PDA

View Full Version : What are the odds?

JoY
06-05-2006, 12:39 AM
I just dropped my phone in a glass of water.

again; I dropped.. my phone.. in a glass of water..

WHAT?! THE?! FUCK?!
:( :(

T-6005
06-05-2006, 12:42 AM
That would depend on the size of the glass.

And that really sucks.

JoY
06-05-2006, 12:47 AM
it's a regular waterglass. just small, normal.

I wanted to lay my phone next to the bed, so like I always do, I held my arm out & dropped it. suddenly I hear something sounding like, "blob". I look down & see my purple phone captured in a glass that's almost the same size, just a bit bigger. so I pull it out, laughing like hell, discovering it'd died. while slapping my thighs with laughter, screaming my phone had died from a glass of water, my boyfriend suddenly says; "you just lost all your pictures & phonenumbers" & then I pouted. :(

T-6005
06-05-2006, 12:49 AM
I've only lost the use of a phone once - and that was because I actually lost it. It's quite annoying, and I know I was sad to see my pictures go.

But it allowed me to get a better one and filter out my list of phone numbers.

Tizzalicious
06-05-2006, 01:11 AM
Oh man, that sucks =/

I once drowned mine too.

I just realised that's how my Nokia died, the one I wanted to give to Per, no wonder it didn't work anymore. I wonder why I kept it. I put it in a bucket of water in the pocket of my pants when I handwashed them. Smartz.

Vera
06-05-2006, 01:16 AM
lolz blond.

My mum had a Bella moment the other day. We were driving to a restaurant and my dad asks, "So where do we get in?", referring to which side of the building has the entrance. And my mum goes, "Through the door."

And Paris is a city.

JoY
06-05-2006, 01:39 AM
OMG LOST TWIN MOMENT!!!!!!!

yeah, I mean, it can't hurt to state the overly obvious every now & then. right?

Tizz, not so smaartje. ;P but nothing can beat dropping your phone in a glass of water. I'm still so wtfed over this. wtf!

Demon_of_Debauchery
06-05-2006, 01:47 AM
Before my phone went through the washing machine in my trousers pocket but luckily I managed to dry it out and it still works

Sin Studly
06-05-2006, 01:48 AM
My phone got eaten by a dragon once.

JoY
06-05-2006, 01:52 AM
Before my phone went through the washing machine in my trousers pocket but luckily I managed to dry it out and it still works
I'm just hoping mine will still be working too, once I've dried it on the heating. but it already had a software error from taking it into the shower, which caused it to hang up by itself all the time during conversations (rather annoying), so I doubt he'll survive a dive in my waterglass.

SkunkIt
06-05-2006, 02:34 AM
My phone got lost in a mosh pit once and got stomped on. Someone found it and it still works. It wasn't smart to take a phone in a mosh pit in the first place, but oh well, I learned my lesson.

JoY
06-05-2006, 02:41 AM
I'd rather take my phone in a mosh pit than in the shower. man, do I ever learn? this kind of stupid shit ALWAYS happens to me & couldn't happen to any other. even my friends don't trust me with anything, because before you know it, I'll leave their housekey in the toiletsink, their elastic bands in the refridgerator & their cellphones in.. well, who knows - maybe a glass of water.

HornyPope
06-05-2006, 02:44 AM
lolz blond.

My mum had a Bella moment the other day. We were driving to a restaurant and my dad asks, "So where do we get in?", referring to which side of the building has the entrance. And my mum goes, "Through the door."

And Paris is a city.

Hah! Hah! Hah!

JoY
06-05-2006, 02:52 AM
oh humorous bundle of sunshine, was that sarcasm?

SkunkIt
06-05-2006, 02:53 AM
I'd rather take my phone in a mosh pit than in the shower. man, do I ever learn? this kind of stupid shit ALWAYS happens to me & couldn't happen to any other. even my friends don't trust me with anything, because before you know it, I'll leave their housekey in the toiletsink, their elastic bands in the refridgerator & their cellphones in.. well, who knows - maybe a glass of water.

That's kind of what I do, I break something almost every other week. Two days ago, I broke a serving dish and a crystal bowl. I break everything. I think I've broken at least five things this month.

