PDA

View Full Version : Decline in media quality

the_GoDdEsS
05-23-2006, 01:18 PM
I find myself more and more disappointed and appalled by what is presented in the media. I frankly stopped following. It seems like nowadays it is flooded by celebrity gossip and reality shows. What that has to do with the real world, I can't tell. Maybe people just need an escape, some simplicistic primitive bullshit to feed their brains on. Or maybe society's really going down. Eventually, there is no maybe.

I remember years ago there were so many documentaries on TV, so much material to educate you, so many things to learn from. Of course, you could say there are special channels for that now. But the majority of people finds them boring. It was more useful when you had them among the regular programs, so even the regular mortals would sometimes flip through and end up watching something worthwile.

Instead you get served movies on a plate, movies where in the first five minutes you already know what is going to happen, brainless comedy shows or a bunch of idiots in front of a camera all day. Take a magazine and all you get to read about is latest celebrity knock-ups and break-ups and moronic gossip. Why do you even care about the famous? Simply, nothing too intellectually stimulating.

Entertainment yes, education no?

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-23-2006, 01:29 PM
I agree. Oh good lord, I agree.

I love a documentary. It doesn't really matter what it's on. Favourites are war and politics, but I can watch those megastructure programmes, nature programs, anything. It's all so fascinating. Problem is, when I tell people I watch that, they usually either look at me for a while, and then ask "why?" or say "oh right" and then treat me like a social leper. It's annoying.

The problem isn't so much that we're spoonfed entertainment. Entertainment is a relative term. Documentaries have entertainment value, otherwise they'd just be textbooks. Lame textbooks. The main problem is what counts as entertainment. For a while there was an attitude of "you only hate reality shows if you're a snob." Now, only the most pathetic dregs of society watch it. I mean, my God, Big Brother is one of the biggest shows in the UK. Almost everyone watches it. And it's awful.

Look at newspapers, too. The Daily Sport is one of the biggest selling in the country. The reading age of the Sport is 6. I'm not kidding.

Nina
05-23-2006, 01:32 PM
Hmmm. I dont know. Have you watched TV while you were in Germany? Would you say that the same thing happens over here?
I seriously watch a lot of documentaries, and it's neither only on one channel (or two, or three) nor is it only during specific times. There is seriously a LOOOT of stuff on TV that is educating.
And I dont have cable or satallite. I have no idea what it's called, though. But my point is: Everyone is able to have those channels. You dont have to pay for them at all.

Sunny
05-23-2006, 01:33 PM
I don't know, mainstream media has been shit ever since I can remember. When I was little, it was "Dallas", "Dynasty" and that Beverly Hills show, all of them garbage. Now it's.. well, what have you. American Idol and other reality shows.

This is mainstream media, however, which is designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator. It feeds into the voyeuristic needs of the majority; people love watching others struggle, fuck, shower and have nervous breakdowns. We're scopophiles, we love to watch. It's essentially the same mechanism that feeds the celebrity obsession.

It seems like there's a tremendous amount of variety, though - at least in the countries I've been to - and you CAN make your choice quite easily. Your average TV has what... 100 channels? 500 channels? There are so many publications and magazines catered to very specific audiences. You can find TV stations and magazines that deal solely with, for example, home decor. Or yoga. Or 20th century history. Or the sex life of dolphins, whatever. Certainly, the most basic and widespread entertainment is junk (junk I enjoy from time to time, though) - but if you take the time to look and filter through the garbage, you can still find educational or interesting features. Easier than ever, probably.

I'm not sure if these are widely available, but Tivo and similar other devices actually recommend you stuff you might be interested in based on what you've already watched.

I'd say media is actually becoming more specific and branching out to cater to very narrow and demanding audiences.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-23-2006, 01:34 PM
I seriously watch a lot of documentaries, and it's neither only on one channel (or two, or three) nor is it only during specific times. There is seriously a LOOOT of stuff on TV that is educating.

