PDA

View Full Version : Dreams - What Are They?

Idiot
05-26-2006, 04:11 AM
What does everyone think about dreams?
I was speaking to someone earlier this morning, and talking about why we have dreams and what actually happens when we dream.

Are dreams really just all our thoughts mixed up together showing us whats on our minds? Are they trying to show us or help us understand something?

We have a book at home which claims to interpret 10,000 different types of dream. I've looked in it before after having a strange dream, and the meaning it stated was very believable. Could these just be intelligent guesses?

The Egyptians believe that when we are dreaming, our souls leave our body, perhaps into another 'world', and that the people we see or talk to in our dreams are other people's souls. I'm not saying I believe this, I'm just open-minded and intrigued by it.

It just seems strange how dreams can seem so unbelievably real sometimes, how you can have all your senses such as touch, sight, smell etc yet you're apparently unconscious.
Obviously there is a link between your dreams/mind and your unconscious body: for example, wet dreams and pissing the bed - obviously one happens when you're dreaming of something sexual, and the other when you're pissing in your dream.

Just wondered what other people's thoughts/beliefs/ideas were on this.

Andy
05-26-2006, 04:13 AM
I've never thought about it, but I love the Egyptian theory.

Idiot
05-26-2006, 04:18 AM
I hadn't thought about it either until earlier. The Egyptian theory certainly is an interesting one.

killer_queen
05-26-2006, 04:21 AM
I still believe what Freud said about dreams. I know, it's not so smart of me to idolize him but I <3 reading his books.

Andy
05-26-2006, 04:24 AM
A guy who I knew at uni had previously done a psychology degree. He loved Freud, for the simple reason that everything he proposed was "bullshit", apparently. Personally, I'm too lazy and backward to find out for myself. He did have some entertaining theories though, that's for sure.

Idiot
05-26-2006, 04:30 AM
Freud's Theory - Source (http://www.kevinwilson.info/dream/freud_dreams.php)

"Freud maintained the notion that the dream fundamentally acts as the guardian of sleep. When we go to bed, the curtains are drawn, the lights are turned off and in effect we are attempting to disconnect from our reality by extinguishing all external stimuli. During the night, the mind protects the sleeper from being disturbed by reacting to further external stimuli (noise, temperature, light, the need to urinate, numb arm/leg, pain, etc) as well as all internal stimuli (emotions, fears, dissatisfaction, desires, previous day's activity) by manufacturing dreams.

Freud's work was solely concerned with internal stimuli. Essentially, for a person to continue to sleep undisturbed strong negative emotions, forbidden thoughts and unconscious desires have to be disguised or censored in some form or another. Otherwise, confronted by these, the dreamer would become distressed and they would eventually wake up. Therefore the dream, if understood correctly, could lead to a greater understanding of the dreamer's subconscious.

Freud believed the dream to be composed of two parts. The manifest and the latent content. The manifest content can be thought of as what a person would remember as soon as they wake - what they would consciously describe to someone else when recalling the dream. Freud suggested that the manifest content possessed no meaning whatsoever because it was a disguised representation of the true thought underlying the dream."

kamikaze
05-26-2006, 05:50 AM
I forget which culture it is, but in your bedroom, you should never have a mirror facing the end of your bed. According to their faith (or whatever), your soul leaves the body at night, and if the mirror is there, it gets scared and either you have nightmares for a really long time or you just don't dream anymore. I don't know. I thought that was a really cool thought, and now I don't have a mirror facing the end of my bed. zlol </superstition>

wheelchairman
05-26-2006, 06:17 AM
All I can say is some people have stupid dream theories.

Sin Studly
05-26-2006, 06:39 AM
I think everyone should take a Mogadon tablet before bed, just once, before they talk crap about dreams.

Nina
05-26-2006, 07:03 AM
It just seems strange how dreams can seem so unbelievably real sometimes, how you can have all your senses such as touch, sight, smell etc yet you're apparently unconscious.

Because our brain doesnt stop to work, not when we sleep, either.

