PDA

View Full Version : Illegal Suicide?! WTF???

no_way
05-23-2006, 11:19 AM
I've heard somewhere that comitting suicide is actually illegal, but I hadn't taken it seriously because... well, you know...

Today I'm surfing on the web and it comes out that again, so, I start my researching, and I got shocked:

Yes, it turns out that if you attempt suicide, you may even be sentenced to death in many (many) coutries... SENTENCED TO DEATH!!!! What the fuck is wrong with the World?? wow... I cannot believe it...

nieh
05-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Yes, it turns out that if you attempt suicide, you may even be sentenced to death in many (many) coutries... SENTENCED TO DEATH!!!!

Where are you sentenced to death for that? Suicide attempts = illegal because your life is not the only one that you affect.

killer_queen
05-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Don't be such a cry baby. There's nothing wrong with the world. There's no difference between killing someone and killing yourself. And people need to get punished for doing both of them.

Also if people want to suicide and if they fail I don't see any problem about helping them. I'm sure they are not complaining.

Therapy_revisited
05-23-2006, 11:27 AM
Aaah this is so weird!!

Today some boy tried to jump off the mall car park!

And i heard a man say its illegal to commit suicide aswell.

Weird.

(The boy didn’t jump in the end)

no_way
05-23-2006, 11:28 AM
Don't be such a cry baby. There's nothing wrong with the world. There's no difference between killing someone and killing yourself. And people need to get punished for doing both of them.

Also if people want to suicide and if they fail I don't see any problem about helping them. I'm sure they are not complaining.

Moron. That's why I say this. Not because they're getting punished, but because of the irony of getting sentenced to death. If it's illegal, they shouldn't sentence to death because what they don't wanna do is someone to be killed

killer_queen
05-23-2006, 11:33 AM
Moron. That's why I say this. Not because they're getting punished, but because of the irony of getting sentenced to death. If it's illegal, they shouldn't sentence to death because what they don't wanna do is someone to be killed
Clearly, you have no idea about suicide. If someone tries it and fails it means that someone doesn't really want to die. He's probably an ungrateful person and wants to get attention from family & friends. Those kind of people shouldn't be alive anyway. Like you.

Subsidal
05-23-2006, 11:34 AM
How stupid is it to sentence someone who wants to die to death?!

There's no difference between killing someone and killing yourself. And people need to get punished for doing both of them.
I agree that it's no difference, but people who want to die don't need to be punished, they need help.

Suicide attempts = illegal because your life is not the only one that you affect.
There are a lot of ways to commit suicide without affecting other lifes.

belen1979
05-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Clearly, you have no idea about suicide. If someone tries it and fails it means that someone doesn't really want to die. He's probably an ungrateful person and wants to get attention from family & friends. Those kind of people shouldn't be alive anyway. Like you.

Not always, I think. Sometimes they just fail, as many people saves their lives in accidents almost as if it had been a miracle.

I don't see the point of making it illegal. If think people should have the right to end their lives if they want. If you have the right to be alive you should have the right of death.

no_way
05-23-2006, 11:38 AM

If it was as you said, then they shouldn't kill him, but help him psicologically, everyone knows that.

EDIT: I shouldn't be alive?? you don't even know me in real life! I'm only 14 and english is not my first language, so don't treat me as if I was stupid, maybe I know less than you because I have got less experience. Don't shoot if you don't know who you are shooting, dumbass

belen1979
05-23-2006, 11:38 AM
I agree that it's no difference, but people who want to die don't need to be punished, they need help.

Totally agree. Nobody wants to die if they are happy and have no problems...

killer_queen
05-23-2006, 11:43 AM
Not always, I think. Sometimes they just fail, as many people saves their lives in accidents almost as if it had been a miracle.
Then why don't they try again? They shouldn't give up after failing.

EDIT: I shouldn't be alive?? you don't even know me in real life! I'm only 14 and english is not my first language, so don't treat me as if I was stupid, maybe I know less than you because I have got less experience. Don't shoot if you don't know who you are shooting, dumbass
Aaah! Sorry, I thought I knew you. It changes everything. You should be alive. God, my bad. I'm really really sorry. I should have known you first. *bangs head to the desk* stupid stupid Gulsah!

