PDA

View Full Version : Whoever said that working out makes you feel great...

Nina
07-05-2006, 10:17 AM
...is insane.

I just went running and feel blegh.
It's not the heat, it's not my feet or legs that hurt, it's, in fact, nothing physical at all. I just feel shitty and HATE SPORTS.

Okay, not really.

I guess my body wont produce happy-making hormones after sport :(

wheelchairman
07-05-2006, 10:18 AM
You need the right music! And I generally do it with a friend. Jogging is particularly tough! (I recommend Tatu.)

the_GoDdEsS
07-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Don't think it would if you're not used to doing it regularly. I hate sports too. I dance sometimes or lift weights if I am in an I'm-gonna-overpower-the-world mood.

the_GoDdEsS
07-05-2006, 10:21 AM
You need the right music! And I generally do it with a friend. Jogging is particularly tough! (I recommend Tatu.)

Per soshol z uma.

Nina
07-05-2006, 10:22 AM
[Per] Oh god, dont get me started.
I have a discman that has an integrated mp3-player, alright. It always, always, always stopps the music, no matter what I do. I could be sitting on the bus and stop breathing, OR run for life with my discman, it would still be the fucking same. At one point I wanted to smash that thing >:E
I need a NORMAL mp3-player. grr.
</endrant>

Tizzalicious
07-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Running is le suck, just stick to Pilates!

wheelchairman
07-05-2006, 10:24 AM
[Per] Oh god, dont get me started.
I have a discman that has an integrated mp3-player, alright. It always, always, always stopps the music, no matter what I do. I could be sitting on the bus and stop breathing, OR run for life with my discman, it would still be the fucking same. At one point I wanted to smash that thing >:E
I need a NORMAL mp3-player. grr.
</endrant>
Yeah you do need a normal mp3 player. OR a walkman. Now that'd be retro.

Nina
07-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Don't think it would if you're not used to doing it regularly. I hate sports too. I dance sometimes or lift weights if I am in an I'm-gonna-overpower-the-world mood.

Dancing is really good.
I used to be in a dance course but they stopped and my trainer still owes me 25. That was three years ago.
I really need to start again.

I tell too many stories today.

Edit: But Tizz, pilates doesnt work for me AT ALL!

Tizzalicious
07-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Edit: But Tizz, pilates doesnt work for me AT ALL!

That's because you haven't done it enough!

Nina
07-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Two months, every day, is not enough? :[

wheelchairman
07-05-2006, 10:30 AM
Aren't you supposed to do it every other day?

Any kind of hard excercise, every day for two months is dangerous. At least as far as I understand it.

Nina
07-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Any kind of hard excercise, every day for two months is dangerous. At least as far as I understand it.

I dont think it's the case with pilates. I only did it twenty minutes, which is how you are supposed to do it (well of course you can always do more). And it doesnt really make you tired...it's not like running. I wouldnt say it's dangerous.
And the question remains...why hasnt anything changed, even if I've done it "too much"? booh.

Sunny
07-05-2006, 10:32 AM
did you have water with you and drink lots of it?

when i'm home, i go running every morning.. but i have to have ice water with me or else i feel like butt. :/

Tizzalicious
07-05-2006, 10:33 AM
I think you need to rest your muscles every other day, so you should do a different kind if you wanna do it every day. (I used to do the tummy ones one day, and then the ass//thighs one the other day).

Nina
07-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Well I just started today, it was only 20min, a combination of running and jogging..and I drank water before and afterwards. as soon as I have a proper mp3 player and have a hand free, I'll bring water with me :)

Nina
07-05-2006, 10:36 AM
I think you need to rest your muscles every other day, so you should do a different kind if you wanna do it every day. (I used to do the tummy ones one day, and then the ass//thighs one the other day).

