PDA

View Full Version : Pop-Punk

Thomas
06-17-2006, 10:25 AM
I have been a fan of The Offspring for several years now, and I want to know if there are any other pop-punk bands out there that are just as awesome/more awesome. I don't mean most mainstream stuff like Green Day. I can get them anywhere. Just, someone reccommend me some good pop-punk music that I wouldn't hear on the radio everyday. Thanx.

Endymion
06-17-2006, 10:27 AM
http://www.last.fm/music/The+Offspring/+similar

0r4ng3
06-17-2006, 10:36 AM
http://www.last.fm/music/The+Offspring/+similar
Wow, none of those bands are similar. Red Hot Chili Peppers? Metallica? AC/DC? I suddenly lost a little bit of faith in Last.fm.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, those are great bands, but, like I said, they're not similar to The Offspring.

Betty
06-17-2006, 10:49 AM
I hope this is a serious thread. I assume it is.

From my collection:

Unwritten Law - I like the albums S/T, Blue Room, Oz Factor
I like to describe these guys as "pop punk at its finest"

Jughead's Revenge - Pearly Gates

Screeching Weasel - BoogadaBoogadaBoogada

88 Fingers Louie - 88 Fingers up Your Ass

Anti-Flag - A New Kind of Army/Die for your Government

The 4 above bands have some really poppy stuff and some kinda more hardcoreish stuff, but those albums are all enjoyable.

The Vindictives - The Many Moods of the Vindictives

... is an awesome CD.

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - older stuff like "Are a Drag" "Have a Ball" "Blow in the Wind" ... a cover band... but really fun to listen to

And then of course there are all the more mainstream punk bands which you have to listen to if you don't already:

Bad Religion (Grey Race), Rancid (... and Out Come the Wolves), Pennywise (whateve albumr), NOFX (Pump up the Valuum), The Vandals (Hitler Bad, Vandals Good)

Those are just one suggestion for each band, but most have a number of good albums.

I'd upload some songs but have to go to work! Let me know if you want some later.

Endymion
06-17-2006, 10:51 AM
Wow, none of those bands are similar. Red Hot Chili Peppers? Metallica? AC/DC? I suddenly lost a little bit of faith in Last.fm.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, those are great bands, but, like I said, they're not similar to The Offspring.
that's why you scroll down past the soup of "these are the popular bands everyone listens to" crap.

JohnnyNemesis
06-17-2006, 10:53 AM
Listen to random songs from Unwritten Law, Pulley, Jughead's Revenge, older AFI, 98 Mute, DFL, Ten Foot Pole, One Hit Wonder, older Guttermouth, Vision, etc.

the_GoDdEsS
06-17-2006, 11:04 AM
Andy needs to post that horrible song here.

Piedude
06-17-2006, 11:42 AM
Honeycrack, kinda pop-punk band from the 90's your never going to hear on the radio

Jakebert
06-17-2006, 11:45 AM
How come no one mentioned the Descendents?

T-6005
06-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Matchbook Romance - mildly annoying vocals on the "My Stories, Your Alibis" album, but very, very well written songs nonetheless.

And the new album is, to be honest, awesome. The vocals are much better, and the songs are amazingly written.

Matchbook Romance are where pop-punk is at. The new album has hints of Muse, The Mars Volta, and all those little bits of those bands you love, without being overdone. They're brilliantly written pop-punk.

I'd also recommend giving Yellowcard's Ocean Avenue another listen - it's definitely worth it. Again, like on Matchbook Romance's first album, the voice is a bit too high, but the songs are very well done. And I think you, Thomas, would love the drumming - it's absolutely perfect.

notoriousdoc
06-17-2006, 11:56 AM
Guttermouth! Fucking amazing!

nieh
06-17-2006, 12:09 PM
Unwritten Law = very yay. Their s/t album is great.

Yes, but NOTHING beats Oz Factor. Oz Factor is both UL and pop-punk at its peak.

The S/T album would be perfection if Cailin, Before I Go, and a few others didn't exist. Still amazing though. Harmonic is underrated.

About 75% of Elva is phenomenal while the rest is pretty lame, but the best songs on Elva are probably the best they've done.

Yes. Actress, Model is one of the worst songs of all time, as are Sound Siren and How You Feel. But some of the other shit there is mindblowing. I adore Up All Night and a few others (Blame It On Me, anyone? Mean Girl! Cheesy lyrics, but still very good)

Here's to the Mourning was alright...

