PDA

View Full Version : X-Men 3 - topic will contain major spoilers

Vera
05-25-2006, 01:07 AM
If I had to eloquently describe this film, I'd say that it was very disappointing on all fronts, both on its own and when compared to the first two films.

If I had to describe it less eloquently, I would say: WTF.

First of all, the Rogue storyline. Out of character, much? Oh, but she "did it for herself". My arse she did. She saw her boyfriend making puppy eyes of "sympathy" to Kitty and decided that if she wanted to keep him, she'd have to destroy a part of herself - her powers.

The Mystique thing was just sad. Magneto's ebil yeah but I thought he had some, well, not human decency but mutant decency? But no, apparently not. Suck.

Phoenix stuff was good but not utilized well enough.

The new characters? Sucked. Ass. I swear Callisto was there just because two women fighting (because she ONLY fought with Storm, for some UNIMAGINABLE reason) is liek, totally hawt to some males. Angel? Zzzzzzz. Those other two mutants, the Asian guy and the androgynic girl? Yeah, don't even fucking remember their names.

They sure tried with Kitty but the actress sucked. No good, no good.

Oh, and then there was mutant from which they extracted the cure. I kept thinking, why don't they use this boy against Phoenix? Because you just let him walk close enough and he totally strips her of power. But nooooo, do go for a clichéd love scene complete with corny dialogues "For them?" "4 U!11" and have the ending look like a cover of some romance novel (red, long-haired female, muscled guy without a shirt - enough said!).

Oh and why the FUCK did they let the kid into their school? How the fuck does that work, I ask you?

I'm not crying for my money lost, I'm glad I saw it just to see it for myself and get confirmation for those negative reviews I read.

Discuss.

Sin Studly
05-25-2006, 01:21 AM
The new characters? Sucked. Ass. I swear Callisto was there just because two women fighting (because she ONLY fought with Storm, for some UNIMAGINABLE reason) is liek, totally hawt to some males.

Action movie staple, it promotes feelings of 'zomg girlpower' to the type of chicks who dig action movies, and the guys get to see two babes grappling and grabbing at each other. It's pretty pathetic, and insanely obvious every time a director uses it, but if I were to direct action movies I wouldn't be stupid enough not to put it in.

Vera
05-25-2006, 02:34 AM
I love girl power and chicks kicking ass but I rarely get this vibe from Hollywood films. I just get annoyed with the lack of depth. Like, there's nothing new to the fact that women can kick ass in films. Now, what WOULD be new is that a girl would have depth, a personality AND could kick ass.

Sin Studly
05-25-2006, 03:34 AM
Depth and personality alone is asking a lot, let alone asking for it in a female character in an action movie. Remember that usually the only concession to female viewers in action movies is to have the obligatory leading male buttocks shot.

Sin Studly
05-25-2006, 05:23 AM
But I don't have the money to...

Uh-oh, time to hit the corner again?

OnSpring!
05-25-2006, 06:08 AM
X-men sucks.
Anyway....those stupid mutants are retarded.

Vera
05-25-2006, 06:31 AM
X-men sucks.
Anyway....those stupid mutants are retarded.
Thank you for this insightful and educated opinion.

nieh
05-25-2006, 06:54 AM
Yargh. The second one was quite good and I'm the only person I know that didn't hate the first one (though I will admit the second was much, much better). It got kind of soap opera-ish as it went on but it was entertaining. Is this one redeeming at all?

Vera
05-25-2006, 07:07 AM
A few very nice visually stunning scenes that involve moving very, very big things. Rebecca Romjin looking nude & gorgeous. Hugh Jackman without a shirt. Take your pick.

As I said, I'm glad I went to see it to form an opinion on my own and not just blindly follow the reviews but unless you count yourself a fan of the film series, best to stay at home.

Preocupado
05-25-2006, 07:20 AM
I'll probably watch X-Men 3 in a few years, when it hits the brazilian open TV. I'll bump this thread when that happens.

OnSpring!
05-25-2006, 07:58 AM
I'll watch X-men 3 when i want to watch a shitty movie.

Vera
05-25-2006, 08:29 AM
Yeah, it wasn't good, but unlike you, I've actually seen it before I judged it.

