PDA

View Full Version : Romantic Comedies

killer_queen
06-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Am I an idiot for loving them? I can't stand action movies anymore and no one is making real comedies. Also I'm not a big fan of "good" movies. But people keep on making fun of me for watching them.

Just tell me I'm not the only one who loves them. Please.

Nina
06-28-2006, 10:10 AM
I like to watch them when I am bored. On Sundays they sometimes show really lame American romantic comedies that were made for American TV. They're fun to watch cause you just cant take them seriously.

Movies are one of my favorite hobbies; I enjoy good movies a LOT. But sometimes it feels nice to relax and have fun and forget about the movie again right after it's over.

Tizzalicious
06-28-2006, 10:10 AM
I love them too, but everyone knows I have bad taste in just about everything.

Nina
06-28-2006, 10:12 AM
Oh Tizz, not true at all. You have the best, BEST style in the world. And you like good food. And you like goodlooking men.
But...you dont like StarTrek. thus you have bad taste in movies and tv shows.

Tizzalicious
06-28-2006, 10:13 AM
And you like good food. And you like goodlooking men.

This is a lie. Taylor Hanson being the only exception.

Nina
06-28-2006, 10:15 AM
That reminds me..
BTW!!11 I tried soy milk again and liked it. Ha.

Tizzalicious
06-28-2006, 10:16 AM
That reminds me..
BTW!!11 I tried soy milk again and liked it. Ha.

I got good taste in milk!

You hippie.

Nina
06-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Whatta hippies!

Aw we totally spammed this thread. I feel guilty :[

Tizzalicious
06-28-2006, 10:18 AM
We suck :(

But at least we said we also like the movies!

killer_queen
06-28-2006, 10:23 AM
You guys ruined my thread full of my deep thoughts. :(

And I agree with Nina, Tizz. You have a great taste in a lot of things. Shopping with you must be the greatest thing for a girl.

Tizzalicious
06-28-2006, 10:26 AM
I usually shop alone :(

I even made 2 guys enjoy shopping! Too bad I can't convince Per it's fun :(

Izie
06-28-2006, 10:50 AM
99% of the time romantic comedies make me wanna kill whoever is closest to me. Except Love Actually. And some others, the names of which I fail to remember now.

Shopping with Tizz is <3333, I don't know how she managed to stand me though, I'm always in and out of a store in 5 mins, if I'm just looking for stuff for myself - either I like it or I don't. If I do, I try it on and either buy it or go out, and if I don't... I just go out.

Patience level for shopping = 0. It's genetic, my dad is the same. I guess that's why boys like shopping with me, lolz.

Tizzalicious
06-28-2006, 10:52 AM
See Iz, that's how I shop too, that's why I don't like shopping with people, because they look around for ages, and I need to browse quickly, spot what I love quickly (that's my main skill :P), so it's only good with someone who has the same shopping strategy.

Izie
06-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Ah I figure that's why we got along then :p

the_GoDdEsS
06-28-2006, 10:57 AM
99% of the time romantic comedies make me wanna kill whoever is closest to me.

Uh same. Except I'd replace it with 100% but that's because I haven't seen any good one.

wheelchairman
06-28-2006, 12:06 PM
The only good romantic comedies involve Adam Sandler. The rest are all trash. The worst people in the world (even worse than Hitler) are Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts.

- -Lauren- -
06-28-2006, 12:22 PM
I usually hate romantic comedies. The only ones I've ever liked were 50 First Dates (with Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler) and Bridget Jones's Diary (with Renee Zellweger, Hugh Grant, and some other british actor).

My friends made me go see The Break-Up with them. That was almost 2 hours worth of torture. I've had enough of Jennifer Aniston. My other friend who was brought and I were seriously thinking of leaving this and going into the next room for the remake of The Omen.

Well, it'd be better than two people fighting over a stupid condo.

T-6005
06-28-2006, 01:04 PM
Gulsah, if you're an escapist when it comes to movies I don't blame you. I know that I watch movies for. I watch action movies just because there's shit blowing up - I don't bother to think of how ridiculous the action is. Clearly you're more realistic, but romantic comedies aren't necessarily anything to be ashamed of - you just need to realize that your movie watching tendencies are escapist.

Mine are, for sure - when I want something different from that, I read books.

platinumpt
06-28-2006, 01:19 PM
The only good romantic comedies involve Adam Sandler. The rest are all trash. The worst people in the world (even worse than Hitler) are Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts.
Regarding your observation, Notting Hill must have been one of the biggest piece of trash I've ever seen in my life.

Dmarques
06-28-2006, 01:22 PM

Yeah...Adam Sandler is the man!

killer_queen
06-28-2006, 03:01 PM
99% of the time romantic comedies make me wanna kill whoever is closest to me. Except Love Actually. And some others, the names of which I fail to remember now.

Shopping with Tizz is <3333, I don't know how she managed to stand me though, I'm always in and out of a store in 5 mins, if I'm just looking for stuff for myself - either I like it or I don't. If I do, I try it on and either buy it or go out, and if I don't... I just go out.

Patience level for shopping = 0. It's genetic, my dad is the same. I guess that's why boys like shopping with me, lolz.
Love Actually was pretty good. I don't like the new romantic comedies in fact. My choices are generally Barefoot in the Park kind of stuff. I liked An Ideal Husband, though. Or any movie with John Cusack <3

And I am just like you when I'm shopping but boys totally hate shopping with me. Maybe my friends are just too gay =/

Gulsah, if you're an escapist when it comes to movies I don't blame you. I know that I watch movies for. I watch action movies just because there's shit blowing up - I don't bother to think of how ridiculous the action is. Clearly you're more realistic, but romantic comedies aren't necessarily anything to be ashamed of - you just need to realize that your movie watching tendencies are escapist.

