PDA

View Full Version : What names do you hate?

BREAK
05-19-2006, 12:18 PM
I tried to come up with a reply to the "favorite first names" thread, but realized it would be much easier to just make this topic instead.

Katherine (also Kate, Katie, Kaitlin, Kathleen, Katrina, and all variations thereof)
Kira (or Kyra, Keira, whatever)
Steven/Stephen
Michael
Tyler
Matthew
Natalie
Tom
Scott
Fred
David
Tim
Jerry
Pat (whether it stands for "Patrick" or "Patricia" or anything else)
Barbara
George
Justin
Andrew

I'll think of more later.

WebDudette
05-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Bob...

I hate when people think it is funny to say there name is Bob.

Rocky-girl
05-19-2006, 12:25 PM
I hate many names but they are Russian you don't know them. And I like some English names that I hate in Russian. Like Jane.

no_way
05-19-2006, 12:26 PM
bob it's always strangely used on comedy... weird...

alright... Ok on the english language there's not many names that I hate (If there's any, I cannot remember right now)
I hate a few on my language (spanish)

my fav one's audrey... don't know why

Sunny
05-19-2006, 12:28 PM
hmm

marissa
andrew
jennifer
heather
stephanie
george
grace
kristin
staycee.. and other names spelled as retardedly

no offence to anyone who might actually be named that. ;z

Andy
05-19-2006, 12:36 PM
Well nice to know I have such a popular name.

killer_queen
05-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Only my name.

Sin Studly
05-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Per.
Maartje.

That is all.

Rocky-girl
05-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Only my name.
When I was a child I used to hate my name, but now I've grown up a little and I like my name very much! And I like that it's not so wide spread and translated into English as it is.

Sin Studly
05-19-2006, 12:47 PM
I hate my name.

HeadAroundU
05-19-2006, 01:05 PM
I hate my name.
oh, I see! sounds like JusTeen.

HeadAroundU
05-19-2006, 01:11 PM
*HeadAroundU, if you are a lazy bitch then HAU.

My name is Love&Peace.

Sin Studly
05-19-2006, 01:19 PM
His name is L'udomir.

Rocky-girl
05-19-2006, 01:23 PM
*L'ubomir

L'udo is people

Anya82
05-19-2006, 01:25 PM
There are no names that i hate, but i hate it when people with last names in spanish name their children with foreign names: english or french.
urgh!

Rocky-girl
05-19-2006, 01:27 PM
I wasn't asking you. If anything, he's entitled to introducing himself, I trust.

Oh L'ubomir, such a nice name! I love those kind of names. I associate it with my father's (Vassili or Vassilios, meaning "king"), Vladimir, Dimitri, Loukianos, & others. Very delicate. Bear it well.
You forgot names with Slav. Stanislav, Svyatoslav, Vyacheslav etc.

Nina
05-19-2006, 01:28 PM
Anya, I AGREE SO MUCH.

When German mothers call their children Justin... oh my god. That's my worst nightmare. It's such a non-German word that it sounds ridiccuulloouuss, coming from them.

But..

Why is Natalie bad?
And why is Tom ridiculous?
And...why Andrew?

Anya82
05-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Jacqueline Sanchez, for instance?

that's my mother.

Andrée Garcia?

that's my grandmother, maternal side.

those are not bad.... but i was talking about "Christopher López" or "Nicole González"

HeadAroundU
05-19-2006, 01:33 PM
I'm HAU THE GREAT for you until the point of change of your avatar.

Vera
05-19-2006, 01:42 PM
My pet peeve is names that used to be nick names but then parents started naming their kids WITH NICK NAMES.

English example I guess would be Andrew turning into just naming your kid Andy or Dick instead of Richard. Or Will instead of William. OR BILL instead of William omg kill stab.

Happens a lot with Finnish names, too.

The irony of this is that my own name is actually kind of sort of a nickname of Sandra. Which is a short version of Alexandra. Hm. Hypocrisy rules?

HeadAroundU
05-19-2006, 02:21 PM
what IS your problem with it? loves you?
To be nice it's depressive.

I don't like 50% of Slovak names and I like all the English names.

Mr. Noodles
05-19-2006, 02:22 PM
To be nice it's depressive.

I don't like 50% of Slovak names and I like all the English names.
Give some examples of the names you hate.

JohnnyNemesis
05-19-2006, 02:25 PM
Sunny: stfu, Marissa is lovely. I agree on the rest though.

I fucking HATE misspelled names. Destiney, Staycee, whatever the fuck.

Other names I fucking despise:

Evan
Jonathan (except I love you, Dr. Treez)
Isaiah
Edwin (except I love you, Jebus)

I used to hate the name Tiffany because this girl in Kindergarten with that name put me through hell. She was really nice to me later in life though, so the stigma has been removed.

I despise the name Sabrina. Girl who did me wrong.

Cheryl is my ex-gf's name, but I still think it's quite nice.

Mr. Noodles
05-19-2006, 02:38 PM
I don't want you to be nice. Be mean.
He's got a very nice personality! It would be very difficult for him.

