PDA

View Full Version : Easy Mac

coke_a_holic
06-11-2006, 11:37 AM
The person who invented Easy Mac deserves 8 nobel prizes. Just add water? Fucking brilliant! Discuss the sheer genius of macaroni and cheese where all you need is water and a microwave.

http://www.kraft.com.au/products/KRAFT_easyMac/images/easyMac_leftmontage.jpg

Idiot
06-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Macaroni Cheese is easy to make anyway.

0r4ng3
06-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Not if you're the kind of cook that burns cereal. Which I have done before.

coke_a_holic
06-11-2006, 12:20 PM
So? It takes longer to make it; it's much easier just to pour water on some noodles and microwave them for three and a half minutes.

JoY
06-11-2006, 12:24 PM
I absolutely applaud easy meals like this, but aren't they like, very old news?

SkunkIt
06-11-2006, 12:27 PM
I worry about the added ingredients and preservatives in them, yet I like junk food, which is worse.

coke_a_holic
06-11-2006, 12:38 PM
I absolutely applaud easy meals like this, but aren't they like, very old news?
Yeah, but I was in the middle of making an easy mac and just felt like the idea deserved an appreciation thread.

JoY
06-11-2006, 12:41 PM
man, these days you can even make mashed potatoes with a bit of boiling water. now that I find pretty fucking revolutionary. all the noodle dishes you can make with boiling water - duh! you need boiling water to make noodles anyway, they just made it slightly more easy & faster. but potato powder from a box, add some boiling water, tadaa, you've got perfectly good mashed potatoes - freaking fantastic!

Thomas
06-11-2006, 02:24 PM
I have always been extremely passionate about my macaroni and cheese. Ever since I was a wee child, macaroni and cheese has been my favorite food. I don't like Easy Mac because you are sacrificing flavor to save yourself about 5 minutes. Over the years, I have perfected the art of making macaroni and cheese, and I can get it down to about 10 minutes. 15 minutes if I'm not in a rush. Also, I like to add real cheese to my macaroni and cheese. It gives it more falvor and a better texture. I always viewed Easy Mac as macaroni for little kids who aren't big enough to use the stove yet or for people who have kids that want macaroni and cheese when no one else wants it. Of course, I can easily eat a full box of regular macaroni and cheese, even after adding a cup or two of more noodles, so Easy Mac isn't very practical for me. I just don't see the point of spending several dollars extra and sacrificing taste to save a few minutes. Sure, it has it's uses, but if you aren't in a rush or if you are really hungry, Easy Mac isn't the way to go.

Thomas
06-11-2006, 02:24 PM
man, these days you can even make mashed potatoes with a bit of boiling water. now that I find pretty fucking revolutionary. all the noodle dishes you can make with boiling water - duh! you need boiling water to make noodles anyway, they just made it slightly more easy & faster. but potato powder from a box, add some boiling water, tadaa, you've got perfectly good mashed potatoes - freaking fantastic!

Okat, that is pretty incredible. If I ever see that in the stores, I am totally getting it.

Sunny
06-11-2006, 02:27 PM
i hate you guys.. i'm *trying* to stay on a diet and now i'm craving mac&cheese, ramen, fettuccine alfredo, mashed potatoes and gravy, biscuits...

oh, fuck. i'm gonna have a god damned carrot. like a horse, yes. nyyyeh.

Lizardus
06-11-2006, 02:31 PM
Mashed taters for the ultimate win!

Llamas
06-11-2006, 02:45 PM
those mashed potatos ARE amazing.

as far as easy mac, when I was a freshman in college, living in the dorms, we didn't have a stove... we just have a microwave. So easy mac was where it's at. I much prefer real mac and cheese, and I like to add extra milk and butter to make it extra creamy. however, I can not finish an entire box of it... so that makes it less desirable to make. It's so much cheaper, though, and I think it tastes a lot better.

the mashed potatos, though... you save a TON of time, and sure you sacrifice flavor, but the amount of time you save is completely worth it.

Thomas
06-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Goddammit, now I have a giant bowl of macaroni and cheese in front of me.