Rag Doll
05-23-2006, 11:46 AM

it's not the way you do it. it's the fact that you are dead and that affects people.

no_way
05-23-2006, 11:48 AM
Aaah! Sorry, I thought I knew you. It changes everything. You should be alive. God, my bad. I'm really really sorry. I should have known you first. *bangs head to the desk* stupid stupid Gulsah!
I don't know if you do, but I don't give a shit about this topic. I just think you're wrong when you say they should kill people who attempts suicide, they should help them.

JohnnyNemesis
05-23-2006, 11:48 AM

That makes no sense.

Someone committed suicide on campus a few weeks ago. It was really sad. Her boyfriend had just been killed in combat, and she got so sad thats he offed herself. It was tragic, and she seemed like a great person.

nieh
05-23-2006, 11:49 AM
it's not the way you do it. it's the fact that you are dead and that affects people.

Indeed.

Where are you sentenced to death for that?

You still never answered that.

Subsidal
05-23-2006, 11:50 AM
That's right, but there's no law that punish you for making people sad

JohnnyNemesis
05-23-2006, 11:52 AM
That's right, but there's no law that punish you for making people sad

Um, except for the exact law we're talking about.

Subsidal
05-23-2006, 12:01 PM
Um, except for the exact law we're talking about.
Well, that's to see in the statute gazette. If they punish you for killing yourself or for making other people sad 'cause they'd miss you

JohnnyNemesis
05-23-2006, 12:07 PM
There's probably a language barrier here, because I have no idea what you're trying to say. I am sorry.

Paint_It_Black
05-23-2006, 12:27 PM
This thread makes me sad, for all the wrong reasons.

Sunny
05-23-2006, 12:40 PM
I'm not sure about this.

on one hand, yes, it will negatively affect the people around you. but so would self harm, dumping someone, disowning someone, stabbing someone in the back, etc. and none of these are illegal. sure, this instance of making people sad is quite.. er.. final and extreme, but..

i mean, it IS your life. you must obviously be in extreme distress to even consider taking your own life, and having the law step in and punish you after you've failed can't do any good.

I also doubt suicide being illegal would deter people from it. Death is the ultimate threat; if you're willing to face it, you probably won't think twice about the possible legal repercussions. What they gonna do, kill you?

no_way
05-23-2006, 02:42 PM
I'm not sure about this.

on one hand, yes, it will negatively affect the people around you. but so would self harm, dumping someone, disowning someone, stabbing someone in the back, etc. and none of these are illegal. sure, this instance of making people sad is quite.. er.. final and extreme, but..

i mean, it IS your life. you must obviously be in extreme distress to even consider taking your own life, and having the law step in and punish you after you've failed can't do any good.

I also doubt suicide being illegal would deter people from it. Death is the ultimate threat; if you're willing to face it, you probably won't think twice about the possible legal repercussions. What they gonna do, kill you?

I agree with evey single thing you said. And I've got nothing to add to it.

JoY
05-23-2006, 03:24 PM
"you fail at death & THAT'S JUST UNACCEPTABLE. here, let us help you."

I've heard about this before, but not that you could be sentenced to death. that's pretty fucking ironic.
*electric chair* "thanks, man!"
I find it pretty odd that there are places on planet earth where it's okay for the government to kill people, anyway.

offspring_r0ckz
05-23-2006, 03:27 PM
well what about those who maybe try to attempt suicide but dont really make it but win attention? Do you think to punish them too? Arent they victims of society enough? Shouldnt u help them?

JoY
05-23-2006, 03:37 PM
this is what we call mustard after a meal.

Mota Boy
05-23-2006, 03:43 PM
Where are you sentenced to death for that? Suicide attempts = illegal because your life is not the only one that you affect.
How is that justifiable? I don't think you should be prevented from doing something to yourself just because others might disapprove or it might make other people unhappy.

Under that logic, drinking and smoking should also be illegal, as well as eating unhealthy food. Or hell, just being depressed. It's sad when other people are depressed. You really shouldn't bring 'em down like that. I don't think that personal rights should be restricted based on the logic that your own actions affect others. Yeah, sure they do, but they affect you first and foremost, and therefore you should make the decison, not "others".

