PDA

View Full Version : The Wall

Thomas
06-29-2006, 11:10 AM
Yes, I'm talking about Pink Floyd's "The Wall." Of course, I am referring to the movie, not the album (which is incredible, btw). I saw this movie recently and I was blown away. I'd consider it one of the most underrated movies ever made (seeing as so many people hated it). I loved the sick and twisted story and the symbolism was brilliant. Has anyone else seen it? Your thoughts?

Yatesy
06-29-2006, 11:15 AM
Nah I haven't seen the movie yet but the album is quite good, not the greatest album by Floyd but still good, it's sort of wierd posting on a thread about The Wall whilst putting it onto my computer.

nieh
06-29-2006, 11:18 AM
Never saw the movie but the album is overrated. It's my least favorite of the Floyd albums I have. That's not to say it's bad, but just not up to par with their other stuff. Conceptually it's really good (the reoccuring musical themes and riffs, the story, etc.) but that doesn't make it any more fun to listen to.

killer_queen
06-29-2006, 11:48 AM
I've seen the movie. And found it brilliant. But if you've seen my thread on General Chat you should know that it wasn't my type.

Shortly, it's a great movie but I prefer watching Must Love Dogs instead.

Jakebert
06-29-2006, 11:56 AM
The movie is really good, but it's not something I can watch over and over again.

The album itself is good, but it's kind of lacking. Too many short fragmented songs, and not enough full songs. I mean, some of those little fragments are fitting and work to help the album, but some of them just seem forced into their spots.

Plus, The Wall was Roger Water's transformation from great musician to egotistical dickhead.

opivy21
06-29-2006, 12:02 PM
I hate Pink Floyd

ruroken
06-29-2006, 12:25 PM
the album is overrated.
It is! I thought it'd be really awesome, but it bored me.

Jakebert
06-29-2006, 12:27 PM
Yeah, but you like Incubus, so no one really expected much from you.

ruroken
06-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Sadly, I saw that coming.
Even sadder is that Dark Side Of The Moon bores me a bit. Because it takes so long for the actual music to fucking play on some of the tracks.
Could someone send me Wish You Were Here? I really want to hear it since everyone says his is better.

JohnnyNemesis
06-29-2006, 12:33 PM
Unbelievably overrated.

Jakebert
06-29-2006, 12:35 PM
Dark Side of the Moon is probably the most accessable that a Pink Floyd album is going to get, as most of the others have more epic songs that it does.

"It takes too long for the music to fucking play"? What? All of the album is music playing. With the exception of the alarm clocks before "Time" and the sounds before the opening track, it's all "music playing". If you mean the quiet parts that build up to climaxes and stuff, that's kind of the point. It's like an orcastra arrangement, it goes through different phases and movements to create an overall soundscape.

ruroken
06-29-2006, 12:42 PM
Yes, silence bores me.

Jakebert
06-29-2006, 12:44 PM
It's not silence...there's music, it's just quiet because it's building up.

ruroken
06-29-2006, 12:46 PM
Quiet = silence, though. I have ADHD, remember? I have horrible patience unless I'm doing something else, in which case music usually fades away.

Jakebert
06-29-2006, 12:48 PM
That would explain the reason you like Incubus...

nieh
06-29-2006, 01:05 PM
Dark Side of the Moon is probably the most accessable that a Pink Floyd album is going to get
Meddle

That would explain the reason you like Incubus...

You beat me to it.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
06-29-2006, 01:17 PM
"We don't need no education."
--
Didn't you learn about double negatives in school, Roger? Oh wait, you're "too cool for school".

Jakebert
06-29-2006, 01:22 PM
Meddle

That one is close, but I'd still say Dark Side of the Moon is a little more accessable.

coke_a_holic
06-29-2006, 01:27 PM
My personal favorite of their's is Animals, but to be fair, I only have it, Dark Side, and Wish you were Here. I'm going to download The Wall and Meddle sometime.

Jakebert
06-29-2006, 01:46 PM
Animals is probably my favorite as well.

BREAK
06-29-2006, 03:18 PM
Album = so good.
Movie = no good.

Smell it.

mrconeman
06-29-2006, 04:40 PM
"We don't need no education."
--
Didn't you learn about double negatives in school, Roger? Oh wait, you're "too cool for school".

Isnt it obvious that was deleberate on their part?

And yes, the album is amazing, and the film is a pretty good watch.
Between my house and my dads house we have every Pink Floyd album (some doubled up obviously)

I'm starting to really get into David Gilmours era, that mans voice is amazing, and his un-questionable ability on the guitar astounds me.

- -Lauren- -
06-29-2006, 05:24 PM
There's a....a Pink Floyd movie? That's odd.

Thomas
06-29-2006, 08:56 PM

Is Lauren a little out of the loop here? Why yes. Yes she is.

mrconeman
06-30-2006, 09:33 AM
Its basically the accompaniying visuals, to the album "The Wall".
Its not exactly a movie in the common, one straight forward story, with a beginning middle and end.

Basically its one long acid trip.

no_way
06-30-2006, 09:37 AM
I liked the Pink Floyd movie a lot, its art and kamikaze message. Anything sad and depressive is for me actually, and I also like the topic of the war and opression. About the music, I think it's really good, not something I'd hear too often but I like it.