PDA

View Full Version : A Perfect Circle

Llamas
05-28-2006, 11:25 PM
I searched for A Perfect Circle and didn't find any results, so I'm sorry if there was a thread about them before.

Anyway, I read somewhere that they probably aren't going to be releasing any more albums, and that they more or less split up. I was wondering if anyone here had any more concrete information about the situation. I really like this band, and while I prefer that Maynard spends more time on Tool, I don't want to never hear from APC again...

bouncingcoles
05-29-2006, 01:02 PM
that sucks. i like a perfect circle.

FrancoDaHui
06-02-2006, 05:26 AM
yeah, they're really good. The Hollow and Weak And Powerless have a special place in my ipod XD

Tankster949
06-02-2006, 08:29 PM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/billy_howerdel_a_perfect_circle_is_done_for_now.ht ml

From a technical standpoint, they r done. But they could possibly get together a while from now, so pray to watever God, animal, or piece of cheese that you worship that they do.

Llamas
06-02-2006, 10:19 PM
the hollow and weak and powerless... hmm... the hollow is great, but weak and powerless is average. best songs off thirteenth step, I think are the noose, the package, blue, and the outsider. mer de noms was a better album, though... I wish that they had put out another LP instead of that covers album and the remix album before they split... the remix album sucked, and the covers were okay... but just ONE more LP would've been superb.

HeadAroundU
06-04-2006, 09:28 AM
goddamnit!

sara_rock_soul
06-08-2006, 10:20 AM
I love A Perfect Circle I have: Mer De Norms, 13th Step, & Emotive, & I love Tool I have the cds: Animea & 10,000 days, yeah I heard about APC splitting up. :(

sk8ter-hater
12-09-2006, 11:36 AM
I have recently got into A Perfect Circle and I love Thirteenth Step and the few tracks I've found acoustic. I really like The Noose, The Package, Blue, The Nurse Who Loved Me, Pet, A Stranger, Sleeping Beauty, and Three Libras. The rest of the songs though are above average.

Floyd the Barber
12-09-2006, 11:42 AM
I'll hopefully be getting Mer de Noms and/or Thirteenth Step for Christmas. I heard some of "Judith" on Music Choice and thought it was good stuff.

T-6005
12-09-2006, 12:33 PM
I love A Perfect Circle I have: Mer De Norms, 13th Step, & Emotive, & I love Tool I have the cds: Animea & 10,000 days, yeah I heard about APC splitting up. :(
Thank God this post was so helpful.

Llamas
12-09-2006, 02:13 PM
I love that I had made a thread asking about information about the band's split, and people post about what APC and tool albums they own... wtf?

Jakebert
12-09-2006, 04:14 PM
That's how most of the threads here go.

Anyway, like a week ago I decided to listen to APC even though I hadn't for almost a year, and it made me all the more sad that they're breaking up. I forgot how good they were. One of the few modern mainstream rock bands that don't suck.

Llamas
12-09-2006, 04:17 PM
I am sad they're done for, but I prefer Tool quite a bit. Therefore, I'm glad that Maynard will have more time to put into Tool.

Come to think about it, I suppose I shouldn't have been at all surprised they broke up. They went through huge member changes after the first album... and then their 3rd and 4th albums were remix/cover albums. That's usually a good sign that a band is trying to fulfill a record contract and break up. :-/

nameless
12-10-2006, 03:14 PM
i havent heard anything from them in a while, i guess maybe they have other projects going on!

Apathy
12-10-2006, 04:06 PM
So Freese is only in what, twenty bands now?

I've never actually listened to APC, but I really hate Tool. Anything to slow down the release of their albums is a good thing in my book.

Llamas
12-10-2006, 04:34 PM
i havent heard anything from them in a while, i guess maybe they have other projects going on!

Tool or APC? If you meant APC, hello, the entire thread is about them breaking up...

So Freese is only in what, twenty bands now?

I've never actually listened to APC, but I really hate Tool. Anything to slow down the release of their albums is a good thing in my book.

