PDA

View Full Version : The End Of Highschool

Nina
06-03-2006, 09:06 AM
Did any of you go to prom at the end of highschool?
For Americans/Canadians: Did any of you go to prom after junior high?
What were your experiences?

Is Germany the only country that has a family-related prom? Close family members are expected, I cant say I am a fan of that.

If you attended prom, were you extremly dressy? Are there any specific rituals in your country? I know that Americans have those flower thingies around their wrist, and they rent a limo, but not all parts of America have that.

Any thoughts on the subject?

Vera
06-03-2006, 09:08 AM
I had my graduation and I was extremely un-dressy. I'm not a very dressy person. Even if I was, I'm very lazy so I probably wouldn't have bothered anyway.

I'm going out partying later tonight and wearing the same thing I wore to the graduation. It's in no way casual but it's not the satin-gown stuff my friends wore.

Nina
06-03-2006, 09:15 AM
Was it ANY fun? For now I regret having bought tickets.

Sunny
06-03-2006, 09:16 AM
i did.

no family members were invited, though, i'm guessing it's a German custom.

it was fun, although no alcohol was allowed (people tried to sneak some in, ha). and the food was bad.

i wore a black, slightly shiny gown and a little tiara, lulz. i am (was) such a little goth.

Nina
06-03-2006, 09:18 AM
Yeah, I hear the food is always bad.

How come no alcohol was allowed? Dont you guys graduate after 12 years? You'd be 18 at that time. And alcohol consume is allowed at 18 (in Poland), right?

I forgot to mention that pictures are welcome.

P.S. Vera - are you completely done with school now?

Sin Studly
06-03-2006, 09:20 AM
I'd dropped out by then, but I heard three people I disliked got their teeth literally kicked out of their mouths there. So yeah, I wish I went.

T-6005
06-03-2006, 09:23 AM
Never wanted to go to prom. So I didn't go.

Graduation night was a far bigger indicator of the end of high school for me.

the_GoDdEsS
06-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Haha, back to 1999. There was a ball where we invited parents and teachers. We dressed up and of course we'd smuggle alcohol in. The headmaster then officially awarded us with green graduate ribbons, then we'd make several funny sketches and were all like actors, sang Gaudeamus. Then there was a live band and we stayed and danced all night. The afterparty consisted of renting a cheap house for three nights at a lake and getting wasted.

Then after exams there was no official grad party. We rented a house again in the woods and did the same.

Vera
06-03-2006, 09:35 AM
Oh, there was no ball. Just a ceremony, bu people still dressed fancy.

And now I'm finding out people are totally fucking their own plans for this evenin and I may end up spending it alone, which is gonna suck. ealgfwktgfkeagfkagekf SO ANNOYED. Fuck, I might as well stay at home. This blows. :/

Rag Doll
06-03-2006, 09:39 AM
We had a "prom" in 8th grade...and then junior year of high school and senior year of high school. For the senior prom...lets see. Most people rented limos, but no one in my group of friends could agree on anything, so some of us ended up just going in my friend's BMW. Everyone dresses very nice....floor length gowns for the girls and tuxedos for the boys. Girls gets their hair, makeup, and nails done beforehand. In one of my classes, we figured the average girl spent around $2500, before the limo and the afterparty stuff. The food sucked, the music was bad. They took pictures. Family isn't invited nor welcome. That's what pre-prom parties are for. Alcohol isn't allowed, obviously, because of the drinking age. If you took a date from outside the school, they needed to fill out other paperwork. Afterwards, most people went to NYC to clubs and got hammered. Then rented a beach house for the weekend or so after prom. It's a very expensive weekend here.

wheelchairman
06-03-2006, 09:44 AM
We had a galla fest in December. It was a in a fancy hall. And I split the money for a limo with some people. These people sucked major ass and made it so late that I only got 4 min. And I never got my money back. I had my revenge though. I drank the entire selection of alcohol in the limo, since they had been "kind" enough to wait until I came. I had dressed nicely and everything too.

Douche bags.

We have an end of year party for my graduating class. It costs roughly 40 euros. A hefty ticket price. It pisses me off since no one can afford it. I don't think there is a dress code.

Tizzalicious
06-03-2006, 09:54 AM
I never graduated :( We had a prom//gala thing every year at Christmas though, but it was a whole lot less fancy than an actual prom. But still pretty cool.

Alcohol was never alowed at any of our school parties =/

Did you fix your dress problem by the way?