So fucking shut up, Italian prickwart.

ninthlayer
05-25-2006, 07:42 PM
Thank you for this insightful and educated opinion.
I love you.

Ninty Man
05-25-2006, 08:35 PM
Yeah, it wasn't good, but unlike you, I've actually seen it before I judged it.

So fucking shut up, Italian prickwart.

Well... I really liked it... I don't know... too emotional... good action, great effects... personally... I think that this director change was necessary

Apathy
05-25-2006, 09:06 PM
It's not out until tomorrow in the US. So.... yeah, I thought it was pretty obvious it was going to suck.

Paint_It_Black
05-25-2006, 09:16 PM
I didn't like the first one very much when I first saw it. Then I saw the second one and loved it. I loved it enough to watch the extended dvd of the first one, which I liked a lot more than the original release. Now I'm about to go see a midnight showing of the new one, and hope like hell that this is one of those rare instances when Vera is completely wrong.

T-6005
05-25-2006, 09:59 PM
Yeah, I don't think I'll be seeing this new one until next week. It comes out today, but that means I won't be able to see it this weekend at all. Instead, I'm bending to my brother's insistence that we MUST see the Da Vinci Code.

I'm only going because that way I can eat out and stay out of the house for a little bit.

OnSpring!
05-25-2006, 11:19 PM
Vera, you're gross like no other girl in the world. Ugh.
Could a girl really talk like this?

OnSpring!
05-25-2006, 11:20 PM
Oh, i'm sagittarius and crazy.

Paint_It_Black
05-26-2006, 05:04 AM
Yeah, Vera was mostly right. Fuck.

But maybe Superman will be good. Except I don't like Superman. Fuck.

sKratch
05-26-2006, 08:51 AM
If I had to eloquently describe this film, I'd say that it was very disappointing on all fronts, both on its own and when compared to the first two films.

If I had to describe it less eloquently, I would say: WTF.
You don't read comics, do you...

First of all, the Rogue storyline. Out of character, much? Oh, but she "did it for herself". My arse she did. She saw her boyfriend making puppy eyes of "sympathy" to Kitty and decided that if she wanted to keep him, she'd have to destroy a part of herself - her powers.
It bothered me too a little bit, but not really that out of character. Rogue always struggles with the fact that she can't touch anyone (although Gambit should be her lover-boy, fuck them for not having him in the movie).

The Mystique thing was just sad. Magneto's ebil yeah but I thought he had some, well, not human decency but mutant decency? But no, apparently not. Suck.
I completely disagree. Magneto is a man of principle. It was a very Magneto thing to do to leave Mystique behind once she became human.

Phoenix stuff was good but not utilized well enough.
The main problem was there's NO WAY they could have done dark phoenix the proper way, with the Shi'aar and everything, in a movie. I'm only familiar with Uncanny and Ultimate, so maybe they borrowed this version of Phoenix from some universe I haven't read.

The new characters? Sucked. Ass. I swear Callisto was there just because two women fighting (because she ONLY fought with Storm, for some UNIMAGINABLE reason) is liek, totally hawt to some males. Angel? Zzzzzzz. Those other two mutants, the Asian guy and the androgynic girl? Yeah, don't even fucking remember their names.
I agree that the Brotherhood mutants, for the most part, were pretty lame. And Halle Berry apparently threw a shitfit and demanded she have a bigger role. She had a few lame lines throughout the movie that appeared to be a result of this. That bothered me.

They sure tried with Kitty but the actress sucked. No good, no good.
I spent a good amount of the movie wondering if I should feel bad about thinking she was really fucking adorable. She's 17 or 18. Score.

Oh, and then there was mutant from which they extracted the cure. I kept thinking, why don't they use this boy against Phoenix? Because you just let him walk close enough and he totally strips her of power. But nooooo, do go for a clichéd love scene complete with corny dialogues "For them?" "4 U!11" and have the ending look like a cover of some romance novel (red, long-haired female, muscled guy without a shirt - enough said!).

