PDA

View Full Version : Going to England...

Rag Doll
07-03-2006, 03:30 PM
So, on Thursday night I'm going to England for a month. I'm staying in Cambridge. Anyone know of anything interesting but inexpensive to do in the area? Especially during the week, as most weekends I'm planning to not be around. Also, what's the weather usually like? Would a bar accept a NJ Driver's License as ID or do I need to carry a copy of my passport? Anything I should know/be aware of/etc? And not stuff like "lolz the British cant spell and have bad teeth lolz i'm so funniez".

so, yup, thanks in advance.

T-6005
07-03-2006, 03:35 PM
I need to carry a copy of my passport?
As a slightly experienced world traveler, always carry your passport. Always.

H1T_That
07-03-2006, 03:37 PM
So, on Thursday night I'm going to England for a month. I'm staying in Cambridge. Anyone know of anything interesting but inexpensive to do in the area? Especially during the week, as most weekends I'm planning to not be around. Also, what's the weather usually like? Would a bar except a NJ Driver's License as ID or do I need to carry a copy of my passport? Anything I should know/be aware of/etc? And not stuff like "lolz the British cant spell and have bad teeth lolz i'm so funniez".

to be safe, i'd say use your passport.

and if you're staying at the actual university campus, you'll ifnd plenty of bars and pubs around on the night times. They are usually cheap too, for the students.

Also, if you're into that sort of stuff, there is quite a lot of nice scenery and cool buildings etc.

one last thing, most of the people there who are english will be toffs and assholes. The whole 'daddy has a yacht and a villa in spain' scenario fits.

i'm just basing this mostly from when i did a residential there 2 years ago, a lot may have changed, and i probably got the bad impression from the residents as i come from a more middle class part of the UK.

enjoy your stay, and i hope that helped.

Lars
07-03-2006, 03:42 PM
No suggestions on the Cambridge front, I was only there once, and that was to meet someone.

A bar should accept it, depends on if they want to be assholes or not, likelyhood is probably yes, if not the passport should suffice, unless they're assholes again (as one place was, either the guy didn't like the fact he was wrong or just didn't like my German passport, I'm going for the German part,) though with students from all around the world I think they'd be used to ID from different places.

At the moment the weather is actually good somewhere around 25-30c. There's supposedly a bit of rain coming later in the week, but I never trust the weather forecasts, they're so bad. One day they'll say its rain on Friday, the very next day they'll say it's sunshine on that same Friday.

Nina
You shouldnt forget clothes for rainy weather. It is getting rainy again in Europe after some hot summer lovin' time (next weekend, actually?)

Rag Doll
Okie, so always carry the passport then? eep. I just worry about losing it.

H1t That: yeah, i'm dorming at the university itself. i am into all the cool scenery stuff and i bought a new digicam specifically for the trip ;p. i'm kind of used to the "daddy has this and that" attitude, so hopefully i'll be used to it there as well.

thanks, Lars & Nina. I can start packing now...I hope. ;p

Nina
07-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Bunny, you should bring stuff for all types of weather, except extremly thick pullovers (because it's not gonna be THAT cold). The weather there is pretty fucking crazy from what I have experienced.

Rag Doll
07-03-2006, 03:44 PM
buh. that sucks. i cant bring too much but i need to bring a lot =(. i suck at packing.

Lars
07-03-2006, 03:46 PM
It shouldn't get too cold, I don't imagine anything under 10c really.

Oh, go punting, make some person sweat for their money as they push you along the river.

H1T_That
07-03-2006, 03:46 PM
Okie, so always carry the passport then? eep. I just worry about losing it.

H1t That: yeah, i'm dorming at the university itself. i am into all the cool scenery stuff and i bought a new digicam specifically for the trip ;p. i'm kind of used to the "daddy has this and that" attitude, so hopefully i'll be used to it there as well.

thanks, Lars & Nina. I can start packing now...I hope. ;p

well you should really enjoy yourself then.

If i remember correctly, there is a river or a lake which is overlooked by a medieval castle of some sort, which is all lit up at night. It looks spectacular.

Mota Boy
07-03-2006, 11:23 PM
Hmmm, some friends of mine were in Caimbridge last summer, and I had a good time visiting them. The night I came to visit was some sort of city-wide drag night, which made barhopping very interesting.

Whenever I get to a new city, I like to spend a lot of time just walking the streets. Spend the first week walking around your neighborhood, poking your head into any place that looks interesting and asking for a menu/drink specials. Get to know a few places you can go to hang out and read (some bars, coffeehouses, parks), or head to with friends. Pick up a local magazine and find out about more of the city - the good districts, the touristy bars, the places you really should see before you leave, because you're going to want to have done them. I wasn't really a fan of the street food there, so, were I you, I'd look up some good ethnic food places.

