PDA

View Full Version : your favorite director?

igniton/pyro
07-11-2006, 12:53 PM
what is your favorite director?
mine is Quentin Tarantino. hes movies are so cool. i love the KILL BILL movies.

Rocky-girl
07-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Commies don't look on provocations!

TheUnholyNightbringer
07-11-2006, 01:00 PM
Why do you have WCM's old avatar?

SaiKYoU
07-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Tarantino, i cannot wait for Grind Hostel and Inglorious Bastards... Grind Hostel is late this year, but Inglotious Bastards is on 2007 :(

mrconeman
07-11-2006, 01:04 PM
If any small girls say Tim Burton, I'll actually cry.

offspring fan
07-11-2006, 01:05 PM
Tim Burton

killer_queen
07-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Tarantino is just way too... I don't know what you call it, overrated? I mean, of course, he made pretty good movies. Reservoir Dogs is one of my favourites for example but also most of his movies plainly suck. Especially Kill Bill movies.

Zee
07-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Renny Harlin.

He's a master of making an unintentional comic art, that's why. A formula movie, fuck yeah!

offspring fan
07-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Tarantino is just way too... I don't know what you call it, overrated? I mean, of course, he made pretty good movies. Reservoir Dogs is one of my favourites for example but also most of his movies plainly suck. Especially Kill Bill movies.
Kill Bill is the worst movie i have ever seen.

H1T_That
07-11-2006, 03:22 PM
John Carpenter.

TheVNote
07-11-2006, 03:33 PM
It's all about M-Night...

jacknife737
07-11-2006, 03:40 PM
Tarantino, John Woo, Robert Rodriguez, Guy Ritchie, Bruce Macdonald

Edit: Fuck, i forgot Kevin Smith

nieh
07-11-2006, 03:43 PM
It's all about M-Night...

Every movie he's made has been worse than the one before. He started off pretty good but it's just gone downhill from there.

I dunno if I have a favorite director. I have a high tendency to enjoy Spike Jonze stuff but I really haven't seen a whole lot by him.

mrconeman
07-11-2006, 03:48 PM
Favourite dictator would have been a good thread...

I'm not really sure who my favourite director would be (attempting to make this post have some meaning here...) I dont usually pay attention to who directed my favourite movies, other than when its shoved down my throat (Tarentino movies for example)

I guess Tarentino would actually be up there for me though, and Kevin Smith.
Alex Proyas for The Crow, even though I havent seen his other movies, but The Crow is brilliant. I guess James Cameron too.

TheUnholyNightbringer
07-11-2006, 03:54 PM

Every time I look at this thread that's what I read. Every time.

JohnnyNemesis
07-11-2006, 03:55 PM
Every time I look at this thread that's what I read. Every time.

Same here .

H1T_That
07-11-2006, 03:59 PM
why are there so many votes for tarantino.....he's shite.

0r4ng3
07-11-2006, 04:05 PM
Every movie he's made has been worse than the one before. He started off pretty good but it's just gone downhill from there.
I always thought the same thing. I liked The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, but I didn't like any of the others I've seen, and I heard "The Village" was stupid.

I don't have a favorite director, because I'm not a big movie fan.

Edit: Damn you all, now I'm seeing the thread as "favorite dictator".

H1T_That
07-11-2006, 04:06 PM
I always thought the same thing. I liked The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, but I didn't like any of the others I've seen, and I heard "The Village" was stupid.

I don't have a favorite director, because I'm not a big movie fan.

the village was kind of a good idea, but the movie just sucked.

Paint_It_Black
07-11-2006, 05:28 PM

Hahaha, oh my god. Until you said that I thought it was Per immitating a retard. Oh dear god that's amusing.

John Carpenter.

He's made some greats, such as Halloween (best slasher flick ever) and the remake of The Thing. But he's had his fair share of crap too.

You're not just an amazing pirate, you're also completely right.

I think it's been done. Possibly by Justin.

I guess Tarentino would actually be up there for me though, and Kevin Smith.
Alex Proyas for The Crow, even though I havent seen his other movies, but The Crow is brilliant. I guess James Cameron too.

I like you now.

It's so hard to pick a favourite, but right now I'd maybe say James Cameron. Mainly because of Terminator (the first one) and Aliens.

Edit: I love Kevin Smith, but not really for his directing at all.

H1T_That
07-11-2006, 05:36 PM
He's made some greats, such as Halloween (best slasher flick ever) and the remake of The Thing. But he's had his fair share of crap too.

escape from New York and escape from LA are two awesome movies
too.

Paint_It_Black
07-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about Escape From New York. I loved that when I was a kid. Haven't seen it in forever though, and never saw the sequel funnily enough. I quite enjoy Vampires too, even though it's not exactly good.

