PDA

View Full Version : The Official World Cup Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

arak0r
06-08-2006, 12:33 AM
I know theres a soccer thread, but its a bit old, and it obviously isnt an Official World Cup thread.

I'll start this off with teams I'll be following, teams I think will do good, and teams I think will choke horribly, aside from teams I'm following)

Following: Italy, the US, Poland
Teams that will do good: Ivory Coast, Sweden, Togo, Mexico
Teams that will choke horribly: Spain, Germany, France, Czech Republic

Tbh, I have no real reason for Togo doing good. For Mexico and Sweden, they have relatively easy groups. Sweden DOES play England, but I think theyre an absolute lock for second place in the group at least, and will prolly play Poland or Germany in the second round. Ivory Coast I think will shock either Argentina or the Netherlands and get to the second round.

Well.. Spain always chokes. Germany is the weakest they have been in years, and their best player (imo) is injured. France, is aging, and also the weakest theyve been in years. Cisse fucking his leg up certainly doesnt help. The Czech Republic relies heavily on Pavel Nedved. Theyre in the group of death, and personally its a toss up between them and the US for second imho, and I think the US can take them out.

the_offsprings_monkey
06-08-2006, 12:35 AM
I think England will do well, but one of our best players will fuck up and we'll go out in the semi-finals.

Sin Studly
06-08-2006, 12:41 AM
You obsess over sports quite a lot, for a fat fuck.

Nina
06-08-2006, 01:01 AM
I agree that Germany will do vveerry bad. I cant say a lot about the other teams because I am not so big on sports, but I am informed when it comes to the German soccer team :P
Ballack is going to play, though. That's at least what he said he'd do.

arak0r
06-08-2006, 01:19 AM
he prolly will play, though i hear he is in doubt for the first game against costa rica.

Vera
06-08-2006, 01:25 AM
Czech is fucking ace, I'm hoping for good things. Nedved is not their only brilliant player, they have loads of young, promising players, too. Overall top team. Euro 2004, hello.

But there's no way of predicting this shit. Germany doesn't have much a chance, though. Neither does France but Les Bleus always has a place in my heart, anyway.

Hope Brazil doesn't absolutely dominate again, that'd just be boring, though Brazil does play an awesome sort of footie, very energetic and good to watch.

arak0r
06-08-2006, 01:28 AM
last i checked greece won it in 2004 :P

Vera
06-08-2006, 02:01 AM
Did you watch any of the games? Greece was a success of one man and one man only - the coach. And their game? SUCKED. Boring, uber-defensive football and no offence, except they somehow always managed to score a goal per game - the goal with which they won the match.

It annoyed the fuck out of me. Czech? Didn't lose a fucking game except the one against Greece, that assfuck of a team.

Also, the final? Portugal was SABOTAGED. I say fuck moral victories but it certainly was one for Portugal AND for Czech.

So glad Greece isn't in this one because it shows what they are - a shooting star, here one minute, gone the next. Talent? Not really.

Again, everyone who watched Euro 2004 games would come out saying that while Greece won, Czech was the strongest team overall.

Andy
06-08-2006, 02:09 AM
France are a little bit screwed: Cisse has broken ANOTHER leg. Ha.

Cisse: out for most of 04/05 with a broken left leg, comes back spectacularily, becomes France's top scorer of 2006....Breaks his right leg 10 minutes into their last friendly. Gutted.

ROONEY IS HEALTHY!!!! Oh man, I can't tell you all how good it feels to be an Englishman and to hear that Ronney'll be ready for the World Cup. Granted, he's out of match practice, but that matters not!

Rocky-girl
06-08-2006, 02:35 AM
I'm not a big football fan, but I always try to watch World Cup. Well, my country is bad in this sport, they are walkers with ball, so I always support(?) German football. I hope they will win competition!

'ave it!!!
06-08-2006, 04:09 AM
as much as it kills me to say this.......Germany will do well, theyre the hosts, hosts ALWAYS do well, unless England meet them in the 2nd round then we'll beat them on penalties

apart from england, ill be rooting for Iran and the Aussies, and the African teams seeing as theyve never played in the world cup before (apart from tunisia)

Andy
06-08-2006, 04:14 AM
unless England meet them in the 2nd round then we'll beat them on penalties
Erm......You're still talking about England, right? The chances of us beating anyone, let alone Germany, on pens is highly doubtful. Especially after the last couple of games.

ermdevi@tion
06-08-2006, 04:18 AM
France - out in the first round again perhaps?

Looking for someone like Ukraine, Sweeden or Serbia to do well. Serbia would be a good bet, I'd say - only one goal conceded in ten qualifying games. Fire the ball into the 6ft 8" striker. Very Greek.

And what about Iran? They have the number one international striker of all time - Ali Daei!

DICKON
06-08-2006, 04:28 AM
heart says england can get to atleast the semi's.

Every other part of my body (mentally and physically) says we are going to lose on penaltys against germany/argentina with a swiss ref and will have a goal disallowed and we'll be using it as an excuse for years to come.

Tizzalicious
06-08-2006, 04:33 AM
I'm a crazy nationalist, so I'm proud that I live in Denmark (a fierce soccer nation), yet my country did better than them in the world cup (we're actually IN the world cup.)

Now we just need to kick Holland's ass.

- WCM

TheUnholyNightbringer
06-08-2006, 05:19 AM
Is Davids playing for Holland this year? I hope so, that dude had a wicked shot on him.

Dave's picks for greatness this year are Mexico, Czech Republic and England, hopefully.

Andy
06-08-2006, 05:21 AM
My potential suprise package is Poland.

Tijs
06-08-2006, 05:33 AM
My vote to (second) favorite team of the year will be Ivory Coast.

Is Davids playing for Holland this year? I hope so, that dude had a wicked shot on him.Nope, he's not in the team this time. And neither is my favorite; Roy Makaay.

platinumpt
06-08-2006, 05:55 AM
I honestly don't have that many expectations for this World Cup... my National Team is playing like shit (I'm not fooled by the recent victories on friendly matches... it's rather easy to win against lesser teams like Cabo Verde or Luxembourg), and the players on the best National Teams (Brasil, Netherlands, England) are either tired after a long season or injured.

I don't think Brasil will easily dominate this year's World Cup because of that. They have top class players, yes, but just check Ronaldinho or Caca's physical condition, for instance. Ronaldinho did an amazing season on Barcelona, but towards the end he was tired like hell, and wasn't able to play the same as in the beginning.

Teams like Mexico or the US have pretty good chances of moving forward, to the 1/8 finals, or even more. I hope Portugal will move along aswell, in theory we're in a group which isn't, definitely, one of the hardest (we're with Angola, Iran and Mexico), but after what happened with those motherfucking greeks (I'm glad they're out of the World Cup - it just proves the worthless piece of shit team they have and how lucky they were during the Euro), I'm not taking any chances.

Let's just have fun watching the show.

T-6005
06-08-2006, 06:05 AM
I have no doubt France will do crap, as usual. I wish they'd do well, but I doubt it'll happen. Cisse's out again - it sucks.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Netherlands play.

EDIT - Also looking forward to seeing Argentina.

Preocupado
06-08-2006, 07:22 AM
I have no idea on what to expect against Argentina, except for a very strong team. This year theyr clubs won practically all the games against brazilian clubs.

Platinumpt, do you guys have the official team confirmed already?

Andy
06-08-2006, 08:02 AM
And neither is Roy Makaay.
Whoa whoa whoa, how come Makaay's been left out?

Tijs
06-08-2006, 08:11 AM
I'm not sure, maybe he just didn't fit in the 'new' team. He's a real straight forward direct player. From what I've seen now, the Dutch team strategy is to build up an attack. With Makaay it's like, give him the ball and he shoots. He was in the pre-selection though.

Still strange though, he had a great year at Bayern.

Ha, just found a great example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNLCKsv1HLc&search=Makaay
Not trying to play out the goalie, but just shoot.