I think that if you want to commit suicide, you should be made fully aware of the consequences, have counselling and be given a few months to think it over. Then, if you still want to go through with it, eat your heart out. OK, maybe something a bit more humane than that.

Paint_It_Black
05-23-2006, 03:54 PM
I love it when Mota Boy gets everything right. So, pretty much whenever he posts anything.

0r4ng3
05-23-2006, 03:55 PM
I love it when Mota Boy gets everything right. So, pretty much whenever he posts anything.Hey, Mota Boy, I want a soda. Say, "Jesse is drinking a soda".

Paint_It_Black
05-23-2006, 03:58 PM
It might be a little scary to suddenly have your mouth miraculously filled with soda though.

Hey Mota, if you do it, make sure you make it a fanta...

0r4ng3
05-23-2006, 04:00 PM
Fanta?! You're mean. :(

Paint_It_Black
05-23-2006, 04:08 PM
Why the fuck do I even know you hate Fanta? I surprise myself sometimes.

0r4ng3
05-23-2006, 04:09 PM
You know I hate Fanta because you know I like orange soda, simple as that.

Edit: By the way, I didn't intend orange soda with that other post. I want a Pepsi or something.

nieh
05-23-2006, 04:10 PM
I never said I agree with it being illegal, I just said that's one of the reasons why it was originally made illegal. Making it illegal does have it's benefits, though. If someone fails when they attempt or "attempt" to kill themselves, then they can be forced into some much needed counseling that might help that they never would have gone to willingly. Those that still really want to die afterwards will find a way and those that don't want to probably won't. I kind of agree with your last paragraph, but I don't see what would stop people from just doing it on their own like they do now.

Mota Boy
05-23-2006, 04:30 PM
The reason that suicide is illegal is not that it hurts other people, though. It's because, in the Christian tradition, comitting suicide is a sin.

I love it when Mota Boy gets everything right. So, pretty much whenever he posts anything.Thanks man, you ain't half bad yourself. And I don't just mean it because it's true; it's true because I mean it.

Jesse wishes he was drinking a soda.

0r4ng3
05-23-2006, 04:31 PM
I sure wish I was drinking a soda...

Dammit!

XYlophonetreeZ
05-23-2006, 04:36 PM
Suicides need more salt.

nieh
05-23-2006, 04:52 PM
The reason that suicide is illegal is not that it hurts other people, though. It's because, in the Christian tradition, comitting suicide is a sin.

I can't believe that didn't even pop into my head when I first replied to this.

All About Eve
05-23-2006, 05:06 PM
I was getting to the Christian thing, but I also think it's against the law because you're throwing bunches of debts, responsibilities, etc. onto others. Also, I've heard of people committing suicide because they think Social Security benefits can help their family more than they can.

no_way
05-23-2006, 05:10 PM
It's not because it's a sin in Christian religion, the laws aren't made from that on, sins are fixed with penitences, not with jail or sentence to death.

And it can't be illegal because it hurts other people, because if it was, Sin_Studly should be in jail or sentenced to death or something

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-23-2006, 05:16 PM
It's not because it's a sin in Christian religion, the laws aren't made from that on

They are in theocracies, which is where I'm assuming it's illegal.

Rag Doll
05-23-2006, 05:25 PM
I was getting to the Christian thing, but I also think it's against the law because you're throwing bunches of debts, responsibilities, etc. onto others. Also, I've heard of people committing suicide because they think Social Security benefits can help their family more than they can.

Yeah. Too bad if insurance companies find out you offed yourself and that it wasnt an accident (which people tend to try to pass it off as), your family won't get any money. Not sure if that is the same for Social Security, though.

All About Eve
05-23-2006, 05:33 PM
I'm not saying it works, but if someone's crazy enough that they're worth more to their family dead, then they're crazy enough to try.

Sin Studly
05-23-2006, 07:57 PM
because of the irony of getting sentenced to death.

What irony? It's just a kind and benevolent government giving them a helping hand.

Paint_It_Black
05-24-2006, 12:42 AM

I had really expected that reason would have been the first everyone thought of. But apparently not.

Sin Studly
05-24-2006, 01:09 AM
How are we gonna witness to the Saracens if our crusaders can off themselves whenever they feel like it? Forsooth!