Germany's lucky. Here, it's either during the day when no one's watching or VERY late at night, on terrestrial. The only places to find any kind of decent documentaries are National Georgraphic and UK Documentary, both Digital channels. Watch a lot of documentaries here and you're looked on by most people as some sort of leper.

Nina
05-23-2006, 01:36 PM
Haha, in relation to what Sunny said: We get 20 channels only (but as I've said, it's for free) and about 10 of them are filled with shows that include education of some sort (on a high standard, mind you). Everyone in Germany has them. A LOT of people over here dont have satallite, and the majority of people who have cable only have 40 channels as far as I know. It's not a big difference to what I have, really. Except they have mtv.
Sorry, I got carried away :/

Edit: Dave, that sounds really bad :[ ("digital" was the word I was looking for, btw. duuhh).

the_GoDdEsS
05-23-2006, 01:37 PM
Hmmm. I dont know. Have you watched TV while you were in Germany? Would you say that the same thing happens over here?

Nina, I have watched German TV since 1992. Mainly German TV, even more often than Slovak. And it turned absolutely horrible too. Ever since the brainless entertainment came on, it's been majorly, really majorly worse.

EDIT: I know that it did not happen to all channels. But the mainstream ones. And I think education needs to be in mainstream channels to a certain degree as well. It's just vanishing.

Nina
05-23-2006, 01:38 PM
What channels do you watch? Or to which channels are you refering to? German TV did get worse as well but I still consider myself lucky when I hear the stuff Dave talks about.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-23-2006, 01:39 PM
I don't think Sim's making the point that the number of documentaries has declined, simply that it's been pushed to the fringes of the media and the mainstream has been replaced with mindless sludge. Correct me if I'm wrong.

the_GoDdEsS
05-23-2006, 01:40 PM
What channels do you watch? Or to which channels are you refering to? German TV did get worse as well but I still consider myself lucky when I hear the stuff Dave talks about.

Pro7, RTL, RTL2, Sat1. They all once used to be much better.

Nina
05-23-2006, 01:42 PM

oh god. No wonder. I only watch VOX and the, like, 10 channels I was speaking of earlier.

And I do know what Simona means, and I agree with her, but in Germany it really isnt bad. That's why I was trying to say...

ofsmurfsandpixies
05-23-2006, 01:44 PM

never heard of them

Idiot
05-23-2006, 01:45 PM
I agree with that.

I also think its wrong how people seem to 'take the mick' out of people who watch documentaries, or use documentaries to emphasise how boring someone is 'e.g., "what else were you doing? watching a documentary?".

So it seems people think it almost geeky and sad to watch documentaries rather than this year's Big Brother or whatever.

I personally really enjoy documentaries, and I wish there was more of them on TV, especially on terrestrial TV.

the_GoDdEsS
never heard of them

Clearly, you couldn't have if you are not German or have satellite TV. It was just a very specific example because Nina asked.

And your opinion is?

Paint_It_Black
never heard of them

Posts like this make people not like you. Just so you know.

TheUnholyNightbringer
I admire the BBC for showing quite a bit of Attenborough, though.

Jebus
05-23-2006, 01:49 PM
I agree. Oh good lord, I agree.

I love a documentary. It doesn't really matter what it's on. Favourites are war and politics, but I can watch those megastructure programmes, nature programs, anything. It's all so fascinating. Problem is, when I tell people I watch that, they usually either look at me for a while, and then ask "why?" or say "oh right" and then treat me like a social leper. It's annoying.
Yup, I agree. When I do watch tv, it's only the History channel and Discovery channel. I love almost any type of documentary even those megastructure ones. Only a few nature ones are pretty cool, like the one with that guy whole got mauled by a bear and talks about his questionable sexuality. I also always get giddy when some of those alien documentary comes on.

I think tv has gotten worse, but it was never really good in the first place. I don't recall there ever being documentaries on my local channels when I was young. There were just a bunch low grade comedy shows on all the time. I still prefer those than this new facination with "fake" reality shows.