Why the HATE for Tool? I understand a lot of people aren't fans, but hate? I can't see a reason to hate them... and they release an album once every 5 years... seems long enough for you to not be that annoyed by them.

Jakebert
12-10-2006, 06:28 PM

I don't like Tool, but I love APC, so checking them out might not be as bad as you think.

I am sad they're done for, but I prefer Tool quite a bit. Therefore, I'm glad that Maynard will have more time to put into Tool.

Personally, I think APC had a lot more potential. Tool basically is the same style of music on every album. With APC, they seemed more open to experimenting with different extremes. "Mer De Noms", for example, was much more of a mainstream rock record than "The Thirteenth Step". It was much more typical. But, "Thirteenth Step" reminded me in a lot of ways of post-rock and a lot of other genres in it's softer, more subdued approach.

With Tool albums, you kind of know going in what you're getting. With APC, there was a chance that you'd be surprised, which I like a lot.

Llamas
12-10-2006, 06:39 PM
I disagree with that... I tend to be more surprised by Tool albums than APC albums... however, APC only put out two proper albums, so that might have had an effect. However, due to the fact that APC was more pigeon-holed into the world of mainstream pop/rock, that seemed to put a huge limit on their music. I don't know, I felt like Thirteenth Step was definitely a slight divergence from Mer de Noms... but I feel like each of the four Tool albums are much more varying than those two APC albums. I guess it's just personal opinion, though.

I do agree with you that APC and Tool are much different, though. Just because you hate Tool doesn't mean you'll hate APC... it'd be like saying, "I hate Death Cab for Cutie, so I would hate Postal Service". Yes, they have the same singer, but their music sounds nothing alike.

Apathy
12-10-2006, 06:49 PM
Why the HATE for Tool? I understand a lot of people aren't fans, but hate? I can't see a reason to hate them... and they release an album once every 5 years... seems long enough for you to not be that annoyed by them.

My parents are divorced and I live up by my dad during the summer. (I swear this is going somewhere.) His shitty little truck doesn't have a cd player in it so I am forced to listen to the radio. In his area, one rock station comes in and it happens to be a hard rock/alternative station. Tool is so insanely overplayed. Listen to the radio for an hour and you're guaranteed to hear one or two Tool songs.

Couple that with the fact that I don't particularily like the music in the first place, and it turns into Hate quite easily.

Llamas
12-10-2006, 08:39 PM
I used to be forced to listen to country non stop every day at a job I hated. And I don't care for country in the first place. I still don't hate it. Doesn't seem like a valid hatred. Strong dislike maybe.

StayInTheHouseCarl
12-11-2006, 12:22 AM
i read that article that someone posted the link to...

I wouldn't be too worried right now. If you guys think back to after Mer De Noms, they (APC) took a break so Maynard could focus on Tool, and the same thing is happening now. The bottom line is Tool is Maynard's primary band, and it probably always will be. It's just a matter of time before Tool winds down again, and things with APC will pick up.

Or maybe they will break up later, but it's not really something to get worked up over at the present time.

Jakebert
12-11-2006, 03:39 AM
I used to be forced to listen to country non stop every day at a job I hated. And I don't care for country in the first place. I still don't hate it. Doesn't seem like a valid hatred. Strong dislike maybe.

I can see where he's coming from. It's kind of how I am with Incubus. What started as a simple dislike became hatred after they were forced down my throat by radio, TV, and friends who are obsessed with them and think they're the second coming despite being mediocore.

Plus, most hardcore Tool fans are douchebags so it's really hard to have respect for the band if you don't like them, because every time you say you don't, you have to hear "omg, that's because you don't understand it".

Autonomist
12-11-2006, 03:44 AM
I don't like Tool, but I love APC, so checking them out might not be as bad as you think.

I'll second this. APC are basically Tool minus the pretentious songs-that-aren't-really-songs wank.