Well I did the starter-thing, ya know? the 20min thing that does everything, but also a lot for your tummy. It never really hurt me...I really have no problem with pilates. I think my muscles would have told me if they needed rest :P (like my legs complain now)

Tizzalicious
07-05-2006, 10:37 AM
Well I did the starter-thing, ya know? the 20min thing that does everything, but also a lot for your tummy. It never really hurt me...I really have no problem with pilates. I think my muscles would have told me if they needed rest :P (like my legs complain now)

Nah, it's also when they don't hurt I think, they just need to relax so the muscles can actually come up or something. Wah, I don't know how to explain :P

Nina
07-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Well..I will do pilates again anyway. I just dont want to only do pilates, as I just dont see any effect. I will try to run three times a week, if the weather allows it (which I expect). Then another two days pilates. And two days rest. And crunches everyday. I'm trying to do the crazy amount of 1000 crunches a day. Wish me luck.

So....anybody who is working out...what do you do to stay fit?

Sunny
07-05-2006, 10:47 AM
i try to work out every day.. as i said, in new york, i run with my dog. other than that... i'm mostly trying to tone my legs and tummy. i do crunches, squats (ow), lunges, tummy vacuums (yes), some girl pushups... but mostly i work out with resistance bands (3 different bands with different resistance). they're <3. and if my muscles are sore from the other day's workout, i just stretch.

i do some yoga too. sometimes. ;z

Nina
07-05-2006, 10:50 AM
Sunny - from where do you have your joga-information (as in, what to do, for how long, etc). I'd be very interested in that.
I havent heard from a lot of things you've mentioned, I have to look them up. One thing I probably wont find on the netz: What's girl push-ups? I definitely cant do regular push-ups, hence the crunches I do, haha.
Is everything you do effective?

Izie
07-05-2006, 10:56 AM
I am lazy as fuck and I don't exercise at all!

Honestly, any form of "class" has pissed me off, so I just gathered a bunch of exercised I do daily... Or shall I say, I USED to do daily.

Stretch, do arms, do waist, to stomach, do legs, do ass. Next day just stretch. Next day same as first. And so on.

Too many repetitions without a break are basically just torturing the muscle, or so I've been told. Better to do it in series.

Sunny
07-05-2006, 11:02 AM
girl push ups are done on the knees :D

i took a yoga workshop at my school (freel, yey!). but you can find some poses here:

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/index.cfm?ctsrc=tnav

as for how effective things are.. hrm. the tummy vacuum works awesomely. i like it better than crunches. i like stretching because it keeps me creepily flexible. ;p for my legs, i am completely in love with my hardest resistance band. it really makes a difference, although i STILL don't have defined thigh muscles. nothing works as well as i'd like it to :(

tummy vac info:
http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/articles-submit/karen-sessions/stomach-vacuum.html

Nina
07-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Prefect, thanks so much for the info!!! I will try it all out.

btw, here are stretches...I really liked the pictures so I thought I'd share, haha.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

Tizzalicious
07-05-2006, 11:08 AM
I'm mostly lazy too, I used to use my exercise bike a lot, but now I just don't have the energy. I hope to start again when the stomach is fixed. And then pilates of course, though I must say I haven't done that for ages.

I tried running, but whenever I work out outside my nose starts running like crazy, I can't breath, and I feel like I have to throw up. So none of that anymore, urgh.

Sunny
07-05-2006, 11:10 AM
i love the guy's hair, it looks like charlie's!!

.. well.. kind of, he has a red mohawk ;p

killer_queen
07-05-2006, 11:11 AM
If you really can't stand running or that kind of things swimming sounds like the best option for you. It's clearly much more fun than the other sports, you don't feel that you are tired, water makes you feel relaxed and you don't get all sweaty. Only annoying thing is having shower again and again and wasting too much time with drying hair and all that crap.

If you insist on running taking a good friend with you works too. At least you don't get bored easily.

So....anybody who is working out...what do you do to stay fit?
Don't eat. That always works for me. Seriously, stay awat from meat, sugar and unnatural(?) stuff. Try one of those detox diet lists, they'll make you stronger and more healthy.

Sunny
07-05-2006, 11:16 AM
doing detox is like impossible for me. i always end up binging by the end of the day.

but i don't drink sodas, only eat whole grain stuff (a recent development, yay), only drink fat free or soy milk. and i try not to eat super processed foods/sweets. so that's good, even though i can't detox for the life of me.