Oh and why the FUCK did they let the kid into their school? How the fuck does that work, I ask you?
Remember how close Hank had to get to the kid before it had an effect? Remember how Jean was destroying EVERYTHING around her, except Logan, probably because she had deep feelings for him? And anyone except Logan would have died approaching her; he could only survive because of his healing factor. And the fact that he had to kill Jean, his love, was a tribute to all the fucked up shit Wolverine has to put up with through his life. In Uncanny, Euriko, his girlfriend, becomes Lady Deathstrike and wants to kill him. Life ain't a party for our friend Logan.

So I'm gonna go ahead and say I loved the movie.

Edit:
The scene after the credits? Boner time!

Vera
05-26-2006, 11:44 AM
Sorry, my geekdom only covers good superhero movies and semi-good such. And I'm a movieverse fan with X-Men and this edition just didn't compare to the previous ones.

Richard, saw the Superman Returns trailer when I saw X3. I can say with 95% confidence that it's going to suck and the only good thing about it will be Kevin Spacey as Luthor.

sKratch
05-26-2006, 01:14 PM
Um. I saw a Snakes on a Plane teaser with X3. kthx.

kamikaze
05-26-2006, 04:09 PM
Did you see what happened after the credits, or are you one of the people who have to run out the second the screen goes black?

I personally thought it was a wonderful movie. Definitely my favorite of the X-Men series. And after the ending, if they don't make a fourth installment, I will be the most disappointed I've ever been with a movie. I fully understand what you're saying about the movie, and I do agree with you on a few of the points, but this is the first of the series to really enthrall me. I actually connected with the characters. And, honestly, what's a big Hollywood film without a cheesy love scene and/or girl on girl action?

But the ending (after the credits) ... I know I should have seen it coming, but I sure didn't. What a twist!

0r4ng3
05-26-2006, 04:31 PM
There was a scene after the credits? Fuck, I missed it! I saw it literally an hour ago, thought it was good. Damn them for leaving out Gambit and Nightcrawler. And WTF was with making Juggernaut a mutant? Last I remember, he actually wasn't.

Edit: Also, there was a trailer before the movie that I particularly liked. It was about snakes...on a plane.

I was all "OMGFTW!!!" and my friends looked at me like I was fucking crazy. It was awesome.

Paint_It_Black
05-26-2006, 04:37 PM
I spent a good amount of the movie wondering if I should feel bad about thinking she was really fucking adorable. She's 17 or 18. Score.

Agreed.

And the fact that he had to kill Jean, his love, was a tribute to all the fucked up shit Wolverine has to put up with through his life.

Maybe so, but couldn't they have just used the "cure" on her? I was pretty damn confused when Hank used all four of their cures on Magneto, leaving none for Jean. I thought it was fucking obvious what they needed to do. Unless she would have been too strong for it to work, but nothing like that was hinted at.

Me too. The reaction of the audience was pleasing.

But the ending (after the credits) ... I know I should have seen it coming, but I sure didn't. What a twist!

Motherfucking fuckity fuck fuck. I missed it. It shouldn't fucking be allowed to put extra scenes acfter the fucking credits. Fuck.

What happened? In detail, please.

kamikaze
05-26-2006, 04:41 PM
Motherfucking fuckity fuck fuck. I missed it. It shouldn't fucking be allowed to put extra scenes acfter the fucking credits. Fuck.

What happened? In detail, please.
Do you remember the scene in the beginning where Charles is discussing the moral ethics of putting another person's being (I really can't think of another way to put that, I'm sorry. Personality, maybe?) into the man who was born without any brain functions? At the end of the credits, it shows the same doctor in the room checking the machines of that patient. As she's checking his machines, you see him turn his head and say, "Moira." Of course, she's completely shocked. You see her staring at the man and says, "Charles?"

End movie.

Isolated Fury
05-26-2006, 04:45 PM
*sits and waits for "Who's Moira?"*

Paint_It_Black
05-26-2006, 04:50 PM
putting another person's being (I really can't think of another way to put that, I'm sorry. Personality, maybe?)

Consciousness would be good.

Hmm, that's interesting. So Charles is possibly ok (but no more Patric Stewart). Scott might be ok since we didn't actually see him die, and Magneto's powers seem to be returning, so Mystique's and Rogue's probably will too. Hmm.

kamikaze
05-26-2006, 04:55 PM
Consciousness would be good.

