PDA

View Full Version : Your biggest influences

Thomas
07-01-2006, 06:39 PM
Who are your biggest influences as a musician and as a band (if you have one).

My biggest influences are John Bonham and Ron Welty. Carmine Appice has some big effect on my playing, too.

My band, The Shaw (I'll post some demo songs later when I get the chance) is highly influenced my Blink-182 because 3 members of our band are VERY rabid Blink fans. The good side of being in a band that sounds EXACTLY like Blink-182 is you get a lot of freedom to just jam on your set and you get really cool beats for ballads (there is one in particular that I love).

That_Guy91
07-01-2006, 06:52 PM
I made this thread a while ago. But this one is better, so I won't link it.

Anyway, even though a lot of my influences are punk guitarists that aren't all that good (Fletcher from Pennywise, for example), one of my biggest influences would have to be Tony Iommi from Black Sabbath.

And, I have to say it before anyone else, Noodles. And Warren Fitzgerald. Basically the two best punk guitarists i've heard other than Greg Ginn.

Thomas
07-01-2006, 06:55 PM
Sorry for not being tru punx, but which bands do Warren Fitzgerald and Greg Ginn play for?

That_Guy91
07-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Warren Fitzgerald is in The Vandals and Greg Ginn was in Black Flag.

Thomas
07-01-2006, 06:59 PM
Ah, okay. Cool.

coke_a_holic
07-01-2006, 07:02 PM
I draw influences from instrumentalists who don't play my instrument along with ones who do which isn't as weird as it sounded when I first realized it.

The guitarists who've most influenced me would probably be Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, David Gilmour, and Eric Clapton. I recognize that BB King should be in there due to his influence on them, but I only have one song by him right now which I love quite a bit. My favorite guitarists are ones who have great phrasing technique, rather than the ability to play 200 bmp in 32nd notes.

For ones who don't play the same instrument as me: I love Skerik's saxophone phrasing and ability to change passing notes and make riffs sound extremely cool and jazzy compared to the guitar part playing the "same" part. I also really like Les Claypools approach to creating music and the general usage of strange scales that are, for the most part, absent from modern music.

mrconeman
07-01-2006, 07:03 PM
Good thread actually, should be interesting to see who the musicians on here are digging.
I'm a guitarist myself, and half countless minor influences, so I'll just narrow it down to three, named in order that I discovered them, no preferences intended.

Slash of Guns 'n' Roses:
One of my earliest memories as a child is watching the video for Sweet Child o' Mine (zomg cliche) and seeing Slash ripping into the solo in the video, I was like 7, maybe 8 years old, from then I knew I'd play guitar. Unfortunatly I didnt play 'till many years later, but oh well.
He still inspires me, his clever blend of blues and rock influences make for some very good songs, and extremely inspiring guitar solos.

David Gilmour of Pink Floyd:
I'm not quite sure if I heard him or Slash first actually, I've known both bands from a very early age. Anyway, in terms of musicality and taste, David Gilmour is the finest guitarist alive (imo) his chord choices on occasion are absolutely mind blowing, and on record the man never made a wrong note choice, his solos while not technically amazing (omg no shredzorz) never fail to give me chills and raise the hairs on my neck, an absolutely outstanding musician.

Randy Rhoads of Queit Riot (mid to late 70's) + Ozzy Osbourne (1981 - 1982)
I honestly dont even know where to begin with this musical genius. His blend of classical music, hard rock, and metal joins together in one sonic mix of "omg thats amazing". Everything from what he wrote, the way he recorded it and the way he played it absolutley astounds me. He was one of the 80's guitarists usually written off as "shreddors" and guys who just play fast to impress, and there was ALOT of that in the 80's, but Randy is above and beyond any of those guys who actually qualify for that write off.
The short time he spent writing and recording music with his first and second bands was just that, all too short, he died in 1982 (le sad) but the music he left behind is endlessly awe inspiring, and he is one of the very few people I would ever refer to as a musical genius.