I got lazy and never picked that one up. Hm. Me has to catch up.

Plus some of the songs have really fucking bad lyrics.

This is extremely true on Elva as well; even the good ones have some shitty lyrics.

DeAtHsTaR
06-17-2006, 12:39 PM
Yes, definitely check out Unwritten Law. Don't write them off for Seein' Red.

Endymion
06-17-2006, 12:43 PM
this list any better?
http://www.last.fm/tag/pop%20punk

JohnnyNemesis
06-17-2006, 12:46 PM
I'd like to add that I'm one of te few who enjoys "Let's Go" by Rancid way more than "...And Out Come The Wolves", if only for Radio and Sidekick. But check out lotsa Rancid shit. good band.

And Thomas loves cover bands, so he'll love MFGG.

DeAtHsTaR
06-17-2006, 01:13 PM
And Thomas loves cover bands, so he'll love MFGG.
I second that. Me First and the Gimme Gimmes are fucking awesome. I've only heard 8 songs, though.

jacknife737
06-17-2006, 01:40 PM
Alkaline Trio

The Descendents

None More Black

Against Me!

No Use for a Name

Unwritten Law

The Mr. T Experience

Lagwagon

That_Guy91
06-17-2006, 04:09 PM
How come no one mentioned the Descendents?
I wasn't here yet.

Anyway, Thomas, I would suggest Cool To Be You by The Descendents and Live Fast, Diarrhea by The Vandals.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
06-17-2006, 06:50 PM
Unwritten Law, I will agree with. To finish what nieh was saying: Oz Factor was a really good album, all the others are more of song-samplers/downloaders (except for s/t, which I haven't heard).
--
The Explosion, a band on the rise. Check out their No Revolution EP and Flash Flash Flash. The Black Tape seems to be their most popular, but a bit too poppy, yet can be to your liking.
--
Autopilot Off, before I heard about The Offspring, these guys were my favorite band. They have a rock/punk/pop perfect sound to them. They only released a self-titled EP, which is superb, and the full-length Make A Sound, which is one of my favorite albums of all time.

I hope I helped.

Rag Doll
06-17-2006, 07:55 PM
only skimmed through the topic, but i do agree you should listen to unwritten law. I also say the ataris. my favorite cd of theirs is *blue skies, broken hearts...next 12 exits*. it has their big *san dimas high school football rules* on it. another rec from me might be hard to find, as they are a new jersey band and they broke up if i recall correctly...but try to find some stuff by The Youth Ahead. not sure if their site is still up but you can google them.

if you do find some clips from tya or decide to check them out and cant find anything...lemme know. i have a cd i can rip for you.

opivy21
06-17-2006, 07:56 PM
Mine have been said, but for emphasis -

Descendants
Lagwagon
Down By Law
Bad Religion is O.K.

Oops, forgot Bouncing Souls.

Apathy
06-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Get 'Lets Talk About Feelings' from Lagwagon. It's probably one of my favorite albums. It's the only album I have by them, but I just love it.

Other good albums -
Millencolin - Pennybridge Pioneers
Bouncing Souls - How I spent My Summer Vacation

They're pretty popular bands. Chances are you've most likely already heard of them. But If you haven't, you should definately at least check them out without hesitation.

0r4ng3
06-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Personally, I think Trashed is my favorite Lagwagon album.

Though, I only downloaded it yesterday, so my opinon could change.

Jakebert
06-17-2006, 08:28 PM
Another one that I just thought of is ALL. It's the Descendents with a different singer.

JohnnyNemesis
06-17-2006, 08:41 PM
I second the Millencolin suggestion. Get "Pennybridge Pioneers" and "Life on a Plate" immediately.

nieh
06-17-2006, 08:55 PM
Apparently Rick editted my post instead of quoting it. I read through this and was incredibly confused wondering how someone posted that with my name.

JohnnyNemesis
06-17-2006, 08:59 PM
Fucking HELL. I've only made that mistake twice on this BBS, and BOTH happened with your posts.

I'm a fucking idiot :(

nieh
06-17-2006, 09:00 PM
You're just trying to censor me!

JohnnyNemesis
06-17-2006, 09:00 PM
This is true. Abuse of power!

nieh
06-17-2006, 09:05 PM
I'm totally gonna report you to Dexter Holland!

