PDA

View Full Version : KISS vs. Aerosmith

pretty fly 88
07-04-2006, 09:17 AM
This may be the most interesting debate you can come up with when it comes to 2 American rock bands. 2 interesting facts about these bands:

1. These are 2 of the most, if not the 2 most, influential American rock bands of all time.
2. These bands toured together 2 years ago.

I didn't catch them on that tour, but from what I heard, at least at the D.C. show, KISS was the opening act, and they rocked the house like they usually, do. They got the crowd into it, and they wore them down. Apparently, lots of people went home early, and Aerosmith ended up playing at a half-empty stadium, because they couldn't deliver the goods the way KISS did. At least that's what I've been hearing about the D.C. show.

Anyway, I've always liked KISS better, and they're obviously better live.

Rag Doll
07-04-2006, 09:24 AM
Funny, that's not what happened at the NY show.

Anyway. I prefer Aerosmith. I think if Kiss didn't have the whole costume and make-up thing they had, they never would have gotten nearly as big as they did. Maybe that's just me though.

dalaksta
07-04-2006, 09:46 AM
I don't like either of them.

Thomas
07-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Aerosmith easily.

BUt they were far from the most influential American rock bands of all time.

Jakebert
07-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Both are very overrated. 2 of the most overrated bands ever.

That_Guy91
07-04-2006, 12:12 PM
My poll was better.

Thomas
07-04-2006, 12:36 PM
Both are very overrated. 2 of the most overrated bands ever.
I agree. I really really like Aerosmith, but they werne't that great. My dad actually saw them live a while ago and he said they were terrible.

Rag Doll
07-04-2006, 12:50 PM
I dunno. My parents see Aerosmith during pretty much every tour and they've never had any complaints. They're definitely not one of the most influential bands or anything...but I think they're still pretty good. The new music isn't as good as the old stuff from the 70's and 80's...but eh.

offspring fan
07-04-2006, 02:43 PM
i like Kiss best...

Thomas
07-04-2006, 02:45 PM
I dunno. My parents see Aerosmith during pretty much every tour and they've never had any complaints. They're definitely not one of the most influential bands or anything...but I think they're still pretty good. The new music isn't as good as the old stuff from the 70's and 80's...but eh.
Well, I think the reason my dad said they sucked is because they (Aerosmith, not my dad) got high before the show, so they weren't performing at their best.

Marco
07-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Aerosmith
oh fucking 10 characters

opivy21
07-06-2006, 11:06 AM
They're both bad, in my opinion.

That_Guy91
07-06-2006, 11:07 AM
I don't consider KISS a band. They were more of a show with music.

Retard
07-06-2006, 11:12 AM
i extremly hate both.

I JUST SHOT SMACK INTO MY EYEBALLS!!!!! hahaha i love RObot Chicken.

mrconeman
07-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Aerosmith are easily the better band. Kiss are alright, but Ragdoll hit the nail on the head, if it wasnt for their masks and costumes they wouldnt have gotten half the fame they have now.

no_way
07-06-2006, 12:26 PM
I don't like Kiss very much, but I definetely HATE Aerosmith, so I'll vote for Kiss. Aerosmith= Too poppy for me, and the lyrics are too weak.

mrconeman
07-06-2006, 12:31 PM
Agreed actually if you're talking about their more recent stuff like that song "Pink". But have you heard their 70's and 80's stuff?

no_way
07-06-2006, 12:36 PM
I listened to their album "greatest hits" that they recorded on the 90's, all the songs were the same, specially the "Crazy" or "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" kind of songs, I can't stand those, but I'll listen to some others if you recomend me :)

mrconeman
07-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Hmm. I guess its just a question of taste, Songs like "Cryin'", "Crazy" , "Dont Wanna Miss a Thing", their more ballady numbers, those are some of my favourite songs, they do all sound very similar I see where you're coming from, but I like them.

no_way
07-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Hmm. I guess its just a question of taste, Songs like "Cryin'", "Crazy" , "Dont Wanna Miss a Thing", their more ballady numbers, those are some of my favourite songs, they do all sound very similar I see where you're coming from, but I like them.

Exactly, just a matter of taste. Don't get me wrong, I do like ballad songs, even Bossanova, I just don't like their sound, specially in "Crazy", taking out the fact that it's a hit single.