DexterWannabe
06-05-2006, 03:01 AM
i always broke my phones, i've had like 12 now this year!

JoY
06-05-2006, 03:09 AM
That's kind of what I do, I break something almost every other week. Two days ago, I broke a serving dish and a crystal bowl. I break everything. I think I've broken at least five things this month.
I break everything that comes on my way, but NEVER something that's important to me. like my phone. that's stuff that always either gets stolen, or 'stolen'. (in which case I lose/forget it somewhere)

Llamas
06-05-2006, 03:11 AM
...you have gotten me curious as to why the hell you brought your phone into the shower. I mean, it must have been in your hand, which means it was consciously brought in... unless you, like, keep your phone behind your ear... or wear pants with pockets in the shower. :p

JoY
06-05-2006, 03:13 AM
good question. I guess I have no rational explanation, except that I was expecting a phone call.

:o

Llamas
06-05-2006, 03:21 AM
wow, you really make me fear for humanity :p I guess it's not too much worse than my friend from highschool who had really long thick curly hair, and she put a key behind her ear one day and left it there. Later that evening, she took a shower and freaked out when a key fell out of her hair- she couldn't remember at all where it came from.

At least it was a key, though, and not a phone. And it was an accident. That's hilarious... but dropping it right in a cup of water just plain sucks!

JoY
06-05-2006, 03:59 AM
I just put it on the central heating. it's barely doing anything for my phone, because there's no water in the central heating, so grr. I see some tiny drops on the screen though, so that suggests it's drying up somewhat. let's hope it isn't chipdead, or whatever.

about the part where I took it "for a shower"; I may be blonde & I may have my weak moments intellectually, but I didn't actually TAKE it UNDER the shower, making phonecalls and such. I just took it into the bathroom, which consisted mainly of a shower those days, put it somewhere on a relatively "dry" spot, then my phone rang & I kept my head outside the shower when picking up the phone. see? I don't think the mist & wet hair helped & they did cause a software error that was annoying beyond anything, but that still doesn't mean I would actually take my phone UNDER the shower to make phonecalls. pretty similar, but not quite that.

Llamas
06-05-2006, 04:08 AM
haha, okay, I seriously actually thought you took it in the shower... not just in the bathroom :p that's much less crazy.

belen1979
06-05-2006, 08:31 AM
Joy, you're not alone...

Few years ago I went to the bathroom, I had my phone in the back pocket of my trousers. I pulled down my trousers and it went down into the W.C. (Thanks God, the water was clean... =S ) So, you're not alone... And my phone, after drying it carefully, worked fine again.

Oh, and a friend of mine did that thing of taking it under the shower...

Andy
06-05-2006, 08:50 AM
I dropped a phone into a pint of Guinness once. It was completely fucked. Thank fuck it wasn't mine!

belen1979
06-05-2006, 08:53 AM
Hahaha, now I remember that a friend of mine dropped it in a cup of coffee. It seems almost impossible, but I can tell you it really happened. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it. It was hard to believe even though... We thought he made it on purpose, but he was really anoyed...

JoY
06-05-2006, 09:18 AM
I dropped a phone into a pint of Guinness once. It was completely fucked. Thank fuck it wasn't mine!
ouch?

at first I turned around again, because I didn't look where I'd tossed my phone too. then it hit me that my phone normally makes such a sound when hitting the floor. I rolled back to check & then found it in my glass. like fake teeth, or something. it looked so.. strange. pretty funny at first, but now I'm.. like.. phoneless. *sigh*

Paint_It_Black
06-05-2006, 09:43 AM
I once dropped someone's phone into a pot of boiling water. It was semi-intentional. I ended up buying them a new one, and then after a week or two the old one just started working again.

sKratch
06-05-2006, 10:02 AM
My friend once dropped his cell phone into the toilet after he took a piss in high school during lunch. Instead of retrieving it (I believei t was already flushed so it wasn't piss water), he came into the cafeteria flabergasted and told us what happened. We all told him he was an idiot and should have taken it out right away.

JoY
06-05-2006, 12:01 PM
we're talking pots, toilets, but a glass of fucking water?

I'm obviously still not over this. certainly not after I put it on the central heating & my roommate calls me up to say never to put it on the central heating. that's useful information. ABOUT FIVE HOURS AGO.

would it look weird if I pulled out my hair?

