PDA

View Full Version : Ritalin

Autonomist
07-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Was just wondering, what's everyones thoughts on this drug, and has anyone had any experiences with it worth sharing?

wheelchairman
07-09-2006, 04:11 PM
It's handed out far too freely in the United states. Might be because actual treatment over a long term is too expensive for many families.

Usually it's teachers recommending it. And that's a little sad, because teachers are nuts and shitty.

Nina
07-09-2006, 04:13 PM
Usually it's teachers recommending it. And that's a little sad, because teachers are nuts and shitty.

That's the first thing I thought. I'd also like to point out the danger behind it because teachers make bad decisions veerry often (yes they dooo. They've gone mad from all the children).

Other than that, I dont know shit about it.

0r4ng3
07-09-2006, 04:14 PM
I almost had to take it when I was 8 or 9. I don't know how close I actually got to being perscribed, but I'm glad I never took it.

wheelchairman
07-09-2006, 04:17 PM
Every kid I knew who had to take it, just got a shorter temper. They were always the ones who were easier to tick off.

Jakebert
07-09-2006, 04:35 PM
I almost had to take it when I was 8 or 9. I don't know how close I actually got to being perscribed, but I'm glad I never took it.

Yeah, same here. My dad is very against that stuff, so he didn't let them put me on it.

XYlophonetreeZ
07-09-2006, 06:05 PM
Ritalin's obsolete. Don't trust anyone prescribing it these days. All the docs who are up with the times prescribe Focalin now, which is exactly the same thing as Ritalin except it isolates the only half of the drug used in Ritalin that's useful. Some dude won the Nobel for discovering that one of Ritalin's stereoisomers is no good and is responsible for most side effects like growth stunting, and the other one is responsible for all the intended beneficial effects of the drug. So he isolated it and the good isomer is now prescribed alone, best known as Focalin, in doses half the equivalent prescription of Ritalin.

He won the fucking Nobel prize, so I'm kinda baffled as to why anyone ever takes Ritalin anymore.

All About Eve
07-09-2006, 06:07 PM
My sister takes medidate. It's more focused towards helping concentration.

ruroken
07-09-2006, 06:21 PM
I wanted to take it when I went off it...

XYlophonetreeZ
07-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Why am I not surprised that ruroken's a Ritalin child?

Sin Studly
07-09-2006, 09:26 PM
and has anyone had any experiences with it worth sharing?

What, you think it's a recreational drug or something? Idiot.

All the docs who are up with the times prescribe Focalin now

Over here we still mainly prescribe dextroamphetamine sulfate to the ADD kids. And not in that watered-down Yankee adderall packed with inferior r-amphetamines, I'm talking nothing but dex sulfate and inert filler. Backwards, perhaps, but oh so tasty! In five years I guess we'll be using Ritalin while Focalin has been outdated.

ruroken
07-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Why am I not surprised that ruroken's a Ritalin child?
Because I've said a hundred times before that I have ADHD?

XYlophonetreeZ
07-10-2006, 12:31 AM
Oh, you didn't have to say it.

Autonomist
07-10-2006, 03:02 AM

Of course I don't. I know what ritalin is and what it's used for, fuck I'm not that naive.

Sin Studly
07-10-2006, 04:43 AM
Then what kind of experiences are you talking about?

JoY
07-10-2006, 05:55 AM
I've read every single thing about it I could get my hands on, when it was prescribed to me. mainly my own medical books. so I was pretty well informed before taking it.

1 out of 30 people has ADHD/ADD & Ritalin can be useful for only 1 out of 40. in the Netherlands Ritalin is prescribed for 1 out of 60 people, in America almost 1 out of 15. (different studies show different numbers, but results all come down to the same thing)

for people with ADHD/ADD there's some kind of dysfunctional switch. it works inefficiently. when making a brainscan, you can actually see some parts are overactive, but those aren't the parts that are supposed to be active during the activity at hand. Ritalin is supposed to inhibit those parts & activate the ones you actually need.

it isn't speed. I used to joke that it's pretty much speed, but it's methylfenidat, the amount of amphetamines is very limited. that does mean it has similar side effects. I hardly notice any side effects, though. my doctor made it sound like I had to eat fifty meals a day to stay at a normal weight, but so far I weigh exactly the same as before ever taking it. I don't have problems with food, insomnia, things like that, which are described as side effects of Ritalin.

I used to set alarm clocks so I'd take them on time, but I still often forget to take them. it's ridiculous anyway that people who don't know order & structure get medication prescribed they have to take three times a day. when I take them on time regularly, they help. make me less restless & chaotic. less hopeless. if/when I get used to the Ritalin schedule, I can take a newer medication you only have to take once a day. concerta, oder etwas. it's basically the same, except it disolves less easily & is absorbed more slowly. I don't how else to explain the Dutch term for it in English.

Edit: oh right, & don't drink alcohol with it, because then it does have the same effect as speed. my doctor & I have been very interested in the effects it has on me. so far good results; more focuss, less stuck in one activity (hyperfocuss), more efficiency... but right now I don't take it regularly & am just as hopeless as I was before. thank god I have one extremely structured boyfriend, who helps me to create order in my chaos.

Sunny
07-10-2006, 06:22 AM

just because it isn't doesn't mean people don't take it as such (cough syrup, anyone?)

i'm surprised you're surprised.

clokey43
07-10-2006, 07:20 AM
My brother used Ritalin for almot 10yrs. He was diagnosed with ADHD at 6yrs adn stopped taking the drug at 16yrs, is is 21yrs now. I have seen the effects this drug has. It does indeed calm the user down. My brother used to get violent when he didn't take his ritalin so this was really helpful for my mother who had 3 other children. However, I do feel it is handed out far to much now and every child with mild behaviour problems is diagnosed with ADHD or something of that matter. Now my brother is older he is much better at controlling his emotions and attitude although he is still very 'active' he can't possibly sit still. The drug is very affective and I would support its use.

