PDA

View Full Version : Are you Atheist?

Ultima94
05-31-2006, 07:27 AM
I'm agnostic. I like it when people get in fight at my school whether evoloution is real or not. I'm usally on the evoulotion side.

Little_Miss_1565
05-31-2006, 07:31 AM
Evolution has nothing to do with religion, and the two can coexist. Don't be an asshat and hurt the evolution cause in public schools just because you love controversy.

Anyway, I'm Buddhist and you didn't leave that option up there so I AM OFFENDED! :mad: :mad: :mad: NO MORE HOPE FOR BETTER DAYS

Ultima94
05-31-2006, 07:33 AM
Evolution has nothing to do with religion, and the two can coexist. Don't be an asshat and hurt the evolution cause in public schools just because you love controversy.

Anyway, I'm Buddhist and you didn't leave that option up there so I AM OFFENDED! :mad: :mad: :mad: NO MORE HOPE FOR BETTER DAYS

No, what a meant to put there was "No, I belive in A god".

lost_nvrfound
05-31-2006, 08:16 AM
the only thing i can't stand are those christians who preach the bible like they're something special and deserve attention, miss quoting and taking everything they use in their defense out of context. those people really piis me off more than anything and i love seeing them humiliated when their ignorance is flaunted right in their face.

really, since the bible has so many parts that are missing or have been changed to such an extent that they are completly unrecognizable when compared to the original text, any part of the bible that you read will be out of context. its information was unreliable from the begining, being based soley on people's accounts of the occured events more than 50 years after they took place and was then changed by a power hungry ruler who made it fit his ideals and interpretations rather than the message this book was trying to give.

nieh
05-31-2006, 08:25 AM
No, what a meant to put there was "No, I belive in A god".

So you believe in more than one? That's not agnostic...

Vera
05-31-2006, 08:51 AM
Buddhism doesn't have a god, dipshit. Read a book on world religions, geez.

Endymion
05-31-2006, 08:54 AM
fuck this topic. where the fuck to people get off thinking retarded shit like "scientists can't believe in god" or "evolution = no god"?

do us all a favor and NEVER reproduce.

retarded cocksucker.

Sin Studly
05-31-2006, 09:00 AM
Wanna see something cute?

the only thing i can't stand are those christians who preach the bible like they're something special and deserve attention, miss quoting and taking everything they use in their defense out of context. those people really piis me off more than anything and i love seeing them humiliated when their ignorance is flaunted right in their face.

really, since the bible has so many parts that are missing or have been changed to such an extent that they are completly unrecognizable when compared to the original text, any part of the bible that you read will be out of context. its information was unreliable from the begining, being based soley on people's accounts of the occured events more than 50 years after they took place and was then changed by a power hungry ruler who made it fit his ideals and interpretations rather than the message this book was trying to give.

... can be changed to....

the only thing i can't stand are those athiests who preach Stephen Hawkings like they're something special and deserve attention, miss quoting and taking everything they use in their defense out of context. those people really piis me off more than anything and i love seeing them humiliated when their ignorance is flaunted right in their face.

really, since Brief History of Time has so many parts that are missing or have had Mr. Hawkings change his mind on to such an extent that they are completly unrecognizable when compared to the original text, any part of any astrophysical text trying to explain the creation and/or existance of the universe that you read will be out of context. its information was unreliable from the begining, being based soley on people's guesses and speculation of the occured events more than 50 million billion gazillion trillionyears after they took place and was then changed by a every pseudointellectual hardkore athiest who made it fit his ideals and interpretations rather than the message this book was trying to give (because he was too stupid to understand anything past the introduction).

I love beliefs.

Nina
05-31-2006, 10:08 AM
Well, I am an atheist. But I hate cocksuckers who dont understand that not everyone has to have the same belief.
And...evolution and the creation of the world by god can exist next to each other.
Edit: I have more time than I thought I'd have.
And both things can be believed by one person also, it will still make sense. There are a specific group of christians (I forgot their name) who argue that the creation of DNA is extremly unlikely to happen on its own. Thus the theory is that god created the earth and then "let it happen" that DNA and all the other junk starts to exist.
Most of the time I wished that this forum would be in German. I cant explain for shit in this language.

mrconeman
05-31-2006, 10:30 AM
I dont really know and/or care if theres a God, I just find it hilarious to no end that when people assume I dont beleive in God, that makes me a Satan worshipper, Its boundlessly hilarious because thier too retarded to realise that in order to beleive in Satan you must beleive in God.

notoriousdoc
05-31-2006, 10:50 AM
i punk. punk no god.

Marco
05-31-2006, 10:50 AM
I dont really know and/or care if theres a God, I just find it hilarious to no end that when people assume I dont beleive in God, that makes me a Satan worshipper, Its boundlessly hilarious because thier too retarded to realise that in order to beleive in Satan you must beleive in God.
Interesting..........I think I'll second that

Sunny
05-31-2006, 11:08 AM
oh stfu. srsly.

and i'm not an atheist. *shrug*

wheelchairman
05-31-2006, 11:23 AM
I'm a baptist, and you're a fucking sinner.

My church has a swimming pool, what does yours have?

notoriousdoc
05-31-2006, 11:24 AM
rafters .

endlesst0m
05-31-2006, 01:08 PM
I have too many unanswered questions to believe in God. I always wanted to make a list of them so that I can see how many there are, because its amazing how many questions I've come up with. Having so many questions makes it really hard to believe in God.

The main question I have though is...why did God even bother to make a universe? Me and my grandmom asked a priest this one time, and he said God did it "to know his love for his people" or something very similar to that. Whatever. It doesn't make sense to me that a supreme being would invent the concept of good and evil, which of course, doesn't natrually exist (hey, NOTHING natrually existed before God made it),then create a world and put people on it, and then those people are supposed to always be good instead of bad. What's the point of that?

Subsidal
05-31-2006, 01:25 PM
I believe in God

Preocupado
05-31-2006, 01:27 PM
God pwns christian sinner with lightning. (http://www.wsbtv.com/news/9293414/detail.html)

She said 'Amen' and the room was engulfed in a huge ball of fire. The 65-year-old Brown said she is blessed to be alive.

nieh
05-31-2006, 01:30 PM
It doesn't make sense to me that a supreme being would invent the concept of good and evil, which of course, doesn't natrually exist (hey, NOTHING natrually existed before God made it),then create a world and put people on it, and then those people are supposed to always be good instead of bad. What's the point of that?

You're arguing against the belief of a benevolent, Christian god like it's either that or nothing.

endlesst0m
05-31-2006, 01:33 PM
You're arguing against the belief of a benevolent, Christian god like it's either that or nothing.

What popular religions feature God's that aren't at least somewhat like that though?

notoriousdoc
05-31-2006, 01:39 PM
Hinduism .

endlesst0m
05-31-2006, 01:44 PM
Hinduism .

Really? Because I'm reading about it on wikipedia right now, and it doesn't seem to be immensly different in most ways. There's still good and bad, and a creator, and so on.

nieh
05-31-2006, 01:49 PM
What popular religions feature God's that aren't at least somewhat like that though?

Who says popular religions are right? There have been a countless number of religions since the beginning of time and at most only one of them is 100% correct and the rest are wrong. You're trying to say that god doesn't exist based on flaws you find in manmade belief structures. They're manmade, of course there are going to be problems with them. That doesn't mean there's no such thing as a god though.

wheelchairman
05-31-2006, 02:06 PM
I'm so happy no one has mentioned the flying spaghetti monster. It was leached onto by scum.

endlesst0m
05-31-2006, 02:14 PM
Who says popular religions are right? There have been a countless number of religions since the beginning of time and at most only one of them is 100% correct and the rest are wrong. You're trying to say that god doesn't exist based on flaws you find in manmade belief structures. They're manmade, of course there are going to be problems with them. That doesn't mean there's no such thing as a god though.

Whatever dude. Keep saying that if you want,(believe me, I knew someone would, especially on this BBS) but in when it comes to actual, sane thought, if you have a problem with the idea that theres a God who A) For some reason, made a universe B)For some reason created good an evil C) For some reason, wants people to be good, then you have a problem with religion. Period. Because these three ideas exist in pretty much all religions, and it's those same three ideas that don't make sense to me.

Endymion
05-31-2006, 02:19 PM
The main question I have though is...why did God even bother to make a universe?so you don't believe in god because you don't see why he'd make the universe? you'd rather believe... what, exactly? where did it come from, if not a god-like being creating it?

wheelchairman
05-31-2006, 02:19 PM
Endlesst0m your avatar is very appropriate.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-31-2006, 02:20 PM
Have you had a chance to look into every religion that ever existed then?

