PDA

View Full Version : Say It Ain't So

bd007h
07-16-2006, 07:41 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2006-07-13-cuomo_x.htm

Oh well, he's said this many times before, so we'll have to see.

offspring fan
07-16-2006, 07:43 PM
its a sad, sad world we live in.

ninthlayer
07-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Pinkerton was their only decent album.

Jakebert
07-16-2006, 07:53 PM
Meh, it's probably for the best. The Green Album and Maladroit were mediocore at best, and Make Believe was a waste of money.

bd007h
07-16-2006, 07:54 PM
The Blue album was the first cd I ever owned (got it back in 1994) and I still find myself listening to it from time to time. Pinkerton was also great. The rest just went downhill.

ninthlayer
07-16-2006, 07:54 PM
The Blue Album was listenable, but highly overrated.

supervirgin, your lack of any sort of taste in music has already been well established.

Jakebert
07-16-2006, 07:59 PM
The Blue Album was listenable, but highly overrated.

I agree for the most part. I like it, but it's not one of the best albums of the past 25 or whatever years like everyone seems to think. It gets boring after a while, too.

jacknife737
07-16-2006, 08:02 PM
The Blue Album and Make Believe were both decent.

ninthlayer
07-16-2006, 08:04 PM
You're incorrect (not sorry).

Llamas
07-16-2006, 11:04 PM
I enjoy all of weezer's albums. I think that both maladroit and green were severely underrated. Everyone was expecting the same stuff that was on the first two albums... but it was like 6 years later. I really enjoy the green album, moreso than pinkerton.

make believe was hit or miss. some great songs.

noodlesfan
07-17-2006, 07:29 AM
"Really, for the moment, we are done."
This means that he might come back, I say we twist its neck to make sure it's really dead.

bd007h
07-17-2006, 10:40 AM
I say we twist its neck to make sure it's really dead.

How about just twist it enough that they come back and make something better than the last 3 albums.

noodlesfan
07-17-2006, 10:42 AM
How about just twist it enough that they come back and make something better than the last 3 albums.
The easiest way for Weezer to top their last 3 albums is to replace every current member of the band.

veering away from that a little bit,
When I got my Windows 95, Buddy Holly was on there as a sample video.

bd007h
07-17-2006, 10:43 AM
Or they could just go back to their roots

Jakebert
07-17-2006, 11:14 AM
No, that really isn't it. They just had a good line up for their first 2 albums, and since then they've been stumbling around.

pretty fly 88
07-17-2006, 03:19 PM
Man, I was just going to start a thread saying the same thing. My sister just told me this about 20 minutes ago. It is a very sad and unexpected truth. I do not fully understand why they broke up. It doesn't really say in the article. I know Rivers is married and just graduated from Harvard, but there are plenty of other married rock stars. I guess he just wanted a different job where he good use his Harvard degree.

But anyway, about Weezer, I think everybody that likes rock and roll should own their first 2 albums. 95% of all people that have those albums know how awesome they are. Make Believe is a good album too, and I saw them on that tour with the Foo Fighters. They were awesome. The Green is kinda mediocre, though. After the first 3 songs, nothing worth listening to for me. I think "Island In The Sun" is one of the most overrated songs ever.

BuddyHolly
07-17-2006, 04:13 PM
I absolutely love their first 2 albums and I even think The Green Album is great. Maladroit and Make Believe suck though. I think it's a good think they're breaking up before making more terrible records.

nameless
07-17-2006, 04:30 PM
i really like weezer but i always found their albums had 4 or 5 brilliant tracks but you quickly got a bit fed up with the rest! brilliant band i think though!

Kerr
07-17-2006, 05:00 PM
Some time ago I downloaded Green Album and Make Believe - I only kept a couple of tracks from both after a few days.

I might download Pinkerton and maybe Blue Album too. Give those a listen.

Yatesy
07-17-2006, 05:22 PM
I feel like the only person who likes Maladroit. lol Ah well, they made good songs but they were like this before Make Believe. I heard that they were thinking about stopping a while back.

