PDA

View Full Version : Online Piracy of Music

cobracommander
05-22-2006, 09:10 PM
Hey, I am writing a research paper on the online piracy of music (specifically downloading songs illegally for free), and I was wondering what people had to say about it. If anyone has any information or opinions on its effects on the music industry, and particularly its effects on bands, please feel free to talk about it. If anyone has been in a band and has experienced the effects of piracy first-hand, that would be especially helpful. Thanks!

barangatang
05-22-2006, 09:21 PM
I think it would be cool to add in your paper something about how CO1 was put up on the internet for free.

Little_Miss_1565
05-22-2006, 09:31 PM
And also how Dexter has since changed his mind about songs on the internet.

Kitten
05-22-2006, 09:37 PM
Or how CD sales have decreased since downloading has become more accessible through broadband.

cobracommander
05-22-2006, 10:32 PM
And also how Dexter has since changed his mind about songs on the internet.

could you (or someone) please talk a little bit about this? I'm not too familiar with the Offspring's views of free music over the internet. Any elaboration would help!

Little_Miss_1565
05-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Try some googling for recent interviews, or ask over in GOD. I don't remember the magazines specifically, but I remember him expressing some conflicted feelings about music online.

Mota Boy
05-22-2006, 11:28 PM
Hey, I am writing a research paper on the online piracy of music (specifically downloading songs illegally for free), and I was wondering what people had to say about it. If anyone has any information or opinions on its effects on the music industry, and particularly its effects on bands, please feel free to talk about it. If anyone has been in a band and has experienced the effects of piracy first-hand, that would be especially helpful. Thanks!
What a coincidence! I'm writing a paper about using the internet to unethically plagiarize research papers! Would you mind giving me some quotes about your firsthand experience?

Sin Studly
05-23-2006, 03:55 AM
Mota, I love you.

cobracommander
05-23-2006, 09:59 AM
What a coincidence! I'm writing a paper about using the internet to unethically plagiarize research papers! Would you mind giving me some quotes about your firsthand experience?

You're an idiot. It's called a primary source, as opposed to a secondary source, which would be books, articles, etc. Maybe if you had an education you would understand that.

Little_Miss_1565
05-23-2006, 10:17 AM
You're an idiot. It's called a primary source, as opposed to a secondary source, which would be books, articles, etc. Maybe if you had an education you would understand that.

Maybe if you had an education and weren't trying to pretend that you did, you'd know that he was making fun of you.

PS--Books and articles can be primary sources, too.

nieh
05-23-2006, 10:20 AM
Or how CD sales have decreased since downloading has become more accessible through broadband.

Major label sales have gone down while indie-label sales have gone up. The internet has made it a lot easier to come into contact with bands a lot of people would never have heard otherwise because of the major labels paying radio-stations to play their stuff.

cobracommander
05-23-2006, 10:26 AM
Maybe if you had an education and weren't trying to pretend that you did, you'd know that he was making fun of you.

PS--Books and articles can be primary sources, too.

what? of course I realize he's making fun of me. But plagiarism is serious, and that is definitely not my intention - we were told to go out and ask people's opinions, which would be my primary source in this case. I will definitely cite anything you guys say on here.

wheelchairman
05-23-2006, 01:19 PM
Actually a source is any fucking thing imagineable. Especially in a historical context. Anything you find can lead to a conclusion.

I know this because I'm friends with a person finishing a masters in their thesis. Not because I care about this pedantic crap.

Mota Boy
05-23-2006, 02:21 PM
You're an idiot. It's called a primary source, as opposed to a secondary source, which would be books, articles, etc. Maybe if you had an education you would understand that.HAHAHA!

If you're going to claim to be the one with "an education", at least get your definition correct.

A primary source is a first-hand account of an event. It's possible to write down these personal observations in "books, article, etc". Maybe if you had the necessary brain power to fully comprehend what you've been taught, you'd be able to understand your precious education.

And I have not a clue as to how the definition of a primary source pertains to the fact that you asked a bunch of strangers to give you ideas for your paper and do your research for you, unless you're using your inability to understand the definition of primary and secondary sources as symptoms of a much broader malady: your complete academic ineptitude.

And Justin, get in line. On second thought, fuck the line, you get a VIP pass.

Mota Boy
05-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Look, if you're looking for opinions, then there's a proper way to do it. Ask people specific questions about the subject matter that they can answer. I.E. "Do you buy more or less CDs now than you did before you downloaded music?" "Has it changed the way you buy music?" Etc.

Don't say "I'm writing about online file-sharing. Give me your opinions." and then, when people do, ask them to "talk about it a little more" and provide you with links. Seriously dude, there's a line, and you've crossed it. If you want to lead discussion and ask people's opinions on your ideas or for their own specific experiences, that's one thing. If you contribute nothing to the topic aside from begging people to provide opinions and articles for you, it's a wholly seperate territory. How the hell were you planning on citing us, anyway? "Boy, Mota, Online Piracy of Music, Offspring Forums, post 17."?

