PDA

View Full Version : Today's Newspaper

JoY
05-23-2006, 05:41 AM
I don't really read any high quality newspapers, mainly because I don't sit down to read them at home & I can't pay the price of subscription. therefore I only read the ones you get for free at train- & subway stations. they're not that bad - better actually then quite a few you'd pay for, that mainly consist of gossip & are unreliable.

here's a selection of some articles. I thought it might be interesting to see what's in the news in different countries on the planet. so here it goes.

Government keeps viewing 'Nederpot' (Dutch weed) as softdrug
Research shows that Dutch weed doesn't form a large danger for health. In 1999 the amount of THC in Dutch weed was below the 10%, but the last few years the concentration increased quickly. In 2005 it was 17.5%, after a high point of 20% in 2003.
A higher concentration of THC increases heartfrequence & decreases the bloodpressure & brainfunction more. This causes an even slower reactionspeed, makes the concentration even less & causes the user to have even less control over his muscles. Nothing is said about addictions in the long run.
Acute health problems after the use of cannabis, which needs hospital care, are relatively rare in comparison with for instance alcohol use. There is an increase however in the amount of people that ask for help for their addiction to cannabis. This partly could be caused by the amount of THC, but also by the informationcampagnes & attention given to cannabis problems by the media.

Alcohollock also in Dutch car
A coworker of the German company Dräger demonstrates his product: The alcohollock. The device looks like a large cellphone. In countries like Sweden, Canada & some American states this is already in use. In 2009 this will also be introduced in the Netherlands according to some sources.

In the footsteps of the Da Vinci Code
About travels to the places where the filmset of the movie was. horrible phenomenon this is.

More attention for dyslexia
Many adjustments to high school exams & tests are made to make it easier for dyslexics; such as recordings, larger printed exams/tests, more time in class, etcetera. This should give them a better opportunity to succeed in high school. Universities don't have as many special programs & adjustments, which worries students who suffer from dyslexia.
One girl tells about her problems with dyslexia in high school & how people are often unwilling to recognise her problem. She tells it takes her more time to study, more time to read, more time to write & thus more time overal to study for & take exams. I think it's pretty fair to say that people with less braincells have the exact same problem & no one considers them in the slightest. They just are transferred to a lower level of education.
I was wondering, while reading this article, if dyslexics will still be stimulated to deal with their 'disability' & won't have an even more limited ability to read & write, if they aren't motivated to do as much as they can to control their problem. I think this is a horrible development for our entire educational system.

Less mathematics
In 2007 the amount of hours high school students have to put into math will be decreased dramatically according to the minister of education. For students that do show interest in math, there will be a new course, besides the traditional mathematics A & B: Mathematics D.
I can't even begin to explain how much our entire educational system is going down the drain. Every single new development in this area has made students lazier, have to learn less & has decreased basis, common, general knowledge of students.

Centuries old city discovered in China
Chinese & French archeologists have discovered ruins of a city that's at least 2200 years old. Human remains were also found. No documents were found in which the existence of the city was mentioned.

Drugssmuggler (90) charged
A 90 year old man from Taiwan was arrested when he attempted to go on board of a flight to Hongkong. Officers wanted to help him, because of his age, but he refused. Then they noticed suspicious lumps around his waiste & found almost two kilograms of heroin.

Departure surplus in the Netherlands unique
Apparently more people are leaving our country, than migrate to it.

Child not afraid of bloody images
Children aren't frightened by horrible televisionimages. Only examples in which something happens to children around their own age manage to scare them. 9% of the parents that cooperated in a research said to supervise what their children do & don't watch on television.

Tizzalicious
05-23-2006, 05:42 AM
That's about the same as in the one we DO pay for, so that's nicely saved money there ;)

JoY
05-23-2006, 05:50 AM
I know! it's sort of reliable, except for the fact that articles are too short to actually inform you enough. there's also a weird selection in articles; the ones with relatively low news-value make it to the press. but it's definitely not half as bad as the Telegraaf.

Idiot
05-23-2006, 05:55 AM
Are you going to do this everyday? =D

Tijs
05-23-2006, 05:57 AM
Which one was that? Sp!ts?

I usually read the Metro, I find the Sp!ts to be to chaotic.

JoY
05-23-2006, 06:32 AM
Are you going to do this everyday? =D
most definitely not. ;P why? would you want me to?

Tijs, the Sp!ts, yes. they didn't hand out the Metro today, but I really don't care either way. they're both limited, quite entertaining & relatively updating.

Tijs
05-23-2006, 06:35 AM
I'm only able to get the Metro or Sp!ts first hand if it's before 8AM, after that, they're all gone. Fortunetly, people leave them in the trains when they're finished.

killer_queen
05-23-2006, 06:37 AM
Child not afraid of bloody images
Children aren't frightened by horrible televisionimages. Only examples in which something happens to children around their own age manage to scare them. 9% of the parents that cooperated in a research said to supervise what their children do & don't watch on television.
This is a little late, I guess. Everyone knows most of the children loves bloody images. That's why the child songs and poems are about bloody, disgusting things. That's why children can kill little, cute animals viciously without regreting. Children are so much smarter and creepier than adults.

JoY
05-23-2006, 06:38 AM
Tijs -most of the times it's the same here, but today they had piles of Sp!tses lying at the central station. I love it when I'm biking past a metro station & they hand them out to passing bikers. I dunno, it's just funny to grab a newspaper on your way to university.

Idiot
05-23-2006, 06:45 AM
most definitely not. ;P why? would you want me to?

Yes. It would keep me upto date with whats going on, as I don't often read the newspaper. ;-)

fakejosh
05-23-2006, 10:30 AM
Nice post.

The one about the ancient chinese city really sparked my interest. I am going to follow that one.

[[[[[[[[[[ Fakejosh ]]]]]]]]]]
[[[[[[[[[[ Listening to : Red Hot Chili Peppers - Dani California (http://www.napster.com/player/tracks/16698158) ]]]]]]]]]]