PDA

View Full Version : i almost wanna buy a Sony PSP now

Sunny
07-06-2006, 11:56 AM
almost, because i had one, got bored and sold it. =p

i'm not sure how many people are gonna find this horrible or racist, but to quote another ad campaign.. "i'm lovin it".

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/9854/wtf4uo.jpg

http://www.kotaku.com/images/2006/07/black-psp-europe-thumb.png

Nina
07-06-2006, 12:00 PM
I like it too. I wouldnt consider it racist. Because it aint being said that white is superiour or anything. Just that "it's coming".
And I'll steal my bf's PSP soon, yay.

Sunny
07-06-2006, 12:09 PM
sooo many people are flipping their SHIT over it.

i think it's damn pretty and well executed. *bah*

Rag Doll
07-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Those pictures are beautiful. dayum.

Idiot
07-06-2006, 12:30 PM
The PSP White has been available in the UK now for a fair while...

- -Lauren- -
07-06-2006, 12:50 PM
I love it. It's quite funny.

TheUnholyNightbringer
07-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Nigga stole my PSP!

Black PSPs are 5 times more likely to be violently destroyed than White PSPs. Fact.

nieh
07-06-2006, 06:09 PM
http://www.geekologie.com/images/2006/07/psp-black-white-ad3.jpg

How exactly is this supposed to sell more PSP's? Not that I find it offensive or anything just...pointless.

wheelchairman
07-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Depends who they are trying to sell to. Easy enough to figure out, where are the ads usually placed, who usually sees these ads where they are placed, what kind of an impact would affect these various peoples. And it probably worked. Both Sunny and Sam love the ads, which is a good thing for a marketeer.

BREAK
07-06-2006, 06:37 PM
If the black one didn't look so man-like, I'd condone it.

Little_Miss_1565
07-06-2006, 06:48 PM
Um, wow. Questionable racial politics like Nacho Libre has questionable racial politics.

0r4ng3
07-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Are they ever gonna release a PSP for every color? The ads for them would be interesting to see.

Apathy
07-06-2006, 09:31 PM
I bought a psp when it first came out.

And I haven't played it since.

Endymion
07-06-2006, 09:35 PM
i bought a ds lite tuesday. it's fucking awesome.

and pictochat is the best. every hour of drawing penises with your friends is the best hour of your life.

Mota Boy
07-06-2006, 10:57 PM
How exactly is this supposed to sell more PSP's?
The fact that we're talking about it on the internet.

It's questionable, but questionable to the extent that, in a crowd of people staring at it, someone should say "Is that racist?" and then be answered with "No." Ipod had an inverted campaign of "black is coming", would there be equal outrage? Perhaps then there'd be even more so, because it'd stereotype black people as aggressive. And ther'es the rub. Either way, we automatically portray black people as the victims. Viewed in complete isolation, this is a picture of two people with no backstory. Viewed in the context of the ad campaign, one is aggressively asserting itself to the other, representing the advent of a new product. It's once you put society's context around it of history and stereotypes that you begin to view it as racist. And if something has to be taken into that sort of subjective context to be viewed as racist, I don't think it actually is.

Marco
07-07-2006, 04:10 AM
I bought a psp when it first came out.

And I haven't played it since.
L-M-A-O
FUCK THE 10 CHARACTERS!!!!FOREVER!!!!!!!!

ninthlayer
07-07-2006, 04:12 AM
Marco, you're a fag and need to stop posting. Ever consider death by asphyxiation?

Sunny
07-07-2006, 04:14 AM
the choking game ftw!

(all the cool kids are doing it)

ninthlayer
07-07-2006, 04:16 AM
http://www.wavelandfiredepartment.com/TrainEquip/clip_image001.jpg

0r4ng3
07-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Update!

Wow, Americans can be such whiny pussies sometimes. (http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1536222/20060712/index.jhtml?headlines=true)

Tizzalicious
07-12-2006, 10:57 PM
People are gonna whine about it here too, I'm sure.

They bitched about some chocolate things we have called Negerzoenen ("niggerkisses"). They have been called that since forever, and the word "neger" is not used in a negative context, or does have a negative ring to it like nigger. So people are whiny pussies here too.

coke_a_holic
07-12-2006, 11:58 PM
The lack of a nationwide lynching spree during the late 80's proves the failure of that campaign. It was a good effort, though.