PsychoticAndInsomniac
05-19-2006, 02:38 PM
those are not bad.... but i was talking about "Christopher López" or "Nicole González"

I completely agree. It isn't so usual here, though (fortunately); the only "common" English/foreign names I can think of are Jennifer, Christian, Jonathan and perhaps Joshua. But it sounds shocking and awful to hear those combinations.

And here in Spain it also feels a little weird to hear some names which are only used in a few regions of the country. I'm referring for example to Basks and Catalans, who choose for their kids names in their languages and then you hear of people called "Edurne Gómez" (Edurne translates to Nieves), "Patxi López" (Patxi translates to Francisco) or "Joan Carles García" (Joan Carles translates to Juan Carlos). Same goes to people who come from the Canary Isles; they name their children Airam, Idaira, Fayna...Not that those are ugly names, in fact some of them are nicer than Spanish ones, but it always shocks you a little bit when you see them combined with Spanish last names.

Vera
05-19-2006, 02:39 PM
Jonathan was this book character in a children's book who was SO HOT, I mean, he was described as this really gorgeous feller so I've always associated that name with extreme hotness.

Marissa reminds me of the OC girl. Not on.

Delilah sounds like a name of an old prostitute who no longer resembles a woman. Dolores sounds like a prude.

JohnnyNemesis
05-19-2006, 02:41 PM
Jonathan was this book character in a children's book who was SO HOT

Ha! Every Jonathan I've known has smelled horrible and been around 300 pounds :(

Marissa reminds me of the OC girl. Not on.

OC?! Whoa. You have unfortunate associations with more than just names if that comes to mind :(

Dolores sounds like a prude.

"dolor" is Spanish for pain, so that name cracks me the fuck up sometimes.

HeadAroundU
05-19-2006, 02:52 PM
Give some examples of the names you hate.
male - Svätopluk, Blažej, Dezider, Alfonz, Ernest, Gašpar, Arpád, Bartolomej, Cyprián, Ignác, Pankrác, Servác, Bonifác, Tadeáš, Dionýz.......
female - Zlatica, Hermína, Filoména, Anežka, Gizela, Hortenzia........

clokey43
05-19-2006, 03:42 PM
I like my name, it's French, Rachelle. I don't like the English, Rachel, though (or any other variation). The name's I dislike the most are Elizabeth and Timothy (although Tim is acceptable).

Mentally_Challenged
05-19-2006, 03:56 PM
Girls names i'm not overly keen on;

amy.
elizabeth.
michelle.
stacey.
kayleigh.
melissa.
chantelle.

boys names;

kelvin.
jack.
ben.
jamie.

I don't necessarily hate them... they just don't appeal to me.

edit; zomg, how the hell could I miss 'chantelle' off. A truly frightful name.

HeadAroundU
05-19-2006, 04:02 PM
Volám sa Ľubomír. Znamená to "láska a mier" zo slovanských elementov ľub "love" a mír "peace".

Nood!es
05-19-2006, 04:39 PM
Martika..I hate that name

Not Ozymandias
05-19-2006, 05:27 PM
Other names I fucking despise:

Isaiah
Knicks fan, eh?

I don't hate names, I feel that I should.

the_GoDdEsS
05-19-2006, 10:14 PM
male - Svätopluk, Blažej, Dezider, Alfonz, Ernest, Gašpar, Arpád, Bartolomej, Cyprián, Ignác, Pankrác, Servác, Bonifác, Tadeáš, Dionýz.......
female - Zlatica, Hermína, Filoména, Anežka, Gizela, Hortenzia........

Those are bad. Except for Svätopluk for he was a great man. I don't hate that name but I wouldn't give it to my child. And I really grew to love Slovak names, especially since parents started polluting with the Western names. Like, at a point all kids would be Kevin. What the fuck, a Slovak Kevin. So bad.

And I absolutely love my name, even together with my surname. I also have an egotistical thing going on and can't stand any other people with the same name as me. Thank God it's so rare. My parents win.

Tizzalicious
05-19-2006, 11:28 PM
Usually they are English names used in Holland. They are fine in English speaking countries, but when used in Holland they are suddenly way white trash. Any English name actually, so I'm not gonna bother with a list. Then a bunch of Dutch ones I hate:

Jeroen
Joep
Kees
Klaas

My mind went blank. The first two would be mine and my sisters names if we would have been guys, I like our names now, so I'd say my parents had a better taste in girls' names.

Rinoa
05-20-2006, 07:01 AM
Girls names i'm not overly keen on;

amy.
elizabeth.
michelle.
stacey.
kayleigh.
melissa.
chantelle.

Kayleigh's my name :P

Rinoa
05-20-2006, 07:12 AM
Names I'm not fond of:

[Girls]
Melanie
April
Sharon
Lizzie
Shirley
Samantha
Gabriel
Olivia
Maureen
Marilyn
(and I could probably think of a hundred more)

[Boys]
George
Bill
Harry
Jeff
Charles
Ben

And practically all Welsh names too