I try really hard to think of something interesting or mysterious but all I can think of is that it's our imagination, after all. Our brain assimilates our thoughts subconciously and that's what happens. Might be boring, but it sounds realistic to me.

Preocupado
05-26-2006, 07:30 AM
We have a book at home which claims to interpret 10,000 different types of dream. I've looked in it before after having a strange dream, and the meaning it stated was very believable. Could these just be intelligent guesses?

A few years back I got to know Freud's and Yung's theories about what dreams are made of, so I decided to buy one of those books (The Book Of Dreams) and rigorously follow it's method to become a master of remembering and interpretating my own dreams.

I new it could work in a way, but I just had to find the fishy part of it. So I did everything: I put a notepad and a pen next to the pillow and went carefully through the instructions of how to remember a dream. Those Instructions were somewhat coherent with Freud's theory of the unconscious.

The first morning I woke up and, while still half awake and with my eyes closed, I reached for the pen and the paper and started writing everything that would come to my mind as reminiscent of the dreams I just had. The first mornings were poor in content, but, within every morning, I gradually began to remember more and more of my dreams, having always more and more content for interpretations which I would do based on the book.

So, it turns out that, while the book’s interpretations were *total useless bull shit, the method for remembering the dreams worked. Within a month and a half, I would remember from three to four cycles of dreams I had each night, with important visual details associated with latent feelings. And that’s when the fishy shit started to show: I just had way too much content of my dreams brought to consciousness while the interpretations couldn’t humanly be assimilated in time to keep track of my own self, and that’s pretty much a way of inducing psychosis through stupidity. At that point, sometimes I had the most repressed figments of last night’s dreams popping in the middle of class, while driving, or even while talking to people, which would give me a mental blank and a vacant expression.

So far, so stupid, but it became truly unbearable when even the use of weak drugs like alcohol, sertraline and pot would induce a paralyzing and terrifying experience of déjà vu. Imagine that you’re doing anything whatsoever and, whether you’re concentrated or disperse, an unsolicited oniric image utterly invades your mind giving you the feeling that you’re living an identical situation for the second time and that the situation in question is one that you lived in a dream. Now that’s fucked up. That started happening on a significant basis and that’s when I decided to stop fucking remembering my dreams.

Now, I have a full conclusion for that whole experience written in psychology’s terms, but my conclusion that matters to your question is this: Dream interpretation books should be abolished from literature, burned in a pile in front of a church and the authors should be sodomized.

*relative and generalized examples of interpretations made upon other people’s dreams.

Idiot
05-26-2006, 07:52 AM
That's pretty interesting, I totally understand why you stopped remembering them, sounds pretty fucked up !

Pot Noodles
05-26-2006, 08:09 AM
Drinking too much water./

Preocupado
05-26-2006, 08:17 AM
That's pretty interesting, I totally understand why you stopped remembering them, sounds pretty fucked up !

Very fucked up AND irresponsible. But at least i can use the experience to study.

does anybody know what triggers a wet dream?

Yes, but i'm not telling you.

no_way
05-26-2006, 08:33 AM
I think all the people always have troubles for speaking their mind & soul, even to yourself, sometimes is hard to tell what's going on with you, so dreams are the way in which people express how you feel, and don't care about it because they are sleeping, they're not conscious and they can show you everything. The thing is thoughts are extremely difficult to explain so our mind creates different scenes, circunstances with people/places that have probably nothing to do with what the meaning of the dream is all about.

ofsmurfsandpixies
05-26-2006, 08:36 AM
isnt it just orting out your subconsious mind-like if you are soon to make a big decision your anxiesty makes you dream about going left ot=r right,or whether to wear a shirt?

no_way
05-26-2006, 08:39 AM
does that change anything in what I said? I don't think so..

Anya82
05-26-2006, 05:14 PM
niiice! a topic i trully like.
i'll post about it, but right now i don't feel like writting much.

Sinister
05-26-2006, 05:27 PM
I hardly ever remember my dreams anymore, but the few ones I remember are quite scary :(

and I like the Egyptian theory as well.

barangatang
05-26-2006, 07:49 PM
Dreams=our brains going on a massive DMT trip.