Just a Girl
06-11-2006, 03:47 PM
why hasn't anyone picked up on the fact that SUNNY is DIETING? does this not seem unnecessary to anyone else? or did i miss something?

Sunny
06-11-2006, 03:57 PM
aw. it's totally necessary not because i'm "omg fatz", but because i'm developing pudgy little lumps here and there due to my sugar/white flour/junk intake. which is bad for everyone.. so i'm cutting down. AND IT SUCKS BIG FLOPPY ASS.

nieh
06-11-2006, 04:46 PM
I prefer regular Kraft mac & cheese to Easy Mac. However, when I'm at work regular mac and cheese just isn't an option. Easy Mac is great for times when your only means of cooking is a microwave.

Rag Doll
06-11-2006, 04:50 PM
i think even the thought of easy mac is nauseating.

nieh
06-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Do you like regular mac & cheese?

Rag Doll
06-11-2006, 05:03 PM
yes. but only kraft. and only cooked a very specific way, otherwise i won't eat it. which is why easy mac is so gross.

plus i'd prolly fuck it up, so it wouldn't really be easy for me.

edit: and dude, where are you? =(

nieh
06-11-2006, 05:06 PM
How does it have to be cooked?

I've been at work for the last half hour and haven't touched a thing yet. Now I know how much fun it is to be my co-workers.

Rag Doll
06-11-2006, 05:11 PM
haa, i don't know, cause my mom does it =p. but if the macaroni is too...soft/mushy/etc, i won't eat it. if the cheese stuff is too watery or too thick, i won't eat it. i'm picky =x

Jebus
06-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Recently, I've been addicticted to these instant chow mein thingies ever since my mom has been buying them. I think they only cost a dollar and they're delicious. They're basicaly just regular instant noodles(the kind you find in bags not cups) but they come with a seasoning bag and a vegetables bag. All you do is fill the tray that holds the noodles and vegetables with water(there's a line on the tray to tell you where to stop) and put it in the microwave for a few minutes. Then you mix in the season when it's done.
http://noodleson.com/review/category/others/nissin-usa/

They pwn the easy mac me thinks.

Mota Boy
06-15-2006, 04:53 AM
Here's the thing that blows my mind - a regular pasta dinner is apparently becoming either too hard or too time consuming to make, so a product emerges to fit the market - Macaroni and Cheese.

You just pour the dried macaroni into a boiling pot, add the mixture in the packet, some butter and salt and voila, a dinner. Easy as hell.

But no - then society degrades to the point where we can't even operate a damn stove, where twenty minutes of waiting for a pot boil becomes too long for the ol' attention span, where four steps become too complicated. And then we get the birth of Easy Mac. Add noodles, add powder, add water and put in the microwave. Voila.

You'd think that we couldn't possibly get any more retarded. You'd think that there wasn't a single human being alive that would look at Easy Mac and think "You know, this is some great tasting food, but it's just too damn complicated." You'd think the market just didn't exist for an even more watered-down version of "pasta". You'd think that, as a culture, we'd officially hit rock bottom.

But it seems we hadn't.

Oh no, not by a long shot.

http://www.theimpulsivebuy.com/images/easymac.jpg

JoY
06-15-2006, 05:16 AM
the mashed potatos, though... you save a TON of time, and sure you sacrifice flavor, but the amount of time you save is completely worth it.
sacrifice flavor? no way. just add some butter, milk if you want, herbs, pepper, salt & you're all set.

Sunny
06-15-2006, 05:35 AM
man, if i'm gonna eat mashed potatoes, they better be made from scratch.

same goes for fries. i <3 homemade fries.

and mota - yes. saddening, really.

Rocky-girl
06-15-2006, 06:09 AM
I think that they all have unnatural flavour. But easy.
But I don't like them.

Vera
06-15-2006, 07:18 AM
I agree. My mum always makes the frozen bag shit and I'm like "Geez, just boil peel some potatos, boil, mash them, add milk! A little effort is so worth the great taste!". This is one of the main reasons our family mostly eats rice and pasta, though - so easy. Oh and summer potatos. Laziness but at least it's still home-cooked, we're not buying rice that comes in bags that you steamcook in the micro, like WTF is that about?

