PDA

View Full Version : My Job Is More Boring Than Yours

wheelchairman
06-19-2006, 03:56 PM
So today I started my second job (Operation Per is in Debt!).

It's a 4 day job, starts at 9, and ends at 5 everyday.

Essentially what I do is I move files from the Project Documentation Folder to the General Documentation folder in the SAP system. And I have to do this for every project.

Here's the trick, SAP is a little tricky. So what I got to do, is find the file name in the Proj Doc folder. Copy it. Then I go to the Gen Doc folder, where I will click the plus button. Then I paste the file name there and look for it. This will take about 45 seconds. Once I find it, I click okay and repeat this process.

I do this for 8 hours a day. Over and over, and over again. There is 4 of us working on this. And there are 6,800 files we need to move.

:(

TheUnholyNightbringer
06-19-2006, 03:59 PM
At least you're not a postman!

LOL :D :D :D :D

Endymion
06-19-2006, 04:40 PM
i <3 my job

Tizzalicious
06-19-2006, 09:40 PM
I like Postman Per better than Copy & Paste Per :(

All About Eve
06-19-2006, 10:36 PM
I'd say lifeguard is worse. I had to sit in the sun and watch three kids for 8 hours on a fuckin Sunday. Just six. And I (because the other guy didn't show up) had to stay open the whole time, just for six little kids who couldn't swim to save their lives.

Tired_Of_You
06-19-2006, 10:43 PM
My job is okay I guess, even though I don't like it. I have to cut meat, be a cashier, clean everything,prepare the salads, the fries, the chickens, etc, etc, etcccc. I burn and cut myself almost everyday. Obviously, it's never as worse as when I had to get stitches. I don't care too much about that, I now hate to serve people, though. "Give me 1/2 pound of whatever and 1/4 of something else and this and that and oh, some salads too." :(:(:(

Per the postman is much better. Nice avatar.

Mota Boy
06-19-2006, 11:43 PM
I had a job like that when I was sixteen. I had to take blueprints from some construction company, run them through a giant scanner (which took about a minute), give them the correct file name, and throw them away. It was just me against a room full of blueprints.

My mom tells me that after about a month or so, she asked me how my job was, and I responded "Mom, I think I'm going crazy." They she says "And from the way you said it, I knew you were telling the truth."

There was a guy in company named Melvin, who, every so often, would ask how I was doing. He told me once "I feel for ya, man. Back in the days before computers you had to run blueprints through a giant scanner to print 'em off, and I knew a couple of guys who worked in a giant warehouse doin' that for a living. And they were the two craziest sons of bitches I know because all day that's all they did - scan blueprints."

DexterWannabe
06-20-2006, 12:11 AM
my job is to sort out old dentist-journals, not so fun at it sounds, i have to remove all the little x-ray-pictures and the sticker with that patients name on it from the folder, booring, oh yeah, btw, your jobs sounds so much more boring

Llamas
06-20-2006, 12:30 AM
My job is AMAZING. I sit in front of a computer for 8 hours, calling 17 year olds who have said they want to go to my university. And then I ask them questions. The AMAZING part is calling people with names such as the following:

Phonethip VanRongthong

Liberty Bell

Special Raper

Sparkle Lee

Vera
06-20-2006, 01:17 AM
My job is boring on the days I end up on a kiddy ride and there are no kiddies in the park to get on that damn ride. If it's good, the ride has a control room I can sit at and sing to myself or alternatively, be crazy ol' me and actually talk to myself. One night I entertained myself for maybe two hours by just practising my Swedish and German and Hindi by forming various customer-helping phrases out loud.

No one German has gladly ever asked me to recommend any cool rides to them so far, though, but I like to think I put my boredom to use.

Tizzalicious
06-20-2006, 01:19 AM
It'd be so funny if you would sing to yourself and accidently left the mic on.

T-6005
06-20-2006, 01:30 AM
I'm unemployed, so I sit at home all day, every day, and wait for the end of summer.

Vera
06-20-2006, 01:59 AM
It'd be so funny if you would sing to yourself and accidently left the mic on.
Most machines don't have a mic, but yeah, that would be sucky. :D

killer_queen
06-20-2006, 03:55 AM
I'm unemployed, so I sit at home all day, every day, and wait for the end of summer.
Same here. I hate going out when the wheater is so hot.

JoY
06-20-2006, 04:01 AM
Postman Per is the bomb.

I don't have a job. I finished my year & I have no idea what to do now. not having a job is boringer than CopyPaste job. I should get a job. I could really use the money.

Izie
06-20-2006, 04:05 AM
Unemployed too.