Some noteable mentions:
Dave Murray
Adriann Smith
Janick Gerrs
Richie Sambora
Eddie Van Halen
Jimi Hendrix
Tony Iommi
Jimmy Page

That was fun to write.

opivy21
07-01-2006, 11:05 PM
I think the people that influence me really influence my songwriting as much as my technique, if that makes any sense. Anyway,

D. Boon from the Minutemen
D. Boon is probably my biggest influence right now on guitar. The Minutemen's music was so broad that it has really given me a lot of new techniques. He had a unique tone that I really like. I really like that most of his solos were improvised. It really makes the music feel more real to me (That's why I like jazz). There's just a lot of original things that he did that has exposed me to different things to experiment with.

Joe Baiza from Saccharine Trust
Joe Baiza seems like a really down to Earth, relaxed, open-minded guy. His parts aren't very difficult (at least his early stuff), but they're very interesting. I also like that he was into jazz and you can tell in his playing.

Chuck Berry
I really like Chuck Berry. He was a very original guitarist. I've learned quite a few techniques from listening to him and playing along. Plus, who else is cool enough to duck walk (besides the guy from AC/DC, who still isn't as cool as Chuck Berry)?

Tim Kerr from the Big Boys
Tim Kerr's parts seem pretty minimalist, but they sound good. His stuff is nothing mind-blowing, but I like his style and I've learned stuff from him. As cheesy as it sounds, listening to Tim Kerr and the Big Boys makes me want to play my guitar and write music. His lyrics aren't half bad, either.

Robert Quine from Richard Hell and the Voidoids
Robert Quine was one of the most creative players I've ever heard. Everything he played that I've heard was genious. His lead and his rythm - everything was unique.

That's all I can think of for now. This is a pretty cool thread.

edit: I just read over this post, and I can really suck at writing sometimes.

NDM1
07-02-2006, 10:22 AM
Cool thread idea. Most of mine have been said but ill name a few that havnt.

Kirk Hammet of Metallica
Yes this is a bit outdone but he really influenced me. The Master of Puppets album almost forced me to play guitar. After hearing master of puppets and seeing my brother stumble through the tabs for it i knew i was going to play guitar...eventually.

Dimebag Darrell of Pantera
He wasnt an early influence but still a big one. Cowboys from hell and Walk were the first songs i heard from them and i knew i had to start playing some of his stuff. He made some awesome riffs and has really shaped the way i've played harder stuff.

I would write about more but others have already covered them.
Just to mention them tho-
Slash
Eddie Van Halen
Randy Rhodes
Noodles
Joe Satriani
John Frusciante

noodlesfan
07-05-2006, 06:52 PM
Wolf Eyes
Hair Police
Melt Banana
Slint
Mogwai
Xiu Xiu
Boredoms

no_way
07-06-2006, 03:36 PM
My influences, believe it or not, are Avril Lavigne, Pink Floyd and Enya, it varies a lot, but that's how we made the pieces for my band's style.

Original prankstA
07-06-2006, 06:27 PM
roger and chris from less than jake, because:
1)LTJ is one of my favorite bands
2)I play both guitar and bass
3)and both of these guys are very good at what they do

flea of RHCP
1)just because he's amazing

and Noodles
1)he's the lead guitarist of my favorite band
2)he's also quite amazing

darthdudeguy4
07-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Roger, Chris, and Vinnie from LTJ
Ron Welty, and Dex
then Cone from Sum 41

Sinister
07-06-2006, 07:01 PM
I don't really have any "influence" since my playing style is still generic wannabe shit. I'd say Noodles and Dexter, because in the beginning I picked up a guitar to play Offspring stuff.