Vera
05-31-2006, 02:21 PM
where did it come from, if not a god-like being creating it?
Are you actually trying to argue this?

endlesst0m
05-31-2006, 02:28 PM
Endlesst0m your avatar is very appropriate.

I'll bet you don't have the answers to questions I've proposed, jackass.

endlesst0m
05-31-2006, 02:29 PM
so you don't believe in god because you don't see why he'd make the universe? you'd rather believe... what, exactly? where did it come from, if not a god-like being creating it?

I don't have to answer to that, but are you saying that since I don't have the answer I should just believe what a lot of other people believe?

Endymion
05-31-2006, 02:31 PM
no, i'm saying since you have no fucking clue you shouldn't preclude God from being a possible cause.

endlesst0m
05-31-2006, 02:33 PM
no, i'm saying since you have no fucking clue you shouldn't preclude God from being a possible cause.

I really haven't, although I admit that me stating I don't believe in God gives you a good reason to think that. Right now I don't believe in God, but the idea that God exists will probably never be shut out for good.

I put a lot of time into thinking about God. No matter though...I'm sure I will be treated by the believers in God here as some impressionable idiot that doesn't believe in God because he thinks it's the cool punk rock thing to do.

nieh
05-31-2006, 02:40 PM
Whatever dude. Keep saying that if you want,(believe me, I knew someone would, especially on this BBS) but in when it comes to actual, sane thought, if you have a problem with the idea that theres a God who A) For some reason, made a universe B)For some reason created good an evil C) For some reason, wants people to be good, then you have a problem with religion. Period. Because these three ideas exist in pretty much all religions, and it's those same three ideas that don't make sense to me.

Man created good and evil, it's all perception and labels. Free will allows us to be both nice and mean to people. People create religions based around good and evil and a god that rewards them for being good because it's what they want to believe in. Deism is the belief that god created the universe and then abandoned it. No good or evil or anything like that. No heaven or hell, nothing. Thomas Jefferson was supposedly a Deist. What do you believe in? Science? Me too! But following all the rules and theories of science going all the way back to the big bang, something had to put that little speck there. The whole concept that nothing can be created or destroyed, only changed into other forms kind of screws with idea of it just showing up on its own. That little tiny speck had to get there somehow, didn't it?

nieh
05-31-2006, 02:41 PM
I really haven't, although I admit that me stating I don't believe in God gives you a good reason to think that. Right now I don't believe in God, but the idea that God exists will probably never be shut out for good.

Then you're agnostic, not atheist.

Sinister
05-31-2006, 02:50 PM
I believe that there is no such thing as a God.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-31-2006, 02:52 PM
I was an agnostic until someone explained to me this thing about God existing on a different plain to us. He described it like this - "do you think bacteria are aware of our existence?"

That really made me think, and now I'm not so sure.

0r4ng3
05-31-2006, 02:54 PM
I'm atheist in the sense that I don't believe in a specific religion.

Similar to the whole bacteria theory, I think that there's an entire species of beings greater than us, that we know nothing of. There's not just one god, but many.

Iddy
05-31-2006, 05:37 PM
I have no idea if a God exists, but I would never claim one didn't exist. However if a God did exist I believe he/she/it would be purely a creator and not an intervener in daily events like many religions preach.

I despise the term Agnostic though... its so wet and weak.

no_way
05-31-2006, 06:12 PM
According to my family and my school, I am catholic, but I don't exactly believe in God, but I do not consider myself an atheist, I do believe in destiny, destiny is the purpose of everything, it's like if everything was written down to happen, strange, but those are my beliefs

Sin Studly
05-31-2006, 07:47 PM
I can tell you all, without a speck of doubt in my mind, that God exists.

Before you ask, I learned this in a mirror, not a bible.

Sinister
05-31-2006, 07:48 PM
Ever heard of narcissism ?

Sin Studly
05-31-2006, 07:54 PM
Ever heard of shutting the fuck up and not questioning your Lord and Master, you puny mortal?

Llamas
05-31-2006, 11:49 PM
I believe that there's a god, and I also believe in the ideals of the bible. However, I don't believe in Jesus as a man/god who was crucified for our sins, or that the bible should or can be taken literally. Therefore, I'm not a christian. I consider myself religious and all that, and I also believe in evolution. I believe evolutionism and creationism are the same thing, but evolution is the literal translation of creationism. (eg: God created man= man evolved from common ancestors of things that already existed).

I don't get into arguments about this kind of thing, because it's pointless. I think it's ridiculous to insult other people for what they THINK about something unprovable. Same to whoever ranted about christians who preach... I get just as sick of them as I do to the atheist group running around campus telling everyone there's no god.

bd007h
05-31-2006, 11:50 PM
I swear to god I'm an atheist

Paint_It_Black
06-01-2006, 03:02 AM
I'm agnostic.

On the subject of how life started, I lean towards intelligent design, because I feel the complexity of living organisms suggests it. I don't believe it, I simply find it very plausible. But I offer no theories on how any possible design may have come into being. Remember, I'm agnostic. Also, I don't think intelligent design should be seen as an alternative to evolution. I feel the evidence suggests that both play a role together. The ability to evolve could easily be a part of any theoretical design.

I like to look at all evidence and then decide what seems possible. Then further break it down into what seems plausible. Ideally you can then find something that seems so certain you can call it a fact. But if I can't be that certain, I keep an open mind.

What I don't understand is how people have belief in something. I'm not attacking those people, but I truly don't understand. I often envy them though. I think I could never be like them, because I'm always willing to accept that anything I know could possibly be proved wrong. It seems to me that an essential part of belief is in not accepting that you could be wrong. Like I said, I don't understand it.

ninthlayer
06-01-2006, 03:04 AM
I swear to god I'm an atheist
You're also a faggot.

Llamas
06-01-2006, 03:21 AM
I'm agnostic.

On the subject of how life started, I lean towards intelligent design, because I feel the complexity of living organisms suggests it. I don't believe it, I simply find it very plausible. But I offer no theories on how any possible design may have come into being. Remember, I'm agnostic. Also, I don't think intelligent design should be seen as an alternative to evolution. I feel the evidence suggests that both play a role together. The ability to evolve could easily be a part of any theoretical design.

I like to look at all evidence and then decide what seems possible. Then further break it down into what seems plausible. Ideally you can then find something that seems so certain you can call it a fact. But if I can't be that certain, I keep an open mind.

What I don't understand is how people have belief in something. I'm not attacking those people, but I truly don't understand. I often envy them though. I think I could never be like them, because I'm always willing to accept that anything I know could possibly be proved wrong. It seems to me that an essential part of belief is in not accepting that you could be wrong. Like I said, I don't understand it.

I disagree about intelligent design, but I am so with you on "I like to look at all evidence and then decide what seems possible. Then further break it down into what seems plausible. Ideally you can then find something that seems so certain you can call it a fact. But if I can't be that certain, I keep an open mind." too many people form their opinions based on blind faith/ whatever it was they were raised on.

Also strong agreement on " I often envy them though. I think I could never be like them, because I'm always willing to accept that anything I know could possibly be proved wrong. It seems to me that an essential part of belief is in not accepting that you could be wrong. " I often wish I could just accept some sort of faith... but I can't believe that anything is fact. it's all just opinion.

Paint_It_Black
06-01-2006, 03:24 AM
You're also a faggot.

The vast majority of your posts seem to be exactly like the one I've quoted. Is that even enjoyable? I've been wondering that for a while now. Sure, many of us make posts like that from time to time. But I really can't see how it would be enjoyable to almost exclusively make those kind of posts. I have this impression of you skim-reading all the threads, waiting for an opportunity to insult someone without it seeming entirely random.

Llamas
06-01-2006, 03:27 AM
...seems entirely random and unrelated to me.

ninthlayer
06-01-2006, 03:33 AM
The vast majority of your posts seem to be exactly like the one I've quoted. Is that even enjoyable? I've been wondering that for a while now. Sure, many of us make posts like that from time to time. But I really can't see how it would be enjoyable to almost exclusively make those kind of posts. I have this impression of you skim-reading all the threads, waiting for an opportunity to insult someone without it seeming entirely random.
Well, simply put, you're incorrect. gg though.

Sin Studly
06-01-2006, 06:04 AM
...seems entirely random and unrelated to me.

It's not, bdh007whatever is a total faggot.

mrconeman
06-01-2006, 06:10 AM
I cant wait to the next time human beings evolve, take that Christianity

Italia311
06-01-2006, 06:25 AM
Buddhism isn't even a religion really...its a way of life no? So, infact, you could be a Catholic Buddhist...

Besides, evolution doesn't rule out creation in the bible...Adam and Eve could have been apes...

