PDA

View Full Version : And they say money can't buy happiness...

Mota Boy
06-01-2006, 10:09 PM
My life will be complete upon owning this (http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/asot/calculatorwatch.wmv) watch.

The future is now.

T-6005
06-01-2006, 10:30 PM
Whoa. Just, whoa.

I love how the guy makes it sound like the most absolutely incredible invention ever.

Lizardus
06-01-2006, 10:57 PM
Money can't buy happyness, but it's agreat substitute.

Mota Boy
06-01-2006, 11:03 PM
You mean, as in money can buy cocaine, which has an ironclad exchange rate with happiness?

Idiot
06-02-2006, 02:12 AM
I used to have a watch back in school that was a TV remote for any brand of TV as well. The fun I had that in school and in electrical stores in the highstreet.

pyromaniac
06-02-2006, 07:06 AM
I used to have a watch back in school that was a TV remote for any brand of TV as well. The fun I had that in school and in electrical stores in the highstreet.
I need to get one of them SOB's :D

Andy
06-02-2006, 07:08 AM
Money can't buy you happiness, but it can certainly help you choose your own form of misery.

TheUnholyNightbringer
06-02-2006, 08:44 AM
Very philosophical, Andy.

Idiot, I had one of those TV remote watches too. That was fabulous.

Paint_It_Black
06-02-2006, 05:26 PM
If money can't buy you happiness, then you're incapable of being happy. Think of anything that would make you happy and I can almost guarantee money would make it easier to attain. Obviously things like a loved one's miraculous return from the dead could not be purchased, but it couldn't be achieved any other way either.

Prahv, Spires of Order
06-02-2006, 05:45 PM
If money can't buy you happiness, then you're incapable of being happy. Think of anything that would make you happy and I can almost guarantee money would make it easier to attain. Obviously things like a loved one's miraculous return from the dead could not be purchased, but it couldn't be achieved any other way either.

Say winning a counter-strike tournament makes you happy? Or maybe saturdays make you happy. How would money make counter-strike tournaments easier or make time speed up?

0r4ng3
06-02-2006, 05:46 PM
You'd probably have to buy Counter Strike first.

Prahv, Spires of Order
06-02-2006, 05:49 PM
You can go play at a friends house.

Thomas
06-02-2006, 05:57 PM
If those are the only things that make you happy, you probably cutted yourself to death already.

0r4ng3
06-02-2006, 05:59 PM
If those are the only things that make you happy, you probably cutted yourself to death already.
Even then, you'd have to buy a razor.

Sinister
06-02-2006, 05:59 PM
(edit : As Richard said,) money itself seldom brings happiness, but it's involved in getting about 99.99999% of all the things on earth that can make one happy.

Thomas
06-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Even then, you'd have to buy a razor.
My idea has once again been thwarted by logic. *cuts*

EDIT: I didn't pay for my razor. I stole it from my parents.

Prahv, Spires of Order
06-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Im not saying those are the only things that make me happy. Those were some examples that dont cost money to enjoy (usally). Some more are hanging with freinds, or the smell of fresh air in the morning.

(edit : As Richard said,) money itself seldom brings happiness, but it's involved in getting about 99.99999% of all the things on earth that can make one happy.

EDIT: Sorry for being naive, but whos Richard?

Paint_It_Black
06-02-2006, 06:39 PM
Say winning a counter-strike tournament makes you happy? Or maybe saturdays make you happy. How would money make counter-strike tournaments easier or make time speed up?

To win that tournament you'd have to buy a computer, all the accesories, and also have an interent connection. And a home. And electricity. In other words, you need money. The money won't guarantee you'll win, but it improves your chances. And honestly, nothing can guarantee happiness, only the chance of happiness can be increased. And NOTHING increases this chance as much as large amounts of cash.

If saturdays make you happy simply because of some odd affection for that particular day then you have psychological issues. If saturdays make you happy because you don't have to work or go to school (most likely), then money can make every day of your life a saturday. But just in case you do actually have that weird attachment to actual saturdays, maybe you could see a psychiatrist and get that fixed. Assuming, of course, that you have the money to pay for it.