.:SMASH:.
05-24-2006, 01:27 AM
hmmm killing someone who is already dead...

-ambition no.9

JoY
05-24-2006, 05:41 AM
It's not because it's a sin in Christian religion,

yes it is.

Nina
05-24-2006, 05:46 AM
Yeah that was my first reaction.
I still dont agree with it. Where is it, though? I still havent heard that answer?

Sin Studly
05-24-2006, 05:57 AM
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/040326.html

nieh
05-24-2006, 06:47 AM
I had really expected that reason would have been the first everyone thought of. But apparently not.

Yeah, I'm pretty appalled with myself on that.

Nina: it's illegal a lot of places (America included). It's just they never mentioned where attempting it is punishable by death.

wheelchairman
05-24-2006, 07:01 AM
Man it's like Ireland only became reasonable recently. I guess they repealed the anti-suicide laws around the same time as they repealed the anti-divorce laws. What a country, what a republic!

Sin Studly
05-24-2006, 07:06 AM
Man it's like Ireland only became reasonable recently.

Are you joking? They stopped bombing the English recently. What the fuck is reasonable about that?

wheelchairman
05-24-2006, 07:21 AM
That's true. I guess it was tit for tat then.

no_way
05-24-2006, 09:57 AM
What irony? It's just a kind and benevolent government giving them a helping hand.

Do I have to say it all over again? They should be helped, not killed. I know you're being sarcastic, but maybe some of you just didn't get it.

Sinister
05-24-2006, 09:58 AM
I know you're being sarcastic

judging by how I know him, he most likely isn't.

Sin Studly
05-24-2006, 10:04 AM
They should be helped, not killed.

They should be helped, but how exactly do you help them without killing them? If you see a man on the side of the road changing a tyre, do you say 'He should be helped, but not get his tyre changed'?

I know you're being sarcastic

I'm not.

no_way
05-24-2006, 10:05 AM
judging by how I know him, he most likely isn't.

It was kind of those dark jokes he makes all the time.

no_way
05-24-2006, 10:07 AM
They should be helped, but how exactly do you help them without killing them? If you see a man on the side of the road changing a tyre, do you say 'He should be helped, but not get his tyre changed'?

If you know he's attemped to suicide but now failed, authorities have the power to kill him or to get a psiquiatrist

Duskygrin
05-24-2006, 10:07 AM
Since when is death the ultimate threat? Just because you might fear it doesn't mean it couldn't come as a relief for those in extreme physical or psychological suffering.

And frankly, suicide is entirely personal. It must take a pretty cheeky gvt to go sentence to death wannabe suicidees.

Sin Studly
05-24-2006, 10:08 AM
It was kind of those dark jokes he makes all the time.

Those aren't jokes.

Nina
05-24-2006, 10:16 AM
Sin & Nieh, thanks for the info!

Sin Studly; I have a question for you out of curiosity: Do you think that people who try suicide but fail should be punished? If so, would death be punishment? I ask this because I dont see the punishment in death when the person WANTS to die. Wouldnt it be far worse/pretty cruel/probably what you'd like (hehe) if they were put to jail all their lives?

wheelchairman
05-24-2006, 10:22 AM
As far as I can predict Justin (which isn't far), I'd guess he'd want them dead because they are "useless" people, his spite against these people wouldn't outweigh his utilitarian cruelty. Anyone want to take bets on whether or not I'm right?

Sin Studly
05-24-2006, 10:27 AM
WCM is right, I don't believe incarceration or execution should ever be used as punishments.

edit ; and I don't think failed suicides should be punished at all.

Nina
05-24-2006, 10:29 AM
I don't believe incarceration or execution should ever be used as punishments.

I agree.

no_way, I really dont see how you could judge Justin. edit: I cant believe you deleted your post. SUCKAH.

Sin Studly
05-24-2006, 10:30 AM
Of course, I still think the failed suicides should be executed.

edit:

I cant believe you deleted your post. SUCKAH.

Don't worry, I saw it too. It's probably just cause I'd posted my answer before they posted their prediction of what I would say, and made it pretty redundant. Nothing to be SUCKAH about.

no_way
05-24-2006, 10:32 AM
I'd probably kill myself if I was so dumb I couldn't even commit suicide. No wait...

edit: you're right justin, that's why i deleted it.