Vera
06-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Hah! Hah! Hah!
STFU, I bring teh funnies. :(

killer_queen
06-05-2006, 12:50 PM
I've always protected my phones from water and toilets but once a friend, a disgusting friend of mine licked my phone for 20 minutes. So I stopped using that phone because it was impossible to wash it. I was going to buy a new phone anyway, it wasn't so sad for me but I felt sorry when ups didn't accept to send it to Per.

sKratch
06-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Um did you friend realize how gross it was for him or her to lick your phone, because phones are most likely filthy?

Endymion
06-05-2006, 01:17 PM
i fell i a pool once... it sucked. my phone was trashed, but the little card dealy was still good.

ofsmurfsandpixies
06-05-2006, 01:20 PM
i fell in a pool with my phone too.....it still worked,just dialled emergency services every 10 mins or so...

killer_queen
06-05-2006, 01:20 PM
Um did you friend realize how gross it was for him or her to lick your phone, because phones are most likely filthy?
He didn't even find eating the candies which I took out of my mouth disgusting. It would have been a little weird if I expected him to find a cell phone gross.

0r4ng3
06-05-2006, 01:23 PM
I once dropped my phone in the pool (or rather, I forgot to take it out of the pocket of my swim trunks before jumping in), but after it dried, it was fully functional again.

the_GoDdEsS
06-05-2006, 01:24 PM
Some people test their phones here by throwing them against the wall. I've heard... and seen.

Vera
06-05-2006, 01:29 PM
Fucking idiots. No modern phone is fit for that. Some of the late 1990's phones could handle being run over by a car but the new phones are so fragile and tiny. I'm super-worried I'll ever drop my new from more than one foot.

0r4ng3
06-05-2006, 01:30 PM
That's not necessarily true. My new Nokia (not the aforementioned one, I lost that one at a movie theater) is pretty tough, and it's relatively new.

the_GoDdEsS
06-05-2006, 01:31 PM
Haha, we call the old ones "bricks". Some would survive being run over by a car. But the types kids get nowadays with all their fucking superfluous options, just to be able to flash it at their friends and be "in". Yes, those break into pieces. As they should. Fucking retard kids.

Endymion
06-05-2006, 01:33 PM
yeah, my nokia (got it... two years ago?) has been dropped many a time and it's in fine condition.

http://www.csulb.edu/~rjames/classic/1112165250002.jpg
http://www.csulb.edu/~rjames/classic/1127358447181.jpg
http://www.csulb.edu/~rjames/classic/1135836084326.jpg
http://www.csulb.edu/~rjames/classic/1144302948042.gif

0r4ng3
06-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Oh, those phones. Mine is pretty basic, and it cost about $50.

sKratch
06-05-2006, 01:41 PM
Mmm... the top picture wins my face.

Vera
06-05-2006, 01:43 PM
My new one is a 6060 (http://images.google.fi/images?hl=fi&q=nokia%206060&btnG=Google-haku&sa=N&tab=wi) ..

My old one wasn't exactly trashed but the colour screen got all messed up because every time it fell, the covers fell off and so the screen got dust and dirt all over it. Also, the covers eventually broke and wouldn't close properly. That one was a 2600: http://www.nokia.fi/puhelimet/puhelinmallit/2600/

OMG I'm so embarrassed, that one was DESIGNED FOR BEGINNERS. Hahaha.

Izie
06-05-2006, 01:58 PM
My new one is a 6060 (http://images.google.fi/images?hl=fi&q=nokia%206060&btnG=Google-haku&sa=N&tab=wi)

<3 Nokias that fold.

I got a gay 2650 (http://www.nokia.be/uk/phones/PhoneModels/2650/index.html), except mine is red. YAY pretties!

Rag Doll
06-05-2006, 02:02 PM
my old phone just randomly stopped working, supposedly from water damage. but i have no clue how it came in contact with water?? i just had to buy a new phone and lost everyyyything =(

sKratch
06-05-2006, 02:07 PM
When I bought my new phone the sprint store was like lolz we don't have the software here to transfer your numbers, so here's a printout of them. Have fun!!!
I hated putting them all back in manually :[ Needless to say, I skipped out on the people I don't talk to much.