Nina
06-03-2006, 09:58 AM
Wow, no dress code in Denmark? That surprises me.

Rag Doll, that's insanely expensive. Everybody at my school was like vdbrhfbsjbdh when we heard that the tickets are going to cost 25€. Then again, since family members must be there, it's going to cost a lot at the end. I personally spent 75€ (me, my mom, her friend) and my boyfriend spent the same amout (himself, his mom, her boyfriend). *sigh*
But other people have their entire family there....haha.

The evening grown thing seems to be really, really big in the US. My dress is rather short...knee-length. I couldnt find a grown for cheaper than 100€ (mine cost 32€ shipping included).

I dont like spending a lot of money on one single night :[

Edit: Tizz, I just bought another one, as explained above. My mom didnt have time to tailor the other dress. Oh well.

Rag Doll
06-03-2006, 10:06 AM
yeahhh...it's crazy. our tickets were $80 each. So...$160 a couple. sucks. My dress wasn't too expensive, cause I got it on sale...$120, maybe? My friend spent over $400 before the alterations. And then shoes and jewelry and other accessories. Crazy. I wish it was set up more like yours is. =\

Tizzalicious
06-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Edit: Tizz, I just bought another one, as explained above. My mom didnt have time to tailor the other dress. Oh well.

Aww, too bad! I wanna see the new one though!

Nina
06-03-2006, 10:11 AM
It's prettier than the other one...and fits me perfectly, measurement-wise.

http://www.atelier-noblesse.de/ebay/foto/atelier-noblesse1103.jpg

Even if nobody likes it...it is seriously my dream dress.

Tizzalicious
06-03-2006, 10:12 AM
Ooooh, I liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike!

Nina
06-03-2006, 10:14 AM
Hehe yay! I hope it'll look good on me, and not weird-ish. I love ebay.

nieh
06-03-2006, 10:31 AM
We had a prom senior year and it was pretty much the most overrated night of my life. Rented a tux, rented a limo, paid for the tickets, etc. The food wasn't horrible but it wasn't really all that great. The music was bad and LOUD so it was hard to avoid. Plus the whole "me and all my friends were on the verge of breaking up with our girlfriends at the time" didn't make it any better. We probably would've had more fun getting dressed up and going to Denny's.

Prom weekend was nice. Ditched the girlfriend (she had to go to work) and went with a different group of friends to a beach house.

sKratch
06-03-2006, 10:37 AM
My prom was pretty good. I went with my girlfriend at the time, which probably made it more fun. I'm totally not a dancer, so I spent most of the night chatting with friends etc.

lulz I'm 20 and going to prom again because I have a friend in high school who asked me

ps - Nina, I really like that dress.

nieh
06-03-2006, 10:48 AM
I just dug through all my pictures and can't find a thing from prom. I don't think I actually brought a camera with me and was relying on other people to take pictures for me.

I DID, however, find my pictures from the senior trip to Florida. There's one of me with Kira and Paula. But I don't have a scanner so you can't see it!

Nina
06-03-2006, 10:51 AM
There's one of me with Kira and Paula.

Holy shit. I had completely forgotten about them.
Do you still have contact to them?
I never saw a picture of the two. I cant even imagine how they look like, haha.

wheelchairman
06-03-2006, 10:56 AM
The major thing about Danish graduation is. We'll all get our graduation hats. And then we will spend all day in the back of an open truck drinking and yelling at copenhagen about how we are now students. This particular event cost:
350 DKK for the hat, sweatshirt, champagne class, pen
150 DKK as a deposit for the truck (which I won't get back :/)
450 DKK for the driver of the truck
100 DKK for the driver of the truck per hour

total: 1050 DKK. That is 150 euros for a day. Not to mention I need to buy my own booze.

Thankfully it was paid out over a period of a few months because that is easily half my paycheck and the other half would go to things like the bus.

but this is how danes celebrate the final graduation.

nieh
06-03-2006, 10:58 AM
Holy shit. I had completely forgotten about them.
Do you still have contact to them?
I never saw a picture of the two. I cant even imagine how they look like, haha.

No, I think I've talked to them once after they stopped posting here and I don't remember their AIM names or anything. I still think it's strange that they live seriously like 10-15 minutes from me in NJ and we ended up meeting up during both our school trips to Florida.

wheelchairman
06-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Dude go to their houses right now. Take a picture and come back. Seriously wtf man we want them back. (also see if you can get them to make out a little bit.)

nieh
06-03-2006, 11:07 AM
I don't know where their houses are. I only remember they lived in or just outside of Cherry Hill which was like 15 minutes away from me at the time, now it's even less.

wheelchairman
06-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Look it up in a phone book.