I heard something really interesting about dreams on Loveline a while ago: They took DMT (chemical your brian releases when sleeping to create dreams) and gave it to people in pill form, so they'd have dreams except they were awake and moving around. The interesting thing is that the higher dose they test subjects got they least they'd remember from their trip, and the lower the dose the more they'd remember. This would explain why when you wake up in the middle of the night you may remember a dream but when you wake up in the morning you don't as much.

0r4ng3
05-26-2006, 07:51 PM
Most dreams I have predict moments in the future. Though, I don't remember having the dream until I've experienced it in the concoius world. But, when that happens, I'm absolutely sure that I've already seen it in a dream.

Sinister
05-26-2006, 07:53 PM
Most dreams I have predict moments in the future. Though, I don't remember having the dream until I've experienced it in the concoius world. But, when that happens, I'm absolutely sure that I've already seen it in a dream.
That sort of thing happens to me as well. can be freaky shit.

Jebus
05-26-2006, 08:01 PM
Just wondering, but am I the only person who experiences sleep paralysis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis) andHypnagogia often. I read that for most people, it just happens once in a while. I tend to experiene it at least once a week. It's pretty darn freaky.

0r4ng3
05-26-2006, 08:04 PM
I don't have that, but I have something else wierd.

Whenever I'm drifting off to sleep in school, I can feel myself twitch every once in a while. Like, my leg jolts for a second, or something like that.

I had one extreme instance of this. As I was drifting off, I completely spazzed out, and knocked all the papers off my desk. I was wide awake the rest of the day.

Paint_It_Black
05-26-2006, 08:05 PM
I had one extreme instance of this. As I was drifting off, I completely spazzed out, and knocked all the papers off my desk.

I get that sometimes. Not usually too extreme, but sometimes it's a definite WTF moment.

Jebus
05-26-2006, 08:11 PM
I don't have that, but I have something else wierd.

Whenever I'm drifting off to sleep in school, I can feel myself twitch every once in a while. Like, my leg jolts for a second, or my arm.

I had one extreme instance of this. As I was drifting off, I completely spazzed out, and knocked all the papers off my desk. I was wide awake the rest of the day.
yeah, it happens to me all the time but I'm never sure if it only happens in my head or if I actually did it real life. Most of the time it feels as if I fell into my chair. After I happens, I tend to look around my classroom to see if anyone noticed. I never had the nerve to ask someone if it actually did happen.

Idiot
05-27-2006, 03:15 AM
Whenever I'm drifting off to sleep in school, I can feel myself twitch every once in a while. Like, my leg jolts for a second, or something like that.

Yeah, I get that every now and then, its weird. I sometimes feel like I've just fallen from like 50ft or something and have just hit the ground and I just sit upright straight away. Strange.

JoY
05-27-2006, 03:17 AM
you structure & orden the thoughts & experiences (also feelings & emotions, conscious & subconscious) that are wandering through your mind that don't serve any purpose. sometimes dreaming doesn't organise thoughts as they should, for instance when it comes to a deep rooted fear, in which case it's well possible you get the same dream over & over again. also everything you've learned that does serve a purpose, is processed in your brain during dreams, so it's saved in your long term memory.

I <3 Egyptians.

Idiot
05-27-2006, 03:44 AM
Was that just your thoughts or was that something you've read somewhere and you've been naughty not to source it? =p

The Egyptians rule. I want to go to Egypt, my sister and my dad have been and they both said has fascinating it was. And woah, camels!

JoY
05-27-2006, 04:00 AM
my own thoughts, combined with things I've learned from my study. ;P

oh man, what I love most about acient Egyptians' stories is the mystery of pyramids, the way they've been built & their detailed knowledge of the sky.

voodoomagik
05-27-2006, 05:14 AM
ever wondered how people blind from birth dream?

Idiot
05-27-2006, 06:10 AM
Damn, another rhetorical question !