Vera
06-05-2006, 02:08 PM
<3 Nokias that fold.
I'm digging the whole folding thing, yeah. With the old one I had to unlock the keyboard before I got to see what time it was, but with this one, I just un-fold it a certain amount and I get to see time instantly because it turns on all the lights.

On the other hand I've not yet mastered opening it with just one hand so right now this thing isn't exactly making my life easier.

The game selection is nice, though, I can play Solitaire on the subway and I could order some other games, like Tetris or whatever. :)

wheelchairman
06-05-2006, 02:13 PM
I got a 3310 about a month ago. It is my first phone. A gift from a palestinian, the sim card was a gift from an israeli, but it works fine together!

Izie
06-05-2006, 02:17 PM
I'm digging the whole folding thing, yeah. With the old one I had to unlock the keyboard before I got to see what time it was, but with this one, I just un-fold it a certain amount and I get to see time instantly because it turns on all the lights.

Yah, but I've been told that the folding is bad, as in, if you open them too often they can loosen up some wires inside and go poof :/ I have unpractical taste :(

And I don't think I've ever played a game on my phone, haha.

skiddles824
06-05-2006, 02:20 PM
one time my moms cell went though the washer and dryer. so we left it in the closet for 2 days and it still worked!!

sKratch
06-05-2006, 02:20 PM
I only have like 2 friends who broke their flip phones, and it wasn't due to opening and closing them too often. COMMUNIST LIES IN EASTERN EUROPE!!! They're just jealous.

Just a Girl
06-05-2006, 02:25 PM
my nokia 3310 was wonderful, you could smashy bashy it and it still worked. if you flip my new phone closed too hard it turns off. stupid thing. new phones are so flimsy.

Paint_It_Black
06-05-2006, 03:38 PM
I got a 3310 about a month ago. It is my first phone. A gift from a palestinian, the sim card was a gift from an israeli, but it works fine together!

That's fucking beautiful. It should be an inspiration to us all.

Andy
06-05-2006, 03:41 PM
smashy bashy
I think I've just fallen in love.

Idiot
06-05-2006, 03:48 PM

I remember having one of those about 3 or 4 years ago!

Just a Girl
06-05-2006, 04:04 PM

of course, i'm adorable

JoY
06-05-2006, 04:05 PM
I remember having one of those about 3 or 4 years ago!
four years ago for me. last year of high school. I lost it during an exam - I had more important stuff in my mind & probably left it somewhere in the hallway. after that one I waited a while to get a new one. at some point I got one of a friend of my mom, who apparently has one for every day of the week. yeah. then it broke, then I got one from my grandmother, then I left that one in the train & eventually I bought a new one, which got stolen out of a guarded wardrobe. after that I borrowed an old gigantic unit from my mom that was out of use, but it didn't even fit into a backpack. when that one broke down, I borrowed one from a friend for a while & because I would need to give it back at some point & need my own phone I got this one. which I dropped in a glass of water.

me & phones. great combination.
I've tried insurances, by the way, but even the most expensive don't cover the idiotic stuff that happens to my phones.

Idiot
06-05-2006, 04:21 PM
I spent pretty much all my money at the time on the 3310 and then like a month or so after, I got GIVEN one. Can you imagine my mixture of feeling intensely annoyed yet chuffed I got another one?

Preocupado
06-05-2006, 04:36 PM
<3 Nokias that fold.

I got a gay 2650 (http://www.nokia.be/uk/phones/PhoneModels/2650/index.html), except mine is red. YAY pretties!

My friend has that one and calls it Always - reference to the female absorbent.

sKratch
06-05-2006, 07:47 PM
Yeah get in line dude.

Tizzalicious
06-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Fucking idiots. No modern phone is fit for that. Some of the late 1990's phones could handle being run over by a car but the new phones are so fragile and tiny. I'm super-worried I'll ever drop my new from more than one foot.

