PDA

View Full Version : Lyrics.

0r4ng3
07-13-2006, 08:35 AM
Whenever I judge a song, I usually listen only to how it sounds, where lyrics make little difference to me. Sometimes, the words don't change how much I like a song, usually when I can't even hear/understand them. I really only care about how well a song sounds, lyrics sometimes come second. Ok, I think I'm starting to repeat myself.

My question to you all is, how much do lyrics mean to you when judging how good a song is?

Nineteen Seventy Nine
07-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Lyrics, no big deal. I'd rather have a song that sounds good, with bad lyrics than a song that you can't stand with beautiful words.

However I do hate it when bands really have something going for them, but don't put much effort into the meanings of their songs.

killer_queen
07-13-2006, 08:46 AM
I never pay attention to the lyrics. Except when I'm too curious about them. Music is the only important thing for me, lyrics can't change my opinion about the song.

JoY
07-13-2006, 09:10 AM
sucky lyrics can be a major turn off for me.

when making a song that sounds good, you need a good band for a start that forms a unity, possibly good musicians, a good melody, good vocals (very important if you ask me) & lyrics that weren't scraped out of Lionel Richie's bin with "bad ideas for songs".

honest to god, how can "I want you, baby, because you rule and I'm a sucker for people who rule and you are awesome and smell good too" (for instance) EVER sound good? no matter what fucking tune you put under it.

if I listen to a song, I don't immediately pay a lot of attention to the lyrics at first. but there WILL be a moment I'll look further into the song as I hear it more often & if the lyrics happen to truly fucking suck.. well, I'm sorry, but that's a single trip to my trashcan.

BREAK
07-13-2006, 09:17 AM
I <3 bad lyrics.

mrconeman
07-13-2006, 09:34 AM
Lyrics can definatly make or break a song for me. If the musicality of the track is really good but theres sucky lyrics over the top it really will bug me and turn me off to the song.
And the other way around, if the music is sub-par and the lyrics are great I can really get into it, its like with Bob Dylan, or Bob Marley songs, their tracks arent exactly musical technique at its finest, I listen to them for the voice and Lyrics and overall atmosphere.

One way it wont work however, if the Lyrics are amazing, but I feel the music is out and out crap, I wont like the song.

nieh
07-13-2006, 10:19 AM
So long as the lyrics aren't especially good or horrendously bad I don't normally notice them too much but there are definite instances where bad lyrics can destroy an otherwise good song or where they can make a great song even better. Slow Dance by Unwritten Law and The Other Side by Dismemberment Plan come to mind off the top of my head.

Yatesy
07-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Lyrics aren't that important to me. They can mean something too me but thats about it, I won't hate a song just because of bad lyrics.

BuddyHolly
07-13-2006, 02:07 PM
lyrics can make a good song great or a bad song even worse...

H1T_That
07-13-2006, 03:43 PM
lyrics are not important at all for me, its more the tempo and tune i look out for. For example, i love Duality by Slipknot for its fast pace and nice riffs. The lyrics suck major dick.

however, there are certain songs i love purely for thier lyrics that i may not like as much if the lyrics were different. An example of this would be Gone Away by The Offspring.

no_way
07-13-2006, 04:32 PM
I prefer and define my favourite songs when lyrics can move me (good lyrics). But I don't care much if a song has bad lyrics, as long as I like the music.

I don't know
07-13-2006, 06:32 PM
lyrics are not that important for me. usually I like one song at first because of how it sounds, not because of the lyrics, however after paying attention to the lyrics I can like more the song if the lyrics are good, so they can make a song gets better.only the lyrics definitely don't make a good song,however a song that sounds good but has shitty lyrics can be good

Short_Attention_Span
07-13-2006, 06:35 PM
I prefer songs to listen to songs with good lyrics and ones that I can relate to. Songs with lyrics that blow, usually make me cringe.
________
Air bag vaporizers (http://vaporizer.org)

Niekaip
07-15-2006, 05:53 AM
If song's lyrics suc.ks, but song sounds good, I don't like it.. I love songs with great lyrics, and music, too.

the_GoDdEsS
07-15-2006, 01:02 PM
Good thread. Finally something different than just discussing bands. Very refreshing.

Naturally music is what I notice first. If I had to choose between what's important, lyrics or the music, I'd go for the latter. Because it's the general feeling or call it vibe I get from the song or the mood it's accurate for. But that does not mean that I can tolerate bad lyrics or overdone lyrics where you see that the artist is just trying too hard to sound all poetic but in the end ruins it. It doesn't have to be always poetic, always express something or always have a message. It just has to mix well with the mood of the song. It's hard to judge. I totally appreciate a good combination of those two though. Something you can relate to and enjoy, musically and lyrically.

original_prankster
07-15-2006, 02:39 PM
Lyrics can sometimes be so incredibly bad they're good. The Casualties are a good example of this. :D

But yeah, lyrics are half of the song to me. If the lyrics are bad, but the music is good, then I probably won't be too fond of it.

Jakebert
07-15-2006, 03:01 PM
Usually bad lyrics don't bug me a whole lot unless they're really annoyingly bad. Worst Hangover Ever, for example, has ok music that while not great is still listenable. But the lyrics are so stupid that I end up skipping over it every time because they make it so much worse.

Lyrics can sometimes be so incredibly bad they're good. The Casualties are a good example of this. :D

No. The Casualties write such bad lyrics that they make me sad to think some kids actually take them seriously.

original_prankster
07-15-2006, 04:08 PM
I find The Casualties to be hilariously bad.

Yeah, the fact that some people take them seriously is rather...disturbing, but they're still a fun band to listen to simply because they suck so much.

That_Guy91
07-15-2006, 04:09 PM
They're like a punk rock Slipknot.

Thomas
07-15-2006, 10:38 PM
They're like a punk rock Slipknot.

haha. Totally sigged!

0r4ng3
07-15-2006, 10:39 PM
haha. Totally sigged!
You should probably put that in context.

Thomas
07-15-2006, 10:43 PM
eh, whatever...