Paint_It_Black
05-23-2006, 02:00 PM
I don't watch any reality tv. I never have really. I never saw the appeal. I don't watch much tv at all, but when I do it's mostly the History Channel, other than a few dramas and comedies.

Vera
05-23-2006, 02:01 PM
I am waaaay too tired for media-critical musings right now but I recently read an interview of an Indian actor (okay, okay, Bollywood star) who has spoken against what Indian mainstream media is turning into with sensalization and overall just becoming more "entertainment first - news second". Here is a link to it (http://www.tehelka.com/story_main17.asp?filename=hub040106Mainstream_CS.a sp). (The interview in itself isn't mind-blowingly brilliant, it's pretty much things you've probably had yourself if you've looked at the media critically, but it's just cool that there's someone in the Hindi film industry who isn't afraid to use their grey matter and say what they think.)

Or rather, that the entertainment value of the news is what counts the most. Farmers dying because of damaged crops? Eh, put it on page 21, small headline. Actress lost her dog? Omg, PAGE 1 KTHNX, headline text with a font bigger than the dog itself. Bit exaggerated but this is pretty much true.

In Finland currently we have the yellow press and the real press. The "real" press is pretty credible atm but of course some newspapers do have their obvious political biases, though nothing too strong.. Now party is extremist in Finland anyway so if a newspaper leans a bit to the left, it doesn't really mean much..

We also have a government-paid TV channel. Two, actually. The news are obviously catering the government but again, it's not a huuuge bias. Some things about it do irk me, though. But I'm too tired to get into it now. Safe to say, in general the government-paid YLE caters news in about the best format you can get such on Finnish TV.

Jebus
05-23-2006, 02:05 PM
There's a perfect Calvin and Hobbes strip for almost every situation.
http://i4.tinypic.com/10gzb00.jpg

Preocupado
05-23-2006, 02:16 PM
The tv documentaries stopped surprising me because internet has more content. And internet also sums up for quality content as long as i know how to research.

Brazilian TV is a big waste of a lifetime. The News are brazenly politically biased, all the big communication companies are owned by filthy rich jews and the advertizing shits on ethics and shits on the brazilian popular culture.

But there are two particular periods when watching brazilian TV becomes unbearable: February, because of the Carnival, and the years of the Soccer World Cup. It's IMPOSSIBLE to sit in front of the TV for 10 minutes without someone telling you that ALL BRAZILIANS LOVE CARNIVAL AND SOCCER! BUY OUR SHIT BECAUSE WE, LIKE EVERY BRAZILIAN, LOVE THAT TOO!

the_GoDdEsS
05-23-2006, 02:18 PM
The tv documentaries stopped surprising me because internet has more content. And internet also sums up for quality content as long as i know how to research.

I fail to recognise that as a point. What do you mean with "stopped surprising you"?

Preocupado
05-23-2006, 02:19 PM
There's a perfect Calvin and Hobbes strip for almost every situation.

Not only for every situation, but for every situation anywhere on the globe. I saw the strip only after i wrote my renting post and it's amazing how well they match.

Sunny
05-23-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm probably the only person who believes TV doesn't kill imagination or creativity or whatever. I also don't think it makes people stupid. =/ If you can be so easily damaged by mind-numbing entertainment, you have problems far worse than the quality of the media.

Betty
05-23-2006, 02:29 PM
A good example here is we have "TLC" "The Learning Channel." It used to have documentaries and shows about surgeries and stuff like that I believe, but now it almost exclusively airs "Trading Spaces" and the bazillion slight variations of "Trading Spaces" as well as "A Wedding Story" "A Baby Story" and all those types of shows.

Reality TV is pretty terrible.

But how about those awful game shows? There are the moderately cool ones such as fear factor, but stuff like "Deal or no Deal." I have not even watched it, but by the explanations I have heard, I want to avoid it with a 10 foot pole.

