PDA

View Full Version : A question for you americans...

Jojan
12-18-2004, 12:43 PM
Why is the democrats (http://tubes.ominix.com/art/misc/democrat-donkey-red-white-blue-outline.png) symbol a donkey and the republics (http://tubes.ominix.com/art/misc/republican-elephant-red-white-blue-outline.png) symbol an elephant?

Revolver-2005?
12-18-2004, 01:21 PM
the republicans came from a party called the Federalist, who killed people who opposed thm and made a laughing stock of ne other party. The Democrats came from a party called the Democratic Republicans, who were only looking to stop the Federalist from killing people. Soon the Federalist became Republicans and soon after Dem. Reps. became Democrats. The Republicans gave thm the donkey to say "Look their jack-asses" and it sorta stuck. Although i think Republicans should be donkeys cause they are stubborn and dont like change...and are jack asses...

falconfan
12-18-2004, 01:23 PM
well i wasnt paying attention when my teacher told us.. but it has something do w/ political cartoons from a long time ago and the parties just adopted the image from the cartoon.

Noodles is gay
12-18-2004, 02:10 PM
Damn, i thought the question would be 'Why are you all so fat, and think you rule the world?' :mad:

Idiot me.

Would anyone like to answer that?

Jojan
12-18-2004, 02:30 PM
Read Michel Moore and you'll see. :)

Sexy Panda
12-18-2004, 02:41 PM
the republicans came from a party called the Federalist, who killed people who opposed thm and made a laughing stock of ne other party. The Democrats came from a party called the Democratic Republicans, who were only looking to stop the Federalist from killing people. Soon the Federalist became Republicans and soon after Dem. Reps. became Democrats. The Republicans gave thm the donkey to say "Look their jack-asses" and it sorta stuck. Although i think Republicans should be donkeys cause they are stubborn and dont like change...and are jack asses...

You only answered half the question and the half you answered was BULLSHIT. I award you the grade of F.

wheelchairman
12-18-2004, 02:45 PM
The origin of the Democratic Party lies in the Republican party, founded by Thomas Jefferson 1794.

The donkey comes from a political cartoon from 1870. And has stuck ever since.

The Republican Party was formed in 1854.

The Elephant appears to come from a political cartoon in 1874.

People should be able to find this information themselves. This is the internet, information is everywhere, yet you couldn't find it? How incompetent is that? I found it in 2 sec. by using the well known wikipedia. Learn to find information yourself or remain an idiot forever.

leo3375
12-18-2004, 03:53 PM
Thomas Nast, a political cartoonist in the 19th century, popularized the donkey and elephant in his political cartoons. The donkey was first created in 1828, when President Andrew Jackson's opponents labeled him a "jackass." Instead of feeling insulted, he ran with the description, using the donkey to repesent his stubbornness. The donkey would become the Democratic Party's official symbol in 1870 after appearing in a political cartoon by Nast.

The elephant was popularized as the symbol of the Republican Party after it appeared in a political cartoon by Nast in 1874. While the Democrats viewed the elephant as lumbering, stupid, and pompous, the Republicans interpreted the creature as intelligent, dignified, and strong.

You have Thomas Nast to thank for the Democrat Donkey and the Republican Elephant.

Little_Miss_1565
12-18-2004, 09:34 PM
Damn, i thought the question would be 'Why are you all so fat, and think you rule the world?' :mad:

Idiot me.

Would anyone like to answer that?

I'd say there's 49% of this country that doesn't fit that description. Would you like to clear up for me why Britons are arrogant pricks?

T-6005
12-18-2004, 09:40 PM
They aren't. Not as much as americans, anyways.

Mota Boy
12-18-2004, 10:55 PM

Idiot me.

Would anyone like to answer that?http://www.ncpa.org/iss/hea/2003/pd110403d.html

Yeah, I'd like to answer that: suck my cock, fatass. Not to mention that the UK has been with the US on damn near every major military intervention (from Bosnia to Afghanistan to Iraq) that America has championed within the past decade. So pot, stop calling the kettle black and enlighten yourself about our relative position in the world before you let slip the fact that a Yank knows more about your own damn country than you do.

T-6005
12-18-2004, 11:32 PM
the kettle's not black?

Mota Boy
12-18-2004, 11:48 PM
Have you never heard that expression before in your life or have you just always misinterpreted the meaning? The inherent insinuation is that both are black, but that the one calling the other out on it is being blatantly hypocritical.

Are there any other common idioms that you need explained?