Original prankstA
07-07-2006, 09:28 PM
i forgot all three members of Blink 182
1)i understand tom and mark are not the best musicians but they just have fun and use there abilities to the fullest
2)travis barker is a pretty sweet-ass drummer

That_Guy91
07-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Travis Barker is nowhere near the best drummer alive today.

noodlesfan
07-07-2006, 09:32 PM
Travis Barker is nowhere near the best drummer alive today.
he had a show on MTV so he's automatically better than he really is. That's how it works

Thomas
07-07-2006, 10:24 PM
2)travis barker is probably the best drummer alive today
Please die now. Travis barker is, without a doubt, an incredible drummer, but he has NOTHINg on Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy, Carmine Appice, and even John Dolmoyan. Hell, even I can play a lot of his beats!

ignition991
07-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Lets see my biggest Influences as a drummer have to be...

Tim "Herb" Alexander from Primus

John Bonham From Led Zeppelin

Funny thing is, My dad is actually one of my biggest influences. He's the one who got me to take up drumming 6 years ago, plus he used to drum in a band.

ignition991
07-08-2006, 10:17 PM
2)travis barker is probably the best drummer alive today

I can play any of his Beats they're extremly simple. He doesn't suck,but he's nowhere near being the best drummer alive today.

ruroken
07-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Martin Gore
Jimmy Urine
Steve, Righ?
Roger Flores

0r4ng3
07-09-2006, 10:54 PM
Every time I make up something on my guitar, it ALWAYS ends up sounding like Pennywise. Even if I don't try to make it that way. So, yeah, I guess Fletcher Dragge is an influence.

Edit: If I ever try to think up a bass part, I know it'll end up sounding like Chris#2 of Anti-Flag.

Professor Chaos
07-09-2006, 10:59 PM
Roger Flores
HAWHAW, Fag.

But to answer the thread:
As a bassist.... Mark Hoppus, and Les Claypool. I know, they basically have the exact same style!
And as a beat/synth programmer... Pretty much everything... all at once.

ruroken
07-10-2006, 11:22 AM
Why else do you think my shit sucks so hard?

Professor Chaos
07-10-2006, 11:25 AM
I thought it was from...

Jimmy Urine
Steve, Righ?

ruroken
07-10-2006, 11:39 AM
Oh yeah ...

rocketman
07-10-2006, 12:27 PM
As a bassist...my biggest influences are probably Les Claypool (Primus) and Matt Freeman (Rancid/Operation Ivy). Matt Freeman is probably the reason why I actually started playing bass. As for guitar, my biggest influences are probably East Bay Ray (Dead Kennedys) and Brian Baker (Minor Threat/Dag Nasty/Bad Religion).

JoY
07-10-2006, 01:07 PM
I bet I'm not supposed to reply, seeing the genre of my band & the instrument I play, but I would like to participate anyway. :) after all, I find what I do pretty unique & interesting.

my biggest influences, well, let's see. my band plays gypsy music, which is traditional music you don't completely come up with yourself. the basis was formed by traditional gypsy musicians ages ago. the interpretation of the basis, well, that's where your personal character, style & also direct & indirect influences come in. indirect influences probably go too far back to even begin with. in gypsy music, everyone inspires everyone. it's too emotion-based, too unstructured & free of rules to bring it back to one person.

our teacher is Nello Mirando. he was also the teacher of "my band" before it produced music with its current members (so before I was in it). no, we didn't start this band ourselves, we were asked to play in this band after former members decided they were too old for a students gypsy band.

we play songs from the cd's Nello Mirando played on, from the bands he plays in & whatever he selects to teach us. I know this must sound lame, mentioning my teacher. but he's famous across Europe, so it's not as insignificant as it seems. he influenced my playing from when I was four; at home my father constantly played his cd's. it's only a coincedence he later on appeared to be the teacher of the band I was asked to play in.

then there's always the first violininste who's place I was honoured to take in the band Romanez. she taught me a lot.