Similar to the whole bacteria theory, I think that there's an entire species of beings greater than us, that we know nothing of. There's not just one god, but many.

Maybe not many Gods...but, one God and many Arch Angels?

Or even greek or roman myth...there were many Gods...but we all knew who the head cheese was...Zeus...Jupiter...and then all those other useless ones...

nieh
06-01-2006, 07:14 AM

It's taking so much effort on my part not to turn this into a debate on intelligent design. Not the belief itself so much but the whole thing about it being taught in science class.

Placebo14
06-01-2006, 08:42 AM
Yep, Im an atheist and I absolutely hate religion.

I think the world would be a far better place without religion.

Placebo14
06-01-2006, 08:47 AM
I can tell you all, without a speck of doubt in my mind, that God exists.

Before you ask, I learned this in a mirror, not a bible.

You can say that, but you still have absolutely no proof that a god exists.

Italia311
06-01-2006, 10:24 AM
zz000000000000mmmmmmmmmmm....

Yup. That one went right over his head...

ninthlayer
06-01-2006, 10:26 AM

KEWL2H8! u no?

endlesst0m
06-01-2006, 10:39 AM

Hahaha. Exactly. Same thing with TheGodess or whatever. She's just ALWAYS saying something bitchy. One of the only members I'll just come out of nowhere to diss.

Out of all the fuckers on this board, I seriously can't stand TheGodess or Ninthlayer.

endlesst0m
06-01-2006, 10:58 AM
I think I've found a way to simplify the question that I always wonder, since it's kind of abstract. Well here it goes... a lot of people I ask say God created the universe because he WANTED to know his love for his people...well to even WANT something, he would have to create feelings. Why would he create the feeling of WANTING something, just so that it needed to be forefilled?

You know wha I'm saying there?

JohnnyNemesis
06-01-2006, 11:07 AM
KEWL2H8! u no?

That shit will never get old as long as people are this fucking stupid.

Sunny
06-01-2006, 11:12 AM

i absolutely cannot stand ignorant fucking morons such as yourself.

kewl2h8, indeed. born2dy?12!@?!

T-6005
06-01-2006, 11:16 AM
I basically have Richard's beliefs.

Well, that was easy.

JohnnyNemesis
06-01-2006, 11:25 AM
kewl2h8, born2dy, livfassdyyung :cool: :cool:

Religion has led to horrible things in the past, but it has also led to some--

Oh fuck, why the hell am I even trying?

Sunny
06-01-2006, 11:35 AM
you forgot trupunxnevady :(

JohnnyNemesis
06-01-2006, 11:36 AM
\m/ theynevado! \m/

T-6005
06-01-2006, 11:41 AM
wtf m8 dis treds fubard.

Paint_It_Black
06-01-2006, 11:53 AM
It's taking so much effort on my part not to turn this into a debate on intelligent design. Not the belief itself so much but the whole thing about it being taught in science class.

I'd be interested to hear what you have to say. If you don't want to do it here, you could start a thread for it.

I don't see what there is to teach about intelligent design really. Just say "some people think that the complexity of life suggests a design rather than random evolution". You could also briefly explain that this could go hand-in-hand with evolution, and also many religious creation beliefs. That's about all you'd need for a Science class.

I basically have Richard's beliefs.

Belief is maybe not the best word here, considering I tried hard to stress that "belief" doesn't come into it for me. I know what you mean though, of course.

killer_queen
06-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Fuck, no. I believe in God and I don't know what would I do if I had no belief. But I generally can't get on well with the other believers.

0r4ng3
06-01-2006, 01:58 PM
ur all so rite. ;) :confused: :o

Damn, just a couple of posts late.

Vera
06-01-2006, 02:58 PM
From what I understand, ID isn't really a very credible theory. Well, it could be formed into such but not when it's mostly Christian loonies behind the theory.

I wish I had religion but you don't go to that mountain, the mountain comes to you. Sometimes I think there is a God but I don't believe in him/it, really. If there is a superior being, they don't want me to believe, I can only conclude.

endlesst0m
06-01-2006, 03:38 PM
I don't understand the point of Deism. If God just "abandoned" the universe after he created it, then God is no different from the tiny atoms and molecules that began to make up the universe. What's the point of a God that has no connection to life other then creating it?

Basically what I'm getting at, is that I feel that either you believe that God is "good", or you might as well not believe at all.

And according to most religions God "wants" you to be "good". But God would have had to create this "good" that he "wants", and also create the very idea of "wanting" something. So he pointlessly created two feelings just so they could be forefilled?

Placebo14
06-02-2006, 02:41 AM
i absolutely cannot stand ignorant fucking morons such as yourself.

kewl2h8, indeed. born2dy?12!@?!

Actually Im not ingnorant you moron.

I go to a Catholic school and its made me hate Christianity/Catholicism/all religion even more.
Its made me see what a load of hypocritical bullshit it is.

So dont call me ignorant you moron.

ninthlayer
06-02-2006, 02:52 AM
KEWL2h8!!@!

Sunny
06-02-2006, 04:41 AM
Actually Im not ingnorant you moron.

I go to a Catholic school and its made me hate Christianity/Catholicism/all religion even more.
Its made me see what a load of hypocritical bullshit it is.

So dont call me ignorant you moron.

well, i wouldn't call you ignorant if 1) you had a fucking clue and 2) you knew how to spell it. "ingnorant"? right.

have you studied other religions? like, in depth? i mean, you surely must posess superior knowledge on the subject, if you claim the world would be better off without all the different religions.
what gives you the right to say that the world would be far better without religion? have you considered the tremendous role religion has played in the development of many cultures? how can you predict what the world would be like?

thirdly, what exactly is wrong with christianity? i have my own opinion on the subject, but would love to hear yours, and if it makes any sense, i'll retract my "ignorant moron" statement.

cause right now, to me, you sound like a little bitter Catholic school rebel. Which is hardly a respectable thing to be.

Placebo14
06-02-2006, 05:06 AM
thirdly, what exactly is wrong with christianity? i have my own opinion on the subject, but would love to hear yours, and if it makes any sense, i'll retract my "ignorant moron" statement.

cause right now, to me, you sound like a little bitter Catholic school rebel. Which is hardly a respectable thing to be.

The top 3 things wrong with Christianity:

1.Its very hypocritical.
2.They think its alright too say all other religions are wrong when their religion is one of the most far-fetched religions and there is absolutely no proof of their religion being right.
3.And for me personally, I disagree with most of all of Christianity's teachings.

Ill post other reasons later, cause I cant be bothered right now.
And I do know how to spell ignorant, previous spelling was an accident.

And I think being a catholic School rebel is far more respectable then being a catholic preacher.

Sunny
06-02-2006, 05:14 AM
1. How is it hypocritical exactly?
2. True, but "one of the most far-fetched"? not sure about that.
3. Which ones specifically?

PS. I love how every time I argue with atheists they imply that i'm Catholic.

Placebo14
06-02-2006, 05:27 AM
1. How is it hypocritical exactly?
2. True, but "one of the most far-fetched"? not sure about that.
3. Which ones specifically?

PS. I love how every time I argue with atheists they imply that i'm Catholic.

I never implied that you were a catholic, I was just saying I'd rather rebel against the religion then preach about the crap.

I'll answer your other questions tomorrow or maybe later tonight cause I got a shitload of homework to do right now.

Vera
06-02-2006, 05:28 AM
Catholicism is just one branch of Christianity. It's the oldest branch but certainly not the only one and the view of Christianity you receive in a Catholic school is probably one of the most conservative views out there.

I really oppose to the view that a religion is wrong if it isn't right. How can a religion be right? It's a complex system of mythology, philosophy and ethics. I'm not a Christian but I think there are certain values I have that certainly come from the teachings of Christ - whether I like it or not, the culture around me and me along with it is influenced by Christian thought and religion.

nieh
06-02-2006, 05:37 AM
I don't see what there is to teach about intelligent design really. Just say "some people think that the complexity of life suggests a design rather than random evolution". You could also briefly explain that this could go hand-in-hand with evolution, and also many religious creation beliefs. That's about all you'd need for a Science class.

I have no problem with it being discussed in class. If conversation goes a certain way the teachers should be willing to go along. If the kids are curious then you should be wililng to discuss it with them, that's how they learn. However, making it part of the requirement and telling the teachers they need to give equal time to evolution and intelligent design is stupid. It should not be required to teach intelligent design because telling people "some supernatural thing that we can't see, feel, hear, taste, smell or measure in anyway could be responsible for this and we don't have evidence, only faith" is not science. Intelligent design CAN be the cause of evolution. I personally don't think so but I can see how people would believe that (moreso than most other ideas based on faith). When it comes to evolution the cause is basically Natural Selection vs. Intelligent Design and even though natural selection is something that normally takes a number of generations to occur, there is still evidence that it exists today and it can still be tested on creatures with short life spans. There's no evidence to say intelligent design is real because quite simply if it is it's beyond our realm of understanding and we can't do anything to test it. It shouldn't be a requirement to teach it in science class because there's no scientific way to talk about it, but like I said, they shouldn't refuse to talk about it if the conversation goes that way.