Mine has actually survived quite a lot. I dropped it at least 4 times the last 4 weeks (on stone, even), and nothing happened. Of course this is right after I decided I wanted my contract proonged with discount instead of a free new phone, so everytime it happens I think: "Oh damn, noez, the odds!" But nope, it keeps working! Gotta love my tiny sumsung <3 It will never be replaced.

sKratch
06-05-2006, 10:42 PM
The problem with a lot of older samsungs is that they (at least the ones I had) require you to use the internet to send texts, where you can't use your contacts list. Led to a lot of frustration. I just got one this fall that has normal texting.

Betty
06-05-2006, 11:13 PM
I love how when people are bored they pull out their phones to attempt to look busy as they just scroll through random menus before closing them again. Bah.

And I still love the bacon picture.

Preocupado
06-05-2006, 11:15 PM
I do that a lot.

a lot

Vera
06-05-2006, 11:52 PM
Yah, but I've been told that the folding is bad, as in, if you open them too often they can loosen up some wires inside and go poof :/ I have unpractical taste :(
Dude, WTF. So if I *use* my phone it'll break? At least I got guarantee on this thing.. Now let's hope it either lasts a forever or breaks within a year. ;)

Betty, that's nothing. I've faked phone calls just to avoid talking to certain people. I am fucking great at faking phone calls. It's like When Harry Met Sally if Sally had gotten sick of Harry's crap at a diner and had a cell phone with her.

Izie
06-06-2006, 12:19 AM
Dude, WTF. So if I *use* my phone it'll break? At least I got guarantee on this thing.. Now let's hope it either lasts a forever or breaks within a year. ;)

Well, so some dudes in a phone store told me. It also makes sense, they're just more prone to breaking. Blagh, and now I'm hooked and I keep wanting phones that fold. Gruff!

I've faked phone calls just to avoid talking to certain people. I am fucking great at faking phone calls. It's like When Harry Met Sally if Sally had gotten sick of Harry's crap at a diner and had a cell phone with her.

Faking phonecalls, sms, whichever, I must have done it. I get stuck with people I don't like faaaaar too often. Very gay.

Sometimes I'll actually send an sms to someone, mostly in the form on CALL ME NOW PLS KTHXBI. Yah. Evil :/

Llamas
06-06-2006, 01:00 AM
I haven't done anything potentially dangerous to my phone. I drop it occassionally, so I bought a case for it... but other than that, my phone is pretty free of wear. I have a flip phone, and the flip part is weak. I have a feeling it'll lose its spring pretty quickly, but it's made it this far (got it last sept.) Phones are made so poorly... but of course they are, those phone companies just don't make enough money otherwise!

JoY
06-06-2006, 02:02 AM
My friend has that one and calls it Always - reference to the female absorbent.
everyone does that.

JoY
06-06-2006, 02:04 AM
Mine has actually survived quite a lot. I dropped it at least 4 times the last 4 weeks (on stone, even), and nothing happened. Of course this is right after I decided I wanted my contract proonged with discount instead of a free new phone, so everytime it happens I think: "Oh damn, noez, the odds!" But nope, it keeps working! Gotta love my tiny sumsung <3 It will never be replaced.
SUMSUNG!!<333333

but.. you can prolong your contract with discount?
wow, if I'd known that.. I still would've chosen the phone, as it was stolen last time. right.

JoY
06-06-2006, 02:10 AM
Betty, that's nothing. I've faked phone calls just to avoid talking to certain people. I am fucking great at faking phone calls. It's like When Harry Met Sally if Sally had gotten sick of Harry's crap at a diner and had a cell phone with her.
oh, I've done *that*. mainly when I was driving home alone late in the dark & felt uneasy. I imagine people would leave me alone sooner if I'm on the phone & could scream at any time that I need help, where I am, what's happening, what someone looks like, etcetera.

Izie, I'm totally in love with phones that fold too. nothing else for me. the first phone I actually got myself (three years ago) was a (folding) metalic Samsung, the first with colourscreen, better sound/music & so on. I fell in love. when it was stolen only a few weeks later, I was heartbroken. since I had a contract of two years, I had to wait two years, untill I could take a new one when prolonging my contract. so, as you know, now I have the ladyphone in purple & it rawx!

oh, forgot to bring the good news; my phone, it's alive! I dreamt I could turn it on again, but that it still wasn't working well. then, when I woke up, I felt that if I'd turn on my phone it wouldn't work well, so I waited a few hours, turned it on & it worked just fine!