PDA

View Full Version : Pick up my symptoms?

HornyPope
06-01-2006, 04:27 PM
My stomach hurts but I can't take a shit and when I do it comes out in liquidish form and it really hurts.

Any advices?

It's too bad there isn't a medical equivalant of wikipedia. Like a collection of symptoms and sicknesses and various advices how to respond to it. I like DIY medicine. :)

nieh
06-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Is the stomach pain something you've never felt before? Or is this something you've had before and are just now getting curious enough to look up? Could be something gall bladder related but that normally involves throwing up.

Also, www.webmd.com helps to some extent.

HornyPope
06-01-2006, 04:30 PM
It's regular craps. Only the hurting-when-i-shit part is new.

HornyPope
06-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the url. It's helpful but it lacks the substance to make it an interesting read. They don't tell me the real interesting stuff like how does the syndrome develop, how predominant is it etc...

nieh
06-01-2006, 04:36 PM
Some of them have more info than others: http://www.webmd.com/hw/gallstones/hw107153.asp vs http://www.webmd.com/hw/digestive_problems/zw1012.asp

HornyPope
06-01-2006, 04:40 PM
Meh. There's still the feeling that it merely serves to prepare you for an upcoming exam. Made for worrysome people who will freak out if they don't know what the procedure and the risks entail. It's not quite on an encyclopedia level, but better than the alrternative, I suppose.

Linda
06-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Take pepto-bismol.
If that don't work,
R.I.P

Sunny
06-01-2006, 04:56 PM
ouch. sounds painful. i wonder if it could be IBS (irritable bowel syndrome)...

some of the syndroms: lasting abdominal pain/discomfort (which might be relieved by bowel movements) and stuff like:

a change in frequency of bowel movements
a change in appearance of bowel movements
feelings of uncontrollable urgency to have a bowel movement
difficulty or inability to pass stool
mucus in the stool
bloating

...ek. hope that's not it, and feel better :] *sends a sunnyhug your way*

HornyPope
06-01-2006, 05:04 PM
The stomach hurts less now. I think. The only problem now is it still hurts when I shit.

And heh it reminded me.

"Wanna be a Ghostbuster
First black President owner of "Hustler"
Got shot down like Larry Flynt
Felt like shit like a bowel movement"

I <3 Bloodhound Gang.

Sunny
06-01-2006, 05:09 PM
ahah. wtf. i have to look it up, i have no clue which song its from.

i looked up causes for painful defecation.. and it was like... constipation, anal fissures (sometimes caused by strain), hemorrhoids, and abscesses.

yummi ;z

wheelchairman
06-01-2006, 05:16 PM
It's the anal! stupid!

JohnnyNemesis
06-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Oh, I wish I couldn't relate to you, Vlad, but I definitely can. I've actually battled this problem for most of my life. I didn't have medical insurance though, so I couldn't do much about it, but I certainly wish you the best on this one. All I could really do was look for patterns in what I ate and adjust my diet.

Paint_It_Black
06-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Oh, I wish I couldn't relate to you, Vlad, but I definitely can. I've actually battled this problem for most of my life. I didn't have medical insurance though, so I couldn't do much about it, but I certainly wish you the best on this one. All I could really do was look for patterns in what I ate and adjust my diet.

Same here. The only time I saw a doctor about it he just said it was IBS, and didn't really offer much else. Looking for patterns and adjusting your diet is the best general advice there is.

Tizzalicious
06-01-2006, 10:33 PM
I thought IBS too.

Yay fot IBS. Not.

HornyPope
06-01-2006, 11:02 PM
Well it's all been shat out now. So yay!

Mota Boy
06-01-2006, 11:16 PM
My stomach hurts but I can't take a shit and when I do it comes out in liquidish form and it really hurts.
My friend, you seem to have eaten Thai curry in a restaurant that allows you to order your meal "Thai hot". The only solution is to eat more Thai food until you become immune.

Izie
06-02-2006, 12:01 AM
Mota has a point there.

And the symptoms have to go on for quite a while for it to be IBS. Otherwise it can just be stress induced, or fairly simply, something bad you ate.

Everyone seems to have a bad stomach these days :/

Sunny
06-02-2006, 03:27 AM

pardon me if i've asked you this before, but doesn't your school offer health insurance to students on some basic level?

My friend, you seem to have eaten Thai curry in a restaurant that allows you to order your meal "Thai hot".

oh god. oh god. i would laugh if this wasn't so true.

and congrats on shitting it all out, vlad! *throws confetti*

Sin Studly
06-02-2006, 07:07 AM
Well it's all been shat out now. So yay!

I asked my mama. It was probably a mild botulism, but if it comes back within the next six months it's probably rectal/bowel/stomach/other cancer, so I'm withholding my congrats until then. But yeah, good luck man.