But I go to class and run billions of errands :/ I generally like being useful, but I went out at 8:30am, came back around 9 and was COMPLETELY SWEATY.

I HATE being sweaty.

Then I took a cab to my French class. And thank God they had airconditioning.

/rant, angries

And Per, shutup, it may be boring, but at least it's not difficult or stressful :p

JoY
06-20-2006, 04:10 AM
I think I deserve a vacation. I passed all my exams, finally finished my year, have no reason to stress out this time during summer... I keep thinking that there's still something I should do, something important that could make me fuck up this year again, but.. there just isn't. I really finished it. if I can find a way to relax, I will. I most probably won't, so I'll probably end up taking a job for this summer anyway.

HeadAroundU
06-20-2006, 04:50 AM
Go to study Electrical Engineering and Informatics. If you are smart enough, you will be "richman Per" one day.

BREAK
06-20-2006, 12:42 PM
As usual, Per is wrong. My job consists of:

- Sitting at a desk
- Doing Google searches
- Copy/pasting keywords
- Trying to figure out which CD to listen to next
- Goofing off for two hours each day after everyone else has gone home

Oh, it's even more awesome than it sounds.

0r4ng3
06-20-2006, 12:44 PM
What kind of job is that? It's perfect for me.

BREAK
06-20-2006, 12:48 PM
Quality assurance. Basically, glorified data-entry person. It's too good for most people.

Vera
06-20-2006, 01:16 PM
And Per, shutup, it may be boring, but at least it's not difficult or stressful :p
True. My brain is dying because I haven't studied but I honest to god don't know what the fuck to do with my life. So I'm just ... laming around when I'm not working. And I like that but it doesn't lead anywhere.

wheelchairman
06-20-2006, 03:13 PM
No break. I still win.

Today I went back into every file that we moved. And changed the status to "Released." I had to do this for every file and test case that is not on release.

:(

Nina
06-20-2006, 03:27 PM
Awww no sad smilies, I agree with Izie. Since it's a four day job, you should be happy about that! I hope they pay you good money (how much?).

I also feel really lazy lately. YAY SCHOOL IS OVER.

Tizzalicious
06-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Per, it's kind of ironic that you whine about having a boring job when you use the money you make with it to buy Star Trek DVDs. You obviously like being bored.

Jebus
06-20-2006, 11:09 PM
wait, what happened to the mailman job?

Tizzalicious
06-20-2006, 11:15 PM
He's a mailman on Saturday, this is just extra, to make more moneyz.

the_GoDdEsS
06-21-2006, 01:42 AM
After I graduated last year I stayed unemployed for four months straight. I needed to recover. So I was sitting on my arse drinking.

I can't handle those automatic kinda tasks very well. Do you dream about it yet?

neocon58
06-21-2006, 02:06 AM
My job consists of:

* Selling overpriced drinks, candy and popcorn
* Cinema checks/cleaning
* Telling people to get feet off seats
* Making popcorn

JoY
06-21-2006, 03:38 AM
* Telling people to get feet off seats

I totally wouldn't be able to deal with that. I used to do that all the time! except if I knew it could possibly bother anyone in any way. anyone not being the theater/cinema.

Nina
06-21-2006, 07:15 AM
It kinda grosses me out because shoes are dirty :[ (and feet, too)
I am not really bothered in the cinema because people usually dont put their feet THAT high (where the head is), but on buses/trains it is disgusting to see how an old woman takes her shoes off and puts her feat on the seat. EWWW.

All About Eve
06-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Pft, That's why you actually put your ankles on the seet instead of shoes, like most people do. That way it's a whole lot cleaner for the most part. And I hate it when they tell me to take mine down when I'm one of say ten people in the theater.

wheelchairman
06-21-2006, 11:31 AM
Nina my pay is about 14 euros an hour. Which is nice!

Nina
06-21-2006, 01:22 PM
Nina my pay is about 14 euros an hour. Which is nice!

YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO COMPLAIN.
No, really.

wheelchairman
06-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Well it's not as good as you think. Denmark has a much higher sales-tax than Germany. Ours I believe is 25%. Not to mention that there is additional environmental and health taxes for many things. So while 14 euros an hour is quite a lot in Germany, in Denmark it's very typical for temp job. I make more as a mailman. (14.50, :p)

Nina
06-21-2006, 01:32 PM
Aaah okay that does make sense.
You see, I worked for 6€/h before, and now I'd be HAPPY to get a 7€/h job, haha. Germany is lame. But if I work for 400€ or less/month, I wont have to pay taxes on it. Does that make sense? I hate explaining money stuff.
BTW is Tizz online or watching the game somewhere else? Do you know?

the_GoDdEsS
06-21-2006, 01:38 PM
25%? I'd move out. I have enough trouble dealing with 19%. :(

wheelchairman
06-21-2006, 02:02 PM
Tizz is watching the game. And I'm going to bed!