Vera
06-08-2006, 09:07 AM
I hear Davids was left out because of his attitude and the coach had a strict "No divas" policy. Maybe that's also why Makaay was cut?

HeadAroundU
06-08-2006, 09:51 AM
Brazil FTW! though I'm afraid about them being in group of death.

Czechs will do good. I saw one friendly match they played and their defensive system is just perfect. If they will be shooting lots of goals then they are strong favourites of tournament.

England should do good. I mean fuck Lampard ,Gerard......fuck....

arak0r
06-08-2006, 09:57 AM
My potential suprise package is Poland.

thats actually my dark horse to win it all :X they could at least make it to the semis or quarters i think.

arak0r
06-08-2006, 10:00 AM
again, on the czech republic, they have nedved and rosicky, and they have a great keeper in cech. iirc, rosicky has been injured lately though. also, it took nedved to come out of retirement for the czech republic to actually qualify for the wc. the previous qualifiers they played, they were absolutely AWFUL. hence why i say hes easily the most important player on that team. hes THE playmaker. if the czechs cant beat the us, they wont make the second round imho.

melkumel
06-08-2006, 11:29 AM
I think the czechs republic might do well. Their last game was nice. The France might do well too, but I heard one of the attackers got seriously hurt. Is this true?

Dive
06-08-2006, 12:56 PM
I don't think Makaay's exclusion from the Dutch squad was all that surprising considering the choices Van Basten has made since he took over, with other experienced players losing out to younger ones. I still find it disappointing though. I'd have liked to see him in the World Cup. Ah well, his exclusion freed him up so he could come to the States with Bayern and lose to Red Bull New York (haha). I didn't know he had a blog.....http://www.roymakaay.com/

Anyway, it'd be nice if the United States could get out of their group but they're really up against it (and would most likely have to play Brasil in the second round if they did). I'd like to see the Blågult do well too. Their last campaign was disappointing: topping a group that included England and Argentina only to lose to a golden goal (RIP) by Senegal. I think it'll be a good tournament.

Vera
06-08-2006, 01:08 PM
Blågult! I <3 you so much for calling them that.

Italia311
06-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Italia, obviously...

I do not expect them to win it. Oh well. It is my country. I think they will do better than 2002.

arak0r
06-08-2006, 10:50 PM
hey italia, have you uhh seen Buffon's girlfriend? :eek:

platinumpt
06-09-2006, 06:48 AM
Platinumpt, do you guys have the official team confirmed already?
Yes we do. It's basically the same team that was called to play the Euro 2004, except for maybe one or two players that have retired from football. I call that copy/paste. And the manager had the guts to say that it was really hard to choose the players. Yeah right.

Tijs
06-09-2006, 07:08 AM
I just found out the previous trainer of our local top football team will be the assistent-coach for Australia and Barcelona.

Old-international Johan Neeskens.
Coaching experience

Having finished playing, Neeskens was keen to stay in football and turned his attention to coaching. His first role came in the summer of 1996 when he joined the coaching staff of the Holland national team under Guus Hiddink. It was then that he became close friends with Frank Rijkaard, who was also working behind the scenes and the duo teamed up as coach and assistant when the current Barça trainer took charge of Dutch side in 1998. In 2000, after Holland had been eliminated from the European Championships at the semi final stage by Italy, Neeskens accepted the role of coach at NEC Nijmegen where he worked until 2004. He returns to Camp Nou after working once again under Hiddink with the Australian national team at the 2006 World Cup Finals in Germany.

mrconeman
06-09-2006, 07:28 AM
I hope England get put out, extremely early, like, as early as possible.
Because for as long as they are in the world cup, the TV is friggen dominated with English football propaganda and being from N.Ireland with English stations, its complete torture its just so annoying to watch for someone who isnt a football fan, the football craze during world cup is complete torture.
Especailly being that I live in N.Ireland, and thus could care less about Englands success.

Not Ozymandias
06-09-2006, 07:52 AM
Oh Christ, not this fucking abomination again. Has it really been 4 years already? Wake me up when the paint-drying semifinals are on.

platinumpt
06-09-2006, 08:42 AM
Tough luck for you kid. The World Cup is a worldwide famous and intensely lived competition. So you'd might as well accept it, it's only a month long.

HeadAroundU
06-09-2006, 09:02 AM
WHOA!

I'm watching! :D

Dive
06-09-2006, 09:15 AM
Haha, Costa Rica just tied it. Great start to the game. Excellent goal by Lahm.

Edit: And Klose just scored.

arak0r
06-09-2006, 09:27 AM
ahh fuck :[ come on ticos!

HornyPope
06-09-2006, 09:43 AM
Enough about pussies, link to some fun world cup clips instead.

Not Ozymandias
06-09-2006, 09:44 AM
Enough about pussies, link to some fun world cup clips instead.
Yeah, let's see some exciting 0-0 ties!! :)

HornyPope
06-09-2006, 09:46 AM
I meant commercials and promo videos. Those are about the only thing that's fun about the sport.

Rocky-girl
06-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Haha, Costa Rica just tied it. Great start to the game. Excellent goal by Lahm.

Edit: And Klose just scored.
I'm watching this match now too. Lahm is the best :)

HornyPope and Not Ozymandias exuse me that I unterrupt you.

Not Ozymandias
06-09-2006, 10:13 AM
http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/3378/1801601my.gif

HornyPope
06-09-2006, 10:16 AM
Ozy delivers!

Oh and : http://www.metacafe.com/watch/66445/ronaldinho_gaucho_nike_shoes_trick_revealed/

T-6005
06-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Another goal from Germany. I am enjoying this game.

Not Ozymandias
06-09-2006, 10:27 AM
Here's to Brazil's plane crashing and the team having to eat each other to stay alive so I don't have to hear the border-jumpers in my neighborhood screaming out their windows after every goal (you know, after every 167 minutes of playing time) for a month straight.

Not Ozymandias
06-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Ozy delivers!

Oh and : http://www.metacafe.com/watch/66445/ronaldinho_gaucho_nike_shoes_trick_revealed/
Supreme gheyness. At least when the participants of superior American sports want to cheat at something they just inject themselves with dangerous chemicals LIKE MEN.

Nina
06-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Three things:
1) Lahm is REALLY great. wtf I didnt know that.
2) Lehmann sucks. I want Kahn back :[
3) Costa Rica is better than I thought.

platinumpt
06-09-2006, 10:45 AM
Fuck, I just turned on the TV, I only have about 5 minutes left of the game :(

EDIT: OMG Frings just scored an amazing goal.

T-6005
06-09-2006, 10:45 AM
You caught the goal by Frings - that was insane.

arak0r
06-09-2006, 10:50 AM
that goal was a beauty. too bad though, i really wanted germany to lose >:[

Yeah, let's see some exciting 0-0 ties!! :)
current score, 4-2. yea.

Here's to Brazil's plane crashing and the team having to eat each other to stay alive so I don't have to hear the border-jumpers in my neighborhood screaming out their windows after every goal (you know, after every 167 minutes of playing time) for a month straight.
stop being a retard ozy, i know youre not THAT stupid. i mean.. border jumpers?

Nina
06-09-2006, 10:54 AM
Frings goal and Lahm's goal were both great.
A fifth goal was close.
Why do you want Germany to lose? o.0

Rocky-girl
06-09-2006, 10:55 AM
UU, it's over, I want more! Germany played beaytifully! <3!!!! I love them!

Not Ozymandias
06-09-2006, 10:58 AM
stop being a retard ozy, i know youre not THAT stupid. i mean.. border jumpers?
Don't make me repost some of your comments on the Katrina looting last Summer.

Nina
06-09-2006, 11:02 AM
Do you consider it your personal duty to spam a thread that is about a subject you dont enjoy? If so, then this is the lamest thing I've seen just yet.
American sports must be the dumbest things for me, EVER, and I dont spam your threads. pfff.

arak0r
06-09-2006, 11:03 AM
i want germany to lose because i dont need them winning another wc any time soon. forza azzuri :X

ozy, im referrin to brazillians, and the fact that theyre not "border jumpers" as they dont share a damn border with the united states, not even close.

