PDA

View Full Version : incoherent rant about US immigration ahead

Sunny
07-10-2006, 07:41 PM
warning: i'm exhausted and don't really know what i'm doing/saying. this might just be gibberish. sry!

meet sunny. sunny is 21.

she comes from Poland, a country that is, allegedly, a "friend of the United States of America". sunny is also caucasian and female (doesn't really fit the terrorist profile).

sunny has one valid tourist visa allowing for multiple entries whenever she desires. said visa is valid til 2012 (yes, that long).

sunny is also a full-time undergraduate student at a prestigious American college. a senior, in fact, with an unusually large financial awards package - meaning, the school values her quite a bit. obviously, that also means she has a STUDENT visa.

and best yet...
sunny is married to a United States citizen - has been for almost a year now.

that was the backstory.

AAAaaand... in spite of ALL THOSE FACTORS THAT SPEAK IN MY FAVOR, i just went through hell on wheels to ensure that i WILL BE ALLOWED RE-ENTRY to the US.

why, you ask?

I lost a small white document that supplements my student visa. It states that I am allowed/eligible to study at my school. All the document says is my address, my financial info, my major and my expected date of graduation. whoop-dee-deedy-doo. I have my transcripts, it dont matter. I have proof of my major, dont matter. Proof of registration, tuition receipts? who cares. They need that one specific paper - or I'm gonna have to turn around and go byebyes. back to Euroland we go!

Sure, I could enter on my TOURIST visa (valid til 2012!!), but entering on a tourist visa with intent to study full time is a violation of US law. I'D BE A CRIMINAL, HELLO. tru punx, anyone?

And the fact that I'm married to an US citizen doesn't help me at all, because I don't have our marriage certificate on me.

Well, my school reissued me a new document that would allow me entry and they FedExed it. However, the document wouldn't arrive in time for my Wednesday flight, so I had to reschedule to Friday. for *only* $300! woo! and 2 more days without my husband!

Apparently all is well that ends well, but I am rather pissed.
gah.

BREAK
07-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Dayumn!

Are you planning to get naturalized?

Sunny
07-10-2006, 07:49 PM
well, a resident alien status with a work permit works just as well.

not sure how i feel about giving up EU citizenship, and i'd have to.

BREAK
07-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Right on, right on.

I guess what I meant to ask was "So, are you planning to remain in the United States?"

Sunny
07-10-2006, 08:00 PM
for a few years yeah, then we'll see what we want to do (and where).

HornyPope
07-10-2006, 08:07 PM
Why would you have to give up your EU citizenship?

DeAtHsTaR
07-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Why would you have to give up your EU citizenship?
You can't be a citizen in two countries, if I'm not mistaken.

Sunny
07-10-2006, 08:14 PM
Apparently Poland doesn't allow dual citizenships.

so =/

HornyPope
07-10-2006, 08:15 PM
So what, but Poland doesn't know that you're American (in the event that you become naturalised)!

You are mistaken, deathstart. Please don't talk.

HornyPope
07-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Basicly as you renew your passport every year, just don't announce them you're American now. And no one will know. It's not like US immigration notifies them.

p.s. Poland isn't friends of the US, they just pimp you cause you suck their dick in return for protection against Russia.

Little_Miss_1565
07-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Sunny, that is truly teh gayz. In related news of losing important things and then it costs a lot, I lost my cell phone this weekend and it too cost me close to $300. I know that's nowhere neeeear. But. We both got sucked dry. And not in the happy fun way. So sorry you had to go through that.

The marriage thing isn't enough a lot of times--one of my dad's coworkers' daughters is married to a Chinese man, and he is stuck in China now because he went to go visit his family, and then something got fucked up with his INS application and he is barred from trying to reenter the country for almost five years. Something is seriously wrong with this country's immigration policies.

JohnnyNemesis
07-10-2006, 08:48 PM
To Sunny I say:

GET OUTTA MY COUNTRY! USA! USA!

Paint_It_Black
07-10-2006, 09:42 PM
That sucks Sunny. I have my own fair share of issues with US Immigration. I feel for ya.

Sin Studly
07-10-2006, 09:44 PM
It should be legal to shoot all immigrants because mexican prez only speaked spanish in america wtf is wrong with that???

Tizzalicious
07-10-2006, 10:25 PM
Oh wow, that really does suck. H8 @ official rules that don't make sense.

the_GoDdEsS
07-10-2006, 10:28 PM
That's pretty stupid. I hate papers.

0r4ng3
07-10-2006, 10:29 PM
That's pretty stupid. I hate papers.
I agree. Scissors is where it's at.

sKratch
07-11-2006, 12:02 AM
To Sunny I say:

This post is good.

Vera
07-11-2006, 01:29 AM
To Sunny I say:

This post was what I was going to post. :(

And to Sunny: Wah, bureucracy is shit.

Lars
07-11-2006, 03:56 AM
You can't be a citizen in two countries, if I'm not mistaken.Do as the Pope says. I've got 3.

I've never had that problem, its really fucking stupid though. My sister in law had that problem, she married my brother over there and couldn't leave to visit her grand dad who was dying over here because of that kind of bullshit. By the time she got some kind of visa or something sorted out he'd died.

My parents had to give away their green cards the last time we went, but then they'd not lived there of visited the needed 90 days each year, in the past many years. Still took about two hours for them to do that. Then ofcourse the immigration people had conficting views on how to and how long it would take if they ever wanted to get them again.

wheelchairman
07-11-2006, 04:22 AM
I have duel citizenship. You just have to have parents from both countries. Gosh sunny. It'll be useless if I ever become Prime Minister/President.

Anyways my dad had the Legal Alien/Resident status and it was pretty much as good as any other. The only drawback was the longer lines he had to sit through on return to the US every time we travelled to Denmark.

HornyPope
07-11-2006, 05:08 PM
Russia btw also doesn't recognise dual citizenship, the two reason I can think of being so they don't have to worry about extradicting you elsewhere for trial and and two that it doesn't serve you as an escape from the military. I can't enter Russia until i'm 28 years old (after the age of eligilibity for the draft has gone) on a Russian passport or they can lawfully detain me if I don't provide papers from the military that they release me. The stories are actually somewhat of guys hold at airport for days until they negotiate an agreement (read: bribe) and let go.

And concerning immigration, my experiences have so far (knock on wood) been positive actually. I did have the stupidest hassle with the Canadian officials when I tried to renew the passport but didn't have the "citizenship card" with me because it was stolen a year ago in Prague. You see, it takes either the card or a Canadian birth certificate to renew a passport. An old passport plus drivers licence, medical card, permanent residence doc etc are apperantly not proof enough. But problem is it takes 3-8 months to renew the card (and i got it in under four months- so yay!) so it was extremly annoying that I couldn't get a new passport because of a stupid beaurocratic procedure.

I could have applied for a temporary emergency passport, but because my current one was already temporary I got to remplace the stolen, that option didn't apply. I mean I understand why those rules exist, but you'd think with the technology today they can just fax to Canadian immigration or what-have-you in Ottawa and confirm my status in a week, but instead I had to wait for that stupid card for three fucking months.

Little_Miss_1565
07-11-2006, 08:26 PM
My parents had to give away their green cards the last time we went, but then they'd not lived there of visited the needed 90 days each year, in the past many years. Still took about two hours for them to do that. Then ofcourse the immigration people had conficting views on how to and how long it would take if they ever wanted to get them again.

And they wonder why there are so many illegal immigrants. Taking *away* a green card, wtf?!

Izie
07-12-2006, 01:46 AM
Iz pwns paperwork.

Just had to share, sorry.

Kthxbi.