Preocupado
05-23-2006, 02:30 PM
I fail to recognise that as a point. What do you mean with "stopped surprising you"?

I mean that everything that used to be new, surprising and fascinating about the documentaries can now be found on the internet more quickly, in a more directed way, and with as much information and multimedia as i like. That way the tv documentary lost it's magic for me.

Betty
05-23-2006, 02:31 PM
Magdalena, I would probably agree it doesn't make you any stupider, but it is definitely a big time-waster and an easy trap to fall into, by choice of course, but still.

Demon_of_Debauchery
05-23-2006, 02:35 PM
I hardly ever watch TV anymore more because all it shows is these stupid reality shows because the chavs are taking over and the chavs are too thick to understand anything more educational so they sit around watching things like Big Brother where all the people in the house are chavs who act all happy and hyper so they don't get voted off its so fake. Now there's a reality show for everything and they're all the same. I even saw a wedding reality show advertised.

Jebus
05-23-2006, 02:39 PM
I'm probably the only person who believes TV doesn't kill imagination or creativity or whatever. I also don't think it makes people stupid. =/ If you can be so easily damaged by mind-numbing entertainment, you have problems far worse than the quality of the media.
I don't think tv kills imagination or makes you stupid either. It just wastes your time and stops you from reading, watching, or doing more worthwhile things that will actually stimulate your mind into doing some actual thinking.

Sunny
05-23-2006, 02:48 PM
It is a time waster, but so is posting on a message board. ;p

I don't know, I'm getting kinda sick of people who think entertainment (tv, movies) needs to be constantly intellectually stimulating. Reality TV is mind-numbing, but I find it entertaining - it has no actual value other than making me giggle and relax. And I believe that's what entertainment is for. I agree that there needs to be educational stuff on tv - and there is - but there's also nothing wrong with 30 minutes of completely vapid superficial media stuff, as long as you find it entertaining.

Rag Doll
05-23-2006, 02:53 PM

I don't know, I'm getting kinda sick of people who think entertainment (tv, movies) needs to be constantly intellectually stimulating. Reality TV is mind-numbing, but I find it entertaining - it has no actual value other than making me giggle and relax. And I believe that's what entertainment is for. I agree that there needs to be educational stuff on tv - and there is - but there's also nothing wrong with 30 minutes of completely vapid superficial media stuff, as long as you find it entertaining.

Totally agreed.

I disagree with Michelle about Fear Factor, though. I think that has to be one of the worst shows out there. Paying people to eat bull testicles...oh yes, wonderful television. Can't say anything about Deal or No Deal, cause I never saw it.

no_way
05-23-2006, 02:57 PM
The thing is that here, comedy series (the most used factor here) aren't only educative, but they're also tremendously stupid. They do the same jokes all over again and when they don't know what to do, they go ahead with nudies. And the most depressing thing is that people still laugh at it, and watch it with no shame. If you think the situation there's bad, well do not come here because you'll find it much more depressing.

HeadAroundU
05-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Discovery and Spektrum FTW! :cool:

Izie
05-23-2006, 03:57 PM
I swear, after 2 months of not having a TV, I barely even turn it on now.

I'd agree with Sunnies that some mindless entartainment is good, excellent even, to relax my poor tortured braincells, but oh man, the bad effects it can have? Blegh, the Serbian example of bad TV + bad music + overall bad taste... Yeah. MTV has nothing on us, a particular Tv station here has ruined generations of children, and no one thinks it's bad at all. Sad.

Thank heavens for cable though, this way at least I can find some educational/other remotely interesting stuff to watch.

Nina
05-23-2006, 04:02 PM
I don't know, I'm getting kinda sick of people who think entertainment (tv, movies) needs to be constantly intellectually stimulating.

Absolutely.
That, and that not every scene in a movie has to be realistic, but that's just (yet another) pet peeve of mine. :P

Betty
05-23-2006, 04:06 PM
I disagree with Michelle about Fear Factor, though. I think that has to be one of the worst shows out there. Paying people to eat bull testicles...oh yes, wonderful television. Can't say anything about Deal or No Deal, cause I never saw it.

