PDA

View Full Version : Republicans widen attack to straight families as well

Little_Miss_1565
05-17-2006, 02:51 PM
Saw this on another blog:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/05/17/national/main1625059.shtml

Unmarried couples with children in Black Jack, MO get evicted just because they're not married---and the courts just upheld it.

WTF

JohnnyNemesis
05-17-2006, 03:12 PM
There was a stage where I said "fuck, this country is damn near uninhabitable" everyday, except I knew it really wasn't and I was exaggerating as a way to cope with the steady stream of bad news.

With what happened in New Orleans and the aftermath if Katrina, what's going on in South Dakota, the immigration issue, a bunch of other things and now THIS, I think I can say the same thing without exaggeration.

0r4ng3
05-17-2006, 03:14 PM
The country is going to hell in a handbasket. A very prickly handbasket at that. I hate splinters.

JohnnyNemesis
05-17-2006, 03:17 PM
To be accurate, that handbasket would likely be filled with sulfuric acid.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-17-2006, 03:23 PM
Oh, you have GOT to be kidding me. This administration's taking on a scary Third Reich-ish quality; albeit slowly, but it's there. The most ominous thing about this is not that it happened, but that it's not the end of the road. It's a sign of things to come.

Little_Miss_1565
05-17-2006, 03:50 PM
My favorite part is how today it was announced that Bush is the first president since Nixon and Carter to have an approval rating in the 20th percentile, and 70% of those polled said the country was headed in the wrong direction.

coke_a_holic
05-17-2006, 03:58 PM
Wow.... Just... Wow. :(

barangatang
05-17-2006, 04:01 PM
McCourt declined to be interviewed, but said in a statement that those who do not meet the town's definition of family could soon face eviction.
This is just plain depressing.

Mota Boy
05-17-2006, 05:01 PM
My favorite part is how today it was announced that Bush is the first president since Nixon and Carter to have an approval rating in the 20th percentile, and 70% of those polled said the country was headed in the wrong direction.
I think that's the key thing here. Politics in America oscillates like a pendulum. This conservative/Republican movement has been nearly three decades in the making, and I think (hope) that we're nearing the crest, as you can already see the cracks in the facade. Of course, the "crest" could still be a few years off, and the country isn't going to right itself for a while. We need a strong liberal-ish ideology in order to challenge the crumbling Republican behemoth before it rights itself and emerges like a phoenix from the ashes. I think that the "Cold War Liberal" ideology is an excellent fucking start to replace neoconservatism in foreign policy (see my thread in Politics from a week or so ago), but Democrats need to reassert themselves on the economic front in a way to woo libertarian Republicans to their side, along with developing a cohesive ideology rather than just disagreeing with whatever Bush has to say.

opivy21
05-17-2006, 05:06 PM
That is unbelievable.

Endymion
05-17-2006, 06:57 PM
in all honesty, i'm far more worried about things like the NSA happening.

particularly how nearly 50% of americans APPROVE OF IT!

All About Eve
05-17-2006, 07:35 PM
I think that's the key thing here. Politics in America oscillates like a pendulum. This conservative/Republican movement has been nearly three decades in the making, and I think (hope) that we're nearing the crest, as you can already see the cracks in the facade. Of course, the "crest" could still be a few years off, and the country isn't going to right itself for a while. We need a strong liberal-ish ideology in order to challenge the crumbling Republican behemoth before it rights itself and emerges like a phoenix from the ashes. I think that the "Cold War Liberal" ideology is an excellent fucking start to replace neoconservatism in foreign policy (see my thread in Politics from a week or so ago), but Democrats need to reassert themselves on the economic front in a way to woo libertarian Republicans to their side, along with developing a cohesive ideology rather than just disagreeing with whatever Bush has to say.
Lots of people are thinking Congress is going to go over to the Democrats in the upcoming election. That's the main evidence of a "crest" happening, or about to be happening, I think.

Not Ozymandias
05-17-2006, 08:20 PM
http://www.packingheat.com/images/postelection.jpg

Mota Boy
05-18-2006, 12:17 AM
Lots of people are thinking Congress is going to go over to the Democrats in the upcoming election. That's the main evidence of a "crest" happening, or about to be happening, I think.
I certainly hope so, but you never know. When the Republicans won back the house, there were 117 seats in "contested" districts. This year, thanks to gerrymandering, there are only 43. It takes a whole helluva lot to unseat a member of Congress, and while displeasure with the presidency and Congressional scandals will certainly be helpful, it's not going to be enough. To get re-elected, the Democrats are going to have to come up with a persuasive platform that differentiates themselves from Republicans without alienating voters. And also control talking points in the fall. If everything's driven by a fear of terrorism and gays (see the '04 election), Republicans will have an edge. If it can be about corruption and the deficit (the overall state of the economy is debatable), then Democrats will have a good chance.

I'm a bit excited about some of the ideas I've heard, specifically Rahm Emanuel, the head of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee and all-around Democrat badass. Basically, the Democrats are coming up with a five point platform for the fall: universal college education, universal health care for all working Americans, using a bipartisan effort to balance the budget (also, cleaning up lobbying), cutting U.S. dependence on foriegn oil in half in a decade and creating a national institute for science and health, funding science research so that American can maintain/reclaim dominance. Not really a cohesive economic or social plan, but a damn nice start.

Also, it's amazing how quickly the Republicans are collapsing. The Democrats controlled Congress for the vast majority of 1932/34 to 1994 before they were ultimately done in under corruption and stagnation. Republicans, meanwhile, have managed to set themselves up for disaster after little more than a decade in power.

Nina
05-18-2006, 01:07 AM
I am really scared of the american government and I am not joking either.