I never got mac&cheese anyway... That is, if it's *just* mac&cheese, no veggies or meat in it, mixed with spices.

noodlesfan
06-15-2006, 08:34 AM
i put little chunks of ham or spam in my mac and cheese

JoY
06-15-2006, 09:39 AM

same goes for fries. i <3 homemade fries.

yes, I agree. I fully agree. but I live in a house of five students, my room is a mess, my laundry is piling up like it's the Mount Everest, I eat a bowl of yohgurt for a breakfast & some crackers for lunch, lately I don't sleep till at least 1 in the morning & don't get out of bed till twelve in the afternoon. & this is lately, because normally I get out of bed when I have to, but I haven't had to in 1.5 week.

I'm a disgusting, vile, lazy, repulsive student - smoker I might add - who thinks making actual mashed potatoes - something I would eat with love & pleasure, especially because of the "hard work" it takes - is a liiiitle too much work. let's just say I embody the ultimate stereotype of a student. I'm a stereotype on legs, who loves mashed potatoes. unlucky.

& Sanni, it tastes better than that frozen crap.

Llamas
06-15-2006, 06:35 PM
joy. you just got through saying above that no flavor is sacrificed in making the instant kind... then why on earth would anyone ever make them from scratch? real mashed potatos do taste way better than instant... it's really true! But I'm just as lazy as you... making food is hard. it takes time. sometimes I'll really want something like tacos or spaghetti, and then heat up a burrito cause it's easier. sometimes I disgust myself :-/

noodlesfan
06-15-2006, 06:39 PM
eating instant mashed potatoes (powder form) makes you feel all bloaty and constipated.

All About Eve
06-15-2006, 06:48 PM
I hate Mac&Cheese.

0r4ng3
06-15-2006, 06:49 PM
I'm waiting for someone to come up with "Instant Toast!"

Hell, I'd buy that.

All About Eve
06-15-2006, 06:50 PM
Croutons, Jesse?

Edit: oh, and Melba Toast.

coke_a_holic
06-15-2006, 06:51 PM
I want instant easy mac, where you put water on a pill and it becomes an easy mac package for you to make. Now THAT is practical.

0r4ng3
06-15-2006, 06:51 PM
Croutons, Jesse?

Edit: oh, and Melba Toast.Yeah, my first idea was "Instant Cereal!", but I knew that actually exists.

noodlesfan
06-15-2006, 06:52 PM
I'm waiting for someone to come up with "Instant Toast!"

Hell, I'd buy that.
Powdered toast man!!

All About Eve
06-15-2006, 06:53 PM
The most practical would be to drop water on a pill and have someone pop out and have it already made for you.

0r4ng3
06-15-2006, 06:56 PM
Or have a pill where someone pops out, drops water on the instant Easy Mac pill, and a prepared bowl of Easy Mac pops out.

Ah, convienience.

lost_nvrfound
06-15-2006, 07:16 PM
You'd think that we couldn't possibly get any more retarded. You'd think that there wasn't a single human being alive that would look at Easy Mac and think "You know, this is some great tasting food, but it's just too damn complicated." You'd think the market just didn't exist for an even more watered-down version of "pasta". You'd think that, as a culture, we'd officially hit rock bottom.

But it seems we hadn't.

thats what i thought with instant oatmeal

ITS POWDERED TOAST! LOADED WITH VITAMIN FFFFFF!

- -Lauren- -
06-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Easy Mac IS genius. We always have a box somewhere.

Pop-Tarts pwn everything. And those smoothie in a pouch things! Just put it in a blender and add whatever it says!

0r4ng3
06-15-2006, 07:21 PM
I got it!

"Instant Water!"