...You know, not including the millions of people that would've gone crazy with rage at the thought of an ad campaign like that.

Sunny
07-13-2006, 03:55 AM
fucking christ.

i can't believe they pulled it.

and it wasn't even supposed to run in the US!

arrrrrrgh. i hate shit like that. just.. stfu!

"I can't believe Sony would print such an ad. ... This ad looks as though it's saying white is superior to black (even as people).

the stupid.. it burns!!

Vera
07-13-2006, 04:09 AM
...Holy shit, I only just now noticed there's a black woman in the ad. Must be that I first viewed the topic on my desk comp, where the colours are not as bright as the laptop so the black woman blended in with the background really well.

To be honest, the first picture does give me the "slave-slave owner" vibe.. But it's just because the black woman has short hair, the kind I've seen in pictures of African-American slaves.. If the black woman had been more stylized, looking nearly as cool as the white lady, and had a different, fierce face to her, it would've been a better picture, more a combat between two women than the white woman being all "ROWR white rocks!" and the black woman looking ...kill me for using this word, oppressed.

Which is why I like the pic nieh posted, and the second picture, much better, there's a clear battle between the two women and it comes out as both of them being good (subtext being - whether you buy a black or a white one, PSP rocks!) and very equal so the battle is tough..

So yeah, overall photo shoot = rocking, that first picture, I can understand why someone might view it as racist. Needs more girl-fight, that one.

the_offsprings_monkey
07-13-2006, 04:41 AM
Update!

Wow, Americans can be such whiny pussies sometimes. (http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1536222/20060712/index.jhtml?headlines=true)
Sometimes?

Preocupado
07-13-2006, 10:20 AM
One way or another, it's suggestive. Especially in the US.

And it's efficient advertizing since it generates such a fuss on a piece of plastic being painted white.

Sunny
07-13-2006, 10:31 AM
To be honest, the first picture does give me the "slave-slave owner" vibe.. But it's just because the black woman has short hair, the kind I've seen in pictures of African-American slaves.. If the black woman had been more stylized, looking nearly as cool as the white lady, and had a different, fierce face to her, it would've been a better picture, more a combat between two women than the white woman being all "ROWR white rocks!" and the black woman looking ...kill me for using this word, oppressed.

i get what you're saying, the styling in the 1st picture is sort of... unfortunate, considering the black woman looks passive and kinda plain. i see why they would want white to appear dominant, as it is the new product, though.

i think what people (not you) are forgetting to do is to view the campaign as a whole (3 ads, not just one).

Preoccupado, it was NEVER meant to run in the US.

Preocupado
07-13-2006, 10:39 AM
The white plastic or the adds about the white plastic?

Sunny
07-13-2006, 10:40 AM
The ads. i'm sure they'll release the actual product.

JoY
07-13-2006, 11:08 AM
Are they ever gonna release a PSP for every color? The ads for them would be interesting to see.
you're hoping to be in the one for an orange edition, aren't you?

loving the pictures. they look beautiful. the one Josh posted is.. less flattering in my opinion.

Viewed in complete isolation, this is a picture of two people with no backstory. Viewed in the context of the ad campaign, one is aggressively asserting itself to the other, representing the advent of a new product. It's once you put society's context around it of history and stereotypes that you begin to view it as racist. And if something has to be taken into that sort of subjective context to be viewed as racist, I don't think it actually is.
exactly, I fully agree. you can read into something to a point even a flower is racist, because there ain't no black roses.

Sanni, I agree with you. meaning I understand you & see where you're coming from. but then I agree with Sunny's reaction to that too. white is coming, so white wins this competition. this competition between two women. WOMEN UNFRIENDLY ASSHOLES! ...yeah.

the pictures, especially the first one, look kinda kinky to me (kinky = good); dominatrix rarrr. they seem more sexual than racist to me.

