PDA

View Full Version : "Slavery reparations gaining momentum"

Mota Boy
07-10-2006, 04:29 AM
Seriously, is there anyone out there who doesn't think this is absolutely retarded? (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060709/ap_on_re_us/slavery_reparations) Because quite honestly, I think it's so blatantly, mind-blowingly stupid of an issue that I'm not even going to bother arguing argainst it unless I can actually hear why anyone would think it's anywhere near a good idea.

Little_Miss_1565
07-10-2006, 09:35 AM
There is an American sense of entitlement that is really pretty gross.

the_GoDdEsS
07-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Oh Jesus Christ.

Really. What the fuck? While my government publically throws around with racist statements, the West never fails to surprise me with its apologetic nature. And it's really too much. You're like the Germans. They constantly have to bring up the Holocaust as something terrible they feel ashamed of and responsible for. Okay, it was bad but it's annoying. And what the hell, the people of today have nothing to do with what happened in the past. Great, just great.

HornyPope
07-10-2006, 01:20 PM
ou're like the Germans. They constantly have to bring up the Holocaust as something terrible they feel ashamed of and responsible for. Okay, it was bad but it's annoying.

I hope you know that was a very idiotic way of phrasing it.

As for slavery reparations, it wont happen in it's current context. No one will agree to "pay back" for what their grand parents did few centuries before. But it could be an initiative to "level the field" for Americans. The way things are doing now, with the welfare state practictly non existant and neo con leading the charge, it could be that a drastic fix-a-hole policy is introduced a generation or two down the time line when that hole becomes evident. When the disparity between Americans becomes so present you can't hide it anymore. It could be then that someone thinks of "hey I know, let's throw money at them".

the_GoDdEsS
07-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Maybe I did not phrase it the way I wanted to, but I meant it's good that it gets talked about but I don't like how they guiltrip the young generation and how there are people who are literally ashamed of being German because of their past they themselves did not choose. I've talked about that with locals when I lived there.

Vera
07-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Anything that's been done in a Dave Chappelle sketch probably isn't a great idea.

Except Prince playing basketball. That is always a fucking fantastic idea.

Little_Miss_1565
07-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Anything that's been done in a Dave Chappelle sketch probably isn't a great idea.

I was so just thinking about that sketch. Serious LOLZ.

leibstandarte109
07-10-2006, 05:17 PM
There is an American sense of entitlement that is really pretty gross.

I can agree with you on that one. Everybody expects the world to come to them, regardless of whether they deserve it or not.

A man said to the universe, "Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the Universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

-Stephen Crane

Sin Studly
07-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Will the descendents of the Zulu, Matabele and other powerful African tribes also be paying reparations to the African-Americans for enslaving and selling them in the first place?

Little_Miss_1565
07-10-2006, 10:34 PM
Will the descendents of the Zulu, Matabele and other powerful African tribes also be paying reparations to the African-Americans for enslaving and selling them in the first place?

Very good question. Though the counterpoint would be, would those tribes have sold them if there wasn't a market?

Sin Studly
07-11-2006, 12:37 AM
No, how can you sell slaves if there's nobody there to buy them? But then, they still would have raided, killed, raped and enslaved them. It's not like they got the idea of slavery from us, it was going on for thousands of years before we arrived.

Which would make the counterpoint's issue not being that blacks were enslaved and treated horribly, but that blacks were enslaved and treated horribly by whites. Racist doublestandards much?

Little_Miss_1565
07-11-2006, 07:56 AM
by whites[/i]. Racist doublestandards much?

Yeah. Well, better the devil you know I guess, than a shadowy tale of what happened that nobody has an actual memory of.

Sin Studly
07-11-2006, 08:20 AM
That and there's no 'Black Guilt' to exploit.

Sunny
07-11-2006, 08:25 AM
Oh Jesus Christ.

Really. What the fuck? While my government publically throws around with racist statements, the West never fails to surprise me with its apologetic nature. And it's really too much. You're like the Germans.

i'm not sure what's worse, being constantly apologetic and overly PC, or being blatantly racist and ignorant. both are annoying as fuck.

(on an unrelated note, I'm wondering how different Poland and Slovakia are. You often mention the "the West vs us", "this is how we do it here as opposed to THE WEST"... and I'm realizing that Poland is becoming westernized VERY quickly, to the point that the "us vs the West" attitude is starting to sound outdated. So how big is the cultural gap between our countries, really?)

But it could be an initiative to "level the field" for Americans. The way things are doing now, with the welfare state practictly non existant and neo con leading the charge, it could be that a drastic fix-a-hole policy is introduced a generation or two down the time line when that hole becomes evident. When the disparity between Americans becomes so present you can't hide it anymore.

i agree 100%, thank you.

the_GoDdEsS
07-11-2006, 10:21 AM
(Offtopics:

Yeah, both are overdone.

And I think our countries are not really that awfully different. With Slovakia it pretty much depends on the region. The capital city is kinda becoming a standard EU city, but still with a lot of Eastern European vibe. They are just more pro-West oriented and inclined to like the EU because it's providing a lot of advantages for the rich (minority). Whereas the rest of the country I'd say is rather sceptical about the West. We will always be Eastern European and Slavic and you will not get that mentality out of the people's heads, ever. Slavic soul, maybe? And even as much as the EU will attempt to change certain things or laws here, they will never change them in the heads of the people. Our people don't feel like they can relate to the mentality or lifestyle of the West. At all. There are way too many differences. So the general sentiment is not hateful, just very very sceptical. Also when you compare it to the Czechs, they're going completely and utterly pro-West. I'm not sure what it's like among the poorer classes there but generally Czechs are big West suck ups being the closest country to Germany and all.)