I don't understand the point of Deism. If God just "abandoned" the universe after he created it, then God is no different from the tiny atoms and molecules that began to make up the universe. What's the point of a God that has no connection to life other then creating it?

Basically what I'm getting at, is that I feel that either you believe that God is "good", or you might as well not believe at all.

Maybe our universe was God's 3rd grade science project and he moved on to bigger and better things afterwards. Maybe he wanted to see how things roll out. Maybe he was curious and didn't want to interfere with what would happen. Maybe God DID exist and has since 'died'. God didn't create the feeling of want and "being good", evolution and modern society did.

So first you criticize religion and say god doesn't actually exist because if he was good, thent hings wouldn't be the way they are...then you say "well if he's not good, then why should i bother believing in him?" That's just craziness.

Sin Studly
06-02-2006, 08:04 AM
And I think being a catholic School rebel is far more respectable then being a catholic preacher.

Sure, if the people you're trying to get respect from are all thirteen.

Placebo14
06-02-2006, 06:43 PM
Sure, if the people you're trying to get respect from are all thirteen.

Im not trying to get respect from them.
Im just saying that its more respectable.

Llamas
06-02-2006, 11:11 PM
The top 3 things wrong with Christianity:

1.Its very hypocritical.
2.They think its alright too say all other religions are wrong when their religion is one of the most far-fetched religions and there is absolutely no proof of their religion being right.
3.And for me personally, I disagree with most of all of Christianity's teachings.

Ill post other reasons later, cause I cant be bothered right now.
And I do know how to spell ignorant, previous spelling was an accident.

you're basing your opinion on christianity on some very dumb standards. I'm not christian, but there are a lot of different sects of christianity that believe many different things. you can't categorize all of christianity together. There are sects that are NOT hypocritical. Most sects of christianity don't go around claiming all other religions are wrong... plus, if you believe ANY religion, you probably think the others are wrong, otherwise you wouldn't believe it. Being atheist is the exact same situation- you're sahying that ALL religions are wrong. Disagreeing with the teachings is fine. I obviously don't agree with many of the general ideals of christianity, so I'm not a christian. But it's SO ignorant to insult christianity as a whole... the only things all christianity has in common is God, Jesus, and the 10 commandments. The rest depends on what sect you're in.

Paint_It_Black
06-02-2006, 11:22 PM
Most sects of christianity don't go around claiming all other religions are wrong...

But some can be very petty. Never understimate how anal sects can be. You'll just end up hurt and disappointed.

wheelchairman
06-02-2006, 11:42 PM
hahah awesome ^

TheUnholyNightbringer
06-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Oh man, I wish there was some way to sig that without taking it out of context.

Llamas
06-03-2006, 01:20 AM
...I.... don't get it...

;)

Paint_It_Black
06-03-2006, 02:20 AM

Sig what I quoted with it?

I'm not in anywhere near enough signatures anymore.

Sin Studly
06-03-2006, 03:31 AM
Im not trying to get respect from them.
Im just saying that its more respectable.

It isn't. You're an idiot.

Placebo14
06-03-2006, 06:49 AM
It isn't. You're an idiot.

Im not an idiot.

Atleast I dont believe in crap thats never been proven and a book thats full of fictional crap and has been translated many times.

Atleast I believe in realistic things unlike idiots like you.

That_Guy91
06-03-2006, 06:50 AM
Placebo, shut the hell up. Really.

nieh
06-03-2006, 08:07 AM
Im not an idiot.

Atleast I dont believe in crap thats never been proven and a book thats full of fictional crap and has been translated many times.

WHat do you believe in? You know some of the scientific theories about where the universe came from are even more out there than saying god shat it out and we're living on big pile of his feces.

the_GoDdEsS
06-03-2006, 08:08 AM
Whoa, fasten your seatbelts, we're reaching a new level of retard.

Camilamazed
06-03-2006, 08:21 AM
There must be a God!

0r4ng3
06-03-2006, 11:58 AM
It'll be tough to do, but I'm up to that challenge.

Placebo14
06-03-2006, 06:22 PM
Placebo, shut the hell up. Really.

No, I don't have to.
I'm going to keep posting my opinions wether you like it or not.

That_Guy91
06-03-2006, 06:36 PM
Go ahead, but it's pretty pointless. All you're doing is making yourself look dumber. But you're most likely gonna keep posting just to spite me, right?

endlesst0m
06-03-2006, 07:38 PM
Whoa, fasten your seatbelts, we're reaching a new level of retard.

Whoa, fasten your seatbelts, we're reaching a new level of miserable bitch.

Sin Studly
06-03-2006, 11:20 PM

Like what? I believe I'm too small and unworthy to ever know the big truths. I believe every human being is too small and unworthy to ever know them. I believe that we'll have to wait till we die, and even then we might not find out.

You, on the other hand ; believe it's less respectable to be an educator who believes in Christianity than some hardkore rebel from a private catholic school, who bucks the system by dying your hair and sneaking out of the house at 2am to throw a bunch of newspapers into the middle of the road.

You're a self-righteous bigoted fuck. And an idiot.

the_GoDdEsS
06-03-2006, 11:47 PM
Whoa, fasten your seatbelts, we're reaching a new level of miserable bitch.

And what was your point?

Sin Studly
06-04-2006, 12:12 AM
simonaisMYmiserablebitch.

Mota Boy
06-04-2006, 01:24 AM
Placebo, with time you should be embarassed that you ever held those opinions. Right now, having Catholicism shoved down your throat on a daily basis, you don't see yourself as having a choice between blind acceptance of it and utter rejection. Hopefully, with time and maturity, you'll come to realize that there are far more than two options and that militant atheism is just as annoying as militant relgiosity to the vast majority of humanity that find themselves somewhere between the two poles.

Llamas
06-04-2006, 03:58 AM
WHat do you believe in? You know some of the scientific theories about where the universe came from are even more out there than saying god shat it out and we're living on big pile of his feces.

actually, the scientific theory of evolution is VERY logical. I don't necessarily believe it 100%, but it makes so much sense. It's impossible to argue that it's not logical, I think.

Endymion
06-04-2006, 04:06 AM
no one said anything about evolution. nieh was speaking of the origin of the UNIVERSE. meaning such matters as "what caused the big bang?" "why do constants a, b and c have the values they do?" or the like.

Llamas
06-04-2006, 04:10 AM
sorry, the origin of the universe does actually have to do with evolution... my use of the word evolution was a bit confusing, but I did mean it as in "the evolution of the universe".

Sin Studly
06-04-2006, 04:24 AM
sorry, the origin of the universe does actually have to do with evolution...

Sorry, but you're wrong, and you're an idiot.

Sunny
06-04-2006, 05:09 AM
Placebo, with time you should be embarassed that you ever held those opinions. Right now, having Catholicism shoved down your throat on a daily basis, you don't see yourself as having a choice between blind acceptance of it and utter rejection. Hopefully, with time and maturity, you'll come to realize that there are far more than two options and that militant atheism is just as annoying as militant relgiosity to the vast majority of humanity that find themselves somewhere between the two poles.

sects plz?

Vera
06-04-2006, 05:14 AM
Evolution is the evolution of life. From single-celled organisms to complex creatures. Stars are not alive, and the origin of the universe as a whole has fuck all to do with evolution, sorry.

wheelchairman
06-04-2006, 05:19 AM
Vera everything is connected. If it weren't for the sun we wouldn't exist, I mean the actual physical material of the sun.

Llamas
06-04-2006, 05:33 AM
Evolution is the evolution of life. From single-celled organisms to complex creatures. Stars are not alive, and the origin of the universe as a whole has fuck all to do with evolution, sorry.

Actually, evolution has several definitions, one of which is a process in which the whole universe is a progression of interrelated phenomena. Sure, one of the definitions has to do with life, but the word has multiple meanings. I took a class in evolution, as evolution used to be my major (actually, I was in Ecology, Evolution, and Behavior), and we spent a great deal of time in my evolution classes talking about the evolution and development of the universe, including the big bang theory and the evolution of life.

Llamas
06-04-2006, 05:34 AM
Sorry, but you're wrong, and you're an idiot.

Actually, I'm right, and you're the idiot.