Sinister
05-27-2006, 06:29 AM
ever wondered how people blind from birth dream?
they probably dream like everyone else, except they don't see stuff - their brain can't compute visual information during dreams if it never had any in awakened state.

no_way
05-27-2006, 06:56 AM

I dunno if the spelling is right, but there's an effect that is called "De-ja-vous" (nah, it is not the right spelling...) It is when something happens (can be any little silly thing) and you are quite sure that that has happened before, or that you dreamed about it. It's something really curious that happens to a lot of people. And it's got an explanation, but I don't remember it well right now and I couldn't explain it in english.

So, don't worry, you're not a wizard or anything like that

Idiot
05-27-2006, 07:41 AM
I'd have thought he already knows about Deja Vu.

Idiot
11-11-2006, 05:17 PM
Had a weird dream the other night and so I thought I'd bring back this thread as I found it pretty interesting.

So my dream the other night, I was in the cinema with a load of mates, and we were watching a film funnily enough.
For some strange reason, we all had keyboards, as in PC keyboards.
Anyway, my keyboard had a button where the ESC button would be, but instead of ESC it was called the 'Aftermath' button.
I pressed it, and it changed the film we were watching.
Then everyone got mad [particularly the 'gangstas' in front of me who were shouting 'who the fuck changed the movie'. Then I just told everyone to shut up and told them it was me and went into a long story about how I knew the film was going to be shit.
Then everyone treated me like a god and all the ladies loved me. That was it.

Fucking random. Thats what happens when I get an early night, I dream weird shit.

Tired_Of_You
11-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Anyone ever had a lucid dream? I know there are some exercises you can do to help you have lucid dreams, but it's not really tempting to look at my hands every 10 minutes, so I get the habit of doing that and eventually do it in my dreams to realise I'm dreaming. I actually had a lucid dream the other night, but I told myself to wake up and I woke up paralised (sleep paralysis - I have it often).

Idiot
11-11-2006, 05:35 PM
I'm with Maria - what are Lucid dreams?

Tired_Of_You
11-11-2006, 05:38 PM
Most of the time you realise you're dreaming in the middle of a dream after something really weird happened. You can then control your dream, what you do, etc. Most people try to fly at first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream

Tired_Of_You
11-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Every goddamn thing has sexual connotations with Freud.

Idiot
11-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I've had a few of those before. I remember walking down a street and people were joking about being able to walk along the telephone pole let alone jump up there, and I just said "I can do that." I jumped up, walked along it, and then flew around the place. They said "how can you do that?" and I just said "Because I'm dreaming". Brilliant dreams usually. :)

mrconeman
11-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Anyone ever had a lucid dream? I know there are some exercises you can do to help you have lucid dreams, but it's not really tempting to look at my hands every 10 minutes, so I get the habit of doing that and eventually do it in my dreams to realise I'm dreaming. I actually had a lucid dream the other night, but I told myself to wake up and I woke up paralised (sleep paralysis - I have it often).

Yes indeed. I read up on them for awhile because it interested me alot, I was trying a very basic thing to induce a lucid dream, basically when you're falling asleep you just tell yourself whats going to happen in your dream (the webpage recommended telling yourself you would fly), there was more too it, for instance when you are awake you tell yourself "I'm awake" and look at your watch, so as to draw a disctinction between sleep and non-sleep.

Anyway, after about a week of trying, to my surprise it actually worked, it was a very strange dream, I was in a long entrance way with no exit to either side or in front of me, I managed telling myself I would fly out (this sounds so fucking lame, but it's true, I swear) so I ran the length of the entrance way to try to take off...it worked on my second try, I flew in my dream, deliberately. I ended up flying over my street and eventually waking up, it was very weird.

EDIT: I really didn't see those replies about flying before posting this, odd!

Jebus
11-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Anytime I realize I'm in a dreaming I wake up before I could do anything and get sleep paralysis like you.

Idiot
11-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Damn, that sucks.

Tired_Of_You
11-11-2006, 05:49 PM
Apparently you can have a lucid dream when in sleep paralysis, but I never understand how they do that. They say they kinda go out of their bodies and imagine they are in a dream and it works. You have to will it or something. I don't understand. The only time I tried it, I felt as though someone was pulling me in different directions and that wasn't fun at all. Most of the time when I have sleep paralysis, I just get scared of looking around me and end up feeling like I'm floating. Those are the nice ones, though.

mrconeman makes me wish I had enough motivation.