0r4ng3
05-23-2006, 02:37 PM
I don't think he has to cite this. This could be the "personal experience" part of most papers. For example...

"I gathered my own information by asking people from an online forum..."

And no, I'm not being sarcastic, that could probably actually work.

cobracommander
05-23-2006, 03:49 PM
I don't think he has to cite this. This could be the "personal experience" part of most papers. For example...

See, Mota Boy, other people do understand. Apparently they have the "necessary brain power" to understand what I'm talking about. And yeah, I do know that primary sources can be articles and books, but NOT in my case. I was simply interested in seeing what opinions music fans had about illegal downloading. I never asked anyone for "ideas for my paper". I'm sorry I didn't phrase my original question according to your standards, and I didn't realize I had to explain my entire research paper in detail in order for you to just give your simple opinion on the subject.
I am hoping to gather thoughts and opinions on this matter, which is extremely important today for everyone involved in music, especially us as consumers. You know, make some PROGRESS on this issue. But then you come on here and falsely accuse me of plagiarism and now have basically ruined my post. Anyway, I'll keep your very thoughtful comments in mind for when I do future research, since you're obviously smarter than me or anyone else around here.

And to Little Miss, I'm sorry I asked you to explain how Dexter felt about this issue, I didn't mean to make you do all my research for me.

noodlesfan
05-23-2006, 05:42 PM
or how fat mike is about to have his head explode because he's all for freedoms of these kind of things, but he's losing money...don't mention the fact that you download music yourself though...

Little_Miss_1565
05-23-2006, 05:47 PM

No teacher I've ever had would let me get away with that for a second. What "personal experience" part of ANY paper?

Betty
05-23-2006, 07:12 PM
No teacher I've ever had would let me get away with that for a second. What "personal experience" part of ANY paper?

Well, it does kinda sound like something I may have incorporated into something I wrote in grade 6.

Mota Boy
05-23-2006, 10:57 PM
Well, it does kinda sound like something I may have incorporated into something I wrote in grade 6.
Yeah, but I think cobracommander is in big boy school now, though I could be wrong. He certainly is proud of the incorrect knowledge he's amassed over the years.

Paint_It_Black
05-23-2006, 11:39 PM
Anyway, I'll keep your very thoughtful comments in mind for when I do future research, since you're obviously smarter than me or anyone else around here.

Actually, he'd certainly be a candidate if you tried to find the smartest person here. It's unfortunate you seem to have got on his bad side.

I kinda think cobracommander is getting a raw deal here. He didn't really do anything unreasonable, and then simply tried to defend himself against a perceived insult from a stranger. Sure he could have handled it better, but it wasn't too bad. Howabout we all kind of start this thread over and stop with the bickering?

Cobracommander, I can't really give you anything useful. I haven't illegally downloaded music for a while now, but even when I did I honestly don't think it affected the amount of music I purchased. If anything, I might have purchased a little more, because I heard a wider range of stuff that I would otherwise have never listened to, and then occasionally decided to buy an album based on that. Probably not helpful at all, but that's all I got.

Mota Boy
05-24-2006, 12:05 AM
Howabout we all kind of start this thread over and stop with the bickering?
I'd like to cite post #15.

cobracommander
05-24-2006, 12:16 AM
Cobracommander, I can't really give you anything useful. I haven't illegally downloaded music for a while now, but even when I did I honestly don't think it affected the amount of music I purchased. If anything, I might have purchased a little more, because I heard a wider range of stuff that I would otherwise have never listened to, and then occasionally decided to buy an album based on that. Probably not helpful at all, but that's all I got.

Yeah I've done that before too - downloading just a few songs by an artist to see if I like them, and then basing my decision of whether or not to buy the album on that.

It's kind of funny though, the way record companies are handling the situation, particularly the copy-protected cd's they put out awhile ago. I remember when I bought the latest Foo Fighters cd, which only allowed you to import the songs onto your computer using Windows Media Player. Unfortunately I use iTunes, so I ended up downloading the songs illegally anyway, which I normally wouldn't have done if the copy-protection hadn't been an issue.

Paint_It_Black
05-24-2006, 12:59 AM
I'd like to cite post #15.

It was a fair point. I still think we could just informally chat with the guy without specific questions though. They would have been useful, but not absolutely necessary. I just propose giving him a break now, but it's completely up to you whether you do or not. If he had pissed me off maybe I'd feel differently.

I remember when I bought the latest Foo Fighters cd, which only allowed you to import the songs onto your computer using Windows Media Player. Unfortunately I use iTunes, so I ended up downloading the songs illegally anyway, which I normally wouldn't have done if the copy-protection hadn't been an issue.

Actually, isn't it in fact legal to download music as long as you have already purchased it? I could easily be wrong on this, but it sounds familiar.

Sin Studly
05-24-2006, 01:05 AM
I think it's also legal to download music provided you listen to it once, then delete it.

Yeah.