PDA

View Full Version : So...Les Claypool

nieh
05-21-2006, 11:23 AM
He has a new solo album coming out on 5/30 and it's suppose to be different from his others in that he actually plays almost everything himself instead of mostly playing bass and occasionally doing some of the other stuff. Here's half of a new song off his website:
http://www.lesclaypool.com/stream/LesClaypool-OneBetter.m3u

As much as I love Les, his solo stuff is always a lot less consistent than the stuff he does with full bands. The albums always have a few great songs and the rest is just 'meh'. I'm still definitely going to get this the day it comes out though. Also, he apparently has a novel coming out in July and a movie that's already been played at some festivals. He seems to have been quite busy lately.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-21-2006, 11:45 AM
I've heard about both of these, and apparently soon he's touring with the Frog Brigade.

EDIT: Loved the clip by the way. Bit o' jazz fusion. Gotta love it.

Thomas
05-21-2006, 12:37 PM
He's coming to Tucson soon and I am thinking of going to the show. Has anyone else seen him live?

coke_a_holic
05-21-2006, 01:47 PM
I was going to make this thread, but I was too lazy. I'm getting this, but it's probably not going to be as good as I'd expect from Les.

nieh
05-21-2006, 01:57 PM
I've heard about both of these, and apparently soon he's touring with the Frog Brigade.

EDIT: Loved the clip by the way. Bit o' jazz fusion. Gotta love it.

I think he's actually touring with his "fancy band" who basically plays stuff from all his projects. He's coming to Philly on 7/13. Same day as Guster. I dunno who I want to see more =/ I've seen Les before but never Guster and I <3 them to but for entirely different reasons.

ignition991
05-22-2006, 07:28 AM
Hes going on tour with Primus, so i've heard on his Forums.

nieh
05-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Got it today. It's pretty good. More consistent than I expected it to be in that there's only like 2-3 songs that don't really do anything for me, but there's not really that many songs that are especially great either. Anyways, here's the full version of the song that I linked to before, plus another one I just ripped for the hell of it.
One Better (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=A3268AED0C846F83)
Filipino Ray (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=F898242523292FD9)

coke_a_holic
05-26-2006, 08:57 PM
I thought that it was coming out on Tuesaday the 30th? Either way, thanks for the downloads!

nieh
05-27-2006, 05:10 AM
I thought that it was coming out on Tuesaday the 30th? Either way, thanks for the downloads!
It is. My cd store puts stuff out a bit early though. Yay for them!

coke_a_holic
05-31-2006, 05:20 PM
I just got the cd today. It's alright. I'm only about halfway through, and the only ones that have really caught my attention so far are One Better and Phantom Patriot. The others range slightly above/below mediocre. I dunno, I've got a whole other half to get through, so that's just my judgement as of now.

nieh
05-31-2006, 05:29 PM
Yeah...I kind of got bored of the album already. There's only a few really good songs and the rest just sound....ok. And a couple of them are actively annoying so the album as a whole ends up being rather blah.

coke_a_holic
05-31-2006, 06:17 PM
Yeah, that's a pretty good description. It feels like it's an album of songs that weren't good enough to be on Purple Onion.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-31-2006, 06:19 PM
Well I don't know about you, but I adored those two you uploaded. I'm so getting this album.

nieh
05-31-2006, 06:22 PM
Yeah, that's a pretty good description. It feels like it's an album of songs that weren't good enough to be on Purple Onion.

True. Most of the songs sound like he just came up with something in 5 seconds and played it a bunch of times for the verse, then did the same thing for the chorus.

Well I don't know about you, but I adored those two you uploaded. I'm so getting this album.

Yeah, those were two of like...4 that I really liked. Those ones are great though.

coke_a_holic
05-31-2006, 06:27 PM
Yeah, my favorites on the cd are: One Better, Phantom Patriot, Nothin' Ventured, and Filipino Ray. Off-White Guilt and Rumble of the Diesel, I could listen to if they came on. Robot Chicken should've been extended. The other songs are basically between mediocre and unlistenable.