Just add water.

noodlesfan
06-15-2006, 07:22 PM
pop tarts are magical, they are the only food known to man to destroy the taste of weed in your mouth.

lost_nvrfound
06-15-2006, 07:28 PM
pop tarts are magical, they are the only food known to man to destroy the taste of weed in your mouth.

idk... tacos dipped in pizza sauce did a pretty fabulous job of that... or was it the chinese food?... idk

noodlesfan
06-15-2006, 07:30 PM
idk... tacos dipped in pizza sauce did a pretty fabulous job of that... or was it the chinese food?... idk
either way, toothpaste and mouthwash DOESN'T work

Sinister
06-15-2006, 07:31 PM
why would one want to lose the taste of weed ?
as far as my experience of it goes, it's not bad.

- -Lauren- -
06-15-2006, 07:34 PM
Apparently frozen pop-tarts are one of THE BEST things to throw at people. I've heard it hurts like no other, and it so fun to throw!

Frozen potatoes beat frozen pop-tarts though by a mile. But a frozen potato at enough speed could probably knock you out.

lost_nvrfound
06-15-2006, 07:34 PM

there are many tastes that i'd rather have in my mouth

noodlesfan
06-15-2006, 07:36 PM
there are many tastes that i'd rather have in my mouth
I'm one of them

noodlesfan
06-15-2006, 07:37 PM
think of it like mint, mint is a good taste, but it sucks if you try drinking orange juice, or anything else for that matter.

Thomas
06-15-2006, 08:33 PM
Here's the thing that blows my mind - a regular pasta dinner is apparently becoming either too hard or too time consuming to make, so a product emerges to fit the market - Macaroni and Cheese.

You just pour the dried macaroni into a boiling pot, add the mixture in the packet, some butter and salt and voila, a dinner. Easy as hell.

But no - then society degrades to the point where we can't even operate a damn stove, where twenty minutes of waiting for a pot boil becomes too long for the ol' attention span, where four steps become too complicated. And then we get the birth of Easy Mac. Add noodles, add powder, add water and put in the microwave. Voila.

But it seems we hadn't.

http://www.theimpulsivebuy.com/images/easymac.jpg

I whole-heartedly support this post.

JoY
06-16-2006, 03:17 AM
joy. you just got through saying above that no flavor is sacrificed in making the instant kind... then why on earth would anyone ever make them from scratch? real mashed potatos do taste way better than instant... it's really true! But I'm just as lazy as you... making food is hard. it takes time. sometimes I'll really want something like tacos or spaghetti, and then heat up a burrito cause it's easier. sometimes I disgust myself :-/
you sacrifice some of the flavour mashed potatoes made from scratch have, but mostly the charm of making mashed potatoes.

but if you add some butter/milk/both, herbs, salt & pepper, it definitely tastes good. not great, good. it's not like soaked cardboard, which I often think instant noodles are. I mean, instant noodle meals often are pretty fucking tasteless, if you ask me. mashed potatoes from a baggy do taste like mashed potatoes. it just doesn't have some of those lovely potato lumps, that full taste of potatoes, but it's seriously extremely close. so you won't hear me complaining. you just have to add your own flavour & you're all set, as in, it's not only not half bad, it makes a fine meal. for someone slightly lazy.

we only have four electric heatpannels to cook on (or whatever you'd call those), so our kitchen isn't exactly a cook's dream come true. or anyone's dream come true. we don't even have an oven. we have a microwave, a sandwitch grill & a coffee machine. sometimes it bugs me, but in the end, I hardly take the time to cook for myself (when I make dinner for other people it's a whole other story), I'm awfully lazy, so what else does one need?

JoY
06-16-2006, 03:20 AM
eating instant mashed potatoes (powder form) makes you feel all bloaty and constipated.
....you know, you're not supposed to eat it every day.

noodlesfan
06-16-2006, 05:28 AM
you're not supposed to,i know this now.

0r4ng3
06-16-2006, 05:32 AM
Who wants a glass of "Instant Water!"?

I wanted to mention it again because it was completely ignored the first time.

JoY
06-16-2006, 05:40 AM
I giggled at it the first time.

not the second, though. ;p

0r4ng3
06-16-2006, 05:45 AM
The second time wasn't meant to be funny. It was simply a reminder of the first one. I think it worked, though.