JoY
06-02-2006, 07:08 AM
Same here. The only time I saw a doctor about it he just said it was IBS, and didn't really offer much else. Looking for patterns and adjusting your diet is the best general advice there is.
that's because most assholes don't consider it a real problem, as it isn't recognised as an actual disease. that's why it's called IBS; a syndrom. a collection of unexplainable symptoms put together in a name.

if it would've been IBS, I think Vlad would've had this problem earlier. not just earlier, but with more urgent & typical symptoms - not that it doesn't suck if you can't take a shit.

maybe you just ate something wrong. I had that a few weeks ago & it was uberfuckingpainful. after I finally could go to the toilet, it was a LOT better, though.
you can have tiny infections in your bowels all the time. IBS patients probably just get them more easily from more kinds of food & it seems to be somewhat stress induced. so yeah, it could've been an irritation of the bowels, sure. but IBS? nah.
maybe you travelled not too long ago - you can get serious bowelproblems from travelling some way or the other. & I don't mean the difference in kinds of food, but just the travelling itself, sitting still in a plane/car/whatever.
or maybe you've been real busy lately, haven't had enough time to eat, ate unhealthy/too quickly, or both. in combination with stress that can be deadly for your tummy. (well, not really *deadly*..)

so basically it could be a lot of things. not IBS, however. you definitely would've noticed that. I just noticed Iz said some useful things & also Claibe. *grins@Claibe's post* congratulations on your latest toiletvisit & take good care of that tummy of yours.

Sin Studly
06-02-2006, 07:12 AM
I'd be willing to put down $20 on a botulism.

Little_Miss_1565
06-02-2006, 07:17 AM
I've had food poisoning like that Vlad...did you get the shakes along with it? When I magically became lactose intolerant again after 19 years of being fine, I had those same symptoms. Do you notice any difference if you don't chow down on dairy?

WebMD.com is a kind of medical wikipedia...my favorite place to go to find out I have cancer!

JoY
06-02-2006, 07:25 AM
babies who were lactose intolerant have a huge chance of becoming lactose intolerant again later in their life. so that might be a possibility indeed. no one can't seriously KNOW what it is without the full context, though. like, have you had it before, do you have a history with belly aches, or anything related, what did you eat the last couple of days.....

Tizzalicious
06-02-2006, 07:44 AM
Bella, actually a lot of people don't discover IBS until they are in their 20s.

Little_Miss_1565
06-02-2006, 07:46 AM
But aren't most people with IBS women?

Tizzalicious
06-02-2006, 07:48 AM
I have no idea. Maybe most, but guys can definitely get it too.

Paint_It_Black
06-02-2006, 05:19 PM
But aren't most people with IBS women?

Seems that way, though I have it and so does my uncle. I wonder if part of it could be that more women will admit to having it than men when they do studies or however they get their statistics.

One thing that really bugs me is that the only medication I've ever seen advertised to treat it is for women only. It actually sucks to be a man for once.

Tizzalicious
06-02-2006, 10:10 PM
Richard, this site helped me a lot: www.helpforibs.com

Well, it didn't really help, because it's gone crazy lately, but it did help me figure out some stuff.

Paint_It_Black
06-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Thanks, I added that site to my favourites. I've got my IBS pretty much under control, but I'll definitely check it out later.

Tizzalicious
06-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Ah, in that case you won't need it maybe, but it's still useful to see what you can do when things go bad (I found out which tea I can drink to stop me looking like a pregnant woman ;)). Things like that.

Paint_It_Black
06-02-2006, 10:24 PM
Yeah, I'll definitely have a look because I can't guarantee how long my current methods will continue to work.

JoY
06-03-2006, 06:57 AM
Bella, actually a lot of people don't discover IBS until they are in their 20s.
but that doesn't mean it suddenly pops up when they're in their 20s. because that's not the way it goes. most people are sensitive for certain foodproducts all their life, need to be careful with spices, dairy, just eat everything in moderation, then it goes wrong at some point & they're diagnosed.

like I said, IBS by definition isn't a disease. I wouldn't ever ignore the fact however that it's a huge major problem for those who have it & that we'll have to figure out what causes it & how to make it better. it's true that more women than men have it. it's also said to be caused by stress & I'm certain stress plays a part in the occurance of symptoms, but I don't think it's purely emotion-induced. that's just rediculous. like when you're mentally unstable, you get IBS, that's how it's often seen. I hate that attitude.

Tizzalicious
06-03-2006, 07:20 AM
I guess it doesn't just "pop up" then, but you can definitely never have problems, and suddenly do in your 20s. Nothing weird about that.

Paint_It_Black
06-04-2006, 05:18 AM
A lot of people probably have a genetic predisposition towards IBS and those kind of disorders, and stress can act as a trigger, as with many other things.