Idiot
06-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Darn, I thought Costa Rica might have pulled it back when Wanchope got their second. :(

T-6005
06-09-2006, 11:18 AM
I can't imagine Poland-Ecuador being anywhere near as exciting.

Not Ozymandias
06-09-2006, 11:18 AM
ozy, im referrin to brazillians, and the fact that theyre not "border jumpers" as they dont share a damn border with the united states, not even close.
They had to jump over a border in order to get here and annoy me, they didn't teleport.

Not Ozymandias
06-09-2006, 11:19 AM
Do you consider it your personal duty to spam a thread that is about a subject you dont enjoy? If so, then this is the lamest thing I've seen just yet.
American sports must be the dumbest things for me, EVER, and I dont spam your threads. pfff.
What? I'm just expressing my enjoyment of some exciting low-scoring. :)

arak0r
06-09-2006, 11:21 AM
4-2 isnt low scoring. border jumper generally refers to mexicans.

arak0r
06-09-2006, 11:26 AM
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=32B1E3483D17B7DA

thats the frings goal btw. awesome.

HornyPope
06-09-2006, 11:30 AM
The South American illegals who make it to USA typically sneak in through both the Mexican borders, first into Mexico proper, then the USA. If you want to get tehnical... It's not like they can just take a plane to a US destination without paperworks.

As for the scoring, we're not saying there aren't exceptions. But it's generally frustrating to watch two teams run around for 70 minutes, then push on with the offense and score on the 80th and then sit on the defense to hold the opposite team for a 1-0 win. Yay!!!

Not Ozymandias
06-09-2006, 11:33 AM
4-2 isnt low scoring. border jumper generally refers to mexicans.
I know, I was so disappointed with all that scoring, if I wanted something resembling excitement I would watch one of the superior American sports!! :mad:

Nina
06-09-2006, 11:35 AM
But it's generally frustrating to watch two teams run around for 70 minutes, then push on with the offense and score on the 80th and then sit on the defense to hold the opposite team for a 1-0 win. Yay!!!

*90 minutes :[
And I'm so anti sport but enjoy this world cup. What does that tell you? Thats right, my opinion matters. :P

HornyPope
06-09-2006, 11:39 AM
I said they score on the 80th, and then hold on the team for the remaining 10 plus whatever the ref awards. Seriously, I know the rules.

arak0r
06-09-2006, 11:39 AM
The South American illegals who make it to USA typically sneak in through both the Mexican borders, first into Mexico proper, then the USA. If you want to get tehnical... It's not like they can just take a plane to a US destination without paperworks.

As for the scoring, we're not saying there aren't exceptions. But it's generally frustrating to watch two teams run around for 70 minutes, then push on with the offense and score on the 80th and then sit on the defense to hold the opposite team for a 1-0 win. Yay!!!

yet you were fine watching the nhl even before the new offensive minded rules.

Nina
06-09-2006, 11:41 AM
I said they score on the 80th, and then hold on the team for the remaining 10 plus whatever the ref awards. Seriously, I know the rules.

Woops, I misread that. Sorry.

HornyPope
06-09-2006, 11:43 AM
An NHL game will typically count 25-35 shots on goal per team, among them 10-15 are good scoring oppertunities per side, with the final score even in the lowest scoring era being somewhere in the mid 3 goals per game figures (for both sides).
And that in a 60 minute time block.

How many games of a 82 game schedule ended with a 1-0 shut out? 1? 2? 3?

anyways, out.

arak0r
06-09-2006, 12:06 PM
ah come onPOLSKA

HeadAroundU
06-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Ekvador - Polska 3:0

T-6005
06-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Wish it wasn't 3:30AM here. I'm considering going to bed instead of watching the rest of this game.

1-0 for Ecuador.

Evka.pl
06-09-2006, 01:27 PM
ah come onPOLSKA

we gonna lose.....with ecuador...shame.... :mad: :(

i hope portugal is going to do better!

Preocupado
06-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Damn, i slept throught another game :(

edit: oh and, sadly, there are lots of brazilian border jumpers. They seek for help with mexicans to sneak into the states, get scammed, go to an american jail for some time, then are sent back to try again.

Meanwhile, all those brazilian fuckers who are in Germany to watch the games will play a great part on fucking up this year's presidential election's voting.

Evka.pl
06-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Damn, i slept throught another game :(

lucky you! poland lost with ecuador 2:0...every mundial there's a shame....but a brazilian would never understand :)

Preocupado
06-09-2006, 02:27 PM
We understand it. Remember the brazilian football performance at the olympic games? Yeah, we didn't even make it to the competition.

Oh, and it's not a shame to lose against Equator. They're always one of the stronger teams!

Tizzalicious
06-09-2006, 02:37 PM
omg I can't believe Oliver Khan is gone. :( KHAAAAAAAAN!

- WCM

Tizzalicious
06-09-2006, 02:38 PM
OMG I can't believe I'm dating a trekkie :(

Evka.pl
06-09-2006, 02:55 PM
We understand it. Remember the brazilian football performance at the olympic games? Yeah, we didn't even make it to the competition.

Oh, and it's not a shame to lose against Equator. They're always one of the stronger teams!

i don't know..last time we defeated ecuador 3:0 ;)

brazil is gonna win anyway. i hope portugal will do fine too. after all ronaldinho and ronaldos (the brazilian and the portuguese one rulez!!)

punker
06-09-2006, 03:29 PM
ecuador classified in the top 3, they arent terrible, i hear they can be the surprise of this world cup

HeadAroundU
06-09-2006, 03:43 PM
They defeated Brazil in qualification. It was obvious that they are gonna beat Poland today. Perfect defense and good transition to forward.

HeadAroundU
06-09-2006, 09:21 PM
http://wcg.eurosport.co.uk/wcg/

World Cup Game 2006 is a football stock exchange game. Instead of buying shares in companies you use virtual money to buy shares in the teams competing in the 2006 World Cup.

:)

offspringer24
06-09-2006, 11:28 PM
Czech is fucking ace, I'm hoping for good things. Nedved is not their only brilliant player, they have loads of young, promising players, too. Overall top team. Euro 2004, hello.

But there's no way of predicting this shit. Germany doesn't have much a chance, though. Neither does France but Les Bleus always has a place in my heart, anyway.

Hope Brazil doesn't absolutely dominate again, that'd just be boring, though Brazil does play an awesome sort of footie, very energetic and good to watch.

milan baros is a very good player, i have a seasopn ticket at liverpool and i liked him when he was here, he had plenty of flair and energy
on topic
i think my beloved england will do well but i dont think we'll quite go all the way but will walk away with our heads held high.
now for business i predict(if possible) the last 4 to be brazil,argentina,england & spain and i expect spain to win it, i know they have under acheived over the years but they seem to be up for it now and have masses of talent

offspringer24
06-09-2006, 11:30 PM
i don't know..last time we defeated ecuador 3:0 ;)

brazil is gonna win anyway. i hope portugal will do fine too. after all ronaldinho and ronaldos (the brazilian and the portuguese one rulez!!)
ronaldo(brazil) is vcery fat and passed it
ronaldo(portugal) step over, step over, fall over no end product and is very over rated
ronaldhino CLASS!

.:SMASH:.
06-10-2006, 12:18 AM
You obsess over sports quite a lot, for a fat fuck.
well played

Dirty Bertie
06-10-2006, 12:34 AM
ecuador classified in the top 3, they arent terrible, i hear they can be the surprise of this world cup

What top 3????

The top three in the UK is:
1) Brazil
2) England
3) Argentina

Ecuador is not even in the Top 10

platinumpt
06-10-2006, 06:12 AM
ronaldo(portugal) step over, step over, fall over no end product and is very over rated
ronaldhino CLASS!
I agree. Cristiano Ronaldo is a good player, but he's highly overrated. In my personal opinion, Ricardo Quaresma (FCPorto player) is better than him, and wasn't called to the National Team.