JoY
11-11-2006, 05:55 PM
last night my boyfriend came home late; around 5 am. he knocked on my bedroom door, because I'd locked it - automatism, you know. I got up, opened the door for him, before he was inside, I'd crawled back in bed again & was sleeping like a baby.

he thought that I was quick to fall asleep again, but the next morning, when I woke up, I didn't expect to see him there next to me & I couldn't remember a thing of the whole event. I could only remember thinking, before I fell asleep; "I hope I didn't automatically lock the door, because then I'll have to get out of bed to open it in the middle of the night", but I didn't feel like getting up to check the door then. apparently I was prepared, or something?

hmm, I can't believe I still sleepwalk. what's funnier is that I apparently now sleepwalk with a cause, driven by existing signals in my surrounding. I mean, I knew I can talk back to him in my sleep, but getting out of bed, walking to the door, opening it & getting back in bed again with such ease? that's new.

Idiot
11-11-2006, 05:56 PM
I remember sometimes if I wake randomly in the night or early morning, I can be in a muddle.
This one time, my alarm was going off, and I went to turn it off but moved it by accident. Being in a bit of a muddle, I panicked as it was really loud, got up and kept fumbling around my room trying to find it. I was looking on my computer desk, behind stuff, underneath my keyboard [wtf?] and everywhere. Ended up finding right in front of me and I just dropped it on the floor so it would shut up. Strange how much of a muddle you can be in sometimes after waking up.

mrconeman
11-11-2006, 05:56 PM
mrconeman makes me wish I had enough motivation.
Call me Ciaran if you please;)
That sucks about the sleep paralysis, I've never experienced it, my mom and cousin tell me they get it alot, and it's horrible apparently.

JoY
11-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Joe - that muddle you're talking about? this way I've once almost went to school at 4 am & not so almost brushed my hair with my toothbrush. with toothpaste on.

Tired_Of_You
11-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Sleep paralysis can be quite traumatising. A lot of people just feel paralysed and nothing else happens, though.

Bella, I love you. Haha.

I used to wake up at around 3am. I'd look at my alarm clock a few times (!) to make sure it really was 6am (which is the time I used to wake up before) and then I'd wake up, sit on the couch, open the TV and only then would I realise it was the middle of the night.

Maria : I usually dream in French. I sometimes dream in English, but it's really rare. I had a dream recently where I was in Costa Rica and even though I was talking to a woman in French, there was this big poster written in Spanish. I couldn't remember what was written when I woke up, though.

JoY
11-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Maria - I know you weren't asking me, but strangely enough I've had dreams in English. besides the fact I remember some, I must've, because once I yelled "shut the fuck up!" & another time I mumbled "fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck" in my sleep.

I also once had a dream in.. music. Vivaldi, to be exact. & it was supposed to be Latin. but I already told about that dream on this board somewhere before, I think.

Tired_Of_You
11-11-2006, 06:07 PM
I recently realised something weird about my dreams. I don't see people's face. I know who is with me most of the time. If I don't know them, I'll know if they are male or female and their age, but I rarely see their face. I thought that maybe I just don't remember seeing their face when I wake up, but it doesn't seem possible. Why would I remember so many other insignificant details, but wouldn't remember seeing the face of someone I know well?

ninthlayer
11-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Whenever I have a lucid dream I decide to wake myself up, because dreams are for fucking faggots.

JoY
11-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Sleep paralysis can be quite traumatising. A lot of people just feel paralysed and nothing else happens, though.

Bella, I love you. Haha.

I used to wake up at around 3am. I'd look at my alarm clock a few times (!) to make sure it really was 6am (which is the time I used to wake up before) and then I'd wake up, sit on the couch, open the TV and only then would I realise it was the middle of the night.