Ha, it's all relative though in their varying degrees of terribleness. Watching people do a series of challenging/frightening tasks is much better than somebody randomly choosing... wait... I'll quote the rules from the site:

"The rules are simple. Choose a briefcase. Then as each round progresses, you must either stay with your original briefcase choice or make a "deal" with the bank to accept its cash offer in exchange for whatever dollar amount is in your chosen case.

Once you decide to accept or decline the bank's offer, the decision is final.

Contestants are encouraged to ask friends or family in the audience for advice; however, only the contestant's answer will be considered binding and final."

Doesn't that sound ridiculous? It's a 100% random game show. Actually, it's pretty impressive that they can draw viewers with such an inane premise for a game.

Oh, and another favourite of mine that I have not seen and do not ever intend to see.

Unan1mous:
"In a dramatic new television experiment, a diverse group of nine strangers are locked in a bunker, where they'll remain until they decide who is worthy of a 1.5-million-dollar cash prize. There is a catch, though, because the longer it takes to make a unanimous decision, the less money there will be to win. If they take too long, they will be left with nothing."

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-23-2006, 04:16 PM
Nobody's saying that all TV has to be intellectually stimulating. But that's not to say making it interesting on a different level other than the lowest will necessarily detract from it's entertainment value. Fraiser, House and CSI all leap to mind. Intellectually stimulating, and also really really entertaining.

Rag Doll
05-23-2006, 04:17 PM
Deal or No Deal does sound pretty ridiculous. That other one has to be the most ridiculous thing ever, though. I remember seeing the commercials for it and being all "wtf?"

And I think there are lots of at least relatively educational things on tv. The basic free channels here do have their share of mindnumbing entertainment, like American Idol and Desperate Housewives. They also have other shows like Dateline or 20/20....which are at least a bit more educational than watching Eva Longoria seduce the gardener. There are others too, but I gotta admit...I'm one of the people that would rather watch American Idol than the History Channel.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-23-2006, 04:21 PM
While we're on the subject, the first two series of Pop Idol were far superior to American Idol in every way. Now they're sort of the same.

All About Eve
05-23-2006, 05:29 PM
I actually kind of like American Idol, since this season serious musicians actually tried out.

But really, I watch an hour or two max of TV a week. There are too many commercials to make documentaries worth while, otherwise all I'd watch is maybe Seinfeld or something like that if I'm eating dinner alone.

the_GoDdEsS
05-23-2006, 10:16 PM
I swear, after 2 months of not having a TV, I barely even turn it on now.

I've noticed the same with me. I haven't watched TV properly in over a year. I occassionally sit through the 15 minutes of news or my favourite childhood shows during the big holidays.

I'm not even saying TV should be intellectually stimulating only. Sometimes people need light entertainment. But that entertainment is mind-numbingly stupid.

Tizzalicious
05-24-2006, 12:05 AM
My mom wants a satelite so she can get more German channels. She always talks about how great they are.

Dutch channels suck. I hardly watch any TV, there's just nothing I like.

Ironically, the only thing I do watch is a terrible soap opera. I got addicted to it when I was ill and bored a few months ago.

T-6005
05-24-2006, 12:18 AM
I watch TV shows on DVD. I can't stand commercials, so I can't watch normal TV and sit through anything. I can't settle for 20 minutes of commercial per hour or whatever it is, it's ridiculous.

When I'm in Canada, I do go into the common room when no one's around and flip on the early morning french shows, though, since I can't watch them when others are around. It's not necessarily quality, it's just nice to hear people speaking French for once.

But basically, I agree that education has been sacrificed in large part for entertainment in television, but I don't find it surprising or sad in any way. Television's sole purpose, to my mind, is to be entertainment. Sure, it'd be nice to have more interesting (possibly even educational) programs and shows on normal channels, but it would very much surprise me if that ever happened.