I think it's fabulous the US wants to make the world a better place, but for god's sake.. for serious. *raised eyebrow* what do they think they're complaining about? what kind of dark Freudian thoughts do you keep secret, if you keep suspecting everything of racism?

what I absolutely hate is the paranoia around the entire issue of racism. (like for instance around the issue of "negerzoenen" here in the Netherlands, like Tizz pointed out) I can't even call my friend Iranian - which he is & which he therefore has no problems whatsoever with - without ten people telling me I'm not supposed to point out that he's from another culture.

so.. basically, if I get this right.. every non-white person on this earth should from now on hide the fact they're not "Aryan", like they're ashamed, & we're supposed to not see someone from Mozambique is pitch black & be infected with some kind of new generation of colour blindness, out of our OWN fear to come off racist? people, people! it's alright to acknowledge the fact the world is a colourful place. so like any other life form, humans come in different sizes, shapes & colours - who says/claims one is better than the other by simply acknowledging that & in this case using it as an effect in an ad?

0r4ng3
07-13-2006, 12:08 PM
I was actually thinking of a PSP Yellow. Now that would make a funny ad.

Also, here's a picture of the controversial ad for the DS Lite:
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/images/news/ds_ad.jpg

Nina
07-13-2006, 12:10 PM
hahaha I think it's amusing.

Edit: But isnt it a rip-off? uh?

0r4ng3
07-13-2006, 12:11 PM
Um, yeah, that's the point. It's not real.

Nina
07-13-2006, 12:12 PM
stop editing posts :[
I thought it was real.

Vera
07-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Hahahaha, Orange, that rocks.

Yeah, it's only the first picture that gives me the vibes. The rest are hot and I dig them.

JoY
07-13-2006, 12:38 PM
I must say the longer I look at that third picture, the more I like it aswell. I just thought the claw-like hands looked a bit, I don't know, unflattering? like it's kinda overdoing it? but honestly, it does get the message across of "rarr, wild animals, CATFITE!". oh yes, these pictures are le hotz.

noodlesfan
07-13-2006, 12:46 PM
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/images/news/ds_ad.jpg
I can't believe you're putting down fat people! You're clearly not advertising a product, you're telling people to pick up fat people by their face!!

I think we should shut down the news, because they show black people commiting crimes, this sends out a negative signal.

We should destroy all pencils, because they show that black will try to overpower white.

Rainbows are illegal because they don't represent the full ethnic diversity of the world.

Vera
07-13-2006, 12:59 PM
I think this coming from a guy who wants to shoot Mexicans ... no, it wouldn't be funny even if you didn't want to shoot Mexicans.

noodlesfan
07-13-2006, 01:00 PM
I think this coming from a guy who wants to shoot Mexicans ... no, it wouldn't be funny even if you didn't want to shoot Mexicans.
Not mexicans, illegal immigrants. I don't mind mexicans when they're here legally.

JoY
07-13-2006, 03:03 PM
noodlesfan, I hope one day someone from your own colour who shares your home country & first language will shoot you in the kneecaps. not for being a prick, not for being nationalist, not for being "racist", but because he simply hates people that are mentally handicapped. not the handicapped, just the mentally handicapped.

noodlesfan
07-13-2006, 04:21 PM
...just the mentally handicapped.
There aren't any written records of myself having ANY mental issues.

Sunny
07-13-2006, 04:41 PM
...you're forgetting your posts.

ninthlayer
07-13-2006, 04:46 PM
You're forgetting to use your fucking phone, MAGS!

Little_Miss_1565
07-13-2006, 06:17 PM

OHHHH SNAP.

JoY
07-13-2006, 10:16 PM
Sunny: badabing badaboom! *cracks up*

JohnnyNemesis
07-14-2006, 08:08 AM
lolz @ white people whining.

noodlesfan
07-14-2006, 10:59 AM
lolz at the irony of a beaner making fun of white people.

Vera
07-14-2006, 01:17 PM
Quoted for truth.

Paint_It_Black
07-14-2006, 04:30 PM

Hey, at least we don't get compared to every non-white athlete with a shaved head.

JohnnyNemesis
07-14-2006, 04:34 PM
lawlzull; touché; etc.

Little_Miss_1565
07-21-2006, 08:02 PM
Fake Mac ad FTW! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc4oP_ITqMc)

0r4ng3
07-21-2006, 08:07 PM
"and I run faster, too"

Oh man, it's too late at night to be suppressing this much laughter.

JohnnyNemesis
07-22-2006, 03:13 PM
I enjoyed that WAY too much.

Sunny
07-22-2006, 10:21 PM
wow, that was the best fake mac ad yet.

roffles!