About yesterday matches: if one didn't see Ecuador's game, he might be surprised by the result... but the truth is that Poland's performance was truly disappointing, and Ecuador dominated almost the entire match. Except for the last 10 minutes, in which Poland suddenly woke up, and made a few very very dangerous shots on goal. If Ecuador beats Costa Rica, they're on their way to the 1/8 finals. Germany won easily against Costa Rica, but I'd just like to point out that the German defence is laughably fragile. They should be worried about that, because when they'll have to confront a more talented team they'll be in big trouble. The defence was trying to put the attackers on an offside position several times, and failed twice, resulting in two goals for Costa Rica.

About today's matches: we're having England's first game, against Paraguai. At the moment England is winning 1-0. Unfortunately I didn't see the goal, because I thought there was still one hour left to the game ;( I don't know what I should say about this, the truth is I know very little about these south american teams... in a few hours, Sweden - Trinidad e Tobago. And the last game we'll see Argentinaa playing!!! I'm looking forward to it.

T-6005
06-10-2006, 06:14 AM
Paraguay is being lame in this game. They're not getting anywhere.

platinumpt
06-10-2006, 06:46 AM
Paraguay is lame. They're not getting anywhere.
After about 45 minutes of boredom, I'm highly tempted to second this, after my correction.

Paint_It_Black
06-10-2006, 07:04 AM
Paraguay is being lame in this game. They're not getting anywhere.

Just wait. England's only one up, Paraguay only need to get lucky once. I'm not going to feel happy until England are two up.

I'm predicting a 2:1 final result right now. Time to get back to it and see if I'm right.

JoY
06-10-2006, 07:21 AM
Did you watch any of the games? Greece was a success of one man and one man only - the coach. And their game? SUCKED. Boring, uber-defensive football and no offence, except they somehow always managed to score a goal per game - the goal with which they won the match.

It annoyed the fuck out of me. Czech? Didn't lose a fucking game except the one against Greece, that assfuck of a team.

fully fucking agreed. the only reason I could accept their victory was because they've never fucking won before. (if I'm not mistaking)

our players are too young. they're most certainly talented, but way back we had people playing for the Dutch team, who personally knew & planted every single grassroot. not their potential was the formula, but the fact they'd already proven to be top quality.

I know zero about soccer anyway.

JoY
06-10-2006, 07:24 AM
My vote to (second) favorite team of the year will be Ivory Coast.
Nope, he's not in the team this time. And neither is my favorite; Roy Makaay.
Makaay isn't playing?? :(
isn't Davids' time just.. up?

I hadn't even checked yet. there are always a *couple* of players I definitely like to watch & who I have some confidence in. even though soccer really is nothing I give a shit about.

JoY
06-10-2006, 07:30 AM
omg I can't believe Oliver Khan is gone. :( KHAAAAAAAAN!

- WCM
one of the few I remembered. & I imagine it had a reason. & they kicked his behind out?!

I'm upset.
& happy, because with this topic, I won't have to miss anything (not having a tv & all).

I agree. Cristiano Ronaldo is a good player, but he's highly overrated. In my personal opinion, Ricardo Quaresma (FCPorto player) is better than him, and wasn't called to the National Team.

wait, hold on.. the last few years I've always hated Ronaldo, because he often doesn't actually deliver & finishes what he starts. does this mean I know something about the game?

T-6005
06-10-2006, 07:37 AM
Game's still not going anywhere. Paraguay need to make things interesting.

Even in games without many goals scored, you can find some good action. Here, though, nothing much is happening, although it's clear that the referee hates England.

Tijs
06-10-2006, 08:18 AM
isn't Davids' time just.. up?
Could be yeah, but they've had Bergkamp for a while aswell. Although I'm not sure how old Davids actually is.
And even so, he and his glasses were awesome. That'd be enough for me to select him. :-)
http://www2.raisport.rai.it/news/sport/calcio/200106/13/3b27ddbf03683/davids.jpg

JoY
06-10-2006, 08:37 AM
are you joking? that whole hype around his stupid glasses, like with Jamai; megafuckingbrainless & annoying on top. it was funny, alright. it was kinda his icon, fine. but don't create an entire personality around a pair of glasses. shit! for serious! there weren't even glasses in his glasses half of the time.

Tijs
06-10-2006, 08:51 AM
You're comparing Jamai to Davids?!

And of course I wouldn't select him just because of his glasses. That was indeed a joke. He's a great player.

Nina
06-10-2006, 09:15 AM
Did I really just hear it's 1-0 because Paraguay pwnd itself?

Paint_It_Black
06-10-2006, 09:31 AM
although it's clear that the referee hates England.

Yeah, I got that vibe. Pretty boring game all things considered. I felt England were far too happy just staying one up. Oh well, we got the points, so I can't really complain.

Did I really just hear it's 1-0 because Paraguay pwnd itself?

Well, yeah, kinda. I believe it was a first.

T-6005
06-10-2006, 09:44 AM
Tonight's games are sucking hard so far.

arak0r
06-10-2006, 10:18 AM
come onn trinidad and tobago!

JoY
06-10-2006, 10:24 AM
You're comparing Jamai to Davids?!

And of course I wouldn't select him just because of his glasses. That was indeed a joke. He's a great player.
I just hate those fashionjerks. literally jerks. as if they're lying still, get bored & then suddenly jerk, as if they realise they should promote themselves in a fashionarea too. duuuuuude.

he's done fantastic, I agree. this selection didn't seem to evolve around great players, though. more about great rookies. I'm.. curious how this will turn out.

Vera
06-10-2006, 10:29 AM
OMG TT-Sweden 0-0. WTF Sweden?

JoY
06-10-2006, 10:32 AM
I officially want a tv now. *grumpy*

Vera
06-10-2006, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I also think footballers are hot.

Edit. Bella, go to a bar? Have a little drinksy and watch the matches with your intelligent countrymen?

T-6005
06-10-2006, 10:35 AM
OMG TT-Sweden 0-0. WTF Sweden?
Yeah, but I find myself cheering on the underdog here.

I just can't help myself.

Tijs
06-10-2006, 10:35 AM
I just hate those fashionjerks. literally jerks. as if they're lying still, get bored & then suddenly jerk, as if they realise they should promote themselves in a fashionarea too. duuuuuude.

he's done fantastic, I agree. this selection didn't seem to evolve around great players, though. more about great rookies. I'm.. curious how this will turn out.He doesn't wear the glasses for fasion-reasons, but medical reasons. And I haven't seen him without actual glasses in them, so...

But I do understand what you mean, David Beckham is all fashionable and stuff, that's not very footballish.

arak0r
06-10-2006, 10:40 AM
asdkfja! god id love to see T&T win this, as much as i <3 larsson and ibrahimovic

punker
06-10-2006, 10:49 AM
What top 3????

The top three in the UK is:
1) Brazil
2) England
3) Argentina

Ecuador is not even in the Top 10
in the classification for the world cup, the first 5 in america go there, they classified third

Vera
06-10-2006, 10:53 AM
TT WON!!! LOVE IT!!!!

Yeah baby.

Vera
06-10-2006, 10:54 AM
Shit, it's awesome to see how happy a team and it's supporters can be with a tie!
Quoted for truth.

:D

arak0r
06-10-2006, 10:54 AM
hah id love to be on those islands tonight

Tijs
06-10-2006, 10:55 AM
Shit, it's awesome to see how happy a team and it's supporters can be with a tie!

edit: Haha, I deleted my post, but posted it again. Vera just quoted it before I deleted it.

Paint_It_Black
That was great. Really great.

Vera
Quite a lot of supporters there it seemed... For such a small nation, and their first time & all.

Italia311
06-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Good for Trinidad damn.

Andy
06-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Right. England won, but we were terrible in the second half (with some usual extremely dodgy substitutions that completely destroyed our rhythm). Even though we have arguably the best midfield in the competition (Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard, J.Cole), we still managed to be very stretched by the Paraguayan play - which is worrying.

