PDA

View Full Version : What came first, the chicken or the egg?

0r4ng3
06-05-2006, 07:25 PM
Apparently, a team of a geneticist, a philosipher, and a chicken farmer have finally found the answer. Personally, I knew for a few years already.

http://www.shoutwire.com/viewstory/14638/What_Came_First_Chicken_or_Egg_Solved

Tired_Of_You
06-05-2006, 07:30 PM
"eggsperts" .shut.up.

Endymion
06-05-2006, 07:37 PM
i'm sure it wasn't "just solved." anyone in high school biology knows that reproduction is when genetic change happens, and genetic change defines a species. thus, when the first organism to have DNA equal to what we would call a chicken came into being, it must have been as the product of reproduction of non-chickens (whatever they may be) and it would have been in the form of an egg. it's as stupid as asking "what came first, the fetus or the adult human body?" well shit, the adult human body *must* have come from a fetus, the must the fetus have come from an adult human body? no, it came from whatever species humans evolved from.

sk8ter-hater
06-05-2006, 07:43 PM
"Friday, May 26, 2006"
Evolution, bitch-slapped.

Paint_It_Black
06-05-2006, 07:45 PM
well shit, the adult human body *must* have come from a fetus

I know many religious folks who would heartily disagree. Unfortunately.

And yes. The egg came first, and it should have been fairly obvious to most people. I hope.

kamikaze
06-05-2006, 08:16 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/afisoadnin/the-chicken-and-the-egg.jpg

- Cheers. IF.

el_monkey
06-06-2006, 09:19 AM
hm... it was the chicken, inside the egg obviously.

sKratch
06-06-2006, 10:43 AM
really shouldn't have been a dificult conclusion to reach...

ninthlayer
06-06-2006, 11:53 AM
I know many religious folks who would heartily disagree. Unfortunately.
Yes, because religious people do not believe that humans come from fetuses. Welcome to non-conformity.

Paint_It_Black
06-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Yes, because religious people do not believe that humans come from fetuses. Welcome to non-conformity.

Think of Adam and Eve then try reading my post again.

ninthlayer
06-06-2006, 12:04 PM
You said nothing of first humans, but quoted Endy as saying that adult humans (as a whole) come from fetuses. GG with the religious angst though.

mrconeman
06-06-2006, 12:07 PM
I realised that myself, when I was like 14, anyone who couldnt come to that conclusion is a moron.

Andy
06-06-2006, 01:45 PM
I couldn't care less.

Apathy
06-06-2006, 02:14 PM
I always thought it made more sense that the first chicken evolved from some lower life form, then made the first chicken egg.

sKratch
06-06-2006, 02:29 PM
I always thought it made more sense that the first chicken evolved from some lower life form, then made the first chicken egg.
Um... evolved how, by appearing out of nowhere?

I don't know
06-06-2006, 02:41 PM
my fucking biology teacher talked about it today, what a coincidence,hehe

noodlesfan
06-06-2006, 04:27 PM
actually the chicken came first, the egg hasn't developed testicles yet, so the chicken got a good head start

Nineteen Seventy Nine
06-06-2006, 04:55 PM

Like how giraffe's evolved to be how tall they are. They started out as horses, but then nature gradually made selection and forced all the shorter horses to die until there were only tall ones left (by making the trees with food a higher elevation).

I think he meant by forming from some sort of other bird or resptile, since birds evolved from dinosaurs.

Which makes me think: Dinosaurs produced eggs when there weren't even chickens around. Doesn't that mean the egg came before the chicken?

Apathy
06-06-2006, 05:14 PM

You obviously didn't read my post.
I clearly stated "from some lower life form"

HeadAroundU
06-06-2006, 05:16 PM
Like how giraffe's evolved to be how tall they are. They started out as horses, but then nature gradually made selection and forced all the shorter horses to die until there were only tall ones left (by making the trees with food a higher elevation).

I think he meant by forming from some sort of other bird or resptile, since birds evolved from dinosaurs.

Which makes me think: Dinosaurs produced eggs when there weren't even chickens around. Doesn't that mean the egg came before the chicken?
What came first, the dinosaur or dinosaur's egg? :confused:

Andy
06-06-2006, 05:22 PM
Bono......

no_way
06-06-2006, 05:39 PM
I always ask my friends that, so that we've got something to discuss :P. Now it's just all over. No more mystery. You're so mean!! :rolleyes:

Endymion
06-06-2006, 06:16 PM
be really careful with stuff like that. that's elementry school shit. if you wanted to make an argument like that it would be better to say that 'horses' with slightly longer necks were more likely to survive to pass on their genes, thus promoting the slightly longer neck.

You obviously didn't read my post.
I clearly stated "from some lower life form"
you're not thinking. this first chicken, how was it born? did it develop in an egg before hatching? if so, how was it *not* a chicken while developing in the egg, but then became a chicken upon hatching?