Sinister
05-24-2006, 10:34 AM
What is the most painless form of dying I wonder...

most likely a massive dose of morphin or something along these lines.
and it doesn't take courage to kill oneself, one would have to be a real coward to consider life too hard to take.

no_way
05-24-2006, 10:37 AM

1- when you're just born and you don't know about life
2- when they shoot you, inject you air on your vains or just kill you with a knife when you're under effect of anaesthesia or some other drug.
3- When you're too old to realize you're going to die and you do it on your bed... asleep and unconscious.

i could go on and on

Nina
05-24-2006, 10:39 AM
1- is pretty wrong, tho D:

no_way
05-24-2006, 10:39 AM
one would have to be a real coward to consider life too hard to take.

no, that's not it. Not only fear, maybe if someone is too thoughtful (sickly thoughtful), he/she finally realize what life is all about.

If you say that, you have no idea what life even is. there can be a lot more reasons why you could kill yourself

Sin Studly
05-24-2006, 10:50 AM

Shotgun shell to the pons. Morphine injections can be quite painful at first, unless you get the liquid ampoule kind, which is nearly impossible, and even then there's the sting of injecting.

no_way
05-24-2006, 10:56 AM
Shotgun shell to the pons. Morphine injections can be quite painful at first, unless you get the liquid ampoule kind, which is nearly impossible, and even then there's the sting of injecting.

eerghh.. if it's painful at the beggining then that isn't the less paintful way...

Sin Studly
05-24-2006, 10:58 AM
It's not painful so much as uncomfortable, nausiating, and maddeningly itchy. Shotgun to the pons would be preferable, just a slight pulling sensation.

Actually, the best method would be to lock up all vents in your bedroom, and place a few large blocks of dry ice under your bed. Take a few sleeping tablets and drift off into a slumber you won't wake up from.

no_way
05-24-2006, 11:01 AM
Actually, the best method would be to lock up all vents in your bedroom, and place a few large blocks of dry ice under your bed. Take a few sleeping tablets and drift off into a slumber you won't wake up from.

That makes it all. Good tip for a lot of people who needs help

killer_queen
05-24-2006, 12:00 PM
most likely a massive dose of morphin or something along these lines.
and it doesn't take courage to kill oneself, one would have to be a real coward to consider life too hard to take.
God, you don't know anything about life. The teenagers who listens Linkin Park are not the only suiciders.

There are a lot of things that a person can't take and obviously you don't have any fucking idea about them. It must be so easy to live for you but there are some certain things which makes you don't want to wake up every morning.

no_way
05-24-2006, 01:25 PM
God, you don't know anything about life. The teenagers who listens Linkin Park are not the only suiciders.

There are a lot of things that a person can't take and obviously you don't have any fucking idea about them. It must be so easy to live for you but there are some certain things which makes you don't want to wake up every morning.
though I agree in almost everything, I've got to tell you that no one knows anything about life (yep gulsah, that includes you too). How do you know everything you say is for sure true? Anything could be a lie. But that's a silly issue, I agree with you anyway

Nina
05-24-2006, 01:26 PM
I seriously am not trying to pick on you today or anything, but what you said completely missed the point of killer_queen.

no_way
05-24-2006, 01:29 PM
I seriously am not trying to pick on you today or anything, but what you said completely missed the point of killer_queen.

That's cause I wasn't trying to mark her point, I already said I agree with what she said in general, and I had nothing to add to it

Nina
05-24-2006, 01:33 PM
I see no point in your reply in general, then. But I dont have to :]

no_way
05-24-2006, 01:34 PM
Look the thing is I don't like when people tell other people "you don't know anything about life", pfff, as if they knew anything about it. That's all, it wasn't that hard...

JoY
05-24-2006, 01:39 PM
can we end this discussion now? because it's pretty obvious no_way has little knowledge on the subject she herself wanted to bring to our attention. nothing against no_way, absolutely not. this topic just isn't going anywhere anymore. I don't think there's anyone who thinks killing someone suicidal can be justified in any way (or well, one person maybe), so yeah, the point is clear. killing someone for wanting to kill him-/herself is not just ironic & ridiculous, but an embarrassement for what we call human rights.