Vera
06-04-2006, 05:36 AM
Er, yes of course, Per.. Life doesn't exist without certain non-living things. Duhh.

Evolution has many meanings, yes, but if I understood we were talking the theory of Darwin that later expanded as the evolution of life. The origin of the universe is "evolution" but it's not really what we normally understand as evolution, it's got more to do with Physics than Biology.

HeadAroundU
06-04-2006, 05:37 AM
So, reading of the thread is done. All I can say is that I believe in Santa Claus and that's enough for me.

Llamas
06-04-2006, 05:54 AM
Er, yes of course, Per.. Life doesn't exist without certain non-living things. Duhh.

Evolution has many meanings, yes, but if I understood we were talking the theory of Darwin that later expanded as the evolution of life. The origin of the universe is "evolution" but it's not really what we normally understand as evolution, it's got more to do with Physics than Biology.

well actually the one guy was talking about the origin of the universe... I used the word "evolution" without explaining that I was, infact, referring to the universe/big bang stuff... and he took it that I meant evolution of life. Basically, everyone misunderstood what I was saying, and my point was that the "evolution of the universe" and things like the big bang theory and such are very plausable and close to impossible to argue the likeliness of, whether or not you agree with the theories.

Oh, and... "Santa isn't real. I *know*. I'm JEWISH."

...Aqua Teen Hunger Force, anyone?

Sin Studly
06-04-2006, 05:55 AM
the "evolution of the universe" and things like the big bang theory and such are very plausable

Explain why they're any more plausable than what the Bible says.

Llamas
06-04-2006, 05:57 AM
Whoa, I never said they were more plausable than anything else. I actually *personally* believe that creationism and evolution are the same thing... creationism is just the way the bible explains evolution. However that's just what I think, and I believe that many ideas are very plausable, especially because nobody has any solid proof.

Sunny
06-04-2006, 06:05 AM
at the risk of having my ass handed to me.. the big bang theory never quite made sense to me.

anyone wanna explain?

Placebo14
06-04-2006, 06:09 AM
Like what? I believe I'm too small and unworthy to ever know the big truths. I believe every human being is too small and unworthy to ever know them. I believe that we'll have to wait till we die, and even then we might not find out.

You, on the other hand ; believe it's less respectable to be an educator who believes in Christianity than some hardkore rebel from a private catholic school, who bucks the system by dying your hair and sneaking out of the house at 2am to throw a bunch of newspapers into the middle of the road.

You're a self-righteous bigoted fuck. And an idiot.

Actually Im non of those things you stupid ignorant shit.

Look, you just keep believing in your sad, pathetic, hypocritical, bullshit religion and Ill just believe what I believe.

And Don't think I just picking on Christianity.
I hate religion as a whole and the whole idea of it just pisses me off.
I'm mainly picking on Christianity because it's my least favourite religion.

Sunny
06-04-2006, 06:13 AM

Look, you just keep believing in your sad, pathetic, hypocritical, bullshit religion and Ill just believe what I believe.

And Don't think I'm just picking on Christianity.

Just because he called you an idiot doesn't mean he is religious himself.

In addition, what is so annoying about the idea of religion? what about it "pisses you off" so bad?

nieh
06-04-2006, 08:22 AM
at the risk of having my ass handed to me.. the big bang theory never quite made sense to me.

anyone wanna explain?

Basically the big bang theory is that every piece of matter in the universe now was at one time part of a really small, super-condensed speck. The reason this can work is because matter as it is now is almost made up entirely of empty space. Space between molcules, space between the protons, neutrons and electrons that make up the atoms and space between the even smaller particles that make up the protons, neutrons and electrons. Something for some reason or another caused this speck to explode, sending things outwards. As time progressed over millions/billions of years, the dust started forming particles which started forming atoms which started forming molecules which started swirling around and getting more dense and eventually ended up forming planets, stars, solar systems, comets, and some stuff that never quite took shape (nebluas). Anyways, the idea is similar to sticking your finger in water in the tub and quickly moving it across. The trail your finger went along is going to have a lot of places where it's swirling around and away from where your finger was in most cases (it's going to be more visable if there's soapy stuff on top). Then they start to lose energy and eventually stop swirling. It's like that on a much larger scale over a much longer period of time with all sorts of elements in the mix rather than just water so things can actually react with each other. The big bang also accounts for the expansion of the universe that's still going on today.

The question this poses though is: what put the speck there? If the rules of science are that things can't be created or destroyed, only changed into other forms, it had to originally come from somewhere. I've heard a lot of ideas about where things originated and as I said, beleiving in god is more logical than some of these possibilities. My favorite is the idea that two 3d cross-sections collided with each other in the fifth dimension and shat us out. I can't even begin to comprehend how that might work

Sin Studly
06-04-2006, 10:36 AM

Okay, I'm a stupid ignorant shit.

Holy fuck. How dumb are you. You're replying directly to a post in which I say I'M NOT RELIGIOUS AT FUCKING ALL. What the hell is wrong with your brain, you idiot?

And Don't think I just picking on Christianity.
I'm mainly picking on Christianity because it's my least favourite religion.

You're an idiot.

Sin Studly
06-04-2006, 10:38 AM
I can try... it's rather complex, and I'm no scientist (hence why I'm no longer studying ecology evolution and behavior, and am now studying german ;) ) but I understand it and can try to explain the theory.

Basically, the theory is based on the idea that there were a bunch of atoms floating around- atoms of many different elements (some astronomers that have been able to date certain stars have theories as to what some of the first elements were- stars are considered to be older than planets on a general scale, from most perspectives), and there are no theories yet (that I know of) as to where those atoms came from. Those atoms, over millions and millions of years, made attempts at bonding with other atoms. Millions and millions of failures finally will result in one success... so over all these years, these atoms evolved to "realize" what elements they could bind with and how... so these bonds became more frequent. Eventually, the bonds formed objects. Nobody really knows what these objects were made of (though there are theories), or what they looked like, or exactly how big they were. However, due to all these trial and error bonds, sooner or later, you're going to end up with a major error where there are negative results- something like a major reaction between two objects like dumping sodium in a lake. That's when these masses exploded due to major explosions of supposedly big materials. Then what happened was that these chunks of material started floating around, and the biggest ones attracted material that was floating around due to gravitational forces. Due to the spinning through space, planets formed. Then obviously smaller masses would get close to big ones, and if the pull was right, instead of getting sucked in to become a part of the planet, they'd start orbiting and become moons- this was through millions of years of trial and error, as well. At the same time, all these gases were floating around as results of the explosions, too (obviously energy had to be given off), and these gases bonded and mixed and formed stars, whose gravitational force sucked in a lot of the floating material... but also through millions of years of trial and error, got some pulled in just right to begin an orbit. That's how a galaxy is formed. The asteroid belt in the milky way is supposedly a result of a bunch of this left over material that was too small to have the right gravitational effect to be sucked into mars or jupiter, and due to the equal pull of both planets' gravity, they are stuck in the middle. Er... yeah that's hard to explain, I guess.

Knowing that there are in fact other galaxies out there makes it hard to believe the creation theory literally to me.

Anyway, that's the best I could do right now on explaining the big bang theory. I tried to keep it as non-scientific as possible and tried to make it not boring... I hope I didn't fail too badly, and I hope that helped atleast somewhat! Let me know if I can clarify anything better.

Wow, that's not it at all.

Endymion
06-04-2006, 11:06 AM
ok, you're both wrong with the big bang (it's vastly more complicated in it's modern form), but nieh at least had a bang in his. what the fuck, llama? it's call the big bang and you start with a diffuse atomic soup? where's the bang? what you desribed is a very, very crude (and with plenty of errors) from of galactic formation.

you also seem confused about the definition of evolution. when asked about the ORIGINS of the universe, one an not call upon evolution. sure, the process of going from QGP -> atoms -> molecules -> galaxies etc etc can be called evolution (though with some sort of minimal-energy formation taking the place of environmental fitness), but what we're talking about is where everything came from. try, please try, to understand the word "origin".

also, the theory that the matter in our universe originated from its collision with another semi-comparible universe on an higher-order brane is called the ekpyrotic theory. it's basically a big bang theory that fits with string theory.

Endymion
06-04-2006, 12:29 PM
i'm sorry, i mixed up what nieh and retard said somewhat--retard had NOTHING correct. i thought the spiral galaxy stuff and ekpyrotic (latter half of nieh's) was posted by him.

llama is just an idiot. you know nothing of chemistry. bonds only form if they're energenically favorable. it's basic physics. there's no evolution of atoms knowing what they like to bond with.

to be kind, i think you should do a cobain and blow your head off before you bring the world any more misery.

and since i haven't stated it before in this thread: i'm an atheist and a physicist.