Trinidad & Tobago managed to hold Sweden to 0-0 even though they got a man sent off 30 seconds into the 2nd half. I'm thinking this is going to be a fun group!

I'm still pissed off though: I had a bet on England winning 3-1, and with Joe Cole to be first goal scorer. Rubbish!

JoY
06-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Edit. Bella, go to a bar? Have a little drinksy and watch the matches with your intelligent countrymen?
tomorrow, babe. tomorrow. one guess why, I bet you'll nail it.

platinumpt
06-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Paraguay doesn't play for shit. I'd say they're finished... if only Sweden didn't fuck up against Trinidad & Tobago... which means the group is still balanced, with England on the lead with 3 points, Sweden and T&T have 1 point, and Paraguay 0. Many scenarios can still occur.

Yeah Bella, I agree with you. Ronaldo is a bit... how can I say... unconsequent (sp?). He struggles a lot, he likes to keep the ball with him, but most of the times he either fucks up the pass or the shooting part (unless he's in good shape - he made a very good Euro 2004, for instance). He's just a kid, and still has a lot to learn in the football world.

HeadAroundU
06-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Yeah Bella, I agree with you. Ronaldo is a bit... how can I say... unconsequent (sp?). He struggles a lot, he likes to keep the ball with him, but most of the times he either fucks up the pass or the shooting part (unless he's in good shape - he made a very good Euro 2004, for instance). He's just a kid, and still has a lot to learn in the football world.
hahahahahaha

JoY
06-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Yeah Bella, I agree with you. Ronaldo is a bit... how can I say... unconsequent (sp?). He struggles a lot, he likes to keep the ball with him, but most of the times he either fucks up the pass or the shooting part (unless he's in good shape - he made a very good Euro 2004, for instance).
exactly! I wouldn't say he's a kid, we're talking Ronaldo here & I had a friend who already adored him ten years ago, so I wouldn't say he's that much of a rooky. his way of playing is most of the times extremely egocentric, though. I always call it "egotripping". he seems to play for himself.

"hey, let me handle this, I've got good critics, I'm the man, everyone off my case, I'll show you, I can handle that ball, here, wait, let me show you" *other player takes the ball* "THAT WAS UNFAIR!"

platinumpt
06-10-2006, 12:26 PM
May I ask why does that make my statement so laughable?

Dive
06-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Hislop was amazing for T&T. Still, Sweden should have won easily. They had several good chances and missed them all. I bet it has something to do with that abomination attached to the back of Wilhelmsson's head. Cut that shit off, man.

xx-Sammi-xx
YAY WE ROCK.
England won against Paraguay 1-0...and it was even an OWN GOAL.
God. Paraguay ARE retarded. :D

platinumpt
Ronaldo is 21 years old, he's still a very young player. He's a rookie, no?

Anyway, his attitude on the latest Portugal's friendly match serves as pure evidence. A Luxembourguese player made a tackle a little bit more rough than usual on Ronaldo, and he pushed him onto the ground the next second. All this happened in a friendly match. Do I need to say more? I hope anything like that doesn't happen on this World Cup, or the referees will probably send him off...

HeadAroundU
06-10-2006, 12:31 PM
What I hate about him is his rip-off name. There is only one Ronaldo, Brazilian Ronaldo.

JoY
06-10-2006, 12:33 PM
I almost forgot that was a different Ronaldo my friend was a fan of. I feel only a tiiiiny bit stupid. but I didn't forget about his egocentric ballplay. HAH. we're talking about the same Ronaldo again. & we still agree.

platinumpt
06-10-2006, 12:33 PM
(to HAU)

Actually there are two brazilian Ronaldo's :) Don't forget about Real Madrid's Ronaldo, when he was in Barcelona he made an amazing season!

platinumpt
06-10-2006, 12:35 PM
I almost forgot that was a different Ronaldo. I feel only a tiiiiny bit stupid. but I didn't forget about his egocentric ballplay. HAH. we're talking about the same Ronaldo again. & we still agree.
:) Maybe you were referring to the Brazilian Ronaldo? He's slightly older indeed, I just checked, he's 26 years old. He's not a rookie anymore. However, the portuguese Ronaldo is still very young, he celebrated 21 years old a few months ago. Both insist a wee bit too much on individual play, but I'm tempted to say that Brazilian Ronaldo is much more talented than the Portuguese Ronaldo.

Evka.pl
06-11-2006, 12:52 AM
:) (...) the portuguese Ronaldo is still very young, he celebrated 21 years old a few months ago. Both insist a wee bit too much on individual play, but I'm tempted to say that Brazilian Ronaldo is much more talented than the Portuguese Ronaldo.

i'd disagree. cristiano is younger and still has time to improve. he's a great talent plus he's hot! :P ronaldinho is the greatest palyer in the world but the brazilian ronaldo(real madrit) is fat and slow-not what he used to be...

Preocupado
06-11-2006, 01:35 AM
He's not fat, he changed his biotype (says himself).

The president Lula asked if he was fat and he replied by asking if Lula was a drunk.

Evka.pl
06-11-2006, 02:57 AM
He's not fat, he changed his biotype (says himself).

The president Lula asked if he was fat and he replied by asking if Lula was a drunk.

LOL.....i'm not saying that ronaldo is a bad palyer-he's after all one of the best palyers in the world...but he doesn't play like he used to.

Andy
06-11-2006, 03:02 AM
Ronaldo's just getting old, it's as simple as that. Any player who four/five years ago was touted around as the best player in the world is bound to lose credibility eventually. It happened to Zidane, it happened to Figo, and it'll happen to Ronaldinho*. Football is a fickle, unforgiving sport.

*Well....Once he moves to Real Madrid for a couple of seasons anyway.

JoY
06-11-2006, 05:20 AM
:) Maybe you were referring to the Brazilian Ronaldo? He's slightly older indeed, I just checked, he's 26 years old. He's not a rookie anymore. However, the portuguese Ronaldo is still very young, he celebrated 21 years old a few months ago. Both insist a wee bit too much on individual play, but I'm tempted to say that Brazilian Ronaldo is much more talented than the Portuguese Ronaldo.
he was born in two years before my brother around the same time, so that'd make him 29, I think. if I remember correctly from my fanatic friend. :p he started in 1993, so definitely no rookie. aw, my friend even had a stuffed doll of him (didn't look like him) that his auntie made, when he was 10 (12 years ago). I most definitely wasn't referring to him when I was talking about egocentric ballplay, but to the younger one. I just got them mixed up for a second.

& I still stand with my point that the younger one keeps the ball to himself way, WAY too long, untill the point he should've & could've passed it someone else about a hundred times & someone of the other team grabs it. & then he always raises his hand in disbelief, screaming it's unfair.

the last time I saw him in a game, he annoyed me to hell. also because I don't know a thing about soccer (more about fieldhockey, which has similarities), but CAN see that he's "egotripping" in the field. in a "oo, look at me, I've got the ball, I've got the ball, I've got the ball, I'm the man, I'm the man, shit, lost the ball"-kind of way.

& I also hated that when someone of my team in fieldhockey did that, especially when it has no good endresult. people can keep the ball as long as they like in my opinion, if they at least score/keep it away from their own goal/pass it to someone else at the right moment so he/she can score.