XYlophonetreeZ
05-24-2006, 01:41 PM

That's a little unfair. Sinister doesn't know anything about life? Odds are you don't know anything about Sinister. Why would you make such a presumptuous statement when Sinister, for all you know, could reply and give you examples from his life that you don't know about and totally shoot you down? I've been depressed. I'm sure others have had it much worse, but I've felt like that and not wanted to get up in the morning, and I'm still here.

In the case of most people, there's something that makes them want to hold on to life, and it doesn't necessarily correlate to how awful their lives are- just the state of their mind. That's why it's really stupid to launch into a "Your life is cushy and easy so don't talk about suicide being wrong!" attack. It's often rich, healthy people who have been blinded to the darker side of life and can't handle when one thing goes wrong that end up offing themselves, and THAT, I believe, is cowardly and wrong.

I'm sort of surprised that people in this thread seem to have largely brushed off the fact that suicides hurt other lives. Even if it's not why suicide's illegal, it's very true, it's huge and undeniable. Sorry, but if you commit suicide due to a rough patch in your life that you don't feel like weathering, you're a fucking selfish asshole. People need help, don't get me wrong, but they should want it. It always sickens me to see suicide encouraged or supported.

I always remind myself (not because I'm suicidal, it's just sort of a nice thought) that millions of people who are hungry, poor, oppressed, and even near death find a reason to keep on living. They just know that life is somehow worthwhile and keep living.

no_way
05-24-2006, 01:43 PM
can we end this discussion now? because it's pretty obvious no_way has little knowledge on the subject she herself wanted to bring to our attention. nothing against no_way, absolutely not. this topic just isn't going anywhere anymore. I don't think there's anyone who thinks killing someone suicidal can be justified in any way (or well, one person maybe), so yeah, the point is clear. killing someone for wanting to kill him-/herself is not just ironic & ridiculous, but an embarrassement for what we call human rights.

you're right... in EVERYTHING... what can I say? I'm a complete idiot. Thank you very much.

JoY
05-24-2006, 01:51 PM
XY: the reason you just mentioned is the main reason I made a decision to live when I was in deep shit. I didn't know a way out of it, I didn't think I'd make it, but the thought of hurting the only ones who would always love me, despite everything, who would always support me, if I'd only let them in.... I guess my heart was already broken, but yes, you could say just the thought broke my heart all over again. & all I could think was "if I could only go through this another day, maybe tomorrow something will happen to make this situation better."

what I hated most, is that people have always, always assumed I have an easy life. my daddy's a doctor, my mommy's got two companies, we've got a nice house for Dutch standards, I come from a loving family, I've never had to feel I wasn't supported.... people have it worse. if you'd compare situations. but don't fucking compare. because coping is individual, trash that comes on top is individual & I could go on & on. I just wish I could take any thoughts of suicide away from people that are close to me. I don't know when I'll encounter such a situation again, but I hope I'll be alarmed in time & can do my bit to prevent any disasters.

no_way; absolutely not! you're probably just real young, but you try to discuss extremely serious subjects & you don't hold back to tell your opinion & say what you want. you're not an idiot at all to me.

XYlophonetreeZ
05-24-2006, 02:02 PM
people have it worse. if you'd compare situations. but don't fucking compare. because coping is individual, trash that comes on top is individual & I could go on & on.
I dunno, I'd say that's objective. Not to disrespect your situation, but unless you really, really want to kill yourself, I'd think it would be beneficial to convince yourself that it's right to compare. Convince yourself that others have it worse and that it's not as hard as you think to pull through. I'm convinced that it is, just because it's sort of what I've always believed. Is that sorta what you had to do?

P.S. If you don't want to talk about it I completely understand.

no_way
05-24-2006, 02:12 PM
absolutely not! you're probably just real young, but you try to discuss extremely serious subjects & you don't hold back to tell your opinion & say what you want. you're not an idiot at all to me.

I've never felt so low in my whole life... :( :( I think I'm gonna go kill myself a little bit, I'll be right back!