Hmm, that's interesting. So Charles is possibly ok (but no more Patric Stewart). Scott might be ok since we didn't actually see him die, and Magneto's powers seem to be returning, so Mystique's and Rogue's probably will too. Hmm.
Consciousness? No, that doesn't really describe it either. Hahahah. I just forget what term he used. But yes, that. After it was over, I jumped up and yelled, "Oh my God! Did you just see that?!" And everyone who was left over in the theater just started cracking up. It was pretty intense. But I'm in love with the other X-Men movies, so I was overly ecstatic. Ha... *blush*

Anya82
05-26-2006, 05:36 PM
i liked the movie. Maybe it was very emotional in some moments, but, considering it's the final movie, i guess we can forgive them.
The rogue thing: agreed. I'm pretty sure she DID want to get rid of her mutant power, i mean... her case is/was soooooo sad!! never be able to feel anybody's touch. :( And it's not something she can control, it only happens all the time.

I also feel kinda sad for not seeing Gambit in any of the movies, and Nightcrawler.

the new mutants? yes, pathetic.

I felt sooooo sad when the professor died :( I thought: WTF? now how are they gonna stop phoenix?... but, then, when Storm talks to Wolverine and tells him he should be ready to do what he's gotta do, i was 100% sure he was going to kill Jean.

And yeah, i guess Wolverine was the only one who could get close to Jean, because of his healing power. Even if they try to put the cure on her, how would they be able to do it? how would they throw the cure to her if she was destroying EVERYTHING near her.

And yeah, i would prefer to see more phoenix power.

but overall, i liked it. It was pretty entertaining. Nice effects. I don't know if i like it because i'm not an x-men comic fan... but i think it was ok.

PS: oh! and my bf mentioned something true: it's kinda "oh, well.." that Jauggernaut and Charles never saw each other... not even a sec. I thought that would quite natural to see in the movie.........but maybe that is just not relevant for the story.

Paint_It_Black
05-26-2006, 06:44 PM
And yeah, i guess Wolverine was the only one who could get close to Jean, because of his healing power. Even if they try to put the cure on her, how would they be able to do it? how would they throw the cure to her if she was destroying EVERYTHING near her.

Not throw it. Logan could have carried it.

Apathy
05-26-2006, 07:37 PM
You don't read comics, do you...

It bothered me too a little bit, but not really that out of character. Rogue always struggles with the fact that she can't touch anyone (although Gambit should be her lover-boy, fuck them for not having him in the movie).

No Gambit? wtf?

I may not even want to see it anymore. Back when I was like 8 and i read those comics, I thought he was the coolest.

Ninty Man
05-26-2006, 07:44 PM
i liked the movie. Maybe it was very emotional in some moments, but, considering it's the final movie, i guess we can forgive them.
The rogue thing: agreed. I'm pretty sure she DID want to get rid of her mutant power, i mean... her case is/was soooooo sad!! never be able to feel anybody's touch. :( And it's not something she can control, it only happens all the time.

I also feel kinda sad for not seeing Gambit in any of the movies, and Nightcrawler.

the new mutants? yes, pathetic.

I felt sooooo sad when the professor died :( I thought: WTF? now how are they gonna stop phoenix?... but, then, when Storm talks to Wolverine and tells him he should be ready to do what he's gotta do, i was 100% sure he was going to kill Jean.

And yeah, i would prefer to see more phoenix power.

but overall, i liked it. It was pretty entertaining. Nice effects. I don't know if i like it because i'm not an x-men comic fan... but i think it was ok.

PS: oh! and my bf mentioned something true: it's kinda "oh, well.." that Jauggernaut and Charles never saw each other... not even a sec. I thought that would quite natural to see in the movie.........but maybe that is just not relevant for the story.

I think that juggernaut, Multiple man, callisto and Kitty were fantastic( I NEARLY LOVE MULTIPLE, AND I'M NOT GAY)

Kitty it's so cute... and Juggernaut... well: I'm the juggernaut bitch

The bad things: the waste of angel, too short the movie... maybe more of Juggernaut and Multiple Man

Paint_It_Black
05-26-2006, 08:03 PM
Did anyone else think that Vinnie Jones wasn't the best possible choice to play Juggernaut?

0r4ng3
05-26-2006, 08:05 PM
I couldn't take the character seriously. I kept thinking of that soccer hooligan from Eurotrip. That was him, right?