DeAtHsTaR
06-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Apparently, a team of a geneticist, a philosipher, and a chicken farmer have finally found the answer. Personally, I knew for a few years already.

http://www.shoutwire.com/viewstory/14638/What_Came_First_Chicken_or_Egg_Solved
Wow... there's like 4 boards I know of that must've ripped this thread off of you.

TheUnholyNightbringer
06-06-2006, 07:09 PM
See, Dain, it's things like THAT that make us carry on at you.

DeAtHsTaR
06-06-2006, 07:13 PM
See, Dain, it's things like THAT that make us carry on at you.
What? It's obvious that if anything is on any board, and was on here first, it was plagiarized from here. Quite odd as news stories are public domain, but whatever.

edit: I would like to congratulate in advance the first person who tells me to stop breathing/die/put on a helmet for his/her originality.

TheUnholyNightbringer
06-06-2006, 07:15 PM
I don't want you to do any of that. Just stop. You're not funny.

Endymion
06-06-2006, 07:17 PM
What? It's obvious that if anything is on any board, and was on here first, it was plagiarized from here. Quite odd as news stories are public domain, but whatever.
did you miss the part where orange cited his source of this information? he didn't copy the entire article into a post and fail to place any sort of credit about its original author.

DeAtHsTaR
06-06-2006, 07:21 PM
did you miss the part where orange cited his source of this information? he didn't copy the entire article into a post and fail to place any sort of credit about its original author.
Actually, even when I have linked a post, you people have accused me of plagiarizing it.

TheUnholyNightbringer
06-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Didn't link it when you posted it though. And you edited it once we found you out.

Stop lying and trying to defend yourself. Admit you're a lying plagirising git. Go on.

0r4ng3
06-06-2006, 07:49 PM
I have no problem with the plagiarizing. It's just that recently, he's become the Plagiarizing Police. That's like, me search through threads, going "lol you apologized for making fun of someone."

TheUnholyNightbringer
06-06-2006, 07:50 PM
Actually, I hadn't noticed, but you're right. I don't know if he's trying to justify his past plagirising or what, but he's certainly doing that.

All About Eve
06-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Dave, you're plagirizing! That was Jesse's conclusion!

TheUnholyNightbringer
06-06-2006, 07:58 PM
Yeah, well, you didn't invent every word in your username. Fuck you.

All About Eve
06-06-2006, 07:59 PM
We're all going to hell :(

TheUnholyNightbringer
06-06-2006, 08:00 PM
Yep, we're all going to hell*.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell

All About Eve
06-06-2006, 08:04 PM
It's (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=it%27s) going (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=going) to (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=to) be (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=be) hot (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=hot) .

0r4ng3
06-06-2006, 08:08 PM
What (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What) the (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/the) fuck? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/fuck)

JohnnyNemesis
06-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Actually, even when I have linked a post, you people have accused me of plagiarizing it.

Seriously, what the FUCK is wrong with you? Are you THAT retarded?!

DeAtHsTaR
06-06-2006, 09:46 PM
Didn't link it when you posted it though. And you edited it once we found you out.

Stop lying and trying to defend yourself. Admit you're a lying plagirising git. Go on.
I already admitted to stealing that one rant 5 MONTHS AGO.

JohnnyNemesis
06-06-2006, 09:59 PM
I already admitted to stealing that one rant 5 MONTHS AGO.

...before stealing a series of threads without crediting anyone immediately afterwards.

Stop being so fucking stupid. Don't make me beg.

DeAtHsTaR
06-06-2006, 10:02 PM
Stop being so fucking stupid. Don't make me beg.
Why change? No one would notice.

JohnnyNemesis
06-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Yeah, we would. Even if we didn't forgive, we'd notice a change in you from mind-numbingly stupid to reasonably intelligent.

Don't this into a case of "evaluations". No matter what we think of you, you're still fucking stupid. The fact that you're a thief and a liar just makes it easier to find you annoying, that's all.

DeAtHsTaR
06-06-2006, 10:08 PM
Don't this into a case
What? .

JohnnyNemesis
06-06-2006, 10:10 PM
*sigh*

I accidentally forgot a word. A second longer of thought, and you'd have probably understood what I meant, but meh, I'll help you out:

"Don't this into a case of "evaluations". No matter what we think of you, you're still fucking stupid. The fact that you're a thief and a liar just makes it easier to find you annoying, that's all."

DeAtHsTaR
06-06-2006, 10:29 PM
*sigh*

I accidentally forgot a word. A second longer of thought, and you'd have probably understood what I meant, but meh, I'll help you out:

"Don't this into a case of "evaluations". No matter what we think of you, you're still fucking stupid. The fact that you're a thief and a liar just makes it easier to find you annoying, that's all."
You just posted the same sentence again. I'm guessing you mean "Don't turn this into a case."