T-6005
12-18-2004, 11:51 PM
a) I actually hadn't heard that expression before
b) stop taking things so seriously.

Mota Boy
12-18-2004, 11:58 PM
a) I accounted for that possibility in my post
b) I'm fairly intoxicated, and thus not taking anything terribly seriously in the least. You, on the other hand, seem to have gotten offended by something that I said online. Plus, you're gay and have an atrocious fashion sense.

T-6005
12-19-2004, 12:03 AM
a) I realized, and was notifying you of the reason for which I had inquired.
b) I need your help... I'm not sure how to break the news to my girlfriend that I'm gay...

Mota Boy
12-19-2004, 12:11 AM
a) good, then we're on the same page
b) hook up with her dad. The rest will follow.
c) there is someone in my dorm...
d) oh, it's just that the girl who passed out on the couch is passed out no longer

T-6005
12-19-2004, 12:33 AM
a) good, then we're on the same page
b) hook up with her dad. The rest will follow.
c) there is someone in my dorm...
d) oh, it's just that the girl who passed out on the couch is passed out no longer

I'm not so hot for her dad. She's amazing though.

Noodles is gay
12-19-2004, 06:12 AM
I'd say there's 49% of this country that doesn't fit that description. Would you like to clear up for me why Britons are arrogant pricks?

Well yes, it's just the 'British way', watch Monty Python's Meaning of life and you'll understand, Yank. Why are Americans so incredibly loud-mouthed and vociferous?

http://www.ncpa.org/iss/hea/2003/pd110403d.html

Yeah, I'd like to answer that: suck my cock, fatass. Not to mention that the UK has been with the US on damn near every major military intervention (from Bosnia to Afghanistan to Iraq) that America has championed within the past decade. So pot, stop calling the kettle black and enlighten yourself about our relative position in the world before you let slip the fact that a Yank knows more about your own damn country than you do.

Dammit, i didn't say that i thought England wasn't fat, read my post again, slowly if need be, yank. You Americans are fatter than us anyway so regardless if England is fat; you're fatter. What Tony Blair does, and what I would do are different things, my friend. America is bigger, you have more money, if we Ďpompous Britsí side with the US we donít get killed. Makes sense really, we use you thatís all. :cool:

Paint_It_Black
12-19-2004, 06:33 AM
"Would you like to clear up for me why Britons are arrogant pricks?"

It's not arrogance, we simply don't engage in false modesty.

On an unrelated note I am still in love with mota boy. As a heterosexual male I am mildly uncomfortable with this.

Who the fuck is this 'noodles is gay' person anyway? I thought I knew at first, but now I know he's a brit I have no idea who he is. Someone let me know if he's one of the old-timers so I know whether to bother reading anything he writes.

I love being elitist.

Noodles is gay
12-19-2004, 06:41 AM
Old timer? Old timer? I'm deeply hurt. Well Iím older than you, but still rather new. It is always worth reading what I write, as I am the person with the [apparent] best grasp of the English language.

Elitist, hummm? Well, mayhap I should only consider people who can understand both ancient Greek and Latin, to be worth my time. :cool:

By the way, I'm a 'she'.

wheelchairman
12-19-2004, 06:49 AM
Well yes, it's just the 'British way', watch Monty Python's Meaning of life and you'll understand, Yank. Why are Americans so incredibly loud-mouthed and vociferous?

Yeah it must be that fake modesty we are seeing here.

Dammit, i didn't say that i thought England wasn't fat, read my post again, slowly if need be, yank. You Americans are fatter than us anyway so regardless if England is fat; you're fatter. What Tony Blair does, and what I would do are different things, my friend. America is bigger, you have more money, if we Ďpompous Britsí side with the US we donít get killed. Makes sense really, we use you thatís all. :cool:
There are parts of England fatter than parts of America, and vice-versa.

Paint_It_Black
12-19-2004, 07:12 AM
"Well Iím older than you, but still rather new."

Huh? Do you even know me?

"Well, mayhap I should only consider people who can understand both ancient Greek and Latin, to be worth my time."

Your choice I suppose.

"By the way, I'm a 'she'."

Dammit, now I'm going to have to be somewhat nice to you, just in case of the remote possibility that I may someday get the chance to fuck you. Damn hormones.

Noodles is gay
12-19-2004, 07:58 AM
No i don't know you, however i had a quick glance at your profile which told me when you joined.