Paint_It_Black
05-26-2006, 08:11 PM
Yeah, that's him. He's been in quite a few movies now, although the only other one I can remember right now is Swordfish. Oh, and Lock Stock and Snatch. He used to be a football (soccer for the unenlightened) player, with a deserved reputation for violence. I think mostly his accent annoys me.

Ninty Man
05-26-2006, 09:54 PM
Yeah, that's him. He's been in quite a few movies now, although the only other one I can remember right now is Swordfish. Oh, and Lock Stock and Snatch. He used to be a football (soccer for the unenlightened) player, with a deserved reputation for violence. I think mostly his accent annoys me.

MMM... I respect the character... at least more that Angel :eek:

sKratch
05-26-2006, 11:38 PM
Juggernaut is not a mutant, this is correct. In uncanny, I think he was Xavier's half brother, and came upon the Cytorak Gem, which granted him invulnerability, basically.

Vera
05-27-2006, 12:01 AM
Yeah, but I saw X3 two days before you. Pwned you timewise, there.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm just hating on Brett Ratner.

Paint_It_Black
05-27-2006, 12:02 AM
Juggernaut is not a mutant, this is correct. In uncanny, I think he was Xavier's half brother

I did a little research earlier, and according to what I found Juggernaut was his step-brother.

Ninty Man
05-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Yeah, but I saw X3 two days before you. Pwned you timewise, there.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm just hating on Brett Ratner.

I think, and this is my opinion.. that ratner follows the path of Singer. and he made a great job

BTW.. I saw X3 in May 15, in the World Premiere, I pwned you

Anya82
05-27-2006, 10:54 AM
Not throw it. Logan could have carried it.
but it wouldn't be possible, cause with all the power of jean, she would destroy the cure thing. Wolverine wasn't able to carry anything.

Paint_It_Black
05-27-2006, 03:46 PM
Maybe, but he didn't even try.

Jebus
05-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Give it up, Richard. Anya wins this one.

Paint_It_Black
05-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Nope, sorry, I don't see it. It was retarded not to try. That's all there is to it.

Phoenix didn't destroy him. She might not have destroyed something he had clenched in his fist either. Or fuck it, under his armpit or something. I'm just saying, if you love her it's worth trying.

0r4ng3
05-27-2006, 04:22 PM
That wouldn't work. What he should've done was only wounded Phoenix so she'd stop the destruction, and then get the cure to her.

Jebus
05-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Hey, he was almost(not sure if it was shadow or clothes that was covering his privates) completely naked by the time he got to her. Only his body was intact because his healing powers. There's no way the antidote would have made it.

Lupin
05-27-2006, 05:49 PM
...hmm, can anyone who's seen X3 rate 'Beasts' role in the film; basically is Fraiser any good as a buffed up, blue super hairy thing.

I've been warned off X3 by almost everyone i know who's seen it; mostly for the same reason 'its too unrealistic, that angel guy would never fly...' i dunno maybe i just listen to people who either take films too seriously, or are a wee bit daft.
Also Magneto. I love Xmen but Sir Ian and that Bald chap....Stewart, kinda save them from mediocrity.

So in short Beast & Magneto do they rock. oh and Wolverene, who im told is gonna do an Xmen spin-off, wooo.

I agree with whoever said Superman looks like it will suck, and again with the point that Kevin Spacey as LL was an inspired choice! i am from K-Pax!
________
Silver Surfer Vaporizer (http://www.vaporshop.com/silver-surfer-vaporizer.html)

Mota Boy
05-28-2006, 02:16 AM
The movie blew. It was a fucking disappointment and I'm going to pretend it never happened. It would've been significantly better had they ignored Jean Grey. Their goddamn problem was that they saw it as the end of a series, and decided to write it as such... but surprise! Not really!

It should've been written as a goddamn fucking comic. The ending should've been as the closing of one chapter of a saga - Magneto is stopped, a main character is not killed, but "missing", and everything else is more or less back to normal.

