PDA

View Full Version : Songwriting

Apathy
06-11-2006, 05:49 PM
Who in your opinion is great at writing lyrics?

They dont' have to be the best singer, or even remotely good at singing for that matter.
Example?
Tomas Kalnoky. I've been listening to Streetlight Manifesto more than ever now, and jeez can that guy write a song. Practically every song has lyrics that you really want to listen to.

One Statement before I open up the floor. Don't say Dexter Holland. This is the other bands forum. The General Public will rip your fucking heart out and eat it in front of you. That is all.

xxDaOnExx
06-11-2006, 05:52 PM
JuSsTiiN TiiMbErrLaKe

Apathy
06-11-2006, 05:57 PM
As much as I would like to not even dignify that with a response, I can tell you one thing: Not a single person will find that funny.

I've never actually heard his music, so I won't call you a fuckhead, but I think it's pretty safe to say that someone else will.

edit: I've read some of you're other posts... and sadly, I think you might be serious.

Sinister
06-11-2006, 06:01 PM
for some reason I really like James Hetfield's songwriting (for Metallica, DUH)

and while we're at it, do you think xxdaonexx is a spammer/troll, or a genuine moronic 'tard ?

bd007h
06-11-2006, 06:15 PM
My favorite songwriter is Stephan Jenkins of Third Eye Blind.

Mr. Noodles
06-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Greg Graffin and Bret Gurewitz. Yeah, I know Bret Gurewitz is a dumbass hypocrite, but he (in cooperation with Greg) can write good lyrics and has written of Bad Religion's best songs.

Thomas
06-11-2006, 06:33 PM
I don't particularly like him, but Tom Waits is an excellent songwriter.

Apathy
06-11-2006, 06:33 PM
for some reason I really like James Hetfield's songwriting (for Metallica, DUH)

and while we're at it, do you think xxdaonexx is a spammer/troll, or a genuine moronic 'tard ?

At first I thought it was a joke.

Now I really can't tell.
I like Metallicas lyrics as well, even though They're not exactly my genre of choice.

ignition991
06-11-2006, 07:08 PM
I've always been a fan of Billy Corgan's song writing, mainly because he uses alot of metaphors in his songs and they all have deeper meanings. His voice is still kinda annoying though.

0r4ng3
06-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Tomas Kalnoky. I've been listening to Streetlight Manifesto more than ever now, and jeez can that guy write a song. Practically every song has lyrics that you really want to listen to.
Holy shit, I was thinkin the same thing. I heard "Kristina She Don't Know I Exist" for the first time earlier today, and I thought the lyrics were great, because it was stuff I could relate to.

I also like the lyrics of Dext--

*dodges tomato*

Jakebert
06-11-2006, 07:27 PM
My favorite is probably Michael Stipe. I like how he sings songs as characters rather than just himself. It gives his lyrics a range that most songwriter's don't have.

0r4ng3
06-11-2006, 07:31 PM
Oh, I just remembered another one. Scott Radinsky of Pulley, provided he's the one that writes the lyrics. I especially like Working Class Whore and Insects Destroy, lyrics-wise.

opivy21
06-11-2006, 08:05 PM
Mike Watt, D. Boon, and George Hurley from the Minutemen. They could write really trippy lyrics that didn't make any sense, but then they would write a really literal, honest song that makes a serious point. Gang of Four's lyrics are also pretty good.

And of course, Jack Grisham from T.S.O.L. I mean, who can't relate to Code Blue?

Thomas
06-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Wow. I can't believe I forgot Billy Corgan. That man is a genius with his lyrics.

John Lennon and Paul McCartney are worthy of mention as well.

coke_a_holic
06-11-2006, 10:43 PM
Thirds on the Kalnoky stuff. That man has a way with words. *swoon*

Professor Chaos
06-11-2006, 11:04 PM
Del the Funky Homosapien has some cool lyrics. He can write some pretty humorous stuff, and still maintain amazing flow. The Wacky World of Rapid Transit is one of my favorites.