Nina
05-24-2006, 02:13 PM
Well, where did my respect for you go?
ooohh there it goes. byebye.

no_way
05-24-2006, 02:33 PM
^^^^^^^^that makes me feel so much better^^^^^^^^

Now I know there actually are people that are worse than me...

no_way
05-24-2006, 02:39 PM
are you or not talking to me?

if you are, this is Jacques Brel singing.

honey, that's alright but I don't know if it has anything to do with the subject because oh surprise! Not everyone gets french!

killer_queen
05-24-2006, 03:34 PM
That's a little unfair. Sinister doesn't know anything about life? Odds are you don't know anything about Sinister. Why would you make such a presumptuous statement when Sinister, for all you know, could reply and give you examples from his life that you don't know about and totally shoot you down? I've been depressed. I'm sure others have had it much worse, but I've felt like that and not wanted to get up in the morning, and I'm still here.
I don't need to know anything about Sinister's life. If he thinks suicide is just for cowards it's obvious that he has no idea about how simple things can change people's lives. I might have been a little unfair but what he said was quite silly and a little offensive.

Paint_It_Black
05-24-2006, 04:57 PM
I might have been a little unfair but what he said was quite silly and a little offensive.

You're completely right, and weren't unfair at all.

JoY
05-24-2006, 05:52 PM
I dunno, I'd say that's objective. Not to disrespect your situation, but unless you really, really want to kill yourself, I'd think it would be beneficial to convince yourself that it's right to compare. Convince yourself that others have it worse and that it's not as hard as you think to pull through. I'm convinced that it is, just because it's sort of what I've always believed. Is that sorta what you had to do?

P.S. If you don't want to talk about it I completely understand.
how are you disrespecting my situation? I'm not paranoid, so don't make me.

whatever situation I've been in, being honest I know I've *tried* to compare my situation to that of others. like everyfuckingone else. seriously, be honest. doesn't everyone do that at some point in some period in some situation somewhere in their life?

& trying to compare my problems in an entire different context to someone else's is exactly what made me figure out that it seriously can't be compared. I've heard quite a few stories of quite a few people with a lot of drama, but every one of their stories were different. like mine was different. & if I would've thought "hey well, they can get over it, so I should be able to do the same", I can't even begin to imagine how much that would've brought my ego down. because it just doesn't work that way. people don't experience the same - even if they go through the same - & they don't react the same either. & I like I said; then there's the context in which events take place.

& in the end I could in no way compare myself to a lesbian violiniste, who'd been forced into studying at the conservatory & who cut herself. or to a boy who was manic depressed & called me up to tell me he was about to jump out of a window. or to an eleven year old kid, who suffered from schizophrenia at a ridiculously young age & jumped off a building. or to my best friend, who forgot all boundaries in life, crossed every single line & ended up doing a suicide attempt. or my 'sister', who was beaten by her father.

I could've thought they had it worse than me, but does that actually make my situation any better? at all? does that improve anything? or does that just make me feel guilty that I was on the verge of giving up, when they had it so rough? or feel worse about the people I care about, who are in such deep trouble? I just decided I had to focuss on my own troubles for a while to just be over with it. I already distracted myself so much - too much - when I should've just dealt with things of my own.

All About Eve
05-24-2006, 05:58 PM
I think Dr. Trees is saying that comparing shows you that others can have it worse, yet still find something worth living for. It's not supposed to make you feel better, just give you more drive (hopefully) to stick around a bit longer.

no_way
05-24-2006, 06:03 PM
These are terrible issues where it's hard to know who's right because life is how we see it, and how we live it. I know I'm only 14, but I still wanna give my opinion about this, I think it's really interesting.

JoY
05-24-2006, 06:05 PM
AAE- their drive isn't my drive. when you've thought about these things, it becomes a decision - hopefully a conscious one you've thought through. my reasons were probably horribly cliché, but still personal. I could get mushy & talk about why I didn't & wouldn't kill myself, but eventually that's not what this is about. & we're off topic. plus, most people I know who were unhappy like me didn't end up very fortunate & I wonder if they ever even found something to truly live for.

All About Eve
05-24-2006, 06:08 PM
I'm well aware of that. It works for some people, it doesn't for others. I know it never helped me through my many rough patches.

no_way
05-24-2006, 06:11 PM
I don't know why but though I've got nothing to say here, I love reading this thread and its life & suicide stories.