You don't fucking kill off Cyclops ten minutes into the movie. I was never a big Cyclops fan, but certain things should be blatantly obvious to any fool who sublems across it. And you don't kill of the Professor. Period. And you don't kill off... seriously, this movie fucking blew, from a plot perspective. Fucking blew. And there were continuity and storyline errors/gaps to the point where it actually felt insulting. And I almost never feel insulted at a movie. I applauded the Snakes on a Plane trailer at the beginning of the film, for cryin' out loud.

I guess it was worth six bucks, but if I met the writers in a back alley, I'd come away with the contents of their wallets and their mouths and only feel ashamed that I left their testicles intact. What a way to ruin a fucking franchise.

Mota Boy
05-28-2006, 02:25 AM
Goddamn, there were so many plot points of the movie that piss me off the more I think about them, it's not even worth expounding upon. It's just better to fantasize about doing horrible, horrible things to the men and women responsible.

Maybe slowly crushing them in a garbage compactor? Maybe tying them down and sending them through a sawmill or a giant fan? Pouring honey on them and tossing them before an anthill? Immolation? Castration? Defenistration? Is there a death painful enough?

One truly interesting facet about the movie, however, was a line a friend of mine pointed out to me, when Juggernaut and Kitty Pride are dueling. Kitty sinks him into the stone, and when he escapes (and please, ignore the fact that he was kept up in a much less imposing prison on the tractor trailer than solid stone), he screams out "Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!" Which seems to be taken from a series of online X-Men "remixes" (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3934651591022114445&q=Juggernaut).

It seems like the line between fans and the things over which they... fan? fawn? Is growing ever fainter. SoaP even further confuses this shit.

Paint_It_Black
05-28-2006, 04:12 AM
The ending should've been as the closing of one chapter of a saga - Magneto is stopped, a main character is not killed, but "missing", and everything else is more or less back to normal.

Well, they might go that way with it. Think about it, they left themselves options. We never saw Cyclops die. It is strongly implied that he died, but they left themselves the option of bringing him back. It seems that Xavier may well be back, just in a different body. Phoenix is dead, but you can't ever fully accept that with a character called Phoenix. Magneto's powers were returning, so we could assume Mystique's and Rogue's will too. They could quite easily make another movie in which the only significant difference is the actor playing Xavier.

I'd like to see them make another movie in which they fix the horrible things they did in this one. In addition to correcting their mistakes, I think a storyline involving Apocalypse would be awesome. Have the X-Men and Magneto's crew team up again (because it's most enjoyable when they are temporary allies), and maybe even have humans on their side too. Surely everyone would join forces against Apocalypse.

If they make another movie and do it right, I think they might even have a slim chance of making X3 seem decent when viewed as part of the series. A slim chance, but better than none.

Anya82
05-28-2006, 10:42 AM
Well, they might go that way with it. Think about it, they left themselves options. We never saw Cyclops die. It is strongly implied that he died, but they left themselves the option of bringing him back. It seems that Xavier may well be back, just in a different body. Phoenix is dead, but you can't ever fully accept that with a character called Phoenix. Magneto's powers were returning, so we could assume Mystique's and Rogue's will too. They could quite easily make another movie in which the only significant difference is the actor playing Xavier.
I fully agree.

I'd like to see them make another movie in which they fix the horrible things they did in this one. In addition to correcting their mistakes, I think a storyline involving Apocalypse would be awesome. Have the X-Men and Magneto's crew team up again (because it's most enjoyable when they are temporary allies), and maybe even have humans on their side too. Surely everyone would join forces against Apocalypse.

If they make another movie and do it right, I think they might even have a slim chance of making X3 seem decent when viewed as part of the series. A slim chance, but better than none.
hmm... if they couldn't work out Phoenix..... will they be able to work out Apocalypse?? doubt it.

Rag Doll
05-28-2006, 12:36 PM
my opinion doesn't count for much, since i never saw the first two and know nothing about x-men (all i knew going into this was, the guy who plays wolverine is teh hotz). but, i quite enjoyed it. i didnt think i would, since it's not my kind of movie and i dont know anything about xmen. but it was pretty entertaining and i now wanna see the first two. *shrug*

ha, yessss. snakes on a plane teaser ftw.

Vera
05-28-2006, 12:49 PM
1 and 2 still so much superior.