I'd like to mention people I've never met before, people that are so awesome, you can just dream you were only 1/8th as awesome as them. people you look up to & who have inspired you. but I'm not like that. I'm not like that at all. I can't be fanatic over someone who isn't entirely, completely human to me. over some idol I've only seen on posters & tv. that's probably why I'm a total sucker for no one else, but a Dutch band I've met in person.

one thing I can say; if it wasn't for Krezip, I probably never would've taken up the courage to play the piano. most bandmembers studied at the Rock Academy in the Netherlands & at some point I was so into them, I wanted to study at that same academy too. vocals & piano. those would've been my subjects. unfortunately/fortunately my dream to study medicine was stronger.

& it's songs by Nirvana that made me ask for a guitar. I decided Come As You Are indeed doesn't sound good on violin at some point & asked a guitar for my 18th birthday. I got the guitar & I can play one or two things, but I never actually did an attempt to play a single song by Nirvana.

offspringer24
07-10-2006, 01:18 PM
wasnt that dude from vandals that did splinter voted worlds best drummer last yr? josh freese!

Wolfmother
07-20-2006, 05:41 AM
my influences where of course the offspring, jimmy page(one of the worlds best guitarists) and the drummer from def leppard (he only has one arm :eek: )

I Make SweetLove 2Nirvana
07-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Kurt Cobain, Nirvana, N The Offspring!!

Nina
07-20-2006, 10:57 AM
My boyfriend has/maybe "had" a band and they are strongly influenced by shitty German "true punx" bands that are more like Blink182, just in German, and worse.
Have I already mentioned that German punk bands suck?

thewalrus
07-20-2006, 12:00 PM
My boyfriend has/maybe "had" a band and they are strongly influenced by shitty German "true punx" bands that are more like Blink182, just in German, and worse.

Most do, yes. Except for a few bands like Dritte Wahl or Slime... and latter don't exist anymore, sadly.

Nina
07-20-2006, 12:55 PM
I dont know Dritte Wahl, but I am not too fond of Slime. So boring.

thewalrus
07-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Well I think the last two albums they'd recorded during the early nineties were pretty good, i.e. "Viva la muerte" and "Schweineherbst". And I don't consider them boring... quite the opposite, I think these are THE masterpieces of German punk rock history. But of course it's all a question of taste and my personal opinion about them...

RickyCrack
07-22-2006, 04:53 PM

I used to listen to Die Toten Hosen in middle school. Otherwise, the only good thing to come out of Germany has been 99 luft ballons.

Sheena-brfan
08-06-2006, 09:36 AM
Our band has a bunch of different influences because I'm a huge Bad Religion/Distillers/Sex Pistols fan, but Taylor (guitarist) is sort of more Blink 182/ Sum 41 fan, and Paul (drummer) is a Kanye West/ The Killers fan.
The only thing we have in common is Green Day, but we're still in different eras. Me- Insomniac and Dookie, Taylor-Warning, Nimrod and Paul-American Idiot. Strange...

Thomas
08-06-2006, 02:51 PM
I bet I'm not supposed to reply, seeing the genre of my band & the instrument I play, but I would like to participate anyway. :) after all, I find what I do pretty unique & interesting.

my biggest influences, well, let's see. my band plays gypsy music, which is traditional music you don't completely come up with yourself. the basis was formed by traditional gypsy musicians ages ago. the interpretation of the basis, well, that's where your personal character, style & also direct & indirect influences come in. indirect influences probably go too far back to even begin with. in gypsy music, everyone inspires everyone. it's too emotion-based, too unstructured & free of rules to bring it back to one person.

our teacher is Nello Mirando. he was also the teacher of "my band" before it produced music with its current members (so before I was in it). no, we didn't start this band ourselves, we were asked to play in this band after former members decided they were too old for a students gypsy band.

we play songs from the cd's Nello Mirando played on, from the bands he plays in & whatever he selects to teach us. I know this must sound lame, mentioning my teacher. but he's famous across Europe, so it's not as insignificant as it seems. he influenced my playing from when I was four; at home my father constantly played his cd's. it's only a coincedence he later on appeared to be the teacher of the band I was asked to play in.

then there's always the first violininste who's place I was honoured to take in the band Romanez. she taught me a lot.