XYlophonetreeZ
05-24-2006, 06:39 PM
how are you disrespecting my situation? I'm not paranoid, so don't make me.
I didn't think you'd be paranoid, but I was expressing skepticism over something you said quite assuredly regarding a serious situation in your life, so I didn't think it'd hurt to throw that in.

I could've thought they had it worse than me, but does that actually make my situation any better? at all? does that improve anything? or does that just make me feel guilty that I was on the verge of giving up, when they had it so rough? or feel worse about the people I care about, who are in such deep trouble? I just decided I had to focuss on my own troubles for a while to just be over with it. I already distracted myself so much - too much - when I should've just dealt with things of my own.
I was thinking more along the lines of comparing with people whose situations got better, so that might give you hope. Focus on what turned out alright, you know, and also think of the people you know (and don't know) who have had horrible shit happen to them but never got suicidal. Not so you'll feel inherently inferior to them, but just as motivation to try and put shit behind you. I'm not saying that you should have a contest in your mind to see whose life sucks the most.

Anyway, I shouldn't question your methods of improvement if they worked for you. Different shit works for different people. In the end all that matters is that it turned out alright.

XYlophonetreeZ
05-24-2006, 06:52 PM
I don't need to know anything about Sinister's life. If he thinks suicide is just for cowards it's obvious that he has no idea about how simple things can change people's lives. I might have been a little unfair but what he said was quite silly and a little offensive.
Yeah, it was careless of him to make a broad sweeping generalization, but I defended him because in probably most cases, I think he's got a point. But your point is taken as well, and we can end this by acknowledging that both of you were a little unfair.

Sin Studly
05-24-2006, 10:55 PM
I don't think there's anyone who thinks killing someone suicidal can be justified in any way (or well, one person maybe), so yeah, the point is clear. killing someone for wanting to kill him-/herself is not just ironic & ridiculous, but an embarrassement for what we call human rights.

1) Will prevent all faked suicide attempts, nobody is gonna cry out for attention like that if it's the attention of the gallows. This law would decimate the emo subculture.

2) Which means the only attempts will be serious ones, so the law won't have to be enacted often

3) A few unfortunates will be hanged for changing their minds, yes, but this is an acceptable cost. It would only be a very small minority anyway, as with the laws in place people would think long and hard over the decision, and never do it intending to fail.

4) This law will cement the euthenasia stance for all those who attempt suicide and end up irreparably brain-damaged.

5) This law will boost the economy, and save the taxpayer money.

6) For the type of people who desperately want to die, but aren't wilful enough to overcome the natural urge to survive and pull that trigger, instead of being forced into 'suicide by cop', which victimises the policemen involved and may traumatise them for life, the suicidee may now commit 'suicide by failed suicide'.

JoY
05-27-2006, 04:08 AM
I didn't think you'd be paranoid, but I was expressing skepticism over something you said quite assuredly regarding a serious situation in your life, so I didn't think it'd hurt to throw that in.

I was thinking more along the lines of comparing with people whose situations got better, so that might give you hope. Focus on what turned out alright, you know, and also think of the people you know (and don't know) who have had horrible shit happen to them but never got suicidal. Not so you'll feel inherently inferior to them, but just as motivation to try and put shit behind you. I'm not saying that you should have a contest in your mind to see whose life sucks the most.

Anyway, I shouldn't question your methods of improvement if they worked for you. Different shit works for different people. In the end all that matters is that it turned out alright.
yeah, I hear you. =) & understand you too. we're on the same level, we just don't fully agree. but we're fine. I didn't think it'd hurt to throw that in. ;P

noodlesfan
06-06-2006, 04:13 PM
assisted suicide for the elderly, and terminally ill, should be legallized, but not to the point where you can just walk into a building and fill out a form to get ousted, there would need to be a system where you request permission from the state, and you get lethal injection if they green light the request, due to constant pain, and no chance that you'll survive, like when you put a dog to sleep because it can't walk, and its body can barely support itself, or when it's got a tumor that will most likely burst, so they put it down to stop the suffering

people with depression who try any type of self abuse, need to be put under surveilance until a doctor okays them, or perscribes some kind of medication, no state in america sentences attempted suicide to the death penalty, and if they do, it's under certain circumstances that it's put that far, usually, it's a minimum of ... years in prison to the death penalty, or something like that.