Llamas
06-04-2006, 01:35 PM
what?? "what the fuck, llama? it's call the big bang and you start with a diffuse atomic soup? where's the bang?"

Explosion of matter! And yes, I did explain it wrong. I said right from the beginning that I was going to have a hard time explaining it, it being 8am and me not having slept for 24 hours and being sick. I did make it sound like a bunch of explosions over time... I'm sorry for that, that was not what I meant.

And as far as my definition of evolution is concerned, no, I'm not confused. I know perfectly well what evolution means- hell, I was fucking MAJORING in it.

*edit* yeah I just read my post and I actually don't know what I was talking about... I think I need to not let myself post when I'm feeling like shit and can't think straight, haha. I'm going to remove the post, just because it's so illogical. Maybe I'll explain it again sometime when I'm thinking clearly.

Endymion
06-04-2006, 02:04 PM
you obviously don't. let's take things step by step:

Basically, the theory is based on the idea that there were a bunch of atoms floating around- atoms of many different elements
no, atom's didn't form until about 300,000 years after the big bang. immediately following the big bang was a quark-gluon plasma, and once things cooled down various subatomic particles formed (baryons, mesons, etc). those eventually (again, 300,000 years) cooled down to form (mostly) hydrogen.

(some astronomers that have been able to date certain stars have theories as to what some of the first elements were- stars are considered to be older than planets on a general scale, from most perspectives)
many of the stars we can see are second and third generation. any with planets are surely at least second. anything beyond the most basic elements needed to be formed in stars exploding, so any solar systems with planets are at least second generation. planets form AFTER stars in their respective solar system as well.

and there are no theories yet (that I know of) as to where those atoms came from.
um, try the big bang theory?

Those atoms, over millions and millions of years, made attempts at bonding with other atoms.
first off, molecular bonding has nothing to do with attemps, it's an energenically favorable system. one of the most fundamental laws of physics is that systems tend toward a ground state, a state with the least intrinsic energy. if energy will be released by two atoms bonding, then they will. there's no attempting in it.

Millions and millions of failures finally will result in one success... so over all these years, these atoms evolved to "realize" what elements they could bind with and how... so these bonds became more frequent.
again, learn what bonding is. there's no evolution of what bonds with what. and please, mr. evolution, tell me how a static object can evolve.

Eventually, the bonds formed objects. Nobody really knows what these objects were made of (though there are theories), or what they looked like, or exactly how big they were.
objects? you mean like molecules? or clusters of molecules? i do think we know what those look like.

However, due to all these trial and error bonds, sooner or later, you're going to end up with a major error where there are negative results- something like a major reaction between two objects like dumping sodium in a lake.
again, no trial and error.

That's when these masses exploded due to major explosions of supposedly big materials.
this part is just stupid.

Then what happened was that these chunks of material started floating around, and the biggest ones attracted material that was floating around due to gravitational forces. Due to the spinning through space, planets formed. Then obviously smaller masses would get close to big ones, and if the pull was right, instead of getting sucked in to become a part of the planet, they'd start orbiting and become moons- this was through millions of years of trial and error, as well. At the same time, all these gases were floating around as results of the explosions, too (obviously energy had to be given off), and these gases bonded and mixed and formed stars, whose gravitational force sucked in a lot of the floating material... but also through millions of years of trial and error, got some pulled in just right to begin an orbit. That's how a galaxy is formed. The asteroid belt in the milky way is supposedly a result of a bunch of this left over material that was too small to have the right gravitational effect to be sucked into mars or jupiter, and due to the equal pull of both planets' gravity, they are stuck in the middle. Er... yeah that's hard to explain, I guess.
again, this is the crude, error-pitted part which is some sort of crazy mixup of galactic and solar system formation.

Jakebert
06-04-2006, 02:06 PM
So your posts are stupid when you don't feel good? You must have a terminal illness.

Llamas
06-04-2006, 02:15 PM
Alright, *double post*, sorry. I'm trying to clear things up here. What I described like a moron was more or less a theory as to what happened *after* the big bang theory, with atoms forming and forming bonds and all that... I got out my old evolution book and I am going to atone for my mistakes here. My book is a couple years old, so do understand some of the info my be outdated.

First of all, it's believed that the universe came about something like 13.7 billion years ago. That's when it came into singularity, a state which our laws of physics don't understand, like black holes... Our universe is thought to have begun as an infinitesimally small, infinitely hot, infinitely dense, something - a singularity. At some point after it showed up, it supposedly inflated (the big bang), expanded, and then cooled. It's never truly stopped expanding to this day, and that's how scientists explain the continuous expansion.

As far as that "explosion" is concerned, that's a misconception. Experts say that there was no explosion, just an expansion.

Some proof for the theory:
We know that there appears to have been a distinct beginning to the universe, and it hasn't just existed forever.
galaxies have been seen to be moving away from our galaxy at great speeds, which supports the expansion theory.
the abundance of the "light elements" Hydrogen and Helium found in the universe are thought to support the Big Bang model of origins-according to the theory, the universe should consist of about 1/4 helium-4, which stellar observation currently agrees with.

About 100,000 years after the initial expansion, the temperature of the Universe had dropped enough for electrons and protons to combine into hydrogen atoms, p + e --> H. (that's the part I'd explained in my earlier post, cause then the H molecules formed other molecules and formed other elements.)

Alright, that's coming from a text... and that truly is my understanding of the big bang theory, on a surface level. I realize there's a lot more chemistry and physics that go into it, but that's not going to help anyone who doesn't understand chemistry and physics. I apologize again for my earlier post. :)

Llamas
06-04-2006, 02:22 PM
okay now it's a double post... I hit the "reply" button and left my computer for a while, so I didn't know you'd posted, Endymion.

And I jsut read your post. Maybe in the future, when someone explains something wrong, you could explain it correctly instead of acting like an asshole about it. Due to the fact that Sunny did actually ask about the big bang theory, you acting like a douche didn't help her question. You could have just explained it yourself, and said that what I wrote was way off. That would've atleast been an attempt at being beneficial.

Endymion
06-04-2006, 02:24 PM
you realize what you just said, though crude and almost at a baby-talk level, is absolutely nothing like what you said earlier, right?

and i didn't bother to do my own song and dance about the big bang because what nieh said was good enough for sunny's understanding of it.

Sunny
06-04-2006, 02:26 PM
i think endy just implied that i have uh.. limited intellectual capacity.

oh woes!

Endymion
06-04-2006, 02:30 PM
i think endy just implied that i have uh.. limited intellectual capacity.

oh woes!
no, just that nieh's overview was good enough for the non-scientist.

Llamas
06-04-2006, 02:31 PM
you realize what you just said, though crude and almost at a baby-talk level, is absolutely nothing like what you said earlier, right?

and i didn't bother to do my own song and dance about the big bang because what nieh said was good enough for sunny's understanding of it.

uhh yes I realize it was totally different. why do you think I said that what I'd typed before made no sense and I don't know what I was thinking, so I deleted it? It's called sleep medication, and it makes you pretty fucking loopy. And I also said that what I'd just said was very dumbed down because most people don't care about the physics and chemistry involved with it. Good god. And there were also a ton of errors that you brought up about neih's post, so why is something full of errors good enough for someone's understanding?

Paint_It_Black
06-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Maybe in the future, when someone explains something wrong, you could explain it correctly instead of acting like an asshole about it.

It did seem a bit harsh. Or, to put it another way, I've been posting here for years and never seen him react like that before. But to be fair, your terrible initial explanation was probably something akin to blasphemy for Endymion.

Rag Doll
06-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Endy makes me hot when he gets all angry like that and totally pwns someone.

Not that I really understood much of what he said, but still. mmm.

HeadAroundU
06-04-2006, 07:34 PM
lolololol :D

Placebo14
06-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Okay, I'm a stupid ignorant shit.

Holy fuck. How dumb are you. You're replying directly to a post in which I say I'M NOT RELIGIOUS AT FUCKING ALL. What the hell is wrong with your brain, you idiot?

You're an idiot.

O.K, I apologise for that. That was my mistake.

Sorry

endlesst0m
06-04-2006, 09:58 PM

Sorry

Dude man, the people here are fucking uptight scientists or something...you gotta know what your talking about or they'll be like..."hey...your neglecting some obscure fact that few people know about, your hypothesis is hypocritical in its nature" or something like that man, ,you gotta watch out at this fucking web board....this fuckers are not like any humans you'll meet man. the offspring board is fucking ridiculous man theres no regular people her, just these fucking brianiacs that try to kill you for saying what you think, but you might be wrong, and they know all this shit about science and stuff man, its crazy how this board works. GAYY IS FAT...good luck placebo.