Evka, old Ronaldo is, like I said, 29. people that play topsports reach their best point early in their twenties & 'expire' (overused word on this board) in their mid twenties. after 25 no one that plays on such a high level is worth anything, except a few exceptions that kick major ass. top sport damages your health worse than smoking. sportsmen die young. real young. Ronaldo is simply old. very, very old. & in our eyes 29 is incredibly young, but to put a 29 year old in the field would almost be crime, because it's simply wrecking someone's body. his carreer kicked off in 1993. you can't keep up such a carreer for over 13 years, that's just impossible.

platinumpt
06-11-2006, 05:43 AM
i'd disagree. cristiano is younger and still has time to improve. he's a great talent plus he's hot! :P ronaldinho is the greatest palyer in the world but the brazilian ronaldo(real madrit) is fat and slow-not what he used to be...
Well... I wouldn't say Cristiano Ronaldo is hot...... although I admit he's hotter than Ronaldinho Gaucho, that's for sure.

platinumpt
06-11-2006, 05:49 AM
(...)& I still stand with my point that the younger one keeps the ball to himself way, WAY too long, untill the point he should've & could've passed it someone else about a hundred times & someone of the other team grabs it. & then he always raises his hand in disbelief, screaming it's unfair.

the last time I saw him in a game, he annoyed me to hell. also because I don't know a thing about soccer (more about fieldhockey, which has similarities), but CAN see that he's "egotripping" in the field. in a "oo, look at me, I've got the ball, I've got the ball, I've got the ball, I'm the man, I'm the man, shit, lost the ball"-kind of way.(...)

I love the ability you have to transform my portuguese thoughts into english words. There, you said it all! Thanks!

Oh and by the way, I'm not sure which Brazilian Ronaldo we were talking about, but Ronaldinho Gaucho (Barcelona) is 26 years old :

Data de Nascimento 1980-03-21 (26 anos) - it's portuguese language, don't mind that

And the other Ronaldo (the one in Real Madrid, used to be an awesome player) is indeed 29 years old:

Data de Nascimento 1976-09-22 (29 anos)

Ronaldo has given everything he had to football, now he's just an average attacker, in my opinion. However, Ronaldinho still has a lot to show, he's an awesome player, even though he showed signs of being tired towards the end of this season.

platinumpt
06-11-2006, 05:57 AM
Hey hey hey!!! We have more games today. Portugal is playing later tonight, boy, I'm anxious for this game!!! Portugal and Angola are two very connected countries, I wonder how the players will face this game. I just hope it doesn't get too rough. I'm expecting that Portugal will win, but the odds are that Angola will work hard to also achieve the victory. A great game is in perspective, believe me.

After Argentina's victory, the Dutch will also have to win against Servia, so that they keep close to Argentina and the 1st place in the group. However, Servia might have something to say too... it's also a VERY interesting game to follow!

Finally, we'll have Mexico - Iran. It looks like an average game... I'll follow it with special interest because they're in the same group as Portugal, but I'd say Mexico won't have too much trouble beating them.

What about you guys? Perspectives? Thoughts?

Nina
06-11-2006, 06:46 AM
So.

First I thought "wtf are they doing there?!" because they kept falling on their asses. Then I realized how wet the grass actually is.

Anyway.

I learned to love the way Holland plays. They have their unique style that stands out from the other teams.

So far one goal for Holland.

Serbia isnt bad, though. They have a good defense.

JoY
06-11-2006, 06:47 AM
now this is getting interesting. it always takes a goal to wake everyone up.
& IT HAD TO BE OURS!

k, less patriotism, more shutting up.

Nina
06-11-2006, 06:51 AM
P.S. Is it really Holland's strategy to let single players goal? I thought it was weird that Robben did all these attempts on his own (and succeeded once).

Tijs
06-11-2006, 06:53 AM
These should switch 'van Nistelrooy' for 'van der Vaart', he's not really into the game at the moment, probably doesn't get any better in this heath.

Rocky-girl
06-11-2006, 07:05 AM
now this is getting interesting. it always takes a goal to wake everyone up.
& IT HAD TO BE OURS!
I think it will be yours!

Tijs
06-11-2006, 08:07 AM
Victory! We've got the first 3 points.

Next; Ivory Coast

Nina
06-11-2006, 09:49 AM
The best game I've seen yet. Both teams are extremly aggressive, it's just really fun to watch. The mexican coach seems to be all angry and upset that his team is not as good as they should be.

So far 1-1.

TheUnholyNightbringer
06-11-2006, 09:51 AM
I thought that was very sloppy, infact. Iran can't take a decent corner to save their life.

Nina
06-11-2006, 09:53 AM
Thats what I meant with aggressive. The kicks are not "neat", other teams play cleaner than that (Germany for instance, hands down) but I like that about this game. The ball goes up and down and left and right and all at once and it just doesnt get boring like that.

Also, for Mexico being listed as #4, I think Iran play really fucking good.

TheUnholyNightbringer
06-11-2006, 09:56 AM
I disagree. Iran have been very sloppy. Holland played aggressively today, but it was beautifully neat and finished to perfection. Iran are going all guns blazing and it's not really working. It's only a draw because Mexico's keeper was so far off his line that he counted as a striker.

Nina
06-11-2006, 09:58 AM
We completely disagree on the subject. Next.

arak0r
06-11-2006, 09:59 AM
the best game so far = argentina ivory coast. just a shame ivory coast lost.

oh and T&T holdin sweden down was awesome.

Nina
06-11-2006, 10:42 AM
The second half of the game did not only suddenly turn boring but also made it pretty certain that Iran will lose. But man, Mexico play really shitty for their arrogance.
Stupid Iranian team. They wanted to stay 1-1 and didnt do anything anymore. bbbooorriinnggg. The second goal was absolutely idiotic and not necessary. The goal keeper and the other guy screwed it up.

T-6005
06-11-2006, 10:45 AM
I agree with the second goal, but I thought the third goal was rather nicely done.

Nina
06-11-2006, 10:46 AM
I didnt see it :(

Tizzalicious
06-11-2006, 11:03 AM
We enjoyed watching the Mexico-Iran game. At first we were rooting for Iran. But in the second half it was clear that Mexico was simply the better team, and it was entertaining just watching how good they were at the sport.

Tomorrow America über the Czechs!

platinumpt
06-11-2006, 11:11 AM
The best game in the world cup is yet to come. Tune in the sports channel in about one hour, for Portugal vs Angola. Mexico beat Iran nicely, Iran's defense is extremely fragile, and their occasions of goal came out mostly from free kicks or corner kicks. Pff. I'm not impressed.

FrancoDaHui
06-11-2006, 11:12 AM
holy shit!!!!
mexico 3
iran 1
XDXDXDXD

HeadAroundU
06-11-2006, 11:57 AM
Oh and by the way, I'm not sure which Brazilian Ronaldo we were talking about, but Ronaldinho Gaucho (Barcelona) is 26 years old :

Data de Nascimento 1980-03-21 (26 anos) - it's portuguese language, don't mind that

And the other Ronaldo (the one in Real Madrid, used to be an awesome player) is indeed 29 years old:

Data de Nascimento 1976-09-22 (29 anos)

Ronaldo has given everything he had to football, now he's just an average attacker, in my opinion. However, Ronaldinho still has a lot to show, he's an awesome player, even though he showed signs of being tired towards the end of this season.
Why the hell are you mixing Christiano (Portugal Ronaldo) and Luis Nazario da Lima (Brazilian Ronaldo) with Ronaldinho Gaucho?

Preocupado
06-11-2006, 12:05 PM
i sense a very bad game for Angola...

Paint_It_Black
06-11-2006, 12:05 PM
Note to self: Don't ever open this thread when I have recorded games I haven't watched yet.

JoY
06-11-2006, 12:25 PM
I zipped it!

arak0r
06-11-2006, 12:37 PM
Note to self: Don't ever open this thread when I have recorded games I haven't watched yet.

dont you hate that? every time i downloaded matches via bit torrent i couldnt keep myself from checkin espn's soccernet. ruined too many games :(

Paint_It_Black
06-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Yeah, and I knew opening this thread was a bad idea, yet for some inexplicable reason I did it anyway.

JoY
06-11-2006, 12:42 PM
I never said a word!

Tijs
06-11-2006, 01:20 PM
Awesome, I just set up my new DVD player/recorder correctly and replaced my broken VCR with it, and now I'm able to see my TV on my PC and vice versa again. Now I'm able to do this!

BBS, OGame and the World Cup at the same time!
http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/6315/wkdesktop2tb.gif

Paint_It_Black
06-11-2006, 01:32 PM
Tijs, that's probably the most awesome thing I've seen in my life.