Do check 'em out, RD, if possible. Since they were really just overall better movies. Brian Singer ftw.

nieh
05-28-2006, 02:26 PM
my opinion doesn't count for much, since i never saw the first two and know nothing about x-men (all i knew going into this was, the guy who plays wolverine is teh hotz). but, i quite enjoyed it. i didnt think i would, since it's not my kind of movie and i dont know anything about xmen. but it was pretty entertaining and i now wanna see the first two. *shrug*

Two is awesome. The first is less so.
There were a lot of things that were disappointing about this one but I ended up still enjoying it. They killed off Cyclops right away which is garbage. They killed off Jean (which from what I've heard she's died and returned in the comics before so I'll let that one slide) and they killed the professor (even though he's back at the end of the credits). As Vera said, the new mutants were annoying (specifically the fast running girl and her friends). Xavier never really seemed like the type of guy to put down Wolverine by saying "I don't have to explain myself, least of all to you" and then to accuse him of doing something when Jean goes nuts. I don't see why Storm was left in charge when the professor died. Why did it suddenly become night time when Magneto and his crew got to Alcatraz when it was still bright and sunny when he first set the bridge down? Also whenever Magneto posed to use his powers I cringed. I don't understand how so much time seemed to pass between 2 and 3 in some respects (new president, Beast being in a political position, etc.) while other things seemed to be picking up right where 2 left off.

Blargh. The more I think about things the less I like it.

And I feel the need to point out that I was never fond of the way Rogue was done in any of the movies.

Jebus
05-28-2006, 02:58 PM
So which "NOOOOOOO!" was better? Darth Vader's or Wolverine's?

0r4ng3
05-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Vader's, definately. Wolverine's isn't even that memorable. I just saw it again and I don't remember when his "NOOOOO!" was.

Ninty Man
05-28-2006, 06:02 PM
1 and 2 still so much superior.

Do check 'em out, RD, if possible. Since they were really just overall better movies. Brian Singer ftw.

Nah.. they are overrated officially

remeber:

Singer it's not God, he's a human, and he made huge mistakes

Ratner also made mistakes, but, still, give us a great movie

Vera
05-29-2006, 12:03 AM
WTF. Of course Brian Singer isn't God but he did manage to create two fantastic action movies that averted from the comics in a million ways but a lot, and I mean a LOT of comic fans still loved the films, despite all the differences that one could also think of as canon rape. Whereas in this film, nearly every comic fan I've talked to, everything just feels ..wrong. Like, that's not how it's supposed to go. I don't know comic canon for shit and I still felt like that. The first two films just worked better.

You enjoyed it? Fine, more power to you for being able to. I didn't enjoy it. I really WANTED to enjoy it, being a fan of X1 and 2 but I didn't, couldn't. There were some good moments but not enough to make me think of it as an overall good movie. Do I need to add an opinion disclaimer to this post or something?

Also, Mota, totally agreed on Scott's death. It was just wrong. For the longest time I kept hoping he'd be alive because no one CARED about it. Like five hours later someone goes, "Hey, we found Jean, where the hell is Scott?". Gahhhh. I don't even like the character all that much but he's still such a big part of the team, you can't kill him in such a way..

Llamas
05-29-2006, 12:19 AM
I haven't read the xmen comics (I read a few when I was kid), and I didn't see x1 or x2 (pretty much the same situation as rag doll)... but tonight my good friend called me up and asked if I'd go see it with her even though I hadn't seen the others. I went cause I'm always up for a movie... I liked the movie, but I agree with a lot of the things said in here. Some of my biggest gripes lied in overdramaticies, though. I don't know if the first two movies were different, but god. I was really annoyed when Magneto moved the entire bridge. That scene took forEVER, and it was totally uneccessary, I thought. He could've just moved the chunk of ground they were standing on, or they could've walked onto something that he could move. They didn't walk across the bridge... they just got on it, and then he turned the entire thing around onto the island. It just annoyed the crap out of me. I also didn't like the introduction of the winged character. I figured it was commentary on homosexuality, but there were two things I really disliked about it. One was that I thought it was way too dramatic, especially when they strapped him down and he freaked out and flew out the window. At the same time, I think that if this idea was going to be introduced and talked about, he should've done more with it. It just seemed like a waste... almost like filler.