JohnnyNemesis
06-06-2006, 10:39 PM
And it took you a half hour to make that guess. Well done!

Paint_It_Black
06-06-2006, 11:29 PM
You said nothing of first humans, but quoted Endy as saying that adult humans (as a whole) come from fetuses. GG with the religious angst though.

My point was obvious, I didn't expect people would need it spelled out for them. There was absolutely nothing else I could have meant.

Religious angst? Uh, ok.

WebDudette
06-06-2006, 11:53 PM
I always assumed the egg came first. It always seemed to be the only logical answer to me.

Llamas
06-07-2006, 12:23 AM
nobody here seems to be thinking back far enough. Evolution doesn't start with things that lay eggs. Evolution starts with protozoa. They evolved into multicellular animals... and then the ones with radial bisymmetry split off, leaving those with bilateral to continue on. That's when it gets interesting. After that split it when worms come into place, and some worms are the first animals that reproduced by eggs. Before worms, things reproduced primarily by asexual reproduction, such as budding. Therefore, the platyhelminthes worm (the first bilaterally symmetric species that we currently have knowledge of) does not reproduce with eggs... but nematoda and rotifera do. Platyhelminthes evolved into Nematoda and Rotifera, and THEN they started reproducing using eggs. It's blurry, because there's no specifically distinct line as to when one species is officially different from what it evolved from, so it's hard to put a line where eggs became the form of reproduction. However, the egg reproduction would have occurred most likely shortly after platyhelminthes could no longer produce fertile offspring with what would later be known as nematoda and rotifera.

Therefore, by my thoughts, I always thought the "chicken came first".

DeAtHsTaR
06-07-2006, 08:40 AM
And it took you a half hour to make that guess. Well done!

I'm not constantly on this site, you know. I was making a new myspace layout.

Endymion
06-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Therefore, by my thoughts, I always thought the "chicken came first".
yeah, except we're talking about chickens, not ringworms and alge.

Jakebert
06-07-2006, 09:31 AM
I'm not constantly on this site, you know. I was making a new myspace layout.

Wait guys, he was on Myspace, he's obviously cooler than us.

grunge
06-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Dude, you know, I don't care

sKratch
06-07-2006, 11:36 AM
grunge who's that in your avatar?

Andy
06-07-2006, 11:37 AM
D'uh, don't you know anything? It's the guy from Puddle of Mudd.

0r4ng3
06-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Didn't they break up early last year, after that self-titled album?

Ocupation: Offspring
06-07-2006, 02:14 PM
I Knew the egg came first! but ppl dont listen to the fat kid

Nineteen Seventy Nine
06-07-2006, 02:35 PM
be really careful with stuff like that. that's elementry school shit. if you wanted to make an argument like that it would be better to say that 'horses' with slightly longer necks were more likely to survive to pass on their genes, thus promoting the slightly longer neck.

I'll remember that. I wrote it in simpler terms just so the other lower life forms on this board comprehend better.

Paint_It_Black
06-07-2006, 02:56 PM
D'uh, don't you know anything? It's the guy from Puddle of Mudd.

I thought it was Colin Farrell.

sk8ter-hater
06-07-2006, 04:44 PM
Umm... when was the chicken called a chicken? I mean, evolution occurs slowly. When is an animal considered a different animal as it evolves?

Isolated Fury
06-07-2006, 04:48 PM
This argument is restricted to chickens and only chickens.

Llamas
06-07-2006, 08:53 PM
yeah, except we're talking about chickens, not ringworms and alge.
yeah, except the point was that the animal comes before the egg by that logic. The question is not supposed to be strictly exclusive to chickens...

Umm... when was the chicken called a chicken? I mean, evolution occurs slowly. When is an animal considered a different animal as it evolves? there are two definitions for species. One is the BSC and the other is the PSC. The BSC defines species as groups of organisms that can mate within their population AND produce fertile offspring (being reproductively isolated), but not within any other species. By that definition, as soon as one animal can't mate and produce fertile offspring with another, they're considered different species.

The phylogenetic species concept (PSC) says that diagnosable geographic forms of the same basic "kind" of animal should be treated as distinct species. This is because these forms have evolved separately, and have unique evolutionary histories. The PSC is gaining favor because there is no worry about whether slightly-different geeographic forms might interbreed. If they don't, for whatever reason (for example, migration to different breeding areas), they are full species. Obviously, the PSC is less restrictive than the the BSC. There would be many more species of organisms under the PSC than under the BSC. Obviously, under the PSC, it's a lot harder to discern when one species becomes another. In that case, it's more up to scientists/evolutionists to determine what attributes make a species.

Personally, I like the idea behind the PSC, but it just seems too complicated for now. Hopefully in time they'll refine it enough where it'll make more sense.