BREAK
06-03-2006, 11:09 AM
No, of course I didn't go to prom, dammit.

nieh
06-03-2006, 11:10 AM
Look it up in a phone book.

That only works if you have their last name.

Izie
06-03-2006, 11:14 AM
I had a prom. It sucked majorly. Our food was good though.

I was convinced to go because my dad said he'd buy me a dress if I did, so yah. That's exactly what happened.

I spent 90% of the night in the hall outside the "ballroom" with my sociology teacher - such a great woman. I uber-hate Serbian girls' "fashion sense".

Anyway, I was totally geisha-like, a silk flashy green kimono-like thing, knee length, a short black dress under it (with some darkgreen-darkred prints), orangy-golden hair and THE best makeup on the prom, which I did myself btw. Ha.

Preocupado
06-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Prom? I spent my last days of high school planning a bombing...

Betty
06-03-2006, 11:33 AM
We didn't even have a prom, cause our school was too small, and I guess it wasn't worth organizing.

After graduation night we drove out to a campground and got hammered. One of the best nights of my life. Then we did it again the next year cause we graduated again (grade 12, OAC, year kinda weird).

killer_queen
06-03-2006, 12:41 PM
We are having a prom three weeks later and I have to go. I don't think I really want to go, though. Still couldn't buy a dress because I definitely don't want to spend 600 dollars for an evening dress and the cheap ones are incredibly disgusting. Plus I hate dancing and pretending I'm having so much fun. But daddy has already bought the tickets and I promised everyone for going.

I mean, yeah, we have proms and we get all dressy and stuff and I just hate those kind of things.

wheelchairman
06-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Whoa, check out newest user. WCM ftw!

the_GoDdEsS
06-03-2006, 01:28 PM
I uber-hate Serbian girls' "fashion sense".

Haha, I remember that picture of some prom chicks you showed me once. Ew.

And our ball or whatever I'd call it consisted of our class only. Which was 32 students, our teachers and parents. And we were fun, so it wasn't all that bad. Except I hated the band.

HornyPope
06-03-2006, 01:30 PM
We had ours in Queen Elisabeth hotel in Montreal. The fare was originaly like 8000$ for a party (split between 60 graduates) but we did the typical car wash and charity raising and year book selling and selling advertisment in the yearbook so the tickets were brought down to 70-ish dollars a head.

Some kids rented limos. But that was like 300$ per couple and I, of course, refused.

I don't remember if we had an actual dress code or not, but everyone basicly came in suits. And the girls in dresses.

I worked a telemarketing job the entire spring to pay for this fucking prom. How I hated it.

Izie
06-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Haha, I remember that picture of some prom chicks you showed me once. Ew.

Yessssssss, that's it. My eyes suffered :(

HornyPope
06-03-2006, 01:44 PM
Hey Nina, do you still have some pics from my prom? I can't find none on my pc. :( Send me some?

Nina
06-04-2006, 02:16 AM
Your prom? I dont even remember you sending me some. I'd have to check but I doubt it :[

calichix
06-04-2006, 02:31 AM
in junior high I wasn't allowed to go to my "promotion dance" because I threw a cement block through a teacher's window. :[

when I was a junior in hs we had a star wars themed prom and it was like fun mcfunmerson. I wore the skankiest yellow dress on the planet. so rad.

Andy
06-04-2006, 08:02 AM
At my schools prom I spent the evening sober. The first evening I have been out since I was 16 where I didn't drink. It really sucked. What sucked harder was I didn't drink because I wanted a clear head when I told one of my female friends my true feelings. And to add a big pile of crap onto that, she said no.

I really should have drank that night.

wheelchairman
06-04-2006, 08:17 AM
hahahah that's hilarious andy! Not like there is a guy from high school who hasn't tried that.

Andy
06-04-2006, 08:21 AM
Yeah, I learnt one valuable lesson from that night: Being sober in a party atmosphere sucks. Especially when nursing a bruised ego/heart.

Advice to all those who plan to tell a certain somebody how you feel on prom night: Don't do it sober.