StayInTheHouseCarl
12-19-2004, 09:07 PM
yeah, i just finished a project for AP government ( due tomorrow, haha), and we had to look at bias in the media for like 5 weeks, and write a four page paper supporting how you viewed the bias. for me, time magazine was conservative, newsweek was liberal.
* if anyone else gets this project for school, DONT PROCRASTINATE!! i had to do it today, cuz i did. my crappy b day present to myself. haha.

StayInTheHouseCarl
12-19-2004, 09:08 PM
and no, this post didnt have much to do with this thread... :D

Mota Boy
12-20-2004, 07:23 PM
Dammit, i didn't say that i thought England wasn't fat, read my post again, slowly if need be, yank. You Americans are fatter than us anyway so regardless if England is fat; you're fatter.
I said you were being hypocritical, bright guy, then proved that you were. Don't try to pretend that, just because Britains' enormous asses aren't exactly as gargantuan as Americans', there's a world of difference between the countries obesity rates.

What Tony Blair does, and what I would do are different things, my friend.
There's no easier way to say it: you're a fucking imbicile. You assume that you can use that excuse to weasel out of your hypocrisy when you act as if all Americans are to answer for Dubya's policies?

America is bigger, you have more money, if we Ďpompous Britsí side with the US we donít get killed. Makes sense really, we use you thatís all.
How, exactly, is Britain "using" us? What the hell do you possibly get out of the deal? By siding with the U.S., you're sending troops to Iraq and getting them killed while countries that . You're one of the top ten nations in the world in terms of GNP, don't pretend like you're some poverty-ridden country bandwagoning just to get U.S. aid, it makes you look pathetic.

Honestly, you'd think that you were a U.S. citizen pretending to be a retarded American-basher just to discredit the entire movement.

And Richard - don't be unsettled. It gives me hope that one day I can realize the male fantasy benchmark of successfully pulling a lesbian.

Mota Boy
12-20-2004, 07:24 PM
I'm not so hot for her dad. She's amazing though.

You're in denial.

bouncingcoles
12-20-2004, 07:42 PM
Why is the democrats (http://tubes.ominix.com/art/misc/democrat-donkey-red-white-blue-outline.png) symbol a donkey and the republics (http://tubes.ominix.com/art/misc/republican-elephant-red-white-blue-outline.png) symbol an elephant?

because we like animals.

Noodles is gay
12-21-2004, 07:51 AM
There's no easier way to say it: you're a fucking imbicile. You assume that you can use that excuse to weasel out of your hypocrisy when you act as if all Americans are to answer for Dubya's policies?

At least I can spell imbecile. :D

Hummmm, makes you think.

Idiot.

wheelchairman
12-21-2004, 08:42 AM
At least I can spell imbecile. :D

Hummmm, makes you think.

Idiot.
You've studied greek (and I'm assuming at least some of their philosophy). You should know what a straw-man argument is.

Mota Boy
12-21-2004, 09:02 AM
You managed to call me out on a single spelling/grammar mistake that I made while stoned in order to avoid all of my actual points. If this makes you feel that you've won the debate, then you've got mental deficiencies that can't be rectified by owning a dictionary.

Noodles is gay
12-21-2004, 09:07 AM
You managed to call me out on a single spelling/grammar mistake that I made while stoned in order to avoid all of my actual points. If this makes you feel that you've won the debate, then you've got mental deficiencies that can't be rectified by owning a dictionary.

I wondered which excuse it was going to be; either I was drunk, stoned or typo. Humm, good choice.

Yes, I completely ignored every word you said.

Be careful, I'm sitting here with my dictionary watching every word that everyone writes, just to catch them out.

T-6005
12-21-2004, 09:10 AM
I don't think 1 mistake that doesn't make the statement any less comprehensible detracts from the argument.

If it were like that guy from Ohio... then alright, but still....

Mota Boy
12-21-2004, 10:23 AM
Yes, I completely ignored every word you said.
So you accept that you never had a point to begin with? Smart move for a man without an argument - the first intelligent thing you've done in this thread. Too bad it also comes across as pathetic.

Now write "I will never again get into a debate with Mota Boy unless I know what I'm talking about." fifty times and you can go.

greencows12
12-29-2004, 04:03 PM
Why is the democrats (http://tubes.ominix.com/art/misc/democrat-donkey-red-white-blue-outline.png) symbol a donkey and the republics (http://tubes.ominix.com/art/misc/republican-elephant-red-white-blue-outline.png) symbol
an elephant?
democrats are asses and repulicans are fat asses who like nuts.