PDA

View Full Version : Yet another question

Nina
05-29-2006, 10:15 AM
I've looked around on the net but couldnt find the answer to my question... do birds fart?

Birds feed on nectar, plants, seeds, insects, rodents, fish, carrion, or other birds.

Good.

Birds possess a ventriculus, or gizzard, that is composed of four muscular bands that act to rotate and crush food by shifting the food from one area to the next within the gizzard. Depending on the species, the gizzard may contain small pieces of grit or stone that the bird has swallowed to aid in the grinding process of digestion. For birds in captivity, only certain species of birds require grit in their diet for digestion.

Cool.

But I want my question answered :[

quotes taken from Wikipedia.org

JoY
05-29-2006, 10:16 AM
I don't see why not.

Nina
05-29-2006, 10:17 AM
Well...do they need it? From a biological point of view? They probably do but I am still quite uncertain.

Nina
05-29-2006, 10:36 AM
Intestinal gas is composed of 90% exogenous sources (air that is ingested through the nose and mouth) and 10% endogenous sources (gas produced within the digestive tract). The exogenous gases are swallowed (aerophagia) when eating or drinking or during times of excessive salivation (as might occur when nauseated or as the result of gastroesophageal reflux disease). The endogenous gases are produced as a by-product of digesting certain types of food. Flatulence producing foods are typically high in polysaccharides (especially oligosaccharides such as inulin) and include beans, milk, onions, sweet potatoes, cheese, cashews, broccoli, cabbage, Jerusalem artichokes, oats, yeast in breads, etc.

Raw fruits cause flatulence as well. The answer is yes, I'd say.

ALSO

In the case of those with lactose intolerance, intestinal bacteria feeding on lactose can give rise to excessive gas production when milk or lactose-containing substances have been consumed.

Awesome! I never realized that. I guess my new weapon against my brother's fart attacks is white and liquid.

You learn something new everday.

All About Eve
05-29-2006, 10:37 AM
Now find out if fish, reptiles, amphibians, and invertebrates fart.

Tizzalicious
05-29-2006, 10:38 AM
Why would that be your new weapon? I'm confused.

Is hyour bird being smelly, btw? (Wow, this would be a weird question if you had a cat.)

JoY
05-29-2006, 10:39 AM
I guess my newly weapon against my brother's fart attacks is white and liquid.

You learn something new everday.
*laughs* oh lord, poor boy.

Nina
05-29-2006, 10:40 AM
My bird doesnt smell bad, but I've always been interested if she COULD be the cause of any bad smell. lolz.

I'm lactose intolerant. Does that answer your question, doll?

NEW JOY ICON.
me likes. I wanna see the big version.

JoY
05-29-2006, 10:42 AM
yay! thankies. I'll PM it to you. ;D

Tizzalicious
05-29-2006, 10:42 AM
Ah yes, that does answer my question! I never knew! But trust me, you don't wanna get all bloated.

Nina
05-29-2006, 10:44 AM
Hahaha.
Well now you know....no milk for me! ever! I always get stomach aches from it.

And here is me, in the process of eating my pet.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/ninaeatspie/stuff/100_3219.jpg

nieh
05-29-2006, 10:46 AM
If I'm not mistaken, people mostly fart because we have bacteria in our bodies that help us break down food and they're the ones that actually create most of the gases. If bidrs don't have the same sort of digestive process we do then there's a good chance they don't fart.

JoY
05-29-2006, 10:49 AM
well, dogs fart (& how!). many animals fart. I imagine even my hamster farted. I guess I just never heard it. imagine any animal without bacteria that help in the process of digesting food & that are for your immune system... I dunno. I don't think that'd be good.

Nina! you read my mind; I just PMed you with a picture-request, I come back & there it is. well, not exactly a headshot, but uberfuckingcute nontheless.

nieh
05-29-2006, 10:53 AM
well, dogs fart (& how!). many animals fart. I imagine even my hamster farted. I guess I just never heard it. imagine any animal without bacteria that help in the process of digesting food & that are for your immune system... I dunno. I don't think that'd be good.

Mostly mammals though. I've had all sorts of pets in my life and I've never had a bird or a reptile fart. At least not that I could tell.

kamikaze
05-29-2006, 10:55 AM
I know for a fact that seagulls don't fart. That's why if you feed them an Alkasceltzer (sp?!) tablet, they'll basically explode. The gas builds up inside them and they have no way of releasing it, so they pretty much... you know... pop.