Sin Studly
05-24-2006, 01:16 AM
Your average TV has what... 100 channels? 500 channels?

What the fuck? We have six channels, including two that almost no televisions can manage to tune themselves in to recieve..

Paint_It_Black
05-24-2006, 01:27 AM
Oh? So in a sense, you could say you're much like the Brits then?

Vera
05-24-2006, 02:45 AM
What the fuck? We have six channels, including two that almost no televisions can manage to tune themselves in to recieve..
We have six local channels (if MTV Finland counts as local, I think it does since the news are in Finnish and most programs are subtitled), not including digital channels OR paid cable. Some people only get 4 or five, though. Some people only get three.

This 100-500 business is way, way American.

killer_queen
05-24-2006, 04:28 AM
I stopped watching TV a long time ago. Things are a little different in Turkey. There's no decline because our media has always been the worst. The whole situation is just sad. The worse thing is, people just love all those stupid shows and gossips.

Sin Studly
05-24-2006, 05:17 AM
Do Turks still think that Turkan person is the most famous pop culture figure in the universe?

Nina
05-24-2006, 05:45 AM
That made me laugh. I dont think they've thought that in the "near" past! Maybe twenty or thirty years ago.

killer_queen
05-24-2006, 06:55 AM
Do Turks still think that Turkan person is the most famous pop culture figure in the universe?
lolz, no, they don't anymore. But a big part of the society still thinks she is the most beautiful woman in the world.

Sin Studly
05-24-2006, 07:09 AM
lolz, no, they don't anymore.

Thank fuck for that. Who's replaced her?

wheelchairman
05-24-2006, 07:15 AM
I love modern media.

It's fantastic. Of course there has been a decline. But the internet is awesome. I mean it's the complete de-monopolization of the media. The flow of information has been given back to the hands of the average person.

And what has the average person done with the internet? He's turned it into a haven for himself. He's ruined the Record Company monopoly on music by sinking their profits with the coming of free illegal downloading. Not only is that beautiful, it's also really funny. Programs, software, tv, everything imagineable, the internet has enabled the common man to gain what he wants with no cost, due to simple "piracy."

It's a complete reversal of power positions. I need to write an article about this, and it's gonna be based on this line of thought.

Not only that, but the internet has created it's own entertainment. Something Awful, Home Star Runner, Happy Tree Friends. It's own comics. News, for the first time in years, has been wrested from the Associated Press and Reuters, and independent sources of news have been sent directly to the mainstream.

Wikipedia is the best example. It is one of the largest libraries of information out there, and it is run completely non-profit and free. A donation based organization that provides free information for all, written by all.

The internet is awesome. And it's self-purifying. The bbs is a good example, we shun the "unacceptables." So not even the losers are safe here anymore, as some bbs members pointed out a while ago.

Sin Studly
05-24-2006, 07:17 AM
The unacceptables are far more accepted than is acceptable to me.

wheelchairman
05-24-2006, 07:22 AM
But they are far less accepted than they were years ago. Think about it, this trend should continue.

Sin Studly
05-24-2006, 07:38 AM
Not true. Certain people have become more acceptable, with no marked improvement ; simply because too many people have accepted that they will never ever improve or leave.

I'm not naming names, because they'll jump in to say I love them (:D:D:D), but you know exactly who I mean.

wheelchairman
05-24-2006, 07:46 AM
But Justin, I don't think anyone on here KNOWS First. :/

Sin Studly
05-24-2006, 10:09 AM
Haha, gotta love him :D:D:D

no_way
05-24-2006, 10:17 AM
Getting to the topic "can it affect your brains?", well, I know that it's scientifically proved that video-clips do affect your life, more for early teens. This is because images most usually have no plot, no sense, and they give you an image each 3 secs, so, teenagers (because they're nearly the only ones that watch MTV) lately cannot focus on something that lastsa more than 3 seconds. They can't study, they can't read novels. Of course this doesn't affect every single human, but talking in general terms, it does.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-24-2006, 10:58 AM
While we're on this subject, I just found out something extraordinary. While Big Brother's on, the E4 Channel run live broadcasts of the house, pretty much none-stop. Even while they're all asleep. And at about 3am, when they're all asleep and the house is in darkness, there's still about 10,000 viewers watching it. Incredible.