H1T_That
07-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about Escape From New York. I loved that when I was a kid. Haven't seen it in forever though, and never saw the sequel funnily enough. I quite enjoy Vampires too, even though it's not exactly good.

i first saw vampires a few years ago and fell in love with it, however it was on UKTV gold the other night, and the poor one liners and shitty storyline left me thinking, WTF??

still, its better than alot of vampire films kicking about.

Paint_It_Black
07-11-2006, 05:47 PM
still, its better than alot of vampire films kicking about.

It certainly is, and there's nothing wrong with sometimes loving a movie even though you actually know it's not that good.

H1T_That
07-11-2006, 05:49 PM
It certainly is, and there's nothing wrong with sometimes loving a movie even though you actually know it's not that good.

yeah, like the fast and the furious movies. They are TERRIBLE!, yet i watch them time and again.

out of interest, whats your take on 'the lost boys'. IMO its the best vampire movie ever made, and has the best soundtrack ive heard.

Paint_It_Black
07-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Oh, I fucking love Lost Boys. Yes, the soudtrack is excellent. I must have watched that a hundred times when I was a kid. Great movie. It probably is the best vampire movie, out of all the semi-comedic ones. Interview With The Vampire is probably the best serious one, from what I remember.

H1T_That
07-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Oh, I fucking love Lost Boys. Yes, the soudtrack is excellent. I must have watched that a hundred times when I was a kid. Great movie. It probably is the best vampire movie, out of all the semi-comedic ones. Interview With The Vampire is probably the best serious one, from what I remember.

i could never really get into Interview With The Vampire, i dunno...probably the fact all other vampire movies i'd seen previous had a vampire hunter and action etc..

mrconeman
07-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Both Interveiw... and Lost Boys are pretty much my favourite vampire films.
Great actors and portrayals in both films.
Interview with the vampire is one of my all time favourite movies though, so it wins out I think.

BREAK
07-11-2006, 07:04 PM
Alfred Hitchcock
Billy Wilder
John Ford
Stanley Kubrick
Charles Laughton (yeah, whatever)

Betty
07-11-2006, 07:55 PM
The only directors I've seen a bunch of movies I enjoy by, and actually realize they're by such and such a director are Tarantino, Kubrick, Kevin Smith, and recently David Lynch (thanks to Ryan!!)

nieh
07-11-2006, 08:00 PM
David Lynch

I've actually been wanting to check him out. What's a good place to start?

Dive
07-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Bergman. Godard isn't far behind, though.

Endymion
07-11-2006, 08:36 PM
mine's definitely lynch (thanks michelle!)

josh, maybe start with blue velvet. mulholland dr. is my favorite, though. eraserhead is very good. cage makes wild at heart almost unbearable. twin peaks is always fun. some of his shorts are worth seeing, same with his rabbits net tv show thing.

and dune doesn't count.

Sin Studly
07-11-2006, 08:37 PM

Taking an arts course for pretentious idiots, drinking pinot grigio by the glass at a student bar, cultivating a stupid 'hipster' haircut, and wearing nothing but black.

Betty
07-11-2006, 10:29 PM

Well, the first thing I watched was Eraserhead, which is definitely quite the experience - a huge cult classic. So it's definitely not the safest place to start, but if you wanna just jump right in, I really enjoyed the watch. The only warning I can give is that there's no plot.

the_GoDdEsS
07-12-2006, 02:27 AM
As for the locals, I've always liked things done by Juraj Jakubisko.

And I don't particularly care much about directors. As long as the movie's fun.

Rocky-girl
07-12-2006, 03:59 AM
I couldn't find my favourite direcor, who is known to all world, like Simona, I can name you only local, I think my favourite is Todorovskii.

noodlesfan
07-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Lucifer Valentine, the man responsible behind this masterpiece.

http://www.slaughteredvomitdolls.com/trailer.html

Not Ozymandias
07-12-2006, 10:48 PM
The correct answer is Akira Kurosawa. Hitchcock and Gus Van Sant take the Silver and Bronze.

Anyone old enough to legally drink who still likes Tarantino or Kevin Smith should be sterilized.

Betty
07-13-2006, 08:22 AM
I looked 'em up and I don't know if I've seen a single movie by any of the above. Even Good Will Hunting I haven't seen.

I'd really like to get more into "good" film, but I honestly just don't have the time.

Harnum
07-13-2006, 08:41 AM
why don't we have an answer yet? :confused:

BREAK
07-13-2006, 09:13 AM
Gus Van Sant

If Last Days hadn't disappointed me so much, he would've been on my list for shiz.

0r4ng3
07-13-2006, 12:05 PM
No one's mentioned Uwe Boll?

*dodges tomato*

Not Ozymandias
07-13-2006, 12:31 PM
No one's mentioned Uwe Boll?

*dodges tomato*
Pfft, Paul W.S. Anderson could out-hack him any day of the week.

noodlesfan
07-13-2006, 12:32 PM
Pfft, Paul W.S. Anderson could out-hack him any day of the week.
Lucifer Valentine can beat both of them by making a vomit moat and using satan's army as a living(dead) shield.