Jakebert
07-06-2006, 12:56 PM
The only thing I want to point out is that I don't see Aerosmith or Kiss as being overly influential in rock music. I mean, yeah they were popular, but were they really all that influential? I've always felt that bands like R.E.M., Sonic Youth, Velvet Underground, MC5, ect. were more influential because of the boundries they broke by trying different things rather than Aerosmith and Kiss playing by-the-numbers cock-rock.

no_way
07-06-2006, 12:59 PM
The only thing I want to point out is that I don't see Aerosmith or Kiss as being overly influential in rock music. I mean, yeah they were popular, but were they really all that influential? I've always felt that bands like R.E.M., Sonic Youth, Velvet Underground, MC5, ect. were more influential because of the boundries they broke by trying different things rather than Aerosmith and Kiss playing by-the-numbers cock-rock.

Aerosmith gave pop music a new face, from what I can see, and Kiss did a similar thing with rock music

That_Guy91
07-06-2006, 01:00 PM
Kiss put on a show. that's about it. Nobody was really influenced all to much by their playing, except maybe some guitarists.

Rag Doll
07-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Aerosmith= Too poppy for me, and the lyrics are too weak.

dude, wtf? yeah, you need to listen to older stuff. the more recent stuff is "poppy" sounding, i guess. not your typical pop music though.

and i guess the lyrics aren't for everyone. i think stuff like *dream on* and *kiss your past goodbye* are pretty good lyrically (sorry, just woke up from a nap and am blanking on a lot of song titles). however, i wouldn't say a lot of the songs are weak. sometimes they're pretty much just innuendo after innuendo....but they really were one of the bands that epitomized sex, drugs, and rock&roll and they definitely showed that back in the day. they do now too...just...less drugs.

no_way
07-06-2006, 01:15 PM
I've heard things like "Crazy", "I don't wanna miss a thing", "Crying", as I sadi before. I don't know if that's the old sound everyone talks about, but I don't like it. And I'm sorry Rag_Doll, but knowing your musical taste I can't give you much of a reason. No offenses ;)

EDIT: And I'm a girl

Rag Doll
07-06-2006, 01:22 PM
It's not the old sound at all. That's the stuff that came out in the 1990's which is quite a bit different than their earlier music, at least, in my opinion. And knock my musical tastes all you want, but I actually have an extremely eclectic musical taste. Even my ex-boyfriend took back everything he said about my musical tastes...which, well, is shocking to say the very least. ;p

For some older songs you might enjoy, you can check out...

(1970s)
Dream On
Mama Kin
Lord of the Thighs
Train Kept A Rollin
Pandora's Box
Big Ten Inch Record
Sweet Emotion
You See Me Crying
Back in the Saddle
Last Child
Home Tonight (one of my favorites, so maybe you shouldn't check it out)
Kings and Queens
Toys in the Attic
Come Together (cover)

(1980s)
Jailbait
Rock in a Hard Place
Rag Doll
Permanent Vacation
Young Lust
F.I.N.E.
Love In An Elevator
What it Takes
Janie's Got a Gun (lyrically *wow*, in my opinion)

anyone else feel free to add on...prolly missed some stuff.

mrconeman
07-06-2006, 01:24 PM
That just about covers their *real* greatest songs.

Marco
07-07-2006, 05:22 AM
I love "Let the music do the talking"!!!

Thomas
07-07-2006, 11:19 AM
The thing Werosmith had going for them the most was the fact that they some some of the most fucking catchy songs ever. I mean, look at Walk This Way. You can't forget that rhythm.

I also just wanted to add that their cover of Come Together is the biggest piece of crap I have ever heard from them. They should have left that song alone.

pretty fly 88
07-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Kiss put on a show. that's about it. Nobody was really influenced all to much by their playing, except maybe some guitarists.
Actually, just about every band that was popular in the 1980's was influenced by KISS. They practically invented Hair Metal.

Jakebert
07-14-2006, 10:36 AM
Actually, just about every band that was popular in the 1980's was influenced by KISS. They practically invented Hair Metal.

That makes me respect them even less.

bd007h
07-14-2006, 01:56 PM
Bon Jovi is better than both of them.

Rag Doll
07-14-2006, 03:34 PM
I totally disagree with that. Bon Jovi aren't that great and most of their stuff sounds the same. I'm from Jersey and I still don't like them... =\

bd007h
07-14-2006, 03:45 PM
Oh well, Each to their own.

Yatesy
07-14-2006, 03:54 PM
I really can't stand KISS at all, I don't know why but their music is awful. I like Aerosmith but not that much tbh but I voted Aerosmith as I don't like KISS.

Wolfmother
07-15-2006, 03:21 PM
Aerosmith pwns Kiss

Athom
07-16-2006, 12:49 PM
I'm voting Aerosmith, I mean they've got Joe Perry, people.

mrconeman
07-16-2006, 12:54 PM
I can name one Bon Jovi song that pwns the entire discography of either band, so I will.
Dry County.