Nina
07-05-2006, 11:17 AM
Don't eat. That always works for me. Seriously, stay awat from meat, sugar and unnatural(?) stuff. Try one of those detox diet lists, they'll make you stronger and more healthy.

Ooohh, I dunno about that. There are so many diets...but I think the best diet is to eat healthy. No meat and no fat at all doesnt sound healthy to me. But cutting it off a *little* is always a good idea!
Same with sugar, really.

I love salads, fruit and other healthy stuff, anyway. I really wish I could eat joghurt..but I feel so much better without it (lactose intolerance) so I should really stay away from THAT.
Is there soymilk-fruitjoghurt out there? Does it taste like crap and is it expensive?

Vera
07-05-2006, 11:19 AM
I feel so bad for eating ice cream while reading this thread. :(

Tizzalicious
07-05-2006, 11:20 AM
Is there soymilk-fruitjoghurt out there? Does it taste like crap and is it expensive?

Yes there is, I have no idea how it tastes though, but since you think soymilk is okay to drink now, you'd probably like the yoghurt too. There are different brands though, and I heard some taste good, and some bad. So eh, I don't know. I haven't tried them myself yet. (And they probably are a little more expensive yeah, like the milk is too)

Nina
07-05-2006, 11:20 AM
I feel so bad for eating ice cream while reading this thread. :(

DONT.
I really dislike it when people cut off the goodies completely. I wont stop eating sugar or sugary stuff. Ever.

Ah Tizz, thanks! I guess the expensive brands will taste better :[ That's usually the case with that type of stuff. I guess I'll have to try. eep. And I drank soymilk again today, yay! It's growing on me. :)

Tizzalicious
07-05-2006, 11:21 AM
DONT.
I really dislike it when people cut off the goodies completely. I wont stop eating sugar or sugary stuff. Ever.

Hmmz well, I guess it's whatever works best for someone, like myself, not eating them at all is MUCH easier, after a while I forget how good it is, and don't miss it at all. If I have something once, I can't stop.

Tizzalicious
07-05-2006, 11:22 AM
Ah Tizz, thanks! I guess the expensive brands will taste better :[ That's usually the case with that type of stuff. I guess I'll have to try. eep. And I drank soymilk again today, yay! It's growing on me. :)

There's this site that had a lot of info on which ones were good and which ones weren't (about all kinds of soy products), it's in Dutch though, but I'll check it out and let you know which ones they thought were best!

Sunny
07-05-2006, 11:22 AM
there's o'soy, but i dunno if it's available in germany. i think it's the same price as regular yogurt.. but i've never had it.

the only kinda yogurt i like is plain :/ oh and vanilla yogurt with reeses peanut butter bites. yes, i am fucking disgusting, thanks.

Nina
07-05-2006, 11:23 AM
To Tizz:
Yeah, you are probably right, it works for some people. But I still think you can be in shape, even lose weight, although you have sugar or fat. Of course, it shouldnt be a lot. In fact, it should only be consumed in small amounts. But...there is a desease that people have who are excessive about no sugar/fat/similar (I dont know what it's called), it can become really ugly.

Nina
07-05-2006, 11:25 AM
the only kinda yogurt i like is plain :/ oh and vanilla yogurt with reeses peanut butter bites. yes, i am fucking disgusting, thanks.

That doesnt sound disgusting at all!
Since I am persian we basically have plain joghurt every day. Well, I had it for like 19 years, and now cant anymore. Germans find that so strange. o.0

Sunny
07-05-2006, 11:27 AM
do you ever have plain yogurt with honey? it might be weird, but greek yogurt + honey = lovelovelove to me.

Tizzalicious
07-05-2006, 11:28 AM
Okay, I'm at the site, here's what they like:

Yofu (by Alpro)
Sojade (a little too sweet though)
Yofu (by Provamel) (they liked the cherry one best, not too sweet, they also liked the plain one, tasted like normal yoghurt) the Vanilla one is too sweet.)

That's all brands they had, so basicly they all tasted like normal yoghurt. It's different with the milks and other products, they really hated some of those.

