PDA

View Full Version : stuff to think about

neptuneUK
12-18-2004, 11:22 AM
things to think about:

if the sky is blue. what if i see it as green, and you see it as red but we are both taught to call it blue? we wouldnt know that we were seeing in different colours because we both call it the same thing. what if everyone saw colours differently??

-------------------------------------------------
physics. who do these things happen!?
we know about gravity and forces, magnetic fields and things etc... but nobody knows why or how.

how come large objects cause smaller objects to become attracted to them?

why are positively and negatively charged particles attracted to each other?

why do magnets become attracted to each other?

>>>>>wouldnt the movement caused by these scenarios require kinetic energy to occur????

ie. a small rock with no energy is near the earth. later, the same object begins to hurtle towards the earth... where does the energy come from to cause the movement???

is there a reasonable explanation for this or am i right in being confused?
---------------------------------------------
conciousness: what exactly is it? how do you define it? how did it come to be?how can we tell whether an organism possesses it or not?

anyone have anything else to add to things to think about?
does anyone have any answers?

Tijs
12-18-2004, 11:25 AM
if the sky is blue. what if i see it as green, and you see it as red but we are both taught to call it blue? we wouldnt know that we were seeing in different colours because we both call it the same thing. what if everyone saw colours differently??
Oh my, I thought about that a long time ago. haha, my parents went crazy about my question, mainly that one.

the_GoDdEsS
12-18-2004, 11:40 AM
Oh my, I thought about that a long time ago. haha, my parents went crazy about my question, mainly that one.

That one's actually true, I think. It might not be completely different colours. Maybe just different shades and stuff.

The Talking Pie
12-18-2004, 11:42 AM

Read up on John Locke. I believe he dealt with these kinds of issues.

Hysteria
12-18-2004, 11:45 AM
The sky is blue?

Endymion
12-18-2004, 11:46 AM
i'll answer each in turn...

things to think about:

not so, color is due to the eye converting light of particular energies (frequencies--IE color) to electrical pulses (nerves) to the brain.

physics. who do these things happen!?
we know about gravity and forces, magnetic fields and things etc... but nobody knows why or how.

how come large objects cause smaller objects to become attracted to them?

that's not how it works, everything with gravitational inertia (aka mass) attracts everything else with mass. the reason it seems that the larger objects don't move is that the gravitational force on each body is the same for a given situation (ie two bodies), but the mass is different, and the acceleration due to a force is equal to f/m, the force over the objects mass. thus the acceleration for the larger body is less.

why are positively and negatively charged particles attracted to each other?

i'd have to delve into electric fields and force carriers.

why do magnets become attracted to each other?

same as above

>>>>>wouldnt the movement caused by these scenarios require kinetic energy to occur????

ie. a small rock with no energy is near the earth. later, the same object begins to hurtle towards the earth... where does the energy come from to cause the movement???

is there a reasonable explanation for this or am i right in being confused?

it's called potential energy. kinetic energy has never been considered to be conserved, just energy in general. energies are converted between types, usually between potential and kinetic. in your "example" the small rock was in a gravity well, so had a potential related to 1/r, where r is the distance from it to the gravity well's center.

conciousness: what exactly is it? how do you define it? how did it come to be?how can we tell whether an organism possesses it or not?

that's an active area of psychology. i believe crick (of watson and crick) did a lot of research into that in the 80s.

neptuneUK
12-18-2004, 12:05 PM
i rest my case!!

The Talking Pie
12-18-2004, 12:08 PM
not so, color is due to the eye converting light of particular energies (frequencies--IE color) to electrical pulses (nerves) to the brain.

I was going to say something to that effect, but you still have the problem of the brain rendering the information differently. This stems more into psychology and the philosophical issue of Representative Realism moreso than physics.

Endymion
12-18-2004, 03:04 PM
i highly doubt anything like that. color is such an integral element of survival i'm sure evolution did not allow for any sort of arbitrary interpretation of that sort of thing. color blindness is different in that it's a genetic defect.

neptuneUK
12-18-2004, 03:30 PM
explain consciousness???

explain an orgasm. i mean properly. wierd!!

how can pressure being recepted by the nerves cause such an odd reaction to the body?

GBH2
12-18-2004, 06:51 PM
explain religion.
how do we know that any of these "holy" people actually exist?