Llamas
07-17-2006, 08:31 PM
I like maladroit. And I get so damn sick of people saying "omg blue is the BEST WEEZER ALBUM EVER!!! you're wrong if you like maladroit!!". I don't care if you love blue... My album order is much different from most people's...
1. green
2. blue and maladroit
3. make believe
4. pinkerton

I'm not saying that a lot of people don't genuinely like blue and pinkerton a ton... but a lot of other people seem to just say that cause that's what's popular. You're ridiculed for saying you like maladroit... when really, it's a nice album. :)

BuddyHolly
07-18-2006, 04:08 PM
I think Pinkerton is their best album

Jakebert
07-18-2006, 08:24 PM
I like maladroit. And I get so damn sick of people saying "omg blue is the BEST WEEZER ALBUM EVER!!! you're wrong if you like maladroit!!". I don't care if you love blue... My album order is much different from most people's...

I'm not saying that a lot of people don't genuinely like blue and pinkerton a ton... but a lot of other people seem to just say that cause that's what's popular. You're ridiculed for saying you like maladroit... when really, it's a nice album. :)

Weezer fans don't like Maladroit, Make Believe, and Green because they're incredibly half-assed albums compared to the first 2. Green and Maladroit have some decent songs, but there's nothing that sticks out at all. Make Believe is just shit.

The reason most people favor Pinkerton isn't because it's cool to do so. But because it's a very well-written, unique album and is one of the few mainstream alternative rock albums from that era (well, any era really) to have any actual geniune emotion behind it.

Llamas
07-19-2006, 12:10 AM
the blue album, however, was incredibly overrated.

Jakebert
07-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Yeah, but the reason it got overrated in the first place is because it's a good album.

Andy
07-22-2006, 04:59 AM
Like a faithful old sheep dog, Weezer were becoming old and a little lame and needed the shotgun. I think it's for the best.

bd007h
08-05-2006, 09:42 PM
On wikipedia someone posted an message Rivers posted on his blog stating that Weezer is still intact and MTV took a few things he said the wrong way and made it sound like they were breaking up:

Rivers later edited his 'Clarifications, Corrections, and Supplemental Materials' blog to include this statement about the MTV interview:

"MTV.com: 'I certainly don't see them becoming Weezer songs.' This is a misquote. The writer unfortunately didn't record my words exactly but rather paraphrased them according to his understanding--and sometimes misunderstanding. In this particular case, what I meant was that the soccer song, 'Our Time will Come', certainly won't be on a Weezer album. The verses are about particular players and situations in US Soccer history and wouldn't be appropriate for that purpose. I imagine it would be recorded by Weezer and given directly to the soccer federation. The rest of the songs, though, are definite contenders for a Weezer record."

Rivers later replaced this response with another, which cleared up more issues about the article:

Mtv.com: There are many instances in this article where the writer repressed my positive statements and highlighted anything that could be taken in a negative way. Additionally, he was able to manipulate my words to support his argument because he didn't record the interview but rather paraphrased my words according to his understanding In one instance, he blatantly misquoted me. When I told him that the soccer song, "Our Time will Come", certainly won't be on a Weezer album, he reported that "I certainly don't see [any of my new songs] becoming Weezer songs." This statement gives the false impression that none of my energies have been devoted to a potential Weezer album and that no progress has been made. The fact is that all of the new songs, except the soccer song, are definite contenders for a Weezer album. It's also unfortunate that the writer portrayed the current state of the band's interpersonal relations in such a negative light. I told him that Pat and I were closer than ever, chatting every couple of days on Skype, even while I was on my honeymoon. The writer reported this as "He's not exactly speaking to them every day." Clearly, the writer wanted to imply that Weezer was breaking up, which is not true, and which is not at all what I was trying to say in this interview. That being said, I think I went into the interview with a very subtle negative attitude, a desire to make a strong statement that no one can expect any work from me right now, and a desire to seem odd for being so detached from my career. I think the writer picked up on that attitude and magnified it. The mainstream press (cnn.com, etc.) then focused only on that magnified bit and the whole thing snowballed out of control while I was at the Vipassana course, unable to reply. I therefore would like to apologize to my band, my associates, and Weezer's fans for the part that I played in this distressing article. I'm sorry that I used the interview to express my frustration with being asked to work, and that I drew attention to my relative detachment. Next time I'll try to deal with my issues more directly and use my valuable interview space for spreading mirth and good cheer. As the Lutherans say, "Peace Be With You". Rivdog, "The Dawg-meister"

Jakebert
08-05-2006, 11:07 PM
I was kind of hoping they were done, so this kind of disappoints me. They haven't made a truely good album since Pinkerton, and I don't see them making anything that good again considering that they've had 3 chances and failed miserably on 2 of them, and barely made an average album with the other.

bd007h
08-07-2006, 03:51 PM
Yeah. Oh well. I think mediocre weezer is better than no weezer.