Maria : I usually dream in French. I sometimes dream in English, but it's really rare. I had a dream recently where I was in Costa Rica and even though I was talking to a woman in French, there was this big poster written in Spanish. I couldn't remember what was written when I woke up, though.

it was the toothpaste that made you laugh, right? ;p

I swear, there've been multiple times that I stood all showered & dressed in the kitchen, waiting for mom to come down & dad to come back from walking the dog (this was during high school, obviously), suddenly realising it's way too dark to be morning. completely annoying. makes you feel all silly, too.

I don't think I've ever really experienced sleep paralysis. only a feeling when waking up that I can't move, knowing I can, but yet I don't, because something's kinda holding me back. like I'm stuck in a dream, or like my body's waking up more slowly & later than I did. it never spooked me, but it's never been a terrifying experience for me. I hear it can be, though.

Jebus
11-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Has anyone ever created music in their head right at the moment when you're right about to fall asleep? In a few occasions, I've had some awesome melodies just pop into my head that I've never heard before and I just tell myself to create more and I do, but I never remember them after waking up.

Apparently you can have a lucid dream when in sleep paralysis, but I never understand how they do that. They say they kinda go out of their bodies and imagine they are in a dream and it works. People say you have to will it. I don't understand. Most of the time when I have sleep paralysis, I just get scared of looking around me and end up feeling like I'm floating. Those are the nice ones, though.
When you get sleep paralysis, do you struggle to get out of it by trying to move a leg or something or do you just try to wait it out?

You should try not to open you eyes when it happens. It isn't as frightening that way. A couple weeks ago I tried to see what would happen if I kept my eyes open(I usually close them), but some freaky ass shit happened so yeah...try to keep your eyes closed and sleep paralysis isn't as bad. I've actually had some nice floating experiences by not opening my eyes and just relaxing.

JoY
11-11-2006, 06:16 PM
"fuckfuckfuckfuck" that cracked me up. I'm so totally jealous of your english dreams.

Well, it's understandable, I'm altogether french & not at all english, so in my dreams I lapse in good old frenchness. Even English ppl speak French in my dreams -I'm totalitarian like that.

Valérie, I'm with you on this. In some of my dreams, I know who is with me, but I don't necessarily see them. I know where I am without any sign of location sometimes. Everything's a given.

it cracked me up the day after, too. my friend, who heard me in the middle of the night, was slightly disturbed though, haha.

jealous of English dreams? why? they're just as any other dream, except everyone suddenly speaks English. there's nothing about me that could point in the direction of the English language, so I don't know why I occasionally get them. I get them pretty rarely, though. it's by the way not like an English person speaks English & a Dutch person speaks Dutch. if my dreams are going to be either English, or Dutch, they're English, or Dutch all the way.

& about everything's a given in my dreams, too. no detailed faces most of the times. sometimes I suddenly have a dream I can remember with specific, tiny details portrayed very visually. like I'll remember the colour of someone's sweater. makes no sense at all.

0r4ng3
11-11-2006, 06:16 PM
Recently, I've been constantly worried that my life right now is a dream, and I'll eventually wake up in a hospital bed or something. I have no idea why, though.

Tired_Of_You
11-11-2006, 06:19 PM
Bella, the toothpaste yes! Actually, just imagining you trying to brush your hair with you toothbrush is quite funny too.

I've never created music during dreams, but during my last sleep paralysis I was hearing kids singing a weird song I never heard before. Wtf. However, sometimes right before falling asleep I hear sounds, like a dog barking or someone knocking at the door. I completely wake up and then realise I only imagined that.

Usually, during sleep paralysis, I don't struggle. The only time I tried to struggle is the other one I mentioned where I was feeling like someone was pulling me in different directions. During the same sleep paralysis, I saw some shadow just in front of me and I could see weird lights even when I closed my eyes.

I usually close my eyes and wait. Most of the time when I do that, like you I feel like I'm floating and I feel vibrations. I'm always curious as to what I might see if I open my eyes, though. It's weird to think it's only your brain creating all that.

Edit : When I feel like I'm almost awake, I try to move my hand, but in the middle of the sleep paralysis I just wait.

JoY
11-11-2006, 06:23 PM
0r4ng3, there was a story about someone who dreamed an entire life of imprisonment to wake up the day after in his own bed. personally I don't buy it.

