PDA

View Full Version : What's that?

coke_a_holic
06-30-2006, 11:48 PM
More music from Mike? Yes. Does it suck? Somewhat.

www.myspace.com/MikeIsACoolDude

The songs get worse as they progress, the first one is just a rip-off of pink floyd/hendrixy stuff, the second one is a cheap reuse of my Am Pentatonic entry for a lower thread, the 3rd is just an avoidance of a beat in a jazzy song I plan on redoing with a metronome (I have a bad tendency to speed up), and the last is either cool sounding noise with bits plagiarized from other songs (I go into Duke Ellington's Satin Doll and go over it with just noisy, distorted guitar) or the weirdest crap ever depending on your perspective.

So yeah, it basically sucks, but I plan on adding a lot more good stuff during my oh-so-busy summer. I'm getting some more instruments soon, so I'll be able to add even WEIRDER crap into it. W00T!

PS: Don't kill me for havin' dreams! =(((

H1T_That
07-01-2006, 06:44 AM
i like it.

lots.

coke_a_holic
07-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Thanks! I aim to please.

coke_a_holic
09-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Bump because no one loves me and I recently uploaded a new song!

For those too lazy to scroll:
http://www.myspace.com/MikeIsACoolDude

It's a cover of Tommy the Cat by Primus, it has awful quality, and I can't play the bass for shit... I double tracked the guitar into it! Listen anyway because you can't get enough of me.

PS: My 11 year old brother is the drummer kid, so don't be hard on him, he's but a young child and has only been drumming for like a year.

H1T_That
09-11-2006, 09:04 AM
Could be just my computer, but no songs are loading up.

coke_a_holic
09-11-2006, 10:07 PM
"Wow, Mike, your music sure does suck!"
Why thank you, arbitrary BBS member, might you have anything constructive to add?
"Yeah, stop fucking polluting general music with it!"
I will take it into consideration, thanks for the feedback, dude!

Jebus
09-12-2006, 08:15 PM
I think I had already commented on most your myspace stuff on other threads a while back. I looks like you removed half the songs it had before and replaced them with others.

Beheaded just seemed like an attempt to whore you uber hxc jazz skillz. I didn't hear anything similar to the original song. :( It was good and stuff but I kind of got bored of it after a while.

I must say Dyolf knip was really good. That intro, the soloing, and the rhythm were all great. I wish I could give you some constructive criticism but I'm not sure what I'm talking about half the time.

and seriously, you have to get into Al Di Meola dammit! *hijacks thread*
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=status&st=ok&ufid=B0966D5F148A4384

coke_a_holic
09-12-2006, 09:00 PM
I'll download it when I'm on the computer with more than 200 mb of space, I promise!

And I realized how boring Beheaded was getting (my mom started moving things around in my basement while I was recording the rythm so I was having trouble concentrating on when to get out of the bridge... the song lasted about 2 minutes longer than I wanted it to), soi the solo eventually just turned to noisy reverbed out wah-guitar. I just didn't start until way after people would lose interest. =( oh well. I also originally intended for a bassline, but I can't keep time for shit, so I kept speeding up and making the song even worse.
Oh, and at the beginning, there's a note that's really atonal, that's when I tuned my guitar in the recording and forgot to restart the whole recording thing.

Dyolf knip was my attempt at making the most pink floydy song possible, and a lot of people seem to like it, so I might try to do more stuff like that in the future.

Thanks!

Jebus
09-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Just so you know, I'm holding my thoughs on your Tommy the Cat cover hostage. You have 48 hours to listen to the mp3 or my comment gets it!

coke_a_holic
09-13-2006, 02:00 PM
Funny you bring that up, I'm swapping the Tommy the Cat that's up there with a seperate version that I had done beforehand. I had decided to put the 2nd one up, but this one has some better equalization and less parts with just the bass and the drums going where vocals would otherwise be.

I do like your style, though, and I'll go upstairs and download it as soon as I'm done loading this song up.

coke_a_holic
09-13-2006, 05:15 PM
It was cool! I liked the whole world style of it, it borrowed from different cultures and it made a cool little mosaic of sounds. It seems more like background music than something you'd devote attention to, though. I could leave it on repeat and just have it go on and not even notice that it's repeating.

no_way
09-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Mike music does NOT suck

Nah really, I liked it, the Beheaded version was a bit boring but I liked it lots.

Jebus
09-13-2006, 07:06 PM
background music? BACKGROUND MUSIC? I've never been so sad in my life. :(

That's it! I'm bringing out the big guns! 11 minutes of HXC jazz/flamenco nonstop improve pwnage! There's no escaping! (unless you don't download it or have a media player supporting m4a.)
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=8E029DC818EBF9C3

I guess have I have to keep my end up of the bargain now.
It's kind of funny how I've seen your playing improve more and more every since you started posting your stuff. You've gotten quite good. You started off with simple pentatonic stuff and now you're into difficult jazz.

I've never actually heard the original Tommy the Cat. As far as I can't tell, there weren't many mistakes and it sounded really good. TBH, it's not exactly my favorite song, but I really can't blame you since you didn't write it. And I actually liked your brother's drumming!

coke_a_holic
09-13-2006, 08:30 PM
I meant it as a good thing, I like it when music can be subtle. It just sort of created an atmosphere rather than trying to make something really in-your-face that distracts you from everything else. I was trying to do homework, and it was cool to have that in the background because when I got bored of writing, I could just listen more closely to the music.

Also, I have a nasty habit of making all of the music WAY too long. That's the reason jam bands suck, they're only fun while you're playing. I had so much fun playing the songs that I didn't even realize that it was way over the time it should've been and that I would barely be able to listen to it myself due to its length.

T-6005
09-23-2006, 12:06 PM
I didn't mind Dyolf Knip, although there were a few times where I wondered where the note you were playing came from, a strange scale or the deep depths of "Look at what I can do!"

You're a good guitar player, though, Mike. Perhaps you could do with slightly less improv, so that your songs hve 1 or 2 recognizable parts which kind of allow you to put stuff in perspective.

coke_a_holic
09-23-2006, 12:44 PM
Regarding the note: I have a habit of including the tritone when I play in minor pentatonic because it adds a really bluesy touch to it.

Regarding the improvisation: I know! I'm taking a theory class where we'll be learning how to write melodies... Mine almost always end up sucking, and the ones that don't are too repetitive to work how I want them to, so I usually just come up with a chord progression for improvisational soloing... it's the easy way out, and it's fun to do.

Thanks for the input, though, I'm gonna go looking through the sheets of music I have to fix up the riffs I've written to make them a little bit more accessable. Those songs always ended up sounding the most like songs, but I'd always overdo it a little bit.

Jebus
09-23-2006, 11:12 PM
Just gotta say I like the new version of beheaded tons more than your old one. You might not be the greatest singer, but I still thing you should turn up the vocals.

and umm....is your sister hot?

I didn't mind Dyolf Knip, although there were a few times where I wondered where the note you were playing came from, a strange scale or the deep depths of "Look at what I can do!"
I listened to the song again and I'm not hearing it what you're talking about. I don't hear any odd notes. =\

coke_a_holic
09-23-2006, 11:26 PM
I have a soothing baritone of a voice.

And no, she isn't.

T-6005
09-23-2006, 11:40 PM
I listened to the song again and I'm not hearing it what you're talking about. I don't hear any odd notes. =\
It's not just the blue note, I definitely hear something a little off at times.

Mike's a great guitarist, and strong at improvising, but I think he could definitely benefit from grounding songs in melody first.