Llamas
06-04-2006, 10:05 PM
It did seem a bit harsh. Or, to put it another way, I've been posting here for years and never seen him react like that before. But to be fair, your terrible initial explanation was probably something akin to blasphemy for Endymion.

well now I'm seeking redemption. I fucked up bad, so forgive me!! :P

Rag Doll
06-04-2006, 10:06 PM
Dude man, the people here are fucking uptight scientists or something...you gotta know what your talking about or they'll be like..."hey...your neglecting some obscure fact that few people know about, your hypothesis is hypocritical in its nature" or something like that man, ,you gotta watch out at this fucking web board....this fuckers are not like any humans you'll meet man. the offspring board is fucking ridiculous man theres no regular people her, just these fucking brianiacs that try to kill you for saying what you think, but you might be wrong, and they know all this shit about science and stuff man, its crazy how this board works. GAYY IS FAT...good luck placebo.

omg.

i am so sad we share a state.

As for the original topic...I just can't bring myself to believe in any type of god or what have you. I was raised roman catholic...but it never ever felt right to me, even when I was a little kid. So, yeah, I'd say I'm an atheist. Not a crazy one though. My best friend is the most religious person I know, and I never get all preachy with her and whatnot. Just tease her cause she has to get up early on Sundays ;p.

HeadAroundU
06-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Sounds like revolution!

Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!

Llamas
06-04-2006, 10:20 PM

why are you sticking up for placebo? He was acting like an uneducated, presumptuous idiot. "I hate all religion! christianity is horrible! the world would be better without religion!" He wasn't giving opinions that have a couple uncommon flaws... he was pigeonholing and discriminating. That's not okay, and he needed to be put in line.

HeadAroundU
06-04-2006, 10:23 PM
lolololol :D
You should be quiet today, llama.

Llamas
06-04-2006, 10:27 PM
hmm? *is confused*

HeadAroundU
06-04-2006, 10:48 PM
I believe!
I feel for you, now. :(

You made baby Endymion cry! I have never seen him so angry before. :D

There is a bunch of people called 1337 and they are not very nice to newbies. You are like a newbie because you are not often at general chat. You need a time to figure out how it works here.

Llamas
06-04-2006, 10:54 PM
so... you no longer hate me with a fiery passion? I don't know what to make of this you being seemingly nice to me... *is now scared*. :p

but yeah, it's easy to get along on the GOD cause everyone there's a moron and they post useless shit that's annoying as hell. I probably have had some of that shit rub off on me, which is disgusting.

HeadAroundU
06-04-2006, 11:06 PM
Nooooo, I don't hate you. Let's say I played it and read my biography at public profile. ;)

Llamas
06-04-2006, 11:09 PM
so you were just pretending to hate me?? wtf?? I actually had read your profile, and noticed it says you're peaceful... and that confused me, haha.

Jebus
06-04-2006, 11:11 PM
HAU's constant use of the term "1337" really creeps me out and not just in this thread. Then again, everything he says creeps me out.

Sin Studly
06-04-2006, 11:17 PM

Sorry

Now apologise for existing.

nieh
06-04-2006, 11:54 PM
ok, you're both wrong with the big bang (it's vastly more complicated in it's modern form), but nieh at least had a bang in his. what the fuck, llama? it's call the big bang and you start with a diffuse atomic soup? where's the bang? what you desribed is a very, very crude (and with plenty of errors) from of galactic formation.

How's the idea behind it go now? Or would wikipedia be able to explain it to me? I'm off to bed now so I'll have to check it tomorrow sometime.

Endymion
06-05-2006, 01:29 AM
wiki for something along the lines of lambda-cds or something. i don't remember the letters exactly. or just big bang, it'll probably be linked from there.

Placebo14
06-05-2006, 02:33 AM
why are you sticking up for placebo? He was acting like an uneducated, presumptuous idiot. "I hate all religion! christianity is horrible! the world would be better without religion!" He wasn't giving opinions that have a couple uncommon flaws... he was pigeonholing and discriminating. That's not okay, and he needed to be put in line.

Oh, alright, Im the uneducated one.
I actually know a fair bit about religion d!ckhead.
I haven't made that clear on this forum but I do.
You don't know what I know so shut the hell up.

Sin Studly
06-05-2006, 02:43 AM

You still haven't apologised for existing, you worthless mollusc.

Llamas
06-05-2006, 04:05 AM

I don't care how much you know about religion. Unless you have dedicated your entire life to studying every single religion, and you know about all of them, you don't have the right judge them ALL and say the world would be better off without any religion. That's like saying "I know a LOT of black people. I know more of them than you know. All the black people I met I don't like, so the world would be better off without black people."

In many ways, too, atheism is a religion. One of the definitions of religion is a cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion. That makes atheism a religion.

I guess that's suiting, because we'd be better off without you.

JoY
06-05-2006, 04:18 AM
atheism is most definitely a religion in the sense that atheists believe there's no such thing as a God, when there's as much proof for that as there's proof for the existence of a God.

Llamas
06-05-2006, 04:23 AM
precisely. So he's proven to us that he doesn't know as much about religion as he claims, and that he's a hypocrite. :)

Placebo14
06-05-2006, 07:04 AM
I don't care how much you know about religion. Unless you have dedicated your entire life to studying every single religion, and you know about all of them, you don't have the right judge them ALL and say the world would be better off without any religion. That's like saying "I know a LOT of black people. I know more of them than you know. All the black people I met I don't like, so the world would be better off without black people."

In many ways, too, atheism is a religion. One of the definitions of religion is a cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion. That makes atheism a religion.

I guess that's suiting, because we'd be better off without you.

O.K fair enough.

Let me rephrase what I said earlier.

I think the world would be a better place without some religions.

And Atheism is Not a religion you idiots.
Shows how much you know.

Placebo14
06-05-2006, 07:06 AM
You still haven't apologised for existing, you worthless mollusc.

You're an idiot.
You can't just accept a simple apology.
Your an absolute dickhead.

Prahv, Spires of Order
06-05-2006, 07:22 AM
You're an idiot.

Hmmmm....... Now how old are you again?

Sin Studly
06-05-2006, 07:46 AM
You're an idiot.

I accepted your apology for being an ignorant fuck. Now apologise for existing, and I'll accept that one too.

JoY
06-05-2006, 08:22 AM
atheism is most definitely a religion in the sense that atheists believe there's no such thing as a God, when there's as much proof for that as there's proof for the existence of a God.
argument.^

O.K fair enough.

Let me rephrase what I said earlier.

I think the world would be a better place without some religions.

And Atheism is Not a religion you idiots.
Shows how much you know.
response.^

first of all; you had to rephrase yourself? now what does that say to you? that you're incorrect & backtracking? I believe so.

shows how much we know? shows how much YOU know. the way I explained atheism as a religion IS a 100% valid, no fucking way around it. you try to scare & intimidate people by saying you know oh so much on religions & have read so much about the subject in a poor attempt to defend yourself when someone said you really don't have a clue. & you really don't have a clue.

calling me an "idiot" won't make me suddenly think I'm wrong, appologise for my silly mistake & agree with you. most definitely not. besides the fact I'm right, your way of approaching me would only ever get a negative reaction out of me.

the definition of atheism may interest you:
Atheism- The belief that God does not exist.
atheism - A belief that there are no gods. Greek "a-theos": without-god.
S: (n) atheism, godlessness (the doctrine or belief that there is no God)
ATHEISM belief that there is no god and that religion should be suppressed.
atheism n the doctrine that there is no deity

endlesst0m
06-05-2006, 10:28 AM

I wasn't really sticking up for him...I was just drunk.

endlesst0m
06-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Sounds like revolution!

Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!Death to 1337! Regular people FTW! Death to Brainiacs!

Hahaha. Theres nothing wrong with being smart. But being smart and being an asshole is an annoying combo.

Nina
06-05-2006, 12:10 PM
I wanted to reply to nieh, thanking him a LOT for explaining it in a way I can understand it, but backed off after Endy's reply. Now that I hear that it's actually right... I want to thank the both of you. Thanks nieh for making me be more understanding, and thanks Endy for being hot in this topic.
I dont support meanness usually but this one seemed justified to me.

the_GoDdEsS
06-05-2006, 12:35 PM
You're an idiot.

You're going to hell for that, heathen!

And I wish God punished stupidity as well.

JohnnyNemesis
06-05-2006, 04:43 PM
Rarely have my catchphrases been so fitting. So:

ilovellamas: Stop crying.

HeadAroundU: Go away, no one likes you.

endlesst0m: Stop trying.