Dexter_H83
06-10-2006, 05:40 AM
my sister just graduated from high school.... :)

Dexter_H83
06-10-2006, 05:56 AM
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2052/g018vb.jpg

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/8673/g021jp.jpg

Dexter_H83
06-10-2006, 06:03 AM
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3495/g030re.jpg

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/5810/g040az.jpg

JoY
06-10-2006, 06:18 AM
our "prom" was great. well, it was most certainly nice. it was more a dance, nothing too special. my friend was called on stage to dance there for having one of the most beautiful dresses. I don't know why they had elections like that. no cared anyway, or expected it & it really didn't suit our school, the students, or even the Dutch for that matter. so yeah, elections were kind of out of place. funny though.

I didn't go to the dinner, because I heard it's never anything special, so I skipped it. too expensive, bad food, foodfights, etc. alcohol was allowed, because we were all over 16 anyway. I think I was drunk at the end of the night. I don't remember much of it. all I remember is dreaming about getting out of there & generally my future. oh right, & I talked to an old crush for a long time. I even think we kissed. I also kissed someone pretty fucking ugly (an old 'friend', however), but I'm not sure it was that night.

JoY
06-10-2006, 06:27 AM
Yeah, I learnt one valuable lesson from that night: Being sober in a party atmosphere sucks. Especially when nursing a bruised ego/heart.

Advice to all those who plan to tell a certain somebody how you feel on prom night: Don't do it sober.
I don't even get why you'd.. my god.. I wouldn't dream of doing anything like that SOBER. poor thing. *hug* alcohol brings out honesty so much easier, more smoothly & you don't notice the shame, the fact you're ubervulnerable at that moment & in case you get shunned, you're anaesthetised in advance.

(these kind of stories MELT women's hearts by the way)

I'll tell you what. we'll make a deal. you won't put yourself out there sober ever again & I won't go overboard with alcohol anymore in situations like that.

Rocky-girl
06-10-2006, 08:24 AM
When my mother was leaving school she and all girls that were leaving school wore white dresses. That was a tradition. But now everyone wear what he/she want. I know that in my class girls will buy evening dresses, last year almost all were in dresses with big skirts and crinoline. Usially students(?) had some dancing in school and then went for a walk till 6 am. But our parents decided to order us a cafe where we will be till 6 am. Not walking. Because of terrorizm. As they say.:(
Oh I forgot, no alchohol.:(:( :mad:

Nina
06-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Dexter_H83, I am talking about PROM, not graduation.

Dexter_H83
06-10-2006, 11:24 AM
Dexter_H83, I am talking about PROM, not graduation.

I know....but my sister won´t go to the prom tomorrow....

Andy
06-10-2006, 11:27 AM
I don't even get why you'd.. my god.. I wouldn't dream of doing anything like that SOBER. poor thing. *hug* alcohol brings out honesty so much easier, more smoothly & you don't notice the shame, the fact you're ubervulnerable at that moment & in case you get shunned, you're anaesthetised in advance.

(these kind of stories MELT women's hearts by the way)

I'll tell you what. we'll make a deal. you won't put yourself out there sober ever again & I won't go overboard with alcohol anymore in situations like that.

It's only a deal if you'll sleep with me.

However, I know exactly what you mean: It's so unlike me to do something like that sober, but I REALLY fucking loved that girl, and wanted to show her respect by being sober. Good deal of luck that turned out to be. :rolleyes:

JoY
06-10-2006, 11:41 AM
pah, I think it was very sweet.

but "sweet" just doesn't cut it these days. women are awful.
Edit: by the way, you don't want to drink too much alcohol either. "I sink ur wery shexy & I like youu wery mutsj" doesn't quite work either.

HornyPope
06-10-2006, 11:44 AM
Your prom? I dont even remember you sending me some. I'd have to check but I doubt it :[

Well there was one pic of me in a suit. I think. There are more in film but its at my parents and that would involve scanning it etc...

SkunkIt
06-10-2006, 04:49 PM
I never went to a High School prom, for more than one reason.

I can't dance

I don't really like Rap and most Pop.

It seems like a waste of time and money, expecially since I didn't wanna see most of the people I didn't like on a weekend.

The next day at school, people aksed me if I went to the prom.

conversation between me and a girl (or something like this):

Girl: Were you at the prom?

Me: They played the "Cha Cha Slide" and "Ain't No Mountain High", right?

Girl: You were there?

Me: Nope.

Girl: Then how do you know they played those songs?

Me: They always play those songs when something big happens, I hate those songs.