Tizzalicious
05-29-2006, 10:56 AM
So cute!

And when you're here, we can be milkless together, I 1. hate it 2. stopped having in other things too, as there's a big chance I'm intolerant for it aswell. I replaced it with soymilk. Lolz. Hippie.

nieh
05-29-2006, 10:58 AM
I know for a fact that seagulls don't fart. That's why if you feed them an Alkasceltzer (sp?!) tablet, they'll basically explode. The gas builds up inside them and they have no way of releasing it, so they pretty much... you know... pop.

No, it's because the whole reaction with the alkaseltzer stuff happens much faster than they bodies can handle. If there's a hole at either end of their stomach then there's obviously somewhere the gases can go, just not fast enough.

Nina
05-29-2006, 10:59 AM
At least not that I could tell.

ding ding ding!

But I agree with Joy. Before I made this topic I read that birds disgest food with a mixture of stone, water and acid type of stuff. Bacteria much?

Tizz: I haaattee Soymilk! How can you like it? Haha.

Tizzalicious
05-29-2006, 11:00 AM
I don't know, I never had soymilk non-mixed, so I don't know what it tastes like without anything else, but I do like it with coffee...and in banana (soy)milkshakes! :P

Everything is better than the taste of real milk!

Nina
05-29-2006, 11:01 AM
To be honest, I dont even dislike the taste of it. I just hate what it does to me :[
Sometimes I get mad tho. Because I wanna eat fruit loops but cant.

JoY
05-29-2006, 11:02 AM
you.. you like fruit loops?

I think I just fell in love.

Endymion
05-29-2006, 11:03 AM
not true.

also, wiki:

Flatulence is the release of a mixture of gases known as flatus produced by symbiotic bacteria and yeasts living in the gastrointestinal tract of mammals. Flatulence is released under pressure through the anus, often accompanied by odor and sound. Releasing flatulence is colloquially known as farting.

kamikaze
05-29-2006, 11:03 AM
No, it's because the whole reaction with the alkaseltzer stuff happens much faster than they bodies can handle. If there's a hole at either end of their stomach then there's obviously somewhere the gases can go, just not fast enough.
Really, now? Thank you for telling me that. I've always understood that they just couldn't do it. Ha! Now I won't look like such an ass telling other people that story. :p

Tizzalicious
05-29-2006, 11:04 AM
To be honest, I dont even dislike the taste of it. I just hate what it does to me :[
Sometimes I get mad tho. Because I wanna eat fruit loops but cant.

You could try other kinds of fake milk? There's also rice milk...and one other kind I forgot, I started with trying the soy one and I liked it, so I stuck with that one.

I know how you feel though =/ Not with milk obviously, but with some other foodz.

Paint_It_Black
05-29-2006, 04:51 PM
I don't know much about the farting habits of animals, but I do know that milk is delicious and has been horribly slandered in this thread.

Andy
05-29-2006, 04:53 PM
I'm pretty certain that as long as an animal has a digestive system and an anus, it farts.

Paint_It_Black
05-29-2006, 04:56 PM
I'm pretty certain that as long as an animal has a digestive system and an anus, it farts.

Did you read Endy's post?

Andy
05-29-2006, 05:09 PM
Did you read Endy's post?
Did I fuck. I never read through things before I post. I like the danger.

Paint_It_Black
05-29-2006, 05:27 PM
Don't ever change.

JoY
05-29-2006, 05:35 PM
I'm pretty sure unvoluntarily he won't, so don't worry.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-29-2006, 06:16 PM
I love how Bella can make a comment, and you're not quite sure if it's an insult or not. It's genius.

Paint_It_Black
05-29-2006, 06:18 PM
She certainly has a talent for it.

Hey, that's almost like one.

JoY
05-30-2006, 04:52 AM
*takes a bow* thanks boys.

Andy
05-30-2006, 07:12 AM
I still don't know if you guys are being mean to me :confused:

And I still haven't read Endys post. I refuse to now, out of pure shameful stubbornness (sp).

Nina
05-30-2006, 12:25 PM
It's basically what I said many many posts before :/