This is extremely true on Elva as well; even the good ones have some shitty lyrics.

But none of the songs off Elva have the lyrics "Slow dance, take a chance with me. Take off your pants with me!" so Here's to the Mourning wins in that department.

JohnnyNemesis
06-17-2006, 09:07 PM
Oh god, that's just...

Oh fuck no.

nieh
06-17-2006, 09:24 PM
Yes. Fortunately that's the worst one on there by far. Still, some of the others are pretty bad.

Apathy
06-18-2006, 04:06 AM
I second the Millencolin suggestion. Get "Pennybridge Pioneers" and "Life on a Plate" immediately.

How could I forget Life on a Plate? It's a little harder to find than Pennybridge, but It's a little better imo.

JohnnyNemesis
06-18-2006, 08:09 AM
I agree. Pennybridge Pioneers feels like more of a complete album, but song for song, Life On A Plate is probably the better album.

Thomas
06-18-2006, 09:40 AM
Cool. Thanks everybody! I am actually pretty familiar with Me First and the Gimme Gimmes. And I will definitely check out Unwritten law and The Descendants.

only skimmed through the topic, but i do agree you should listen to unwritten law. I also say the ataris. my favorite cd of theirs is *blue skies, broken hearts...next 12 exits*. it has their big *san dimas high school football rules* on it. another rec from me might be hard to find, as they are a new jersey band and they broke up if i recall correctly...but try to find some stuff by The Youth Ahead. not sure if their site is still up but you can google them.

if you do find some clips from tya or decide to check them out and cant find anything...lemme know. i have a cd i can rip for you.

I have the album So Long, Astoria. I am sorry, but I couldn't make it halfway through listening to it. It was one of the most depressing things I have ever heard in my life.

coke_a_holic
06-18-2006, 10:51 AM
Seeing as how I was just at Warped Tour, I have seen more pop-punk bands than I can physically stand.

I second the Anti-Flag, OLDER NoFX (before all their songs were lame political ones), and Unwritten Law, but add Against Me!, the Dead Kennedys, the Buzzcocks, and my favorite band: The Clash.

DeAtHsTaR
06-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Lagwagon, Bracket, and Strung Out. Whenever I listen to them I think of every motocross video ever made in the 90s. (those bands were in ALL of them, I swear)

bd007h
06-18-2006, 01:28 PM
Cool. Thanks everybody! I am actually pretty familiar with Me First and the Gimme Gimmes.

Just some random information, Chris Shiflett of the Foo Fighters is also in Me First and the Gimme Gimmes

DeAtHsTaR
06-18-2006, 01:30 PM
Just some random information, Chris Shiflett of the Foo Fighters is also in Me First and the Gimme Gimmes

Yep, plus the singer for Swingin' Udders and Fat Mike from NOFX, and some other dudes.

Apathy
06-18-2006, 01:36 PM
Seeing as how I was just at Warped Tour, I have seen more pop-punk bands than I can physically stand.

I second the Anti-Flag, OLDER NoFX (before all their songs were lame political ones), and Unwritten Law, but add Against Me!, the Dead Kennedys, the Buzzcocks, and my favorite band: The Clash.

You were just at warped?

Are you by any chance from Wisconsin? If so, you should have checked out Manic Sewing Circle and I Voted For Kodos. There was some Serious Skankage going down. That and there was the biggest Circle pit I've ever seen at another bands show.

coke_a_holic
06-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Nope, Washington, DC. Less than Jake was the only ska band there, and they barely count. :( :( :(

Apathy
06-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Boo. My friend tells me We Are The Fury has some ska songs, however I've never heard them, and My friend is very new to the genre. I know they were at your show.

Wisconsin had a lot more ska than I expected. Manic Sewing Circle, Sorry about your couch, Less Than Jake, I Voted For Kodos, High School Football Heroes. I also saw another ska band, but I didn't catch their name.

coke_a_holic
06-18-2006, 02:18 PM
We got Dog Fashion Disco, though, so I'm happy. They're kinda like Mr. Bungle with added catchiness. They did a wall of death (a la Lamb of God) with the 15 people that were watching. It was awesome, to say the least.

Apathy
06-18-2006, 02:32 PM
Nice...

Silent Film and Baby Satan sound pretty nice. Bands like that are always so much better live though.

coke_a_holic
06-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Pogo the Clown was their best one live, but 9 to 5 at the Morgue is unpleasantly absent from their myspace. I just downloaded it off soulseek, though.