Italia311
07-10-2006, 08:17 AM

That bothers me. I find most teachers just don't want to deal with the kid and recommend them to have ritalin. It happend to my brother, he never went on ritalin because my parents snaped but, hes fine now...what the hell.

His teacher had this, "im not a full-time babysitter" attitude. I guess he shouldn't have taken the job of grade 5 teacher. Kid was 10.

Autonomist
07-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Then what kind of experiences are you talking about?

I've read every single thing about it I could get my hands on, when it was prescribed to me. mainly my own medical books. so I was pretty well informed before taking it.

1 out of 30 people has ADHD/ADD & Ritalin can be useful for only 1 out of 40. in the Netherlands Ritalin is prescribed for 1 out of 60 people, in America almost 1 out of 15. (different studies show different numbers, but results all come down to the same thing)

for people with ADHD/ADD there's some kind of dysfunctional switch. it works inefficiently. when making a brainscan, you can actually see some parts are overactive, but those aren't the parts that are supposed to be active during the activity at hand. Ritalin is supposed to inhibit those parts & activate the ones you actually need.

it isn't speed. I used to joke that it's pretty much speed, but it's methylfenidat, the amount of amphetamines is very limited. that does mean it has similar side effects. I hardly notice any side effects, though. my doctor made it sound like I had to eat fifty meals a day to stay at a normal weight, but so far I weigh exactly the same as before ever taking it. I don't have problems with food, insomnia, things like that, which are described as side effects of Ritalin.

I used to set alarm clocks so I'd take them on time, but I still often forget to take them. it's ridiculous anyway that people who don't know order & structure get medication prescribed they have to take three times a day. when I take them on time regularly, they help. make me less restless & chaotic. less hopeless. if/when I get used to the Ritalin schedule, I can take a newer medication you only have to take once a day. concerta, oder etwas. it's basically the same, except it disolves less easily & is absorbed more slowly. I don't how else to explain the Dutch term for it in English.

Edit: oh right, & don't drink alcohol with it, because then it does have the same effect as speed. my doctor & I have been very interested in the effects it has on me. so far good results; more focuss, less stuck in one activity (hyperfocuss), more efficiency... but right now I don't take it regularly & am just as hopeless as I was before. thank god I have one extremely structured boyfriend, who helps me to create order in my chaos.

and etc.

DeAtHsTaR
07-10-2006, 08:40 PM
When I was on that stuff in the 3rd grade, all it made me do was make me lose my temper very quickly, so I got in about 15 fights that year.

Sin Studly
07-10-2006, 09:43 PM
i'm surprised you're surprised.

Yeah, my bad. But you keep forgetting, I never dated Schuyler.

Rocky-girl
07-11-2006, 03:12 AM
It's a drug that's all.

Autonomist
07-26-2006, 06:51 AM
Bump because this is sort of the same topic.

Does anyone know any other medication used to treat ADHD?

Endymion
07-26-2006, 07:10 AM
a good, solid beating.

barangatang
07-26-2006, 04:15 PM
Bump because this is sort of the same topic.

No, but I saw a dr. phil special on add/adhd and I remember him saying that the types of foods you eat can effect it. The more veggies you consume the calmer you are but the foods high in cholesterol and sugar make you more rambunctious. I don't know though, sounds like an excuse to make kids eat right.

I have an auditory processing disorder, and ritalin has been recommended to me countless times, all of which I've rejected it.

Thatsmypunk
07-26-2006, 09:01 PM
I took ritalin from ages 11-18. Now 26 and haven't been on it since. It seemed to help me.

barangatang
08-01-2006, 04:58 PM
Ritalin's obsolete. Don't trust anyone prescribing it these days. All the docs who are up with the times prescribe Focalin now, which is exactly the same thing as Ritalin except it isolates the only half of the drug used in Ritalin that's useful. Some dude won the Nobel for discovering that one of Ritalin's stereoisomers is no good and is responsible for most side effects like growth stunting, and the other one is responsible for all the intended beneficial effects of the drug. So he isolated it and the good isomer is now prescribed alone, best known as Focalin, in doses half the equivalent prescription of Ritalin.

He won the fucking Nobel prize, so I'm kinda baffled as to why anyone ever takes Ritalin anymore.

Do you know the name of "the dude" who won it? I searched the Nobel prize main page but couldn't find anything.

ThrashedThrasher
08-02-2006, 12:23 AM
My brother was diagnosed with ADHD & ODD just after his 7th birthday , he now takes a 20mg eight hour extended tab...He started out with 10mg and after the first week it started to become inefficient. It works fine for him now, but as soon as 6:00PM comes around his medication wears off. My mother doesn't want to try new medications because she doesn't want him on the Ritalin in the first place, but she knows damn well she'd be totally insane by now if we hadn't found something for him.

In another case, my boyfriend has ADHD. He's been on various different medications since he was 4 years old, he is now almost 18. Some worked better than others...he too is on Ritalin now (they're slow acting, 30mg pills, he's supposed to take 3 at different times of the day. Instead he takes just 2 in the morning). From what he's told me, the Ritalin has worked much better than all the other crap he's had shoved down his throat. There was one he tried for awhile that made him seem like he had really bad OCD (I can't remember what it's called at the moment..)

How the shit works and it's efficiency really depends on the person, I don't see where it's a bad thing. With ADHD you do have to try different things until you find the "right" one. I do agree that ADHD/ADD itself is being over-diagnosed nowadays though...

Sin Studly
08-02-2006, 03:03 AM

Amphetamines.