PDA

View Full Version : Awkward situation

Punk-Freak
07-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Last night i was talking with a friend. Her boyfriend has just broke up with her, so she's really depressed. Although i was trying to avoid the subject, we ended up talking about it anyway... that means, she was talking and i was trying not to say anything stupid, that could ruin our friendship.

Have you ever tried something like that and what the hell did you say?

Is it even possible to ruin a friendship, by saying something stupid?

Paint_It_Black
07-05-2006, 02:40 PM
Is it even possible to ruin a friendship, by saying something stupid?

Of course, depending how stupid.

In a situation like that just try to be comforting. Just listen, and make noises like you agree when they seem appropriate. It usually can't hurt to also say things like "he didn't deserve you anyway". Even if she really misses him, and doesn't think you're right, on some level she'll probably appreciate it. It's best not to outright lie though, so if you think he was obviously too good for her all along, don't try to say she was too good for him. If she senses you don't really mean it things will just be worse. And stay away from cliches like "there's more fish in the sea", because right now she probably isn't interested in new relationships. Only go there if she starts talking about a life full of misery and loneliness, or some such thing.

Honestly, this stuff really isn't difficult. All you have to do is CARE.