PDA

View Full Version : Pool/Foosball Rules

Mota Boy
05-31-2006, 12:41 AM
Interesting things about these games, what I love, is that there are always "House rules", as in every person and every place has their own distinct rules for how these games should operate. For those of y'all that routinely engage in these extremely important activities, I'd like to know what you consider the "rules" to the games.

For me:

Foosball:

Spinning is not allowed.

Every man can score a goal at any time, and no matter which man scores, it only counts as one point.

If the ball flies off the table, everyone has to drink.

Pool:

If you scratch off the break, you lose.

You have to play the first type of ball you shoot in (stripes or solids). If you knock in both in one round, you get to choose.

If you scratch, you have to place the cue ball behind the second dotted line on the side you placed it to break, and you have to shoot balls beyond the halfway mark on the table.

If you knock the cue ball off the table, your opponent gets to place it anywhere on the table they please.

You have to call the pocket into which you shoot the eight ball, which can be any pocket you choose. If you scratch while shooting the eight ball, or hit the eight ball into a different pocket, you lose.

Thomas
05-31-2006, 12:48 AM
Well, it is always a rule in my house that I am always the yellow guys and music always has to be blaring. Other than that, though, the spinning, goal, and ball-flying-off-the-table rules apply. (btw, I am fortunate enough to have a foosball table in my room. I just wanted to brag a little).

XYlophonetreeZ
05-31-2006, 01:01 AM
My house rules say no spinning, but if the goalie scores then it's two points. If you have 9 points and the goalie scores, your score goes back down to one.

Mota Boy
05-31-2006, 01:10 AM
music always has to be blaring.
Heh, I was shooting pool with a friend of mine tonight when I started kicking ass repeatedly when my songs came up on the jukebox. Finally, it got to the point where I was beating her already and she moaned "Oooooh, and now you're going to be even better now that 'Rosa Parks' has come on."

X to the Z - I played the two point goalie rule in high school, not the resetting one, though. That's just evil. And I've only ever played to five points. Most bars only give you nine balls anyway.

I guess I should add - it's win by two if given unlimited balls, sudden death if the table only spits out a certain number.

notoriousdoc
05-31-2006, 01:15 AM
*table soccer.

Mota Boy
05-31-2006, 01:44 AM
*shut the fuck up

Thomas
05-31-2006, 02:56 PM
Foosball is way more hardcore of a name than that pussy table soccer.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-31-2006, 03:01 PM
It's not even table soccer, it's table football. But wtf, who cares what it's called.

Table football
No spinning, obviously.
1 point no matter who scores.
Play nine balls. Best of 9. Whether it's unlimited or what, it's always best of 9.
There's a glass top on our table football table, so the flying off doesn't count. We all drink while playing anyway.

Pool

You play whichever ball you sink first, NOT the first you touch. If you sink both first, you get to choose.
If you scratch, it's 3 shots to the other player, but you don't lose.
You can never have more than 1 shot on the black, even if the other player fucks up.

Tijs
05-31-2006, 03:24 PM
Table football rules are the same here as Dave's, except a goal doesn't count when you score with the middle row (5). Also playing with all 10 balls, but that differs sometimes.

As for pool,

- You play the first ball you sink, not hit. Sink both, you choose.
- If you miss, hit the other first, hit the 8 first, put in the other, hit any ball of the table, the other player is allowed two hits.
- When one of the player has to finish 8, no more two hits is allowed, for either one of the players.
- When the white ball sinks, or goes off the table, it gets put on the basic line, from which the first shot was done. You're allowed to move it horizontally.
- If you put in your last ball, 8 should be played in the pocked at the opposite of it, diagonally. Except for the middle pockets, sink in one, play in the other.

JohnnyNemesis
05-31-2006, 03:37 PM
I'm extremely jealous; I haven't played foosball in YEARS. I don't really have any house rules, but I very much enjoy the way Dr. Treez plays.

I usually kick ass at almost everything once my music starts blaring, and I had an experience similar to yours, Mota. In Super Monkey Ball for the Gamecube, me and my group of friends became obsessed with the Bowling, Tennis, and ESPECIALLY Fight games. My one cousin was a master of Tennis, the other a master of Bowling, and I was the expert of fight. We even had our own purposely horrible and dorky catchphrases when we did well.