no_way
05-24-2006, 11:05 AM
While we're on this subject, I just found out something extraordinary. While Big Brother's on, the E4 Channel run live broadcasts of the house, pretty much none-stop. Even while they're all asleep. And at about 3am, when they're all asleep and the house is in darkness, there's still about 10,000 viewers watching it. Incredible.

:eek: --I get speechless

I didn't even know Big Brother was still there. Here (Argentina) they did 3 versions and stopped. On the 3rd, one girl used to be a prostitute because she needed the money to pay for the education of the kid. I never actually saw it or believed it. Total bullshit if you ask me.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-24-2006, 11:07 AM
We're onto the 7th series now. Yes, you read that right. The SEVENTH.

no_way
05-24-2006, 11:11 AM
WOW....
just WOW..

But is it as stupid as here? I mean are they the whole day lying on a couch massaging theirselves? are they? The WHOOOLE DAY??

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-24-2006, 11:14 AM
I don't watch it, but that's what I gather.

no_way
05-24-2006, 11:18 AM
Well there you go... Society's falling down and down... Can we help it? I don't think so...

Kerr
05-24-2006, 03:02 PM

That's quite true - you need a break from educational things and have a few laughs too.

However, I found I have given up on TV altogether at the moment. I hardly watch ANYTHING. I just don't even bother looking for the good programmes because it's shrouded by the bullshit. I ought to though, I know that. Very occasionally I actually do.

I hate reality TV though, and I've never been entertained by it. At the time it was being shown, I liked the first series of Hell's Kitchen but the whole apparent joke regarding Gorden Ramsey's swearing is just not fucking funny at all. And don't talk to me at all about Big Brother. Ugh.

And that fucking SICKENS me.

PsychoticAndInsomniac
05-24-2006, 04:31 PM

Same here in Spain. The seventh ended not many months ago, and the eighth is probably coming soon.

Besides, we have a bunch of Big Brother variants in between, such as Hotel Glam ('famous' people doing anything but dicking around), La Granja (also dicking around, but on a farm - YES, a farm), Supervivientes (more 'famous' people, this time trying to 'survive' on a desert island)...and many more.

It is absolutely amazing how much relevance pink press has gained here during the last 3-5 years. It almost monopolizes TV, really.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-24-2006, 04:32 PM
We've had all of those variants, too.

the_GoDdEsS
05-24-2006, 11:03 PM
...Seven? That's absolutely horrible.

T-6005
05-24-2006, 11:16 PM
La Granja (also dicking around, but on a farm - YES, a farm)
We had that in France, called La Ferme.

I am so glad I never saw it.

Sin Studly
05-25-2006, 12:18 AM
I think we should have a version of 'Survivor' where the contestants aren't actually expected to survive.

T-6005
05-25-2006, 05:49 AM
I think we should have a version of 'Survivor' where the contestants aren't actually expected to survive.
I'd watch that.

But Amnesty members would have to start shitting trees.

wheelchairman
05-25-2006, 05:58 AM
We could put Amnesty members on that island. Take them off the streets of Copenhagen. One would almost believe they were homeless, the way they walk the streets all dirty and dreadlocked asking people for money.

T-6005
05-25-2006, 06:02 AM
In that case, we can call it Survivor, but make it more Battle Royale style. See who really holds on to human rights.

Sin Studly
05-25-2006, 06:21 AM
Survivor ; The Antonym!

Rocky-girl
05-29-2006, 05:26 AM
I don't like to watch TV and don't like to read newspapers.. There are alot of wrong things they like to make all better then it is. I don't like. I think that bitter true better sweet lie.