I've already stated that having money greatly increases your chances of happiness. But I forgot to mention that not having money almost guarantees misery. Probably the greatest form of happiness is simply not being miserable any more.

Oh, and I'm Richard.

Edit:

You can go play at a friends house.
Which he could only possess through money. Hopefully you see the point by now.

Prahv, Spires of Order
06-02-2006, 06:50 PM
I see what your saying now. But what if our world had no system of money, although that's very unlikely, would we all be sad?

Thomas
06-02-2006, 06:53 PM
No, but that is irrelevant. Our society has currency. That saying applies to real life, and real life has currency.

Paint_It_Black
06-02-2006, 06:56 PM
But what if our world had no system of money, although that's very unlikely, would we all be sad?

It depends. If all the money magically disappeared one day and there was no system to replace it then yes, we'd all be miserable and probably die. If there was another system introduced that worked at least as well then no, we would not all be sad. And sorry, but that was a pretty silly question.

Prahv, Spires of Order
06-02-2006, 06:59 PM
It depends. If all the money magically disappeared one day and there was no system to replace it then yes, we'd all be miserable and probably die. If there was another system introduced that worked at least as well then no, we would not all be sad. And sorry, but that was a pretty silly question.

I thought it was a silly question too. But monkeys have no form of currency and they seem pretty happy.

Paint_It_Black
06-02-2006, 07:01 PM
I see you're following a silly question with a silly and irrelevant observation.

Thomas
06-02-2006, 07:04 PM
I thought it was a silly question too. But monkeys have no form of currency and they seem pretty happy.
But monkeys are retarded and they don't know any better.

Prahv, Spires of Order
06-02-2006, 07:07 PM
We are the only animal on the planet that uses any form of currencies, yet there are a million other animals (types) that live on this planet. They cant all be sad, can they?

Paint_It_Black
06-02-2006, 07:13 PM
We are the only animal on the planet that uses any form of currencies, yet there are a million other animals (types) that live on this planet. They cant all be sad, can they?

You're missing the point again, and your argument is completely flawed as well as irrelevant. You may even be intentionally fucking with me now, I'm not sure.

We do use money. And we aren't monkeys. I refuse to elaborate on that.

Prahv, Spires of Order
06-02-2006, 07:15 PM
You're missing the point again, and your argument is completely flawed as well as irrelevant. You may even be intentionally fucking with me now, I'm not sure.

We do use money. And we aren't monkeys. I refuse to elaborate on that.

Okay, then. Ill stop making "flawed" and "irrelevant" comments. Argument over.

coke_a_holic
06-02-2006, 07:17 PM
I doubt they have much emotion. That's like asking if animals feel love. They don't, they follow instinct and have sex with a mate in order to reproduce. It's nature, they're not happy or sad.

Are centipedes angry?

0r4ng3
06-02-2006, 07:19 PM
I sure as hell would be. Do you know how hard it is to find pants that fit?!

Paint_It_Black
06-02-2006, 07:21 PM
And a hundred shoes that match.

coke_a_holic
06-02-2006, 07:26 PM
I mean, that would suck, but I would quite enjoy having an excuse to crawl around naked.

Prahv, Spires of Order
06-02-2006, 07:27 PM
I mean, that would suck, but I would quite enjoy having an excuse to crawl around naked.

Who need an excuse?

coke_a_holic
06-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Ask me that when you get fined for indecent exposure.

Prahv, Spires of Order
06-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Already have been fined. And guess what I did in jail? Crawled around naked.

coke_a_holic
06-02-2006, 07:30 PM
<Insert buttsex comment here>

Paint_It_Black
06-02-2006, 07:30 PM

If I was a moderator I would.

Endymion
06-02-2006, 07:33 PM
god, i'd almost forgotten that XE existed. a sad shadow of what it once was...

http://www.x-entertainment.com/messages/575.html

Prahv, Spires of Order
06-02-2006, 07:36 PM

Where much work is done make sure nothing is accomplished.