One time, some of my favorite songs ever came coming up in succession on our playlist's shuffle. First was "Ante Up" by M.O.P., then "Say What You Say" by Eminem, then "Da Rockwilder" by Method Man and Redman. By the time "U Don't Know" by Jay-Z came on, my cousins were damn near crying, I was whoopin' their asses so bad. They were losing bad enough, but once the Jay-Z track came on, they said something similar to what your friend said.

Ohh, good times.

Iddy
05-31-2006, 04:23 PM
Well, I don't play table football (i can't say foosball, it just doesn't sound right)... But Pool I love, although I don't play often anymore :(

Rules:

- The first ball you pot determines your set, and although I haven't seen it happen, I assume you can choose if you pot one of both.
- You must touch at least one of your own set with every aim. If not your opponent gets a free go.
- One of your own set must also be the first ball the white ball touches, otherwise the above also applies.
- If the white ball goes off the table, or is potted, then it must return to the line.
-You must call the hole for the 8 ball before you aim, and the other player wins if you pot it in another hole (even if they haven't potted all their balls yet).

Betty
05-31-2006, 06:23 PM
For pool:

I guess I'll go with the least lenient rules I've encountered, and thus would believe to be correct. Any leniency then would be our own decision to make it easier on ourselves, or some weirder ways people play sometimes.

There are tons of little things I'm not sure what I'd do if I encountered.

We never call shots. The 8 ball has to go into the last pocket. When we're wussy we'll play any pocket.

A scratch happens when:
-the cue ball is sunk at any time
-the cue ball flies off the table
-the cue ball hits nothing on the table
-the cue ball hits the opposite type of ball first

When you scratch, you have to place the cue ball past the line and shoot down the table (at any ball, never heard of that other rule...)
(some people play ball-in-hand [anywhere on the table] for scratches, but I think that's silly). I like to play that you can leave the cue ball where it is if you choose and not have to move it down the table, for say a scratch where the wrong ball was hit.

You lose if you sink the 8 ball at anytime before you're supposed to or if you put it in the wrong pocket or if you sink the cue ball when you sink the 8 ball.

And the moose kicks ass.

My dad maintains that he gets increasingly better at pool, or any sport/activity for that matter, as he consumes more beers, but only if he started playing at the same time as he started drinking. The sad part is that it's probably true. I'm not sure if that applies to myself...

Sin Studly
05-31-2006, 06:52 PM
Pool

- The legality of 'shooting backwards' must be determined before the game starts.
- You shoot for whichever ball you sink first. If you sink two at once, you may choose.
- Other player gets 2 free shots if you sink the cue, don't hit one of your own balls, or sink one of the other guys balls
- The game if over if you sink the black with other balls remaining on the table. You lose.
- You don't have to nominate your pocket when finishing the game.

And the rule I'm surprised not to see here already, which is known only as the "Pub Rule" in Australia...

If you lose the game with all seven of your balls still on the table, you have to do two laps of the pool table with your pants around your ankles.

the_GoDdEsS
05-31-2006, 09:45 PM
Why is spinning not allowed? Well, if I have a correct idea of what it is...

Thomas
05-31-2006, 09:48 PM
Spinning isn't allowed because it is hard on the table, it is obnoxious, and people could just start spinning randomly out of control to hit the ball, which requires no talent at all. eh. I didn't explain that very well. Anyone else know what I'm saying?

the_GoDdEsS
05-31-2006, 09:49 PM
I thought some used spinning tactically.

Thomas
05-31-2006, 09:55 PM
I guess so. I don't know. I never liked to use it, even when it was allowed because I don't have nearly as much control and I can actually get more velocity from just snapping my wrist.

the_GoDdEsS
05-31-2006, 10:03 PM
But yeah, I guess it can be annoying.

T-6005
05-31-2006, 10:44 PM
I'll play whatever allows me to randomly score shots in foosball. Since I suck at it.

Same goes with pool, except I'll refuse to play pool when I'm sober. When I'm not sober... well, it definitely doesn't improve my skill, but at least I don't care as much.

Paint_It_Black
06-01-2006, 01:36 AM
Pool

- The legality of 'shooting backwards' must be determined before the game starts.
- You shoot for whichever ball you sink first. If you sink two at once, you may choose.
- Other player gets 2 free shots if you sink the cue, don't hit one of your own balls, or sink one of the other guys balls
- The game if over if you sink the black with other balls remaining on the table. You lose.
- You don't have to nominate your pocket when finishing the game.

Pretty much the same, except you only get one free shot when your opponent fucks up, and then your regular shot. I really dislike playing pool with any rules other than these.