Nina
06-11-2006, 01:33 PM
I could never handle that shit.

arak0r
06-11-2006, 01:44 PM
this game has been relatively boring :|

platinumpt
06-11-2006, 01:57 PM
"relatively"? I fucking fell asleep during the game.

Anyway, from what I've seen, Angola is a kinda innofensive team. Portugal made an awful match. Ronaldo and Simao didn't play shit, I think our best elements were Figo and Pauleta. During the 2nd half, we could see Figo was really tired. Towards the end, he didn't run anymore. At least the score was good for us. Go Portugal. Now I'll be back to sleep. Ta ta.

offspringer24
06-12-2006, 12:24 AM
i thought angola were going to get a lamping yesterday but did quite well in the end, they can have their heads held high =) obviously portugal too much class tho!

Evka.pl
06-12-2006, 04:40 AM
i'm very happy 4 portugal. if i had a portuguese flag, i'd hang it over my window (next to the polish flag).

Andy
06-12-2006, 04:45 AM
Every game I see him play, I hate Cristiano Ronaldo a little bit more. He was so desperately trying make an impact the way Robben did against the Serbs, but instead just looked like a diving fucker who tries so many step-overs he not only confuses the defenders, but also his team & himself. Then he just falls over and tries to get a free kick. He's the epitome of annoying-as-fuck European play, and I hate the arrogant little prick for it.

Anyway, USA - Czech / Italy - Ghana / Australia - Japan today. Three fun games on the offing. I'm looking forward to it.

sitdyneshelagh
06-12-2006, 04:53 AM
I Fuckin' 'ate Football.

Tijs
06-12-2006, 07:53 AM
Awesome game. Australia beat Japan with 3-1.

Jap '26
Aus '84
Aus '89
Aus '92

Dutch coaches rule.

T-6005
06-12-2006, 07:53 AM
I felt really bad for Japan just now. They held it for so long and then just fell apart from exhaustion at the end.

Dive
06-12-2006, 07:56 AM
I thought Japan looked good. Brilliant comeback by Australia though.

USA and Czech Republic up next.

Tijs
06-12-2006, 08:03 AM
Haha, how awesome. My grandma just called to talk about the game. She knows a lot about this stuff too and watched every game so far.

platinumpt
06-12-2006, 09:41 AM
Wow. Japan vs Australia must have been awesome!!! Too bad I've been busy working :(

Czech Republic is currently beating USA 2-0. Czechs rule.

Andy
06-12-2006, 09:44 AM
Great goal by Rosicky. Looking forward to seeing him in the Premiership next season. Just a shame he'll be with Arsenal.

platinumpt
06-12-2006, 09:49 AM
I still haven't seen the goals, I'll check them out later tonight. I'm also looking forward to see Italia's game versus Ghana.

Andy
06-12-2006, 09:52 AM
Yeah, it'll either be a complete Italian whitewash (bluewash???), or another fantastic game where the underdogs give them a real scare. I hope it's the latter, and knowing Italy...It probably will be.

T-6005
06-12-2006, 09:52 AM
I expected the American offense to be stronger. So far they've been ineffectual, though.

Andy
06-12-2006, 09:55 AM
So far pretty disappointing for a team ranked fifth in the world. We'll see what happens though.

arak0r
06-12-2006, 10:49 AM
those rankings are pure bullshit. but im sure you know that by now. jesus that was ugly :|

Andy
06-12-2006, 10:50 AM
When Czech got playing, they were formiddable. Just hope (for them) that Koller isn't too badly hurt.

T-6005
06-12-2006, 10:50 AM
My opinion remains unchanged. The US's offensive strength is pathetic.

Andy
06-12-2006, 10:53 AM
Yeah, although that Johnson guy does look quite promising.

Tizzalicious
06-12-2006, 11:12 AM
America got it's ass kicked really badly. :(

I like their style better though. There were NO offsides at all which I think shows some discipline. And they did none of that pussy fake-injury stuff which the Czech's were fond of. Except for Koller who is probably just old.

We need a new goal keeper. And players who don't continually pass behind them. :(

- WCM

platinumpt
06-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Nice play by the Czechs. The USA still have a long way to go in the soccer world.

Andy
06-12-2006, 11:52 AM
I think USA's biggest problem today was the fact that Landon Donovan didn't get into the game. He's probably their best playmaker, so when he has a quiet game, I'm guessing it has the same effect on the team.

platinumpt
06-12-2006, 11:53 AM
By the way, what the fuck is that ranking some of you are talking about? the only one I know is this one (http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/index/0,2548,108551,00.html?articleid=108551), and neither Czech Republic or USA appear in the 5th place.

EDIT: By the way, someone tell me what the USA have done on the last few years to deserve being above teams like Turkey (4th place in the 2002 World Cup), Portugal (2nd place in the Euro 2004), Greece (1st place in Euro 2004), or Germany (3 times winner of the World Cup). Just wondering.

T-6005
06-12-2006, 11:55 AM
By the way, what the fuck is that ranking some of you are talking about? the only one I know is this one (http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/index/0,2548,108551,00.html?articleid=108551) , and neither Czech Republic or USA appear in the 5th place.
I found mine here. (http://www.soccerphile.com/soccerphile/news/fifa.html)

Nina
06-12-2006, 11:55 AM
^ this is the only one I know, too.

damn you guys for editing. I meant platinumpt.

platinumpt
06-12-2006, 11:56 AM
The rankings are similar, to be honest. Okay, checked :)

platinumpt
06-12-2006, 11:56 AM
^ this is the only one I know, too.
Now you know the official FIFA one too!

platinumpt
06-12-2006, 11:58 AM
damn you guys for editing. I meant platinumpt.
What the...? Why? You edited your post too, duh.

Andy
06-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Mate, that list is ooolllddddd, check this one:

http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/index/0,2548,All-May-2006,00.html

GAH! Stop replying faster than me!

platinumpt
06-12-2006, 12:00 PM
Mate, that list is ooolllddddd, check this one:

http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/index/0,2548,All-May-2006,00.html

GAH! Stop replying faster than me!
Hot damn, I'm sooo going to kill google. I didn't even noticed it was July 2005. Thanks.

Andy
06-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Come On Ghana!!

offspringer24
06-12-2006, 12:05 PM
I think USA's biggest problem today was the fact that Landon Donovan didn't get into the game. He's probably their best playmaker, so when he has a quiet game, I'm guessing it has the same effect on the team.
i saw donavon at anfield 2 seasons ago(for leverkusen) and he was very poor im sure if the usa really put their mind to it they would have some great players btw where's freddie adu?

T-6005
06-12-2006, 12:05 PM
I'd like Ghana to put on a Trinidad and Tobago-esque performance, but I just don't feel it's going to happen. I think Italy will flatten them.

Although the pace of the game so far is far from intense.

JoY
06-12-2006, 12:11 PM
Haha, how awesome. My grandma just called to talk about the game. She knows a lot about this stuff too and watched every game so far.
my grandma is the EXACT same. but then also on the area of every other sport that is out there. especially tennis.

Andy
06-12-2006, 12:12 PM
But we all know that recently Italy suck at playing teams who are "worse" than them. Not to mention, the Ghanan (?) players could well be more used to this heat than the Italians..

T-6005
06-12-2006, 12:14 PM
But we all know that recently Italy suck at playing teams who are "worse" than them. Not to mention, the Ghanan (?) players could well be more used to this heat than the Italians..
This is definitely true. They seem to be holding true to that right now. Although they're definitely creating more opportunities.

EDIT - So I don't have to make a new post. I found one of the Italian players really funny just now.

His shot came off the post and he got all mad and started yelling and waving his hands around. I call it "italian mad."

Preocupado
06-12-2006, 12:48 PM
At this rythm it's gonna be Italia ftw, but.... OLÉ much?

Andy
06-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Great goal by Pirlo. Ghana have been playing fantasticly, but Italy have got that killer instinct up front that Ghana are lacking.

arak0r
06-12-2006, 12:49 PM
this has been the best match ive seen thus far. 1-0 for the azzuri. anyone that still thinks theyre an awful defensive orientated only team?

