PDA

View Full Version : I need computer//internet//browser help!

Tizzalicious
06-17-2006, 11:12 PM
I have 2 little problems.

1. Whenever I go to gmail on my PC Mozilla freezes. The log in page works fine, but as soon as I log in, it goes wrong. I tried deleting my cookies, and the cache (I think that's what I did at least.), and I want to delete the temporary files, but I don't know where to do that.

Does anyone know what could be the problem? (And where I could delete the temp files?) It works fine on my laptop =/

2. Then I figured maybe it would work on IE. So I open IE, and then came to the conclusion that the internet doesn't even work on there, I cna't connect to any site. The "work offline" thingie is not on, so that's not it. I don't know what's up with that either.

Anyone who can help? That'd be awesome.

Lizardus
06-18-2006, 12:04 AM
Did you tried using another browser?

Tizzalicious
06-18-2006, 12:07 AM
Like I said, I tried using IE, but the internet doesn't work on there, and I thought downloading ANOTHER one would be a little crazy.

Jebus
06-18-2006, 12:15 AM
I tried deleting my cookies, and the cache (I think that's what I did at least.), and I want to delete the temporary files, but I don't know where to do that.
When you deleted the cache, you deleted the the temp files.

2. Then I figured maybe it would work on IE. So I open IE, and then came to the conclusion that the internet doesn't even work on there, I cna't connect to any site. The "work offline" thingie is not on, so that's not it. I don't know what's up with that either.
maybe your firewall(if you have one) is blocking it?

Endymion
06-18-2006, 12:16 AM
nah, try opera too: opera.com

it's difficult to say what could be the problem. google uses a lot of javascript etc.

Tizzalicious
06-18-2006, 12:21 AM
Jebus, okay, I don't think I have one...not one that I didn't have before at least, and it used to work =/

Endy, okay, I'll try that, (once I got my lazy ass out of bed and on the PC) thanks!

Jebus
06-18-2006, 12:32 AM
Maybe try reinstalling firefox(I'm assuming you meant firefox). If you still have the original mozilla, get the new firefox already.

As for ie, you probably tried it already, but try clearing the temp files/cookies on it too if you didn't. Also, limit IE's temp folder to 50mb if not already.

Endymion
06-18-2006, 12:45 AM
or if you want to use the suite, get the latest&greatest http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Tizzalicious
06-18-2006, 12:47 AM
Maybe try reinstalling firefox(I'm assuming you meant firefox). If you still have the original mozilla, get the new firefox already.

As for ie, you probably tried it already, but try clearing the temp files/cookies on it too if you didn't. Also, limit IE's temp folder to 50mb if not already.

I think I did...but I'm not sure, I'll do it again.

I'm using this Mozilla that also has a mailbox included...and I'd like to keep that (for my non-gmail mail...) I could check if they have an update on that too, though. I did get this quite a long time ago. Would I lose my favourites? Eep.

(Edit: Endy, yes that's what I'm using, except it's not called seamonkey, so I'll get that new version.)

Nina
06-18-2006, 12:53 AM
sounds hella annoying. I had the exact same problem and that was because my java scripts somehow got deleted.

Tizzalicious
06-18-2006, 01:03 AM
Hmmm, maybe it a javascript problem then...but how would I fix that? How did you fix it?

Nina
06-18-2006, 01:07 AM
Well the thing is that you have both IE and Firefox...

Only my IE javathing, whatever, got deleted. So I simply got Firefox and could open every page easily from that moment on.

But maybe that isnt your problem because I doubt every single page has java to that extend. And if IE doesnt work then maybe it's not that.

What I'd do is delete everything and reinstall everything, especially Firefox. Dont forget to save your favorites?

Tizzalicious
06-18-2006, 01:09 AM
I don't know how to save my favourites, because I'm an idiot :(

And what about my mail?

God I suck so much. Whatta computer n00b.

Nina
06-18-2006, 01:17 AM
maybe..

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#profiles

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#q2.2

I dunno :[ And I am a noob as well, it took me forever to turn flv to mpg. sigh.

Endymion
06-18-2006, 01:18 AM
i don't think you can delete your javascript engine...

and java and javascript are two completely different things.

anyway, tizz, try with opera. and you might want to update your mozilla suite to seamonkey. it should retain all prefs etc etc.

Nina
06-18-2006, 01:20 AM
Yes you can. There was a virus I caught and it idiotically told me to delete "a virus", though that was my javastuff. Maybe thats a German thing, I remember that it was in German.

Izie
06-18-2006, 01:25 AM
I'd help you, but I dunno how.

However I'm sleep deprived and hyper and I just wanna say HI2U!

HI2U!

Tizzalicious
06-18-2006, 01:29 AM
Awesome, it helped! Thanks Endy!

Now I just need to figure out how to fix IE. Or maybe not. I don't really need that anymore. I'll just install that plug in that Per has that can open IE windows in Mozilla for sites that aren't mozilla-proof.

HornyPope
06-18-2006, 01:31 AM
or if you want to use the suite, get the latest&greatest http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Lolz they have suites for browsers now?

And they use the oldschool netsape icons?

I installed it. Their community seems pretty awesome, from how the developpers are engaged in the products themselves as fans. Approved!

Tizzalicious
06-18-2006, 01:32 AM
Err, I have another question, I need a new virus scanner, because aparently the one I had (avast?) wasn't as free as I thought, because it ran out. Where can I get a good, free one, that won't ran out?

Endymion
06-18-2006, 01:34 AM
some time last fall the mozilla foundation said "fuck the full suite, we're only going to focus on firefox, thunderbird, and other stand-alone apps" and the community was like "screw you, some of us still totally dig the old netscape thing with everything in one app" so the seamonkey project was started. it's basically just keeping progress going on the full browser/email/html editor/irc/etc etc suit that the old netscape and then mozilla were.

Endymion
06-18-2006, 01:36 AM
Err, I have another question, I need a new virus scanner, because aparently the one I had (avast?) wasn't as free as I thought, because it ran out. Where can I get a good, free one, that won't ran out?
er, avast is free... make sure you had the home version: http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

Tizzalicious
06-18-2006, 01:40 AM
er, avast is free... make sure you had the home version: http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

Oh I see, I'm an idiot, I didn't realise I had to register, and could do that for free.

Wow, lots of Bella moments today.

HornyPope
06-18-2006, 01:41 AM
Wow I never was a "power-user" back in the browser wars days so I don't even remember what netscape provided beyond surfing the net.
Hmmm. Now I can certainly see why the mainstream public grew on a stand-alone browser though.