Basically, if you have free time, get the hell out of your room and get to know the city better, then start to bring friends along after you feel you've got it figured out. And try to do your homework in the city rather than in your dorm. If there's a good bus system, it can cost just a few bucks to go there, get coffee and study for a few hours and ride back, and much more rewarding than being holed up. Soon, they'll be going to you when they want to see something new. Find some local music too - that's always fun.

Mentally_Challenged
07-04-2006, 12:05 AM
Weather-wise, I live about an hour and a half away from Cambridge, and my god has it been hot lately.. and they don't get the sea breeze that we do here. O.o That's not to say it won't change, but recently it's been very hot. I haven't been to Cambridge city center for a while, but it's a very nice place. Hopefully you'll have a great time ^__^

Betty
07-04-2006, 12:19 AM
I'll ask my roommate as she did her undergrad there before coming out to Canada and she generally likes to do interesting things.

Idiot
07-04-2006, 02:25 AM
So, on Thursday night I'm going to England for a month. I'm staying in Cambridge. Anyone know of anything interesting but inexpensive to do in the area? Especially during the week, as most weekends I'm planning to not be around. Also, what's the weather usually like? Would a bar accept a NJ Driver's License as ID or do I need to carry a copy of my passport? Anything I should know/be aware of/etc? And not stuff like "lolz the British cant spell and have bad teeth lolz i'm so funniez".

Haha, I'm like 30mins drive away from Cambridge.

Endymion
07-04-2006, 02:34 AM
visit dush

Rag Doll
07-04-2006, 10:22 AM
Mota Boy - thanks, all very good advice =). I figured you'd have some since you always seem to be going somewhere.

Michelle - thanks, that'd be awesome.

Mentally Challenged - how hot is hot? =\

and Ryan...just....no. ;p

HornyPope
07-04-2006, 10:54 AM
Don't carry your passport with you. If you lose it, it's going to be a bitch to get it back (not to mention cost you 150$). But if you absolutly must, in the least make photocopies of the passport. Then file them wherever you don't have to worry about unless it's absolutly an emergency.

And Mota Boy has it good on how to learn about new cities.

JohnnyNemesis
07-04-2006, 11:00 AM
Damn, I'm jealous. I too hate packing. I'm happy for you and hope you have a wonderful time; unfortunately, I don't have any advice or anything and just wanted to wish you well.

notoriousdoc
07-04-2006, 11:18 AM
25-30 degrees Centigrade hot.

Paint_It_Black
07-04-2006, 03:01 PM
I wouldn't suggest carrying your passport around unless you find you absolutely have to. I would think your drivers license should be fine, and I would be surprised if you even end up needing that.

Idiot
07-04-2006, 03:20 PM
I doubt you'll have any problems over here to be honest.
You'll get to see some 'proper' chavs ! OMFG

Yatesy
07-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Can't help you with Cambridge. As for the weather it's a heat wave apparently, too hot for my liking but thats just me I guess. For ID I'd use your passport.

TheUnholyNightbringer
07-05-2006, 01:46 AM
Have hot secks with me, hihi. I live just a few short hours away!

The Talking Pie
07-05-2006, 11:37 AM
Come see me. That's about all you need to do in England. Oh, and stay clear of anyone who identifies with a subculture... you'll want to either kill them or yourself after a few short minutes.

Tizzalicious
07-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Have hot secks with me, hihi. I live just a few short hours away!

She's gonna have a hot sex date with me! Woooo!

calichix
07-05-2006, 09:43 PM
I'm going to england on monday. :D

Rag Doll
07-05-2006, 09:45 PM
thanks for all the info, everyone =)

and awesome, Laura. where?

calichix
07-05-2006, 10:00 PM
brighton. :D are you totally amped about the pajillion hour flight or what? which airline are you taking?

Rag Doll
07-05-2006, 10:50 PM
i think its only 7 hours for me...so hopefully i can just sleep. i've actually never flown before ever so i'm a bit nervous. and i'm taking british airways.

Not Ozymandias
07-05-2006, 11:38 PM
Bring gallons of extra toothpaste in case their teeth are contagious.

Endymion
07-06-2006, 12:14 AM
visit dush

The Talking Pie
07-06-2006, 12:59 AM
Bring gallons of extra toothpaste in case their teeth are contagious.
Yeah, you can't buy that shit over here. Oh, and don't drink the water. They put sugar in it.

Seriously though, buy bottled water; region-to-region around here is so different/horrible that drinking tapwater from another city can make you gag - I'd hate to think what it'd be like coming from another country.

Oh, and enjoy the awesome stormage we have going on at the moment.

And visit Cadbury's World!

Damn, this country is pretty awesome when you forget about all the people...

Paint_It_Black
07-06-2006, 02:24 AM
Don't be nervous about the flight, it'll probably be interesting and even fun, since it is a new experience. The only thing I hate about flying is catching connecting flights, and you won't have to worry about that.

Andy
07-11-2006, 01:24 PM
visit Cadbury's World!
Which = Birmingham. Which then = some Andy love.

I think that would be a good idea.