PDA

View Full Version : Google, the ISP?

Endymion
06-29-2006, 10:33 PM
so we've all heard about google buying up dark fiber (that is, fiberoptic cable that was laid in the ground during the dot-com bubble, but was never hooked up or used -- it's just there going between major networking centers and your home) and how they're going to blanket their home town of mountain view in free wireless. well, they've also got the rights to some 2**96 ipv6 addresses. just to get the picture, that's more than 100 billion address for every square inch on the earth. so google has an assload of ip addresses and an assload of dark fiber. they also hate the idea of a tiered internet (where telecoms can allot more bandwidth to sites that grease their palms, so sites that don't pay them are slower to load etc). now, a net neutrality law which would not allow telecoms to do that was just shot down in the capital.

i dunno, can you put two and two together?

i, for one, welcome our google overlords.

[edit] for the record, i didn't come up with this idea. i do, however, believe it. http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=254

arak0r
06-29-2006, 10:38 PM
that would make me moist.

DeAtHsTaR
06-29-2006, 10:48 PM
What will they think of next?

0r4ng3
06-29-2006, 10:50 PM
Damn, next they'll be a search engine!

Endymion
06-29-2006, 10:52 PM
so basically, people, google has an entire back-up internet incase the one we have now gets fucked up by the telecoms. google goes "fine, you guys keep your tiered system" and opens up the "google internet" which we can all use for 20 bucks a month or so, and everyone's connection is 100mbps. add in their supposed data centers* and we have the decline of the PC and the rise of 'dumb' terminals that just need a web browser.

*they hired a few smart guys to figure out how to pack the most cpus, hard drives, and ram into the space of a cargo container. they have a prototype. so they have these *huge* fucking servers that can be trucked around the nation and dropped off at particular locations. these servers run stuff like gmail, the google spreadsheet, calender, the word processor they're working on, etc etc. so you just log into google, do your work, you can save the file to either the google servers or your home computer. but if you save it to google's server, you can open it up again on any computer and it's right there. and if they can drop one of these off at any point, your home will be no more than a hop or two away from one. that means these servers are *fast* to connect to and very low ping times between you and it.

HornyPope
06-29-2006, 11:01 PM
Let's hope google stays legit4eva.

arak0r
06-30-2006, 12:12 AM
friend of mine works for google, not sure if he still does while he works with the nsa :| i should try to get some info on this shit

Nicole
06-30-2006, 03:52 AM
So long as google doesn't get a monopoly going on the internet I'll be happy.
That's probably inevitable.

notoriousdoc
06-30-2006, 01:09 PM
A google monopo1337 would be better than any other methinks.

By the way, is the dark fiber U.S. only?

Endymion
06-30-2006, 05:05 PM
By the way, is the dark fiber U.S. only?
pretty sure it is. likely ditto for the data servers... doubt they'll send them overseas. at least not at first.

remember, google is also interested in covering cities in wireless.... so there is hope yet.

sKratch
07-01-2006, 12:03 AM
It's unfortunate how inevitible it is that google will eventually become Satan, like any other company. I will be very happy if that never happens.