Sim, you don't notice the high sales tax when you are also paid high. If the sales tax went down I'd be paid less then.

the_GoDdEsS
06-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Yeah, I guess it works that way. Here it's still rather high considering the average salary.

wheelchairman
06-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I've never been to a place where I thought something was more expensive. Everytime I travel I'm like "omgwow cheapness"!

And, nope I haven't started dreaming about it yet. :/

Kerr
06-21-2006, 02:14 PM
Yay, I work at McDonald's part-time, but I can tolerate it for now, and I have to (it IS only part-time after all). The work is crap but that doesn't in the least bother me much knowing that I will be getting money in - and that's the main thing, I guess I ought to do so for University. At my stage of life, it is only really getting a part-time job as opposed to your main fill-time job, in order to earn extra money, and it is handy. It is far better than lazing around ALL the time (I do laze around but have previously done it too much).

What I generally do consists of making the burgers - laying down meat then taking them off and seasoning them (I never actually do the seasoning - practically no-one does), and dressing the burgers (consists of toasting them and dumping on the sauce). Or I lay down baskets of chicken patties, apple pies, fillet or fish fingers, vegetable patties etc. alongside toasting the buns and dressing those too to make chicken sandwiches, premières, fillets, bags or boxes of fingers or nuggets, vegetable "burgers" and all of that.

I have mostly been in the kitchen but I have recently been in the dining area a bit more. Only very briefly once I have done fries - lay down baskets of fries and box or bag them. And for my first two shifts I was on a till - the first shift was on the main front counter and the second shift was on a window, taking orders from cars passing through.

EDIT: I almost forgot to add - working here luckily offers flexible hours. You could work a morning shift or night shift on any day you like. I prefer midday shifts or evening shifts. Night shifts (which I do a lot of) tend to end up tiring, and morning shifts waste a valuable lie-in. I don't mind doing late morning shifts though. Ah well, nothing compares to a 9 to 5...

wheelchairman
06-21-2006, 02:16 PM
No, your work is interesting. I literally do the exact same thing for 8 hours straight.

Corpse
06-21-2006, 02:16 PM
I hear that the pay in McDonalds can actually be quite good compared to other places. Is this true?

Kerr
06-21-2006, 02:22 PM
Well, I will openly admit - I actually did enjoy working there. A lot. At first anyway. It is just that the work is so samey after months it gets really boring. It isn't the kind of job you can doss about in. You normally always have to do something. I actually find that really good because I am a lazy person and a job like McDonald's keeps you on your toes. Compare dressing many runs of burgers to standing around stocking shelves.

Of course, it gets boring, especially when you do the same thing ALL THE TIME, you just have to tolerate it. As I said, it gets you money and it's not an easy mission, or earning money shouldn't totally be treated as an easy mission in life, I think it's a better attitude to want to work to earn (as much as money for nothing fucking rules).

I don't like doing the dining area jobs as such, but I find it a relief when very tired and lacking of energy to work in kitchen since when I am tired, I am VERY slow (compared to other moods when I can go VERY quickly). In general though, doing this job, it purely depends on my mood. One thing I love about it though is that the fellow workers are great, and customers generally OK (in my experience anyway).

Though the pay isn't so great, £4 an hour or £4.85 (or 85p on top of any pay-rises if you start on £4 an hour) - I am on £4.12 and will be on £4.97. But when you do 3 eight hour shifts a week or 5 in two weeks, and look at what you get a month, it is actually great. And yeah, what I have said previously on how it is only a part-time job.

Betty
06-22-2006, 12:26 AM
My job kicks ass.

Go to school when I make it in... preferably 9:30 - 10:00 but often closer to 10:30 - 11:00. Check e-mail... maybe go through some stuff on my desk. Go into the lab and do whatever I need to do. Maybe run a reaction, run a column, filter stuff, run some NMRs, run some other measurements, etc. Listen to awesome music in the meanwhile. Go back to the office. Check e-mail. Flirt with the cute boys. Possibly go get sushi for lunch. Maybe read a paper. Update my lab book. Run some errands that I need to do (like getting Bob the computer guy to install stuff on my laptop). Dodge golf balls from the boys playing golf in the office. Maybe go talk to the boss about something. Go do more work in the lab. Sit and think for a while. It's a new adventure everyday.

Vera
06-22-2006, 12:37 AM
I got a driver's licence to a new ride yesterday! :D

Ironically, I've never ridden on it myself.