I was also bothered by the disconcern for Scott's death, and how quick everyone was to forget about it. I didn't like also that Wolverine didn't know Scott was dead, but he started making out with Jean when she woke up. I might be wrong cause I haven't seen the other movies, but I thought Wolverine and Scott were friends to some extent atleast. Just seems really shitty that he would've gone for Jean.

Also, I don't know a ton about Xavier, but I thought he was supposed to be a smart, clear-headed guy... his crap with how he talked to Wolverine really bothered me. He barely even tried to explain... it felt like a cop-out, like they just didn't know how to have him explain it well.

Anyway, having not seeing the first two or anything, I had a pretty good impression of it, and the movie really does make me want to see the first two. My opinions here might be completely wrong cause I have no background... but these are just the feelings I got in the movie.

Paint_It_Black
05-29-2006, 05:18 AM
Sorry for being anal here, but it's Bryan Singer. Not Brian.

However, if you're spelling it as Brian because of the silliness of spelling it with a "y" then I might be forced to agree and start doing it your way.

0r4ng3
05-29-2006, 06:51 AM
That thing about the bridge...Magneto had to move it, because only a small part of his army got on it. When he set it down, the rest of them got on to travel to the island.

And yes, they should've put more of the Angel storyline in the movie...they didn't even mention the name "Angel" at all.

PIB: Yes, Bryan is a silly name, y'know, with the "y" and all. Why would anyone spell their name like that?

*braces for thrown objects*

Paint_It_Black
05-29-2006, 07:04 AM
PIB: Yes, Bryan is a silly name, y'know, with the "y" and all. Why would anyone spell their name like that?

Alright, who am I inadvertantly offending?

Or am I completely misunderstanding your post?

Edit: I get it now.

0r4ng3
05-29-2006, 07:08 AM
I don't want to make it too obvious.

Look for the real name. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter_Holland)

Apathy
05-29-2006, 09:03 AM
but it wouldn't be possible, cause with all the power of jean, she would destroy the cure thing. Wolverine wasn't able to carry anything.

Then Why didn't his clothes melt away?

I just saw it yesterday, and I have to agree with the opinions already posted.

Why the hell did he kill off so many people? Sure... I can see if they die tragically in the end or something. But They just seemed to randomly drop off throughout the entire movie.

There was so much more they could do in some parts. Like the Angel guy? You see him like two or three times, he says like a sentence, and that's it.

And where the hell was Nightcrawler?

Edit: Yeah, Read Ilovellamas post. It's basically the same thing I say, but worded better. I was also wondering whY Xavier was acting like such a dick to Wolverine.

0r4ng3
05-29-2006, 10:51 AM
Apparently, the actor that played Nightcrawler didn't want to deal with all that makeup for so much time again. Other than that, he would've been in it.

kamikaze
05-29-2006, 10:58 AM
Then Why didn't his clothes melt away?
They did.
(101010101010)

Vera
05-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Look for the real name. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter_Holland)
Another reason why Bryan Singer is so cool.

Holland's Law - In an internet argument, base your argument on some completely useless trivia related to The Offspring and their music, and insist this is the thing that proves you're right.

Eg. Chavs suck because they're trendy assholes and I'm free to hate them because it's cool to hate.

0r4ng3
05-29-2006, 12:06 PM
There truly is no more hope for better days.

Vera
05-29-2006, 12:46 PM
Or better films about fictional mutants.

Llamas
05-29-2006, 02:12 PM
That thing about the bridge...Magneto had to move it, because only a small part of his army got on it. When he set it down, the rest of them got on to travel to the island.

And yes, they should've put more of the Angel storyline in the movie...they didn't even mention the name "Angel" at all.

ahhhh, thanks for clearing that up. Because that annoyed me SOO MUCH. But now it's alright that he moved the bridge. I still think the scene too way too long and was overdramatic. :P

Ninty Man
05-29-2006, 04:49 PM
ahhhh, thanks for clearing that up. Because that annoyed me SOO MUCH. But now it's alright that he moved the bridge. I still think the scene too way too long and was overdramatic. :P

I love that Scene... I mean.. HE'S MAGNETO XD

Well, everyone has it's own opinion, and I really liked the movie... Of course I'm a little upset about Angel stuff, or the length, but.. not as much as the pain that Hulk was