PDA

View Full Version : Minor key?

Thomas
05-21-2006, 12:36 PM
I was humming Gone Away earlier today and I realized something. Wouldn't it be cool if they did Gone Away in a minor key? I dunno. I could hear it in my head and it seems like it would be cool. What do you guys think?

killer_queen
05-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Oh, noooo! I hope we're thinking the same thing about minor key's definition by the way. I hate the songs written in minor. They all sound fucking depressing. Gone Away is cool. It doesn't need to be more depressing.

Thomas
05-21-2006, 12:42 PM
Minor key songs don't have to sound depressing, but I guess it would with Gone Away... whatever...

Teemu
05-21-2006, 01:04 PM
I think that Gone Away is already in the key of F minor.. that's the way i play it! :D

ofsmurfsandpixies
05-21-2006, 01:06 PM
u know-i think that song would be twiced as meaningful in minor key,i think your onto something

Thomas
05-21-2006, 01:25 PM
Yeah, their new album better have more songs in minor key. They do those so well.

Llamas
05-21-2006, 10:04 PM
umm... no offense, but you all don't know what you're talking about. Gone Away (like all offspring music) is power chords. Power chords are only the root and 5th of a chord, without a 3rd (and never a 7th). The 3rd of the chord determines whether or not a chord is major or minor. Due to the fact that they play power chords, and therefore don't have a 3rd of the chord, Gone Away is neither in M nor m.

Don't believe me? Try playing it through with real major chords (EM, GM, DM, AM) and then play it through with real minor chords (Em, Gm, DM, Am), and realize that they both work.

DexterWannabe
05-21-2006, 11:30 PM
i tried, and yes it does work both ways

Teemu
05-22-2006, 01:27 AM
Don't believe me? Try playing it through with real major chords (EM, GM, DM, AM) and then play it through with real minor chords (Em, Gm, DM, Am), and realize that they both work.

that's not true man :D

gone away is in power chords in the chorus, but the little acoustic part is with real chords (Fminor, G#, D#, A#) and even the bass riff is in minor key (F-G-G# is the first part of the bass riff of the verse, and those are the first three notes of the F minor scale).
Is true there isn't a lot of Offspring songs with real chords, but there is some song with a full chord every now and then ("Denial, Revisited", "Why don't you get a job", "Nitro" [especially the intro], "We are one", etc...); at least that is what's written on the songbooks :D

If you play the gone away riff with Fm, G#m, D#m and A#m, you'll hear that something's wrong with the sound.

(it's not an attack against you, just my opinion :D)

-=Xander=-
05-22-2006, 03:41 AM
umm... no offense, but you all don't know what you're talking about. Gone Away (like all offspring music) is power chords. Power chords are only the root and 5th of a chord, without a 3rd (and never a 7th). The 3rd of the chord determines whether or not a chord is major or minor. Due to the fact that they play power chords, and therefore don't have a 3rd of the chord, Gone Away is neither in M nor m.

Thank you for that! It was needed!

That_Guy91
05-22-2006, 04:30 PM

I think you're the one who's confused. I know Thomas isn't talking about the chords, since he doesn't play guitar. He's talking about the key the song is written in.

lost_nvrfound
05-23-2006, 07:11 AM
He's right ^^

Just because they play power chords for their songs, doesn't mean that the song isn't major. You have to take into consideration all of the parts included. Dexter is singing in a major key in the tune, which in itself makes people hear it major. Now when I play/sing it, I drop down into minor because its easier to sing and has an overall stronger effect on the way it is received by the audience at hand.

ygokazuki
05-23-2006, 01:22 PM
^He knows what he's talking about. The chords themselves have no tonality, but vocals usually add the tonality, and bass riffs often show the scale, and thus, tonality. The song is in the key of F, and the chord progression is F, G#, Eb, Bb. All chords are major, as revealed in the acoustic interlude (though you can hear the major "feel" as suggested by other melody lines.
I have the official tab book.

Teemu
05-23-2006, 03:03 PM
you mean the other guy?? :D

^He knows what he's talking about. The chords themselves have no tonality, but vocals usually add the tonality, and bass riffs often show the scale, and thus, tonality. The song is in the key of F, and the chord progression is F, G#, Eb, Bb. All chords are major, as revealed in the acoustic interlude (though you can hear the major "feel" as suggested by other melody lines.
I have the official tab book.

Llamas
05-24-2006, 01:57 AM
yeah, I fucked up. Sorry guys :-P

however, thomas was wrong, cause gone away is written in a minor key.