They have Alpro and Provamel everywhere here, and I know they have Provamel in Denmark too, so you could probably find that somewhere there.

killer_queen
07-05-2006, 11:29 AM
Yes, yes, yes! Yoghurt and honey is <3. We have plain yoghurt everyday too but I've never liked it plain. But when I mix it with honey and peanuts sometimes it becomes one of the best things to eat.

Tizzalicious
07-05-2006, 11:29 AM
To Tizz:
Yeah, you are probably right, it works for some people. But I still think you can be in shape, even lose weight, although you have sugar or fat. Of course, it shouldnt be a lot. In fact, it should only be consumed in small amounts. But...there is a desease that people have who are excessive about no sugar/fat/similar (I dont know what it's called), it can become really ugly.

Yeah, you're right, of course you can lose weight with a little, that shouldn't be a problem :)

And the disease, I posted about it in my LJ once...but I forgot what it's called now.

Sunny
07-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Yes, yes, yes! Yoghurt and honey is <3. We have plain yoghurt everyday too but I've never liked it plain. But when I mix it with honey and peanuts sometimes it becomes one of the best things to eat.

god, i'm hungry, and it's too late to get yogurt and honey now.

*chews on hand*

Nina
07-05-2006, 11:30 AM
do you ever have plain yogurt with honey? it might be weird, but greek yogurt + honey = lovelovelove to me.

Oh man! honey = H8!!! But that's just me D:

Tizz, Alpro, yeah! But they dont have that everywhere over here...so I gotta look for it. Thanks again :)

Tizzalicious
07-05-2006, 11:31 AM
Try to go to organic food stores, they'll have it for sure :)

Sunny
07-05-2006, 11:32 AM
you's a weirdo. =p

something off-topic that bothers me: when i lose weight, i lose it from my upper body. i get sticky outy ribs and tiny wrists and shit.. and my boobs get smaller.. and my lower half stays tubby.

WHY, GOD?

Nina
07-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Tizz - and you should be ssoooo proud of me cause I drank a lot of water today :P Okay...maybe 1l. But hey the day is not over yet! haha.

Sunny - STORY OF MY LIFE. But isnt running supposed to be different? That's at least what I was hoping for. I really want my thighs, tummy and arms to be thinner.

killer_queen
07-05-2006, 11:35 AM
I wish I could lose from my upper body when I lose weight. Both of you don't know how lucky you are. :(

Tizzalicious
07-05-2006, 11:35 AM
you's a weirdo. =p

something off-topic that bothers me: when i lose weight, i lose it from my upper body. i get sticky outy ribs and tiny wrists and shit.. and my boobs get smaller.. and my lower half stays tubby.

WHY, GOD?

I know the feeling :( GHETTO ASS! My arms are freakishly skinny when my ass (and thighs, got the thighs) seems to hang on to the fat like...whatever.

Edit: Nina, awesome! Keep drinking! You need a LOT, especially with this weather.

Izie
07-05-2006, 11:37 AM
I suppose cardio (such as running) would make you lose fat from all the parts of your body, but you can't help the way you're built. If the ass/thighs/arms are the problem, I'd incorporate area-specific exercises?

And I read pilates was good for muscle-shaping, not fat-losing. Cardio stuff is best fat-losing, the rest is just... Muscles. This means I should do cardio, but I HATE IT. So I do exercises and my muscles grow. Yay.

And yay for ghetto asses, RARRR!

PS My arms/shoulders are SO muscly now, HAPPIES!

Sunny
07-05-2006, 11:37 AM
yeah, running is supposed to tone our "target areas" haha. bah.

i'm afraid to go on an actual diet because ill get a bony little face and rib and no tits and my ass will STILL need its own zip code.

Sunny
07-05-2006, 11:39 AM
I know the feeling :( GHETTO ASS! My arms are freakishly skinny when my ass (and thighs, got the thighs) seems to hang on to the fat like...whatever.

i got the thighs like you wouldn't believe. dude. they're massive compared to yours :(

*cries*

Nina
07-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Tizz, if your ass ever changes I will personally come back to Holland to duct tape meat on it. Uh huh.

Tizzalicious
07-05-2006, 11:40 AM
yeah, running is supposed to tone our "target areas" haha. bah.

i'm afraid to go on an actual diet because ill get a bony little face and rib and no tits and my ass will STILL need its own zip code.