Endymion
06-18-2006, 03:14 PM
the Silent Film Stars are a good band too... checkz 'em?

Rag Doll
06-18-2006, 03:37 PM
Thomas...what about the youth ahead? you only replied to one part of my post =\. *hurt*

Thomas
06-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Thomas...what about the youth ahead? you only replied to one part of my post =\. *hurt*

Oh my. I certainly was tired this morning! I didn't even notice that! I'll look them up just for you!

punk_chick
01-25-2007, 06:33 PM
you would most likley like, social distortion, Anti-Flag, the exploited, sex pistols, the casualities, and pennywise if you like "punk"

i know more...

nieh
01-25-2007, 06:43 PM
"Slow dance, take a chance with me. Take off your pants with me!"

I like the fact that this thread got bumped today because I just mentioned those lyrics to someone last night.

Endymion
01-25-2007, 06:48 PM
you would most likley like, social distortion, Anti-Flag, the exploited, sex pistols, the casualities, and pennywise if you like "punk"

i know more...

you sure are tru punx. i'm glad to have found another real punk rocker here on the boards and not another poser.

Rag Doll
01-25-2007, 06:51 PM
I like the fact that this thread got bumped today because I just mentioned those lyrics to someone last night.

we are so awesome and stuff.

Llamas
01-25-2007, 07:16 PM
I have the album So Long, Astoria. I am sorry, but I couldn't make it halfway through listening to it. It was one of the most depressing things I have ever heard in my life.
So Long Astoria is BAD. the one Sam mentioned is so much better. Listen to any older album.

Chris was also in No Use for a Name. And Me First is entirely made up of members of other bands. That's half the appeal.

StayInTheHouseCarl
01-25-2007, 09:40 PM
try the Matches "E. Von Dahl Killed the Locals"

the God Awfuls "Next Stop, Armaggeddon"

And also check out Nerf Herder

Venom Symbiote
01-25-2007, 10:24 PM
Just go buy "Somery" by the Descendents (compilation of their more well-known songs from the '80s), and both "Everything Sucks" and "Cool To Be You".

Those three albums are about the only non-Offspring pop punk albums worth having. Can't go past Descendents for awesome pop punk stuff.

"Sour Grapes", "Coolidge", "Descendents", "I'm Not A Loser", "I Like Food", all good shit off Somery.

And just about everything off the newer two records is gold.

Little_Miss_1565
01-25-2007, 10:28 PM
Everything on the newer two Descendents records? I liked the newest one, but it has NOTHING on Milo Goes to College.

Venom Symbiote
01-25-2007, 10:47 PM
Yeah, I don't have Milo...oh well. Their old stuff is very enjoyable in that kind of "barely talented yet immaturely awesome" kind of way.

Acoustic1804
01-26-2007, 03:36 AM
Unwritten Law

The Matches

Alkaline Trio

Anberlin

Antiskeptic

Less Than Jake

Funeral For a Friend (not sure if it fits but they rock)

Gyroscope

Halifax

Just Surrender

Mest

Senses Fail

Sugarcult

All good bands around about the pop/punk genre. It's probably my fav genre out of all of them. Check out especially the ones in bold.

Jakebert
01-26-2007, 05:15 AM
I dunno if anyone has mentioned them yet, but Pinhead Gunpowder is great. I know some people may write them off because of the connection to Green Day, but seriously, they're everything a good pop-punk band should be.

Kitten
01-26-2007, 05:50 AM
I'd suggest MXPX, Ryan's Hope, NOFX and maybe a little Unwritten Law.

bd007h
01-26-2007, 07:29 AM
Treble Charger has some pop/punkish stuff on their albums Wide Awake Bored and Detox

opivy21
01-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Crimpshrine is good.

DeAtHsTaR
01-26-2007, 03:55 PM
Treble Charger has some pop/punkish stuff on their albums Wide Awake Bored and Detox

American Psycho...

punk_chick
01-26-2007, 04:01 PM
you sure are tru punx. i'm glad to have found another real punk rocker here on the boards and not another poser.

yeah, isn't it great though, i love all of it....
punk is great and i love it for sure

bd007h
01-26-2007, 05:30 PM
American Psycho...

good song .

nameless
01-28-2007, 03:31 PM
id recommend checking out fabulous disaster!