PDA

View Full Version : So I got just got accepted for A.S music.

mrconeman
06-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Yay and all that.

So I never did do GCSE level music and I just finished my A.S year in school (I'm guessing only U.K members will get this part) but anyway, I dropped out of Psychology and I auditioned the other day to do music at A.S during my A level year, and I got accepted purely on the fact that I can play pretty decently.

I'm thinking the subject itself is guna have a few things I'll need to understand that I would have learned at GCSE, like time signatures and maybe some theory.

So this is for anyone who has done GCSE and A.S, is there anything I should brush up on over the summer before my A.S music starts?

The Talking Pie
06-09-2006, 02:06 PM
Mr friend done A-Level music, then walked straight into a job at the same school teaching music to Years 7-13 after his exams. Yeah, I hated him for that.

the_GoDdEsS
06-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Care to explain to us, the Unaware, what A.S. is? And I've also seen you're Irish. Irish + music = good.

The Talking Pie
06-09-2006, 02:39 PM
AS (Advanced Subsidiary) is the first year of the two years of higher education here between secondary/high school and university. Some might call it college.

mrconeman
06-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Good explaination there TTP...and yes, I also hate your friend.
And yeah, we get to choose what music we study at some point I hear, I might do a traditional Irish thing, that or classical music.

Iddy
06-09-2006, 04:22 PM
Congratulations on that! Its often quite difficult to do a subject like that at advanced level without doing GCSE; you must be quite decent at playing!

The AS will probaley carry on from where GCSE left, but it should be easy to catch up and they should go over the basics anyway.

If you do choose to do an Irish trad. project, please share... I think Sim put it perfectly :)

Anywhoo, good luck with that

Andy
06-10-2006, 03:37 AM
Well done buddy. I wish I would have taken music :(

Tux_Rocks
06-11-2006, 08:41 AM
I did AS music at college and it was sort of easy. It would be helpful to learn some theory though like scales, semi tones and tones, chords etc. You learn about all different types of music on that course like classical and jazz and such. I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

TheUnholyNightbringer
06-11-2006, 08:42 AM
I've heard AS music is piss-easy. That's my complete input.

mrconeman
06-11-2006, 11:49 AM
Cheers guys, I feel slightly more confidant about it all now.