PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think There Old Live Shows Were Better?

bouncingcoles
05-21-2006, 05:48 PM
i wonder this sometimes because although i have loved offspring since 2000 i didnt see them until 2 years ago. I always wanted to see them on the CO1 tour or before that and im wondering if anyone has seen them on those tours and how they compare to offspring tours now. the only thing i didnt like about the splinter tour was they didnt do the intermission because from what iv seen it looks quite funny and different from what other bands do. I also wish they still did stuff like the bashing of the backstreet boys and shit like that. prehaps its because there just getting to old for that shit these days

ignition991
05-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Actually, it's probably because there's more safety regulations now then there was 5 or 10 years ago. Plus they dont do as much stage diving etc. if you look at an Offspring concert in say, 1994. It was crazier and more underground then 2003.

bouncingcoles
05-21-2006, 05:59 PM
Actually, it's probably because there's more safety regulations now then there was 5 or 10 years ago. Plus they dont do as much stage diving etc. if you look at an Offspring concert in say, 1994. It was crazier and more underground then 2003.

i do know a number of venues that allow stage diving. but its true that there are more safety regulations, and it sucks.

Venom Symbiote
05-21-2006, 09:10 PM
2000/2001 is "old"?

Wow. Just...wow.

-=Xander=-
05-21-2006, 09:20 PM
2000/2001 is "old"?

Wow. Just...wow.

lol I feel old now...

But yeah, the old shows were better (like 94-1997)

Hypodermic_89
05-22-2006, 12:21 AM
Yeah I like the older shows.. The new shows are pretty boring.

DexterWannabe
05-22-2006, 12:28 AM
yes, and they songs were better in the old days shows

-=Xander=-
05-22-2006, 02:58 AM
Yeah, When did they stop doing the intermission stuff??? (or whatever that was) :confused:

Venom Symbiote
05-22-2006, 03:12 AM
:p Intermission still only started with Ixnay. So yeah, haha, stop making me feel ancient. 1997 is still the second-half of their career, not really "old".

But to answer the question, I think they dropped Intermission at the start of the Splinter tour.

-=Xander=-
05-22-2006, 04:39 AM
:p Intermission still only started with Ixnay. So yeah, haha, stop making me feel ancient. 1997 is still the second-half of their career, not really "old".

But to answer the question, I think they dropped Intermission at the start of the Splinter tour.
LOL, Dont worry, saying 97 is old makes me feel like i should be in a nursing home :p

But I think that added something specail to the shows but I guess it really did loose its point somewhere along the lines. I think the guys really need to move around alittle bit more... I mean Noodles and Higgins are about the only ones who shift from one spot theses days :o

Lupin
05-22-2006, 05:59 AM
I mean Noodles and Higgins are about the only ones who shift from one spot theses days :o

Although how cool would it be to see Atom bunny hopping around the stage with a small set of drums taped to his knees.
________
BUY PORTABLE VAPORIZERS (http://vaporizers.net/portable-vaporizers)

Marco
05-22-2006, 11:03 AM
From the videos I'd say the old ones.......also becuase dexter was "younger" and his poor vocal chords were in a better condition (look at the live shows like r :D ockpalast)

Rinoa
05-23-2006, 02:51 AM
I would loved to have been on the Americana tour, especially with the Pretty Fly guy turning up on stage.

But as I never had the chance and I still haven't managed to see them, then any live show would be brilliant enough for me.

Lord_Gabo
05-23-2006, 06:35 AM
I saw the off live in Co1 periods , and i like so much the stand design :)
In Splinter the lights are great ! It's amazing see only atom at the drums when flashing lights! But I hope in some crazy idea for live shows like intermission, water jam , and backstreet boys..
Why don't return at the happiest Keep em separated contest? :)

offspring_freak_3
05-23-2006, 08:52 AM
yeah their old shows were better, they had a lot more energy then now, they used to play the old songs from the first 4 albuns

noodle654
05-23-2006, 04:27 PM
There older shows were better. Ok first off you cant get on stage and stage dive. I mean that was pretty kick ass. And the new shows since there is so much security...you cant even go near them, they stand there in bright yellow or dark jackets. Kinda sucks. If you look at a concert from 1994 or 1993 you can see, people getting on stage and kissing Dexter and just sitting up there and being all chill. I think this is because of Columbia Contract. :(

bouncingcoles
05-23-2006, 06:01 PM
There older shows were better. Ok first off you cant get on stage and stage dive. I mean that was pretty kick ass. And the new shows since there is so much security...you cant even go near them, they stand there in bright yellow or dark jackets. Kinda sucks. If you look at a concert from 1994 or 1993 you can see, people getting on stage and kissing Dexter and just sitting up there and being all chill. I think this is because of Columbia Contract. :(

its just because back then there were less rules and these days offspring play much bigger venues then they did in 1993 and 1994

noodle654
05-23-2006, 07:34 PM
its just because back then there were less rules and these days offspring play much bigger venues then they did in 1993 and 1994

You are right about that! They still play at some small places sometimes.

Venom Symbiote
05-23-2006, 07:39 PM
The rules haven't really changed. Well, the Dimebag incident made things a little different, but The Offspring "toned down" their live shindig way before that.

Thing is, if The Offspring were as big a band as they are now back in 1993, it'd be the same. No stagediving/psychotic moshing. I mean, it's not like the big bands like them of the era had people jumping up on stage. Well, maybe Pearl Jam, but they're different. Guns & Roses, Smashing Pumpkins, Live, all that good stuff were the same as The Offspring now. "Old rules", same results.

If you're playing a small intimate club and you're a mid-range popularity band, sure you'll have the stagediving kids. Not if you're playing an entertainment center style venue. It just doesn't happen.

Don't blame the band as such, it's the venue's security employees and general procedures that dictate these things.

bouncingcoles
05-23-2006, 08:14 PM
You are right about that! They still play at some small places sometimes.

ya, but only like special shows. like when i saw them at CBGBs

noodle654
05-23-2006, 08:18 PM
ya, but only like special shows. like when i saw them at CBGBs

was that a good show?

what was different?

punker
05-23-2006, 08:28 PM
new shows would kick ass too, only if they were more interactive with the audience, now they only play, and barely say something, and its like, "yeah, that was hot!"

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
05-26-2006, 06:01 PM
Yeah, like what the fuck... Why over the last few years have they got the audience less involved with their shows... Getting the audience involved is a big part of putting on a good show and being a good on-stage performer. Is it just because they're getting bored?? :eek:

nameless
05-26-2006, 06:46 PM
i frist saw them in 2001 on the conspiracy of one tour, i think they had a pretty cool live show back then in temrs of the stage set and effects! ive seen them since and now they just seem to go out and get on with it! at the end of the day they are still performing the songs well so i cant complain!