PDA

View Full Version : RHCP is the new Dain!

DeAtHsTaR
05-26-2006, 10:18 AM
Found this on Ultimate-Guitar.
Dani California/ Mary Jane's Last Dance (http://www.jared-morris.com/blog/petty.mp3)

Note the chord progression, melody, and lyrical content.

Oh well, I still love the Chilies.

DeAtHsTaR
05-26-2006, 11:52 AM
Oh right, the full story.

According to a recent Drowned In Sound report, a US radio presenter has accused the Red Hot Chili Peppers of plagiarism, claiming that the band's "Dani California" single is near identical to Tom Petty's "Mary Jane's Last Dance". "The chord progression, the melody, the tempo, the key, the lyrical theme... they're identical."

To prove the point, Morris has posted an MP3 on his personal blog. Check it out at this location. Neither Petty nor the RHCP haven't commented yet.

As previously reported, Red Hot Chili Peppers sold 157,000 copies of their Warner Bros. double-disc "Stadium Arcadium," enough to lead teh Billboard 200 chart for a second week.

XYlophonetreeZ
05-26-2006, 11:53 AM
They sped up the tempo of Mary Jane's Last Dance in that mp3.

DeAtHsTaR
05-26-2006, 12:06 PM
They sped up the tempo of Mary Jane's Last Dance in that mp3.
Lol, are you impersonating me in the Nickelback mash-up thread? And yeah, I know it's slightly speeeded up.

XYlophonetreeZ
05-26-2006, 12:50 PM
What? No, schmuck, not everything has to be about you all the time. I'm saying they sped it up because they did. And that radio station guy argued that the tempo was identical, when he was blatantly lying and sped the damn thing up himself.

Llamas
05-27-2006, 01:09 AM
I didn't know they sped it up... but the beat and drumming and rhythm and everything is the same... also the similarities in melody and lyrics... it's sad, as I am a chilis fan.

Splejse
05-27-2006, 06:40 AM
The rythm in Dani California is like the one in "Jane..." but faster.
i think that maybe Red Hot made the song without noticing the similarity. Maybe they did not think of the "jane..." song at all, but just made a good melody. And then the radio guy finds the similarity and blaims Red Hot for stealing, and maybe Red Hot then realizes that they actualy have taken a melody from another song without noticing it.

Once at my school a writer told us that she had done the same in a book without noticing it before a guy in the newspaper said that she had stolen the ending from another book.