Has anyone ever created music in their head right at the moment when you're right about to fall asleep? In a few occasions, I've had some awesome melodies just pop into my head that I've never heard before and I just tell myself to create more and I do, but I never remember them after waking up.

yes! yesyesyes.

Idiot
11-12-2006, 01:43 AM

You should take your guitar to bed with you and leave it right nearby so as soon as those melodies come into your head, you can quickly play them.
Maybe you won't forget them then ;)

Vera
11-12-2006, 02:25 AM
Whenever I have a lucid dream I decide to wake myself up, because dreams are for fucking faggots.

Motherfuckin' aye.

I can't believe I never replied to this thread and its delicious ancient Egyptian bullshit. Soul leaving body? What the fuck. Your brain functions when you dream - that's the whole point of dreaming, to process all the information your brain got during the day without receiving more information by hearing, seeing etc.

I guess if one wants to interpret dreams at all you could consider why your brain brought up the things it did in your dreams. Is something worrying you? Do you long for something? Maybe Freud had a point about things that one desires (non-sexual in most cases, I guess) showing up in dreams.

Llamas
11-12-2006, 02:41 AM
I can't believe I never replied to this thread and its delicious ancient Egyptian bullshit. Soul leaving body? What the fuck. Your brain functions when you dream - that's the whole point of dreaming, to process all the information your brain got during the day without receiving more information by hearing, seeing etc.

It's not so much of processing information... or even functioning. It's that you're dead still, and your brain has all this information that it doesn't know what to do with... so it just randomly shoots everywhere and hits nothing. The point of dreaming is your brain being confused and trying to use all this information that's currently useless.

JoY
11-12-2006, 04:05 AM
it is the processing of useless info you're not going to use again anyway. at least, that's what I was taught. you recieve millions of signals & stimuli every single minute. your brain makes a selection of that, the minute you percieve those. that's why you for instance know which shop is going to have the nice clothes, when standing in a crowded shopping street. or when you have a conversation in a bar, you pick up only the things that are being said to you, even though many conversations are going around you & there's many background noise.

your brain does select useless stimuli to get through to your senses all the time. it doesn't make a completely 100% efficient selection, or else we'd live our lives only going for our goal, never percieving anything else we don't necessarily need. when information is selected, it's automatically stored somewhere in your brain. amygdala, hippocampus, basolateral membrane.. where ever.

from the age of 20, you lose 5 million braincells every day. (or something around that number, I forgot) point is, in puberty you make a whole bunch of braincells you're never going to need & specialising your abilities & so on later in life makes sure most of those braincells you don't need will be eliminated. it's kind of the same with dreams. as far as I know, you process & eliminate useless information, of course with an emotion connected to them (the work of the amygdala), that's only going to be in your way, destracting you.

Emanem
11-12-2006, 06:23 AM

I have those rarelly but when it happens, it freaks me out!!
Because I do not see it when it happens, I *remember* that moment, a couple of seconds before it happens...

Usually one of 2 things happens to me:

I see it before it happens, and that things *does* happens, because I was stupifyed thinking of it...

Eg: One day, I was riding my bike, when a tought came to my mind: "OMG!! I´m gonna fall", while seeing a *clear* mental picture of me, falling of my bike agains a bush a couple of meters ahead (I have to say that I thought that out of nowhere, as I was riding slowly, and I wasn´t even going towards the bush). Know what happened? I tryied *no to* fall, before I was even unbalanced. The tire sliped, I hit the brakes, and fall of my bike, right on the bushes...

or

I see something before it happens, and while thinking about it, I stop whatever I was doing, and that thing simply doesn´t happen, and is replaced by some other action. So, in a very very strange (and stupid) way, I *see* a part of my future, and then change it.

Eg: It´s really hard to describe a moment when this happened to me... Just imagine: *You´re walking allong on the stree, and you have a clear image of yourself, picking up a coin, and putting it into your pocket further aheade on the street. Then, you stop for a couple of seconds thinking: “How do I know there´s a coin there, and that I´ll pick it up?” So you keep on going, and then you see some else picking up the coin, because you didn´t get there in time, because you wasted stupid seconds thinking about the coin, that you had never see nor knew of it´s location, and that it was your fate to pick it up, but you didn´t because you were frozen thinking of it.*
Get it??