Andy
06-12-2006, 12:59 PM
this has been the best match ive seen thus far. 1-0 for the azzuri. anyone that still thinks theyre an awful defensive orientated only team?
We still need to see what happens in the second half. Remember, they've got a 1-0 lead to protect now!

T-6005
06-12-2006, 01:00 PM
Have any of Ghana's shots actually been on goal? I haven't seen a single one placed within the posts, they've all been wide or high.

Andy
06-12-2006, 01:03 PM
Yeah that's been Ghanas problem, they've been good in midfield, but lacking up front. I think it's because Amoah is too busy falling back to help out the mid, leaving few options further up field.

Tijs
06-12-2006, 01:11 PM
That one sure was a shot on goal!

platinumpt
06-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Italy surprised me tonight. They actually made more than just acting uberdefensive. They scored twice!!! Now seriously, good game for Italy, Ghana just don't have what it takes to beat 'em.

EDIT:

And tomorrow we'll have BRAAAAAAAAAAAASILLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!! YEAH! GO CANARINHOS!

Andy
06-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Good game that.

Italia311
06-12-2006, 02:14 PM
OHHHHHHHH YES!!!! WHat a start. What a start. ITALIAAAA E VERO!!!

FORZA ITALIA!

arak0r
06-12-2006, 02:21 PM
hah. great game. apparently even the president of fifa said its the best game so far. granted ole sepp isnt the most intelligent person ever.

Italia311
06-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Hhaha, you know what? I am bad because I missed the game (i was at work) and I checked the internet and found out. I didn't actually see the game but based on past performances, this 2-0 win for starters was good. Good for the team, and fans.

platinumpt
06-12-2006, 06:18 PM
Yes, I agree. If Italia keeps playing like that, they'll do REALLY good on this World Cup.

arak0r
06-12-2006, 06:46 PM
as long as they dont "almost" give up any more pk's :X granted they woulda been really harsh calls, either of those two plays coulda been called. still awesome game, loved seein them attack so well. i want the us to do good, and i'll feel bad if they get absolutely smoked by italy, but i wont be surprised. certainly will be happy for italy

Tijs
06-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Today's goals:

3PM - Australia vs Japan [3-1]
'26 0-1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHYhgpJ_9ss)
'84 1-1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bht292mD-Ss)
'89 2-1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28cehsoQucg)
'90 3-1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XORuZYxh9c0)
6PM - USA vs Czech Republic [0-3]
'05 0-1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ-fFmPr6bE)
'36 0-2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p921J9ONLxI)
'76 0-3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5n8sV0UaPw)
9PM - Italy vs Ghana [2-0]
'39 1-0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP72vdZfYvw)
'82 2-0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOw3HEBmoRA)

TheUnholyNightbringer
06-12-2006, 07:33 PM
My round-up:

Didn't see the Australia Japan game. Was asleep. Oh well.

USA and the Czechs.. well I'm glad the Czechs won, because they're my pick to do uber-well. Again, I didn't see much of the game, but I heard a lot of people say USA sucked and I think that was a little unfair. They did alright, the Czechs just did better. Second goal was an absolute belter. Goooo Czechs.

Italy and Ghana.. well, it was a massacre really, wasn't it? Didn't expect any different, but I'd have liked to have seen the Italians stuffed. Alas, was not meant to be.

Alright, shitty roundup, but I'm going to bed.

Italia311
06-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Ghana's goalie played amazing. It could have easily been a 6-0 game for Italia. Kingston I think his name was, he was amazing.

arak0r
06-12-2006, 09:23 PM
if the italians finished better, it woulda been 6-0 because of kingson. they kept saying kingston, but i didnt see a t on the back of his jersey :| but anyway, on the first 6 corners or so, he was NOWHERE near where he needed to be on the cross. completely confused it seemed. he did settle down though

OnSpring!
06-12-2006, 11:46 PM
Forza azzurri!
And tonight i'll watch brasil! :D

HeadAroundU
06-13-2006, 12:11 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/HeadAroundU/Oooooopenyourmouth.jpg
Ooooooopen your mouth!
:D

JoY
06-13-2006, 03:20 AM
Australia: go Guus, go Guus, whoo!

Rocky-girl
06-13-2006, 03:30 AM
I haven't seen Italy/Ghana:(
But I watched Australia/Japan:)That was great! I'm glad that their choach will soon come here:)

Tijs
06-13-2006, 04:08 AM
Australia: go Guus, go Guus, whoo!
And Neeskens! Go Neeskens!

Andy
06-13-2006, 04:12 AM
I think Australia could "do a South Korea" this year. What you think?

JoY
06-13-2006, 04:17 AM
that'd be hilarious. South Korea was more.. sympathetic, though.

Andy
06-13-2006, 04:20 AM
That and they were on home soil. The Aussies have got a better team, mind. Granted they're in a horrible, horrible group.

Evka.pl
06-13-2006, 04:53 AM
that'd be hilarious. South Korea was more.. sympathetic, though.

not when they kicked our asses 4 years ago hehe

JoY
06-13-2006, 04:57 AM
GO GUUS GO GUUS GO!

just kidding. ;p but you'll have to admit: they were most definitely on a roll.

T-6005
06-13-2006, 04:58 AM
I'm hoping France will actually win a match this World Cup.

Sin Studly
06-13-2006, 05:01 AM
Looks like breaking that witchdoctor's curse on our soccer team might have worked.

Evka.pl
06-13-2006, 05:02 AM
I'm hoping France will actually win a match this World Cup.

sure they will! after all, senegal doesn't participate in the WC this year:)

offspringer24
06-13-2006, 06:15 AM
france wont win they got frogs legs like your mom

Tijs
06-13-2006, 06:33 AM
Togo scores! 0-1!

And they're doing some kinda monkey dance!

Andy
06-13-2006, 06:34 AM
And they're doing some kinda monkey dance!
Self-racial pwning! :eek:

Tijs
06-13-2006, 06:36 AM
Ha, yeah. I'll upload the video of it later.

edit:
'29 0-1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNPLmiSOt8E) Togo scores
'53 1-1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFZamQE6VHk) South Korea scores after Abalo got a red card after yellow twice.
'72 2-1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8JjpiFIjoA) South Korea plays more agressive, and it pays of!

arak0r
06-13-2006, 07:34 AM
feel bad for togo, but i wanted korea to win anyway :\ second goal was great

T-6005
06-13-2006, 07:41 AM
I'm impressed by the comeback. African teams have been playing fairly well this World Cup, but none have stood out so far.

Tijs
06-13-2006, 07:54 AM
Dick Advocaat wins!
Marco van Basten wins!
Guus Hiddink wins!
Leo Beenhakker wins!

T-6005
06-13-2006, 09:43 AM
I can't believe this game. The score should already be France 2, Switzerland 1, 43 minutes in.

platinumpt
06-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Tijs, thanks to your uploaded videos of the World Cup goals I'm getting increasingly more popular at my office ;P

Tizzalicious
06-13-2006, 09:51 AM
Yeah. France plays so beautifully, and the chances to score are so well executed. And they fuck it it up every time. It's so painful to watch!

-WCM

HeadAroundU
06-13-2006, 10:03 AM
Ribery sucks ass.
*waiting for trezeguet*

Tijs
06-13-2006, 10:10 AM
Tijs, thanks to your uploaded videos of the World Cup goals I'm getting increasingly more popular at my office ;P
Ha, don't mention it. I just love playing around with my DVD recorder. I've got them all in high quality aswell, and tonight I'll upload even more goals.

Tizzalicious
06-13-2006, 10:57 AM
That was so boring. I expected better of France. I really did. I enjoyed the Russian referee though.

- WCM

T-6005
06-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Goals should have been scored in the first half. The second half was very badly played.

And yeah, what the hell was up with the referee?

HeadAroundU
06-13-2006, 11:06 AM
And yeah, what the hell was up with the referee?
He was perfect! seriously.