Hahaha <3

That's what probably will happen. My ass and thighs are in shape now, but that's because I'm a little skinnier than I should be (screwed up stomachs suck). But the rest is a little tooooooooo bony in some areas.

(edit: I'm an idiot for using LJ-code in here!)

Tizzalicious
07-05-2006, 11:40 AM
Tizz, if your ass ever changes I will personally come back to Holland to duct tape meat on it. Uh huh.

It'll probably grow sometime soon :P

Sunny, trust me, they are huge usually, just not now.

Izie
07-05-2006, 11:41 AM
That's what probably will happen. My ass and thighs are in shape now, but that's because I'm a little skinnier than I should be (screwed up stomachs suck). But the rest is a little tooooooooo bony in some areas.

This means I must lose MUCH more weight than I hoped. *sigh*

Fuckit, ghetto ass for life.

Nina
07-05-2006, 11:41 AM
And I read pilates was good for muscle-shaping, not fat-losing. Cardio stuff is best fat-losing, the rest is just... Muscles. This means I should do cardio, but I HATE IT. So I do exercises and my muscles grow. Yay.

Ah yes I know! But doesnt muscle build from fat? And I have a fatty gut so whenever I do pilates and my cruches the fat should (SHOULD WILL MUST) turn to muscle.
I'd love that. yay.

But no matter what happens and how much weight I lose...I never wanna lose my tatas.

Tizzalicious
07-05-2006, 11:42 AM
I think pilatesa can make you less fat too, or at least look slimmer.

And Iz, your ghetto is is already mostly gone!

Nina
07-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Yeah srsly Iz, you have no ghetto booty at all. jeez. You gotta look at mine and stuff zomg.

Sunny
07-05-2006, 11:44 AM
i wanna take my thighs fat and apply it to my boobs and then i'd be a sex machine.

wah! :(

Izie
07-05-2006, 11:44 AM
Ah yes I know! But doesnt muscle build from fat? And I have a fatty gut so whenever I do pilates and my cruches the fat should (SHOULD WILL MUST) turn to muscle.
I'd love that. yay.

I truly, seriously doubt that's possible. How can one tissue turn into other? You can burn fat and gain muscle, but turn one in the other? Hardly...

I think pilatesa can make you less fat too, or at least look slimmer.

And Iz, your ghetto is is already mostly gone!

Look slimmer yes - muscle shaping. But not lose fat, I think. Unless you combine it with stuff.

And shutup, both of you, before I send you more ass-pics to stroke you out.

And I want what Sunny wants! Rar!

Tizzalicious
07-05-2006, 11:46 AM
Ass picture would be appreciated!

I think you burn fat while doing pilates.

Nina
07-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Hm, you dont do it in one step... as in fat --> muscle.
But really, I dont know so I'll just stop talking about it now.

And....ooohh....er...yeeaahh..Iz you really dont have a ghetto booty...now send the pix.

Sunny
07-05-2006, 11:53 AM
i think the more muscle you have the faster you burn fat.

iz's ass is sects.

Izie
07-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Yah yah, you two (three) just wanna gloat :p

Paint_It_Black
07-05-2006, 01:04 PM
Working out has always made me feel good. Not immediately, but by the end of the day, and only as long as I didn't over do it. I used to have a very physical job, in which I worked 10-12 hours a day, 5 days a week, and spent almost the whole time moving around and lifting things. By the time I got home I was exhausted and my feet ached, but I also felt really good. Part of it was psychological. A lot of the men in my family do manual work, and so part of me associates this strongly with masculinity. While doing that job I felt like a hard-working, old-fashioned man. It felt good. Also, when I was in college I probably walked 5-10 miles a day. I remember generally feeling good back then, and I attribute that to the walking. My fitness has gone to hell in the last few years and I feel generally shitty most of the time.

Thinking about it, I guess just going for a run or something similar never did a whole lot for me. I only felt really good when my entire day comprised a certain level of fitness.