Mota Boy
07-11-2006, 10:37 AM
When the disparity between Americans becomes so present you can't hide it anymore. It could be then that someone thinks of "hey I know, let's throw money at them".
But that'll be along economic lines, not racial ones. And currently, the neoconservative economic story is Reaganomics - cut taxes to the rich and the poor will benefit.

HornyPope
07-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Yeah. the more money the rich get, the more leftovers they can afford to throw away for the poor to pick up.
But that practice won't hold for much longer. How long I don't know. But I could visualise a drastic change in mid to late-ish 21st century.

It could be then that some genius has an idea to kill two birds with one stone, to both award the "reparation money" and subsidise the income of nation's poorest people.

Little_Miss_1565
07-11-2006, 03:32 PM
My big question though is where the money for slavery reparations would even come from. This country is broke. More than broke.

40 acres and a mule doesn't seem like it'd cut it.

HornyPope
07-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Also it doesn't matter who enslaved who. The root of the argument isn't that the black slaves were sold to slavery and mistreated and now they want apology money, but that the they performed years of labour for companies directly under US jurisdiction for no compensation. And now, being rightfull citizens of this country, and few centuries later, they want the record sorted between black employees and their employers.

That argument of course has a lot of holes and wouldn't pass in the courts. But not because the blacks also don't lobby Zulu for their money. Just because a person was insulted by two parties doesn't mean he has to sue both of them. It's not double standards, it's just turning to whoemever has the higher potential compensation, and easier to trace, and easier to turn to. Oh and happens to live in the same fucking country. How's that for a reason why the blacks would turn to their Gov for compensation rather than seek out Africans ?

Little_Miss_1565
07-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Just because a person was insulted by two parties doesn't mean he has to sue both of them.

Hehe, clearly, you are Canadian.

HornyPope
07-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Je ne comprends pas.... ?

Little_Miss_1565
07-11-2006, 08:46 PM
The American litigious spirit?

Sin Studly
07-11-2006, 09:28 PM
How's that for a reason why the blacks would turn to their Gov for compensation rather than seek out Africans ?

There are plenty of reasons. The biggest being that Africans aren't stupid enough to want to take responsibility for the evil shit their great-grandparents did. Only whites are that stupid.

Well, not all whites. The whites that view reparations as a concept they won't actually have to participate in. Something nice and 'awwws' to appease white guilt, something they can lobby for and cry over and never actually have to pay up for. The type of whites who claim Australia should give all the aboriginals land back, then stare blankly when I ask them why they don't fuck off home to England and give their house to the coons.

This whole 'sins of the father' thing is pathetic. What makes it more pathetic is that only one group of races is expected to pay for them. What makes it unforgivably pathetic is that whites are bringing this on themselves, because they're idiots.

HornyPope
07-12-2006, 03:08 AM
I'll put it this way: if the black slave merchants today were wealthy, do you not think the slavery reparations initiative had equally been extended to them? Because what you're saying now is the blacks only want white man's money, thus double standarded. I say the arguments to ask for reparations from one party and not from the other are purely economic. It's not like the african-americans shy to take from africa, it's that there is nothing to take.

I'll reiterate again that I don't support it one bit. I just don't think it's racist to demand payments, but I guess you can make it seem that anything revolving around a racial group can be automatically linked to racism and double standards.

Oh and, because this is awesome.

http://www.sinkers.org/latuff/kkk.gif

Sin Studly
07-12-2006, 07:33 AM
Because what you're saying now is the blacks only want white man's money, thus double standarded. I say the arguments to ask for reparations from one party and not from the other are purely economic. It's not like the african-americans shy to take from africa, it's that there is nothing to take.

Oh hell no. It's because they know only whites are stupid enough to give it to them. And it's not that there's nothing to take from Africa, ever heard of the phrase 'blood diamonds'? It's just that Africans aren't such wet weeping PC vaginas that they'll give the money up.

I just don't think it's racist to demand payments, but I guess you can make it seem that anything revolving around a racial group can be automatically linked to racism and double standards.

You misunderstand, it's not the demanding of payments that I find racist. If they can get away with it, good for them. It's just exploitation of white guilt, a racist sentiment fostered and created by whites. I wouldn't expect anyone not to try and take advantage of it, I just think it's racist that whites seem to expect and even want this shit piled on them.

HornyPope
07-12-2006, 12:10 PM
Oh fuck i'm not typing out the difference between what Americans can give versus Africa. Yes, Africa has diamonds; no, it doesn't reflect their wealth one bit. Don't be a fucking idiot.

Also you're always quite fixated on a portion of people who do this and that but that's never a representitive of our society. I'll even tell you why with with the help of two facts, and see if you can figure it out on your own if you connect the two together.

Fact one: people are involved in politics.
Fact two: people, as a rule, are stupid.

See where i'm going? It depends on what you mean by "white guilt" but roughly I think the ammount of people who would rather sit quiet and take the blame for all the black misery because "its better than to respond and, god forbid, provoke them in any way" is somewhat equivalant to the people who consider themselves superior by virtue of race. So the two practictly cancel each other out. What you're left with is the middle of the populace, who, though not particulary bright, have at least heard that there exists "logic" and tend to apply it regulary to situation. And that middle so far presevers the status quo and that middle won't hear anything about giving one's money to support someone's suffering centuries away.

And when I said that it might happen a generation or two from now, which by the way I don't think it will, but if it does it would be by a cast of oppertunitist politicians turning to slavery reparations as an excuse to fix or overshadow whatever current event. Like if the disperancy between blacks and whites rises to an extreme and mobs rush to the streets to protest their conditions. It won't be because someone is so embarassed at the crimes of his great, great, great, great, great parents that may or may have not lived in America or may or may not have owned slaves, that he decides to do something about it. Don't kid yourself. We're at least a millenia from there.