I'd like to mention people I've never met before, people that are so awesome, you can just dream you were only 1/8th as awesome as them. people you look up to & who have inspired you. but I'm not like that. I'm not like that at all. I can't be fanatic over someone who isn't entirely, completely human to me. over some idol I've only seen on posters & tv. that's probably why I'm a total sucker for no one else, but a Dutch band I've met in person.

one thing I can say; if it wasn't for Krezip, I probably never would've taken up the courage to play the piano. most bandmembers studied at the Rock Academy in the Netherlands & at some point I was so into them, I wanted to study at that same academy too. vocals & piano. those would've been my subjects. unfortunately/fortunately my dream to study medicine was stronger.

& it's songs by Nirvana that made me ask for a guitar. I decided Come As You Are indeed doesn't sound good on violin at some point & asked a guitar for my 18th birthday. I got the guitar & I can play one or two things, but I never actually did an attempt to play a single song by Nirvana.

I'm intrigued. Could you post recordings of your group please?

JoY
08-07-2006, 06:48 PM
it's nice of you to be interested, I'll see if I can find one.=)

MaF
08-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Wanna post! Wanna post!
My biggest "influencers" are Bad religion, NOFX, The Offspring...
(for my shame i heared some of Pennywise few days ago, i read their bios and liked it...)

goneawaytotheoffspring
08-13-2006, 03:07 PM
how i dress

syd vicious
kurt cobain

Guitarist

eric clapton(only slightly)
kurt cobain
jerry cantrell
dexter holland
noodles
joe strummer

singer/lyricist

Dexter holland
kurt cobain
joe strummer
john lyndon

oh yeah ime british and ime a punk(feels anarchistic)

H1T_That
08-16-2006, 03:37 PM

No-one else get the lols at this?

FrancoDaHui
08-16-2006, 06:13 PM
this one looks pretty good

how i dress

greg k/joe principe

Guitarist

brian baker
noodles
steve vai
jade puget
josh homme
bj armstrong (yes, i like green day, morons)

singer/lyricist

greg graffin
dexter holland
chris cheney
julian casablancas
tim armstrong
Tim McIlrath

That_Guy91
08-16-2006, 06:19 PM
bj armstrong (yes, i like green day, morons)
I don't care weather or not you like Green Day (I like them too), but why would you look up to him as a guitarist? He's pretty much the absolute worst guitarist I can think of.

FrancoDaHui
08-16-2006, 07:05 PM
I don't care weather or not you like Green Day (I like them too), but why would you look up to him as a guitarist? He's pretty much the absolute worst guitarist I can think of.

yeah but i like their style and i think he has written some interesting riffs, thats why i like his playing

Arran
09-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Dead Kennedys, The Offspring.

JoY
09-02-2006, 10:49 AM
how i dress

Guitarist

singer/lyricist

do you even still have your own identity?

DeAtHsTaR
09-02-2006, 10:54 AM
My band, The Shaw (I'll post some demo songs later when I get the chance) is highly influenced my Blink-182 because 3 members of our band are VERY rabid Blink fans. The good side of being in a band that sounds EXACTLY like Blink-182 is you get a lot of freedom to just jam on your set and you get really cool beats for ballads (there is one in particular that I love).
I'm not a drummer, but I know what you're talking about. My band sounds like Blink and our drummer does such crazy stuff.

To answer the thread, Mike Dirnt, Krist Novoselic, and Greg K. are my biggest influences.

DeAtHsTaR
09-02-2006, 11:00 AM
I never saw Barker as an incredible drummer from the songs I've heard. However, the only Blink album I own is Dude Ranch, and Scott Raynor drummed back then. I think he's actually decent.

Tom Delonge much?