This coin thing happened to me, and I was pretty fked up over it...
Stupid *déjá vú*´s...

JoY
11-12-2006, 08:21 AM
I once met a scruffy looking man in the tram. I was on my way home, but first I'd planned to drop by a store to buy some cigarettes (Davidoff, one of my favorite brands) for my (ex-) boyfriend & me. this scruffy looking man stepped into the tram & I thought; "I hope he isn't going to sit next to me." I don't even know why I thought that.

anyway, he acted like every cat I've ever seen; I never want them to come near me, but for some reason they always do. call it karma. so he walked straight in my direction when he saw me & sat next to me. suddenly he starts talking about him having pain in his hip & that he often experiences trouble when walking, walking up the stairs & stuff. after a while of looking away, I turned my head to him & asked why he was telling me that jazz. he said; "well, you're a med student, aren't you?"

this gets creepier.

I tried to look as normal & indifferent as possible & said; "why would you ever think that?" & he replied he just knows stuff like this. by then I was officially creeped out. thank god I was near my stop, so I stood up & said I had to go. he smiled & said; "yes, I understand, you've got your boyfriend waiting for you & you still need to buy a pack of Davidoff cigarettes." I was like; "uh, yeah" & rushed out the tram at the Leidse square. then, when I came at the store & asked for Davidoff cigarettes, they said they were sold out. so I ended up buying a pack of Marlboro red, being thankful the man on the tram had at least been wrong about one thing.

Idiot
11-12-2006, 08:49 AM
Thats pretty freaky, I'd have been quite freaked out if that had happened to me. I think those sorts of things happen to a lot of people out of the blue sometimes, I'm pretty sure its happened to me before, I just can't remember what happened now.

HeadAroundU
11-12-2006, 09:13 AM
Dreams are cool. And it makes me wanna sing now:
Sweet dreams are made of this
Who am I to disagree?
Travel the world and the seven seas
Everybody's looking for something

JoY
11-12-2006, 10:35 AM
But... but... that's anti-cartesian! That's irrational! You sure it wasn't a friend in diguise, Bella? I'm rather scared by that story so I'd prefer to verge on skepticism, if you see what I mean...

he was a middle aged, fat, limp, unshaven, homeless guy. (by the looks of it) I'm pretty sure he wasn't a friend of mine. besides; like my friends knew I was going home to my boyfriend & would drop by the store to buy a pack of Davidoff first. my boyfriend (well, exboyfriend) had called me, when I was at the university, by surprise & said he was coming to Amsterdam, so then I decided to buy cigarettes first, before going home. this man got on the tram about six stops after I did, so it's impossible he overheard the phonecall I had with my boyfriend at the university.

I was skeptic first too & thought I must've forgotten I had my boyfriend on the phone while being on the tram & told him about buying cigarettes first. but then I realised that wasn't the case & that he got on the tram such a while later than I did, that he couldn't even have overheard the phonecall with me saying; "I'm on my way", that I had after I just got on the tram. plus, how the hell would he know I study medicine? it's not like I call my boyfriend; "sweetheart, I study medicine!"

JoY
11-12-2006, 10:59 AM
I've been like that for a week; "there MUST be logical explanation" - until I kinda gave up on that idea & accepted it was one of the creepiest, weirdest experiences ever. when I told my exboyfriend about it, he said; "poor man, don't you think it's a bit harsh to show that obviously you're creeped out by him? I imagine it's a burden to know random things about random people. no wonder he chose you to sit next to. he has to choose someone to pick up signals of, or else he'd go nuts from a simple tramride." well, he had a point there.

Idiot
11-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Why do you have butterflies in your stomach etc? I have that as well at the moment but I'm not sure why. Usually if I'm anxious or concerned about something.

Idiot
11-12-2006, 03:42 PM
Yeah, I'm not anxious about anything I don't think, but got a few things on my mind and feel crap. Oh well it'll pass.