Placebo14: Fucking expire.

HeadAroundU
06-05-2006, 04:59 PM
Ricky baby! what's up! :D

Andy
06-05-2006, 05:00 PM
I am SO reading this thread tomorrow when I can be bothered.

Paint_It_Black
06-05-2006, 05:03 PM
Andy, do it. You won't regret it.

Jakebert
06-05-2006, 08:45 PM
I just read through this thing, and oh man, funny stuff. Even though the topic is basically dead, I just want to ask: Placebo, I'm sure one of the reasons you hate religion is becaause the people are self-important and impose their beliefs on others, right? Well, how is it any different when you do it? I've always wondered this.

Italia311
06-05-2006, 09:47 PM
I've always wondered that too...

Placebo14
06-06-2006, 02:14 AM
I just read through this thing, and oh man, funny stuff. Even though the topic is basically dead, I just want to ask: Placebo, I'm sure one of the reasons you hate religion is becaause the people are self-important and impose their beliefs on others, right? Well, how is it any different when you do it? I've always wondered this.

I don't try to shove my beliefs down peoples throats.
People can believe what ever they want, I don't care.
I just may not agree with it, that's all.

Llamas
06-06-2006, 02:20 AM
Im not an idiot.

doesn't sound like you "Just may not agree". you seem to care what others believe.

Sin Studly
06-06-2006, 02:40 AM
I don't try to shove my beliefs down peoples throats.

People can believe what ever they want, I don't care.

I absolutely hate religion. I think the world would be a far better place without religion.

I just may not agree with it, that's all.

Wow, you're worthless.

Paint_It_Black
06-06-2006, 03:21 AM
Justin, you know he won't be able to understand what you just did, right?

SkunkIt
06-06-2006, 04:02 AM
I can't vote in that poll, because I don't know what the hell I am. I don't believe in God or the Devil, but I believe in alot of other stuff and I'm not an Athiest. I also believe that people have no souls and just rot in their graves. However, if there are souls, then I would think good people and people that weren't bad enough to get into Hell stay on Earth and have fun, but people like child molesters and sane genocidal killers get stuck in their graves. And no, I don't want to argue about this or explain this to anyone, because it would just be an on going argument.

Llamas
06-06-2006, 04:12 AM
I can't vote, either, because I believe there's a god, but I'm agnostic... so two answers fit me.

Paint_It_Black
06-06-2006, 04:28 AM
I believe there's a god, but I'm agnostic...

If you believe there's a god then you cannot be agnostic. There's no room for interpretation on that.

Llamas
06-06-2006, 04:36 AM
"Agnosticism is a concept, not a religion. It is a belief related to the existence or non-existence of God.

An agnostic is a person who feels that God's existence can neither be proved nor disproved, on the basis of current evidence. Agnostics note that some theologians and philosophers have tried to to prove, for millennia, that God exists. Others have attempted to prove that God does not exist. Agnostics feel that neither side has convincingly succeeded at their task."

I believe in the idea that there's possibly a god, but I believe it is 100% impossible to prove whether or not there is.

Me pretty much dead on: "An agnostic usually holds the question of the existence of God open, pending the arrival of more evidence. They are willing to change their belief if some solid evidence or logical proof is found in the future."

Paint_It_Black
06-06-2006, 04:42 AM
I believe in the idea that there's possibly a god

That's fine, I didn't need you to cut and paste a definition. But, that's not what you said before.

I believe there's a god

This statement is completely different. Completely. You cannot believe there is a god and be agnostic. Your own definition shows that.

Llamas
06-06-2006, 04:45 AM
well, that's because I'm unsure myself what I believe, and I find that my thoughts are impossible to define. In some ways, I do believe in "a" god, but not a god as it's defined by any religion. due to the fact that I don't fit into any religion, including atheism, society sort of aims me toward agnosticism by default. I don't KNOW for sure that I believe in a god, but it's what I go by. it's really not fair for you to be so nit-picky about something that I can't exactly explain, I guess.

Endymion
06-06-2006, 04:49 AM
I believe there's a god

I believe in the idea that there's possibly a god
we've got ourselves a regular john kerry here.

Paint_It_Black
06-06-2006, 04:52 AM
it's really not fair for you to be so nit-picky about something that I can't exactly explain, I guess.

The thing is I'm agnostic, and I get annoyed when other people misuse it. And in the first post you mentioned it, you did indeed misuse it.

The word to describe you is simply "uncertain". I have nothing against your beliefs. But, from what you've said, you aren't agnostic. I'm sorry if this seems nit-picky, but definitions matter to me. Language is about communication, and to be effective it needs to be efficient. This means that, whenever possible, definitions need to be strictly adhered to. See, I wasn't arguing just to be a dick, this actually matters to me.

Llamas
06-06-2006, 04:56 AM
I understand your concern... the thing is, agnosticism has so many variations... you've got people who don't know what they believe in, you have people who don't know if they believe at all, you have people who have ideas of what they might believe in, (agnostic theists, agnostic atheists, empirial agnostics, agnostic humanists) etc, etc. The thing is, I've sat down and sorted out my thoughts very, very meticuously. I've spent the past three years figuring out where I stand religiously. I'm doing a HORRIBLE job of explaining it in here, and I shouldn't have brought up anything at all. Basically, in order for you to see how I'm agnostic, I'd have to sit down and do that meticuous dissection of my beliefs. I'm very strong on definitions, too, and I do everything in my power not to label myself or anyone else as something I or they are not.

EDIT: One thing I wanted to say that might make things a little more clear is that what I actually come to is an agnostic theist, because I think that a deity probably exists. I shouldn't have said "I believe in god" so distinctly, but I was really just trying to make my point that I couldn't vote in the poll... I wasn't trying to explain my belief system.

Sin Studly
06-06-2006, 06:12 AM
You cannot believe there is a god and be agnostic.

I think believing in a god but not subscribing to any religion counts as agnostic. Or as the simple-minded university sluts would term it, "I'm not religious, but I'm spiritual"

Sunny
06-06-2006, 06:14 AM
hey, that's my line!

Sin Studly
06-06-2006, 06:16 AM
....can I buy you a fourteenth bottle of pre-mixed vodka lollywater?

Sunny
06-06-2006, 06:34 AM
You seem to have mastered the fine art of courting college girls; I applaud you. ;p

Sin Studly
06-06-2006, 08:05 AM
It saves me hundreds of cents on my sleeping pill expenses.

Paint_It_Black
06-06-2006, 11:25 AM
I think believing in a god but not subscribing to any religion counts as agnostic. Or as the simple-minded university sluts would term it, "I'm not religious, but I'm spiritual"

I don't know. I would have thought it would be difficult to believe in a god but also believe that it's beyond our comprehension and all that good stuff. But I suppose it is possible.

Llamas
06-06-2006, 05:59 PM
I think of it as that it's possible to believe there's a god, but to also believe that it's solely a thought and a personal belief. that nobody can prove it. that there are many things that could sway your opinion away from that idea. I think there's a difference between a belief and a religion... I believe there's probably a god of some sort... but I don't think I know that, I don't think it's provable, and I don't think that any religion is right. I also don't worship any god. All I can really say I believe is that there's some sort of deity who has created things in some way, whether it's through evolution or creationism or a combination of the two. I count that as agnosticism. It's not really undecided... it's as undecided as any other agnostic person. But I don't have any strong beliefs, and I don't think there's a way to know anything about it. That kind of makes me agnostic.

sara_rock_soul
06-07-2006, 07:11 PM
im catholic, but i am not a goodie goodie 2 shoes, i do not have a problem with any religion, my best friend is atheist & im kool with it, i do not worry about anything, you can be friends with anyone, no matter what religion they are. im kool with all of them. i believe in god, but i am not that nice. :)

nieh
06-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Wow.

Just...wow.

JohnnyNemesis
06-07-2006, 07:32 PM
im catholic, but i am not a goodie goodie 2 shoes, i do not have a problem with any religion, my best friend is atheist & im kool with it, i do not worry about anything, you can be friends with anyone, no matter what religion they are. im kool with all of them. i believe in god, but i am not that nice. :)

Don't fucking do this shit again. EVER AGAIN.

Llamas
06-07-2006, 08:54 PM

my brow furrowed more and more as I read this post. then I almost puked.

HeadAroundU
06-07-2006, 09:28 PM
What's so puking about it?

Rocky-girl
06-07-2006, 09:40 PM
What for you is being religious? Is it going to church, or praying in the night? Or maybe just thinking about God?

Sin Studly
06-07-2006, 11:54 PM

Except for Muslims, right?

Llamas
06-07-2006, 11:57 PM
What's so puking about it?

because people like that tend to be very fake.