Jakebert
07-05-2006, 02:31 PM
I always feel really good after I go running, but I didn't the first few times I did it. Just wait until you do it a few times. It gets better.

petey
07-05-2006, 02:48 PM
i dont really like to work-out, but sometimes i go for bike rides just cause im bored. but oh well

BREAK
07-05-2006, 05:11 PM
Don't know if anyone's mentioned this already, but isn't breath control important to make running less painful? I haven't done it in about a year, but I seem to remember something about taking steady, even breaths while running so you don't get tired out too fast. The importance of leg stretches, of course, can never be overstated.

Sunny
07-05-2006, 05:15 PM
yeah, it is.

i always feel like a tool doing leg stretches in the park, but everyone and their mother is doing it too, so whatever. =p

Jakebert
07-05-2006, 05:20 PM
I don't know exactly how to explain it or why, but certain breathing patterns make running a lot easier. Usually deep breaths work best for me.

Betty
07-06-2006, 01:01 AM
This was a huge conversation that I totally missed... but I guess it's nice to hear that you hot looking ladies actually put a lot of effort into it.

My brother will attest to my ghetto booty.

I try and run... ideally 2-3 times a week... but realistically 1-2 times a week which is terrible. Whether it's good totally depends on the day, but on the good days I definitely get a runner's high by the end, especially if I sprint the last bit. It is indeed a very mental activity and varies quite a bit from day to day, so I wouldn't despair. I've found it's the most strenous activity I can do and therefore hopefully the most rewarding physically. I still don't even particularly enjoy it, but music definitely helps a lot (my mp3 player sucks ass as well).

I've started biking to and from school ideally 2-3 times a week which is about 20 minutes each way with various hills. That really works out the thighs.

I walk EVERYWHERE. Which isn't really a cardio workout, but probably burns a few calories.

And then I just do ab stuff cause I think as long as my stomach looks good, the pants should be able to hold in the rest. A 5-10 minute routine of the exercises I find work best (crunches - properly, twisted crunches, bicycle, double crunches - it's hard to explain). Also, I try and do the stomach vacuum thing but I don't know if I'm doing it properly. It feels good though so I'd imagine it's working. And it's easy and fun.

I was doing arm weight training for a few months and built up some hardcore muscle, but I don't have any dumbells yet so haven't done any lately - boo.

My biggest problem is I indulge too much. I eat healthy (veggies, fruit, whole grains, lots of variety, mostly low fat stuff, etc.) but I tend to eat lots (am working on it!) I love chocolate. I love cheese. I love mayonaise. I love butter. I drink WAY too much beer and then proceed to eat copious amounts of drunk food like pizza or poutine or something. Tonight I ate a huge bowl of chocolate mousse which was terrible. If I hardcore diet though I can lose about 5 lbs in a week - it's really hard - but pretty sweet.

arak0r
07-06-2006, 01:04 AM
im sure someone has pointed it out, but once you start gettin used to it, its aok and nifty :o the right music helps, and having the right attitude helps really.

ive noticed i have this worrying developement though, ie my dads insanity and obsessiveness when it comes to doing things :| but hey, if it helps me push that much harder, it cant be bad all the time

nitropenguin!
07-06-2006, 10:24 AM
I started a routine work-out almost two weeks ago and three days ago, I did some pretty intense exercises and I continue to suffer from it as we speak. The muscles in my thighs are throbbing and it hurts like hell when I walk down stairs. I suppose my body is not remotely used to such activity. hehehe.

Although, the few seconds I had before I got up and began walking, I felt rejuvenated. So I haven't experienced the same thing you have, Nina =/ I agree that you definitely do need the right music as well during a work-out.

- -Lauren- -
07-06-2006, 01:14 PM
I love working out! It's just the gym is quite far.

Crunches give you rock-hard abs and I LOVE EM! Plus, during the on season, I play volleyball anywhere from 6-27 hours a week. Running, jumping, it's an awesome workout.

Yay, I'm told I'll probably make the JV team this year. ;p

HornyPope
07-06-2006, 01:53 PM
I'm getting fat and nasty.
I have excercised in over a month. Like nothing at all, no walking, no jogging, no practices.

Betty
07-06-2006, 11:26 PM
Man, 27 hours of volleyball would be heavenly.

I can't wait until the fall, I miss it.