PDA

View Full Version : Peeping Tom (solo Mike Patton, omgz!)

nieh
05-30-2006, 07:49 PM
This album is being hailed as the most poppy/accessible stuff Mike Patton's done since his days in Faith No More. Since he first started with Mr. Bungle, Patton's done just about everything: death metal, jazz, ska, lounge-crooning, funk/metal, ambient, surf rock, rap/hip-hop, and almost everything in between. This album has glimpes of just about everything he's done but is generally much more accessible. No shifting time/key/genre every 10 seconds, no screaming in your ear, hardly any of the stuff that makes most of his bands so off-putting to your average listener. That doesn't mean this stuff is ready to head straight for the radio, just that it's a lot more listener-friendly than most of his stuff is. Every song has a different guest including folks like Rahzel (the human beat-box), Dan the Automator, Norah Jones and Massive Attack. I was surprised by how much rap/hip-hop influence came through on this album. I was expecting more funk/metal/jazz and while those are all there it's the hip-hop influence that seems to be the most common. It's not the best thing he's ever worked on but most of the album is pretty fun. Here's a couple songs if you want to check it out:

Mojo (featuring Rahzel and Dan the Automator) (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=A2278B9B1978FEB5)
Kill the DJ (featuring Massive Attack) (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=08EFAC5A61CFB33F)
We're Not Alone (featuring Dub Trio) (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=7D1C308C287E0FB4)

coke_a_holic
05-30-2006, 08:00 PM
Sweet! Thankyou<3

BREAK
05-30-2006, 10:13 PM
The cover art is uh, pretty damn sweet as well.

downlowtooslow
05-31-2006, 08:27 AM
I saw them perform mojo on conan obrien last week

mike patton is definitely one of the most creative musicians out there today

def pick up the peeping tom album

nieh
06-01-2006, 06:02 AM
The cover art is uh, pretty damn sweet as well.

True. I'd put pictures if I didn't have to leave for work now. Basically you pull one end out and the cd pops out of the other end. Very neat.

And yay, I'm not sick of the album yet. Tracks 3-5 are the weakest ones on there and it sucks that they're all in a row, but the rest of the album is quite enjoyable.

edit: actually 3's not all that bad, just a bit too long. Track 4 annoys the hell out of me and 5 has three parts, one of which is good and the other 2 annoy the hell out of me.

Endymion
06-01-2006, 07:49 AM
he did something called hemophiliac with john zorn and some other dude a while back and it's hella good.

nieh
06-01-2006, 08:00 AM
I actually had some live tracks of them a while back and hated them at the time. I might check them out again cause I wasn't fond of John Zorn in general back then but I remember thinking it was way too random.

Have you ever heard his first two solo albums? Adult Themes for Voices and one other one I don't remember the name of. He just records his voice into a 4-track recorder. As much as I love the guy, those were shit. It would've been cool had he layered his voice to make songs out of it but he didn't. It was just random belching and farting and yelping sounds.