Llamas
12-11-2006, 03:55 AM
Plus, most hardcore Tool fans are douchebags so it's really hard to have respect for the band if you don't like them, because every time you say you don't, you have to hear "omg, that's because you don't understand it".
This is very true and I agree 100%. I hate admitting that I'm a Tool fan... not because I'm embarassed to love the band, but because I hate their fans.

I'll second this. APC are basically Tool minus the pretentious songs-that-aren't-really-songs wank.
I can understand why you might think they're pretentious (though I disagree), but how are they not really songs?? That's the dumbest thing I've heard all day.

Autonomist
12-11-2006, 04:07 AM
I can understand why you might think they're pretentious (though I disagree), but how are they not really songs?? That's the dumbest thing I've heard all day.

I worded that a bit wrong, but you should've known what i mean. Both Tool albums I have contain a couple of tracks each which are just echoes or background noise or something pointless like that. I also think many of their songs suffer from being longer than they should be, however when they're good they can be really good, eg a lot of the tracks on AEnima, and a handfull off of Lateralus.

Llamas
12-11-2006, 04:13 AM
I worded that a bit wrong, but you should've known what i mean. Both Tool albums I have contain a couple of tracks each which are just echoes or background noise or something pointless like that. I also think many of their songs suffer from being longer than they should be, however when they're good they can be really good, eg a lot of the tracks on AEnima, and a handfull off of Lateralus.
I didn't know what you meant, but I gotcha now. I agree that the tracks on undertow and aenima that weren't songs were lame. On Lateralus, I liked them... and there really aren't any on 10,000 Days.

I don't know of any long tracks of theirs that I don't like... pushit, parabola, lateralus, reflection, 10,000 days... all terrific songs. The songs I tend to not like as much tend to be of normal length. But that's all just opinion.

Nina
12-11-2006, 05:25 AM
I dont understand some of the opinions in here.

I LOVE APC, but I dont have the remix CD. I really want to have it tho, I liked the cover of "Imagine" a lot (the only song off the album that I heard).

I havent gotten into Tool yet. Lately I've been so lazy. But whenever I listen to it I'm in love.

bouncingcoles
12-11-2006, 07:30 AM
they arent broken up. they will be back within the next year and a half or so. maynard is busy in tool right now. but after that he will start a perfect circle again. its a vicious cycle

Apathy
12-11-2006, 01:24 PM
coles, do you have any proof of that? Article? Sources?

Ah, that's another reason I don't like the band. The fans. Any time I've seen someone wearing A Tool Shirt they were a slightly overweight balding man at Summer Fest.
Honestly, put on some deodorant and take that chain off your wallet. No one wants to steal your bus pass. (lolz, PA)
Of course, this shouldn't really matter at all. But it bugs me. When a bands fans suck, I feel bad when I talk to people about the band.

Either way, I feel obligated to give APC a chance. So I shall do that now.

Llamas
12-11-2006, 09:11 PM
Can I recommend some songs for you??

Album: Mer de Noms
Judith (though this might be too heavy and remind you of Tool)
3 Libras (LOOOVE this song).
Brena

Album: Thirteenth Step
The Package
THE NOOSE. if you get anything, GET THIS SONG.
The Outsider (pretty popular, you might've heard it before)

Album: eMotive (the cover album)
Annihilation (it's weird, but I love it)
Imagine (greaaaaaat interpretation of the original)
Counting Bodies Like Sheep to the Rhythm of a War Drum

Those are my favorites, and most of them sound NOTHING like tool, except for having the same singer. Definitely check them out!

Jakebert
12-12-2006, 03:23 AM
I'd defenitely 2nd "The Noose" and "3 Libras", seeing as those are 2 of the best modern rock songs ever. But, I'd also like to add "The Nurse Who Loved Me" to the list. It's not representive of their sound, but it's a damn good song.

Llamas
12-12-2006, 03:32 AM
yeah it's good... but I wanted to limit myself to three songs per album, haha. Otherwise I would've ended up giving like 9 songs per album. :p