Yeah, I think that's the reason. Weirdly, I've just realized it. Untill now I was wondering if I was one of those whiny stupid girls who claim that they're emotional and only watch romantic movies. Thanks.

Nothing can make me watch something which has Julia Roberts in it but I do find Hugh Grant cute so he doesn't annoy me at all. I can't understand why people hate him so much.

self-esteem771
06-28-2006, 03:14 PM
Am I an idiot for loving them? I can't stand action movies anymore and no one is making real comedies. Also I'm not a big fan of "good" movies. But people keep on making fun of me for watching them.

Just tell me I'm not the only one who loves them. Please. i watch soap opearas, "Days of our lives" is good. :cool:

wheelchairman
06-28-2006, 03:24 PM
Well once you've seen one Hugh Grant movie, you've seen them all. He plays the same character in every film. Except I once saw him in an action film, you wouldn't believe my shock.

You would love High Fidelity. However I don't consider that by any means a romantic comedy.

killer_queen
06-28-2006, 03:34 PM
Hugh Grant in an action movie? Never seen it. But I've seen him as a doctor in a stupid movie.

I've seen High Fidelity. And I <3 it.

- -Lauren- -
06-28-2006, 04:11 PM

Erin Brockovich (sp?) was pretty good though, but it wasn't really a romantic comedy, if you're referring to she's only bad in that sort of movie.

Vera
06-29-2006, 01:01 AM
Per doesn't know shit. Adam Sandler? Give me a break. Number one rule to romantic films: leads need to be gorgeous/charming enough for any viewer in the audience to imagine falling in love with them. You don't need to actually fancy the actor but you do have to be able to think "Wow, I can see why the girl falls for this guy!" or vice versa.

Adam Sandler hardly does it for most people. Hugh Grant, on the other hand, acting skills and all else excluded, does it for a lot of people. He doesn't do it for me personally, though, but I'm just one viewer.

I love romantic comedies, strangely enough. I've seen way too many Meg Ryan films, even though I don't actually like her too much. I've still seen When Harry Met Sally five times. Huh. Romantic comedies are like chicklit to me - I keep consuming both at regular intervals but while I *like* the genre, I can't remember the last time I've actually seen a really good romantic comedy. Hell, I can't remember the last time I've seen even a very entertaining romantic comedy. It's odd, hitting my head against a wall in hopes of it turning into marshmallow the next time I ram my head against it. Hmm.

Which brings me to Indian films, I guess. BW romantic comedies seem to have more flavour and emotion than its HW counterparts. I rejoice every time HW makes a good romantic film but that doesn't happen often, so I stick to Indian films.

wheelchairman
06-29-2006, 01:14 AM
You like Bollywood. Your taste is good, if you were in India.

Lauren, Erin Brockovich is horrible. It's the same character Julia Roberts always does. As mad magazine one put it, "a lawyer, with a heart. A prostitute with a heart. etc. etc."

Rocky-girl
06-29-2006, 05:08 AM
Oh, bad girls ruined Gulsah's thread! Gulsah, let me post here some my deep thoughts about romantis comedies. I agree with Nina, I like to watch them only because of it's funny moments:) But love isn't so funny.... Is this thought deep?

Iddy
06-29-2006, 12:51 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with romantic comedies. Most are just terrible, but theres a fair few I adore. Bridget Jones possibly has to be the best... theres a lil' Bridget in us all I suppose :o

Vera
06-29-2006, 02:23 PM
You like Bollywood. Your taste is good, if you were in India.
Shouldn't that be "your taste WOULD BE good, if you were in India"?

It's just a matter of taste, yeah, I guess, but on the other hand most people admit current Hollywood romantic comedies just aren't working.

killer_queen
06-29-2006, 02:27 PM
Shouldn't that be "your taste WOULD BE good, if you were in India"?

It's just a matter of taste, yeah, I guess, but on the other hand most people admit current Hollywood romantic comedies just aren't working.
Even I don't like current Hollywood romantic comedies. But I don't like the Bollywood romantic comedies either. Indian guys aren't really attractive for me.

BREAK
06-29-2006, 03:16 PM
Am I an idiot for loving them?

Yes.

Do screwball comedies count?

Duskygrin
07-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Polly & I got me in hysterics.

Vera
07-02-2006, 11:32 AM
So wait, what are your fave romantic comedies, Gulsah?

killer_queen
07-02-2006, 01:42 PM
Okay, I'll answer but please don't h8 me.

Firstly, Barefoot in the Park. I saw it like 8 years ago or something and after watching it again last month I decided that it's my favourite movie even though I don't find Robert Redfors that cute.

And of course there are Hugh Grant movies like Mickey Blue Eyes, Two Weeks Notice and Four Weddings and A Funeral.

After I saw John Cusack at Serendipity my love for Hugh Grant kinda died for a while. I like High Fidelity too but like Per, I don't count it as a romantic comedy. And I've just watched Must Love Dogs but it wasn't really good. I mean, even I am bored.

There must be more but I can't remember all of them right now.

Vera
07-02-2006, 01:55 PM
I looooved Serenpidity.

I also love old HW romantic comedies.

Sunny
07-02-2006, 01:58 PM
maybe i totally suck at being female, but i can't stand romantic comedies or movies about love of any sort. i just can't. like.. i get an itchy rash from watching meg ryan movies.

and it's not herpes. i swear.