PDA

View Full Version : The Shaw

Thomas
07-16-2006, 11:05 PM
I finally got some somgs up where I am actually drumming (I joined the band after they wrote a bunch of songs and the former drummer is now singing). The recordings are kinda bad and the vocals needed work at the time (but they've gotten much better since then), but you get the basic idea. Also keep in mind that we were tired so there are mistakes everywhere. Tell me what you think! (And I know we already sound exactly like Blink-182, so shut up).

http://www.myspace.com/theshawband

H1T_That
07-17-2006, 06:02 AM
not bad.

10 characters

Thomas
07-18-2006, 08:00 PM
Hey, um, feedback would be much appreciated, whether it's positive or negative. I just want to know what you all think of this. Please.
*puppy eyes*

coke_a_holic
07-18-2006, 08:31 PM
Not my kind of music. At all.

uh, that's basically all I have to say.

JoY
07-19-2006, 02:33 AM
The Shaw, LAWL! Shawified to the max.

noodlesfan
07-19-2006, 08:03 AM
I'll give more feedback when I don't have a seisure when I open the page.

Jebus
07-28-2006, 02:55 PM
There isn't much to say. You pretty much summed it up yourself. You're a perfect blink copycat band. Even though you said not to mention the blink thing, how could we not? When I listen to your music, all I could think is "Blink 182," not "The Shaw". Being in a band might be fun and all, but if you're gonna create this type of music, then why bother? Still, those songs would make good blink songs.

so yeah...not my thing at all.

Thomas
07-28-2006, 05:25 PM
I know what you mean. Since I joined, though, I think we are gonna start taking our music in a new direction. Maybe even with a little bit of Nirvana/ACDC/Black Sabbath influence. I've already heard it in some other songs we have written. The songs we have up aren't our best, but they happened to be the only songs for which we got a fairly decent recording. Everything else came out to be crap. Next time we record (and with the intentions of recording this time), I'll show you guys what I mean. We do suck, I'll admit, but we are getting better realy fast.

barangatang
07-28-2006, 05:32 PM
You guys do really suck. It doesn't seem as though the music wasn't written terribly, like at least its not just the same powerchords played over and over again.

Thomas
07-28-2006, 05:39 PM
Um, maybe instead of just saying we suck, you could say we suck and give me some more feedback and suggestions?

That_Guy91
07-28-2006, 05:56 PM
Black Sabbath, you say? Looking forward to that. As for suggestions, I can only say what's already been said. You sound too much like Blink-182. Try to force the rest of the band to listen to more Offspring or something.

Thomas
07-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Black Sabbath, you say? Looking forward to that. As for suggestions, I can only say what's already been said. You sound too much like Blink-182. Try to force the rest of the band to listen to more Offspring or something.

haha. I've tried. =P

Oh, and the reason we sound exactly like Blink-182 is because 4 of our band members are completely rabid Blink fans. I like them, but not to this extent. I'm gonna try expanding our horizons, but it'll have to be much later. We already have about 17 or 18 songs done and we are gonna use most of them for our first album. After that, though, expect a lot more diversity.

Thomas
07-29-2006, 08:04 PM
How about this: At least tell me what you thought of the drumming. That was the only part I had control over, they wrote everything else on the songs. Feedback/constructive criticism/advice is very much welcome. It's the only reason I posted us here, actually.

MaF
07-30-2006, 12:33 PM
not bad, very...ahem...forget the word....sencitive! grabs the soul or that thing in my chest...but not so hard :D

I Make SweetLove 2Nirvana
07-30-2006, 02:34 PM
good i like. drumming relly good in summer 130 or w/e

jacknife737
07-30-2006, 08:50 PM
How did you get Tom Delong to joing your band?

Edit: My location has nothing to do with this band.

Oh, and a suggestion, the drums could be more energetic.

Thomas
08-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Yeah, those recordings are basically crap. Some of our worst songs are on there and the only good ones are bad recordings. When we get some good recordings of better songs, I'll let you all know. And the drum parts have changed a lot, too, btw. I even threw in a Neil Peart beat in one of them.

And don't even compare our singer to Tom Delonge. Our snger is way better, we just recorded those on a bad day during one of our practices. We didn't even intend on recording until a few minutes before we recorded them and we were all tired (thus the major suckage).

Yeah, I know I'm making excuses for our bad sound, but I'm being serious. We have gotten better since then and even at the time we were better than those recordings.

good i like. drumming relly good in summer 130 or w/e

Are all Nirvana fans as retarded as you?

I Make SweetLove 2Nirvana
08-04-2006, 09:05 PM
Are all Nirvana fans as retarded as you?

r all dumbass's as dumbass as u ???!!! u fuck

Thomas
08-04-2006, 09:09 PM
r all dumbass's as dumbass as u ???!!! u fuck

You aren't helping your case much.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
08-04-2006, 09:11 PM
I'm threatened to sig that.

Anyway, your band isn't bad at all. The sound is fine and the music is well played. It is nice your band really sounds like their biggest influences. If you could get your friends to be influenced by Zep or the Beatles, you might have something golden. Still, good job.

Edit: you beat me to it

Thomas
08-04-2006, 09:15 PM
haha. Thanks. I'm trying to open up our horizons, but our frontman/lead singer is too much into bands like Blink-182 and Sum 41 that he's not even willing to try anything else. It's a hopeless cause. But hey, at least if you sound EXACTLY like Blink-182, you get some kickass drum parts (which aren't on the demos because I had been with the band for about 3 days when we recorded that).

Nineteen Seventy Nine
08-04-2006, 09:20 PM
Well now that Blink's dead, just keep doing the same thing, wait about ten years, and you will get signed because you'd be bringing back some popular pop-rock from the late 90's. And I can't wait for those sweet drum parts.

Thomas
08-04-2006, 09:27 PM
haha. Except I don't intend on having this band as my main focus in ten years. I want a real hard rock band. These guys are mostly just something to get me started and to get me used to working with a rock band. Of course, i wouldn't complain if we got big, but I just don't see it happening.

Here is a slight example of a beat I am especially proud of. I don't know which song to put this in, but it has to be really REALLY fast and in 12/8 time:

sd|ooooooo--o--|ooooooo--o--|oooooooooooo--o--|ooooooo--o--|
t1|-------o----|-------o----|------------o----|-------o----|
t2|--------o-o-|--------o-o-|-------------o-o-|--------o-o-|
t3|-----------o|-----------o|----------------o|-----------o|

Chev_Am
08-08-2006, 02:58 PM
I havn't really heard anything in your band that really stands out from any other pop/punk band. You sound exactly like Blink-182, the instruments go together well, but most of the riffs and beats sound generic and simple. Maybe you could try experimenting with other styles. I'm not saying you suck, you should just try some new styles. That's just my opinion.

Thomas
08-09-2006, 09:21 AM
Okay, there are four songs, Emoless, Permiscuous, Thank You, and Mexican Water, that would completely change your opinion on us. I'll try to convince the rest of the band to record them when we practice tomorrow. Emoless is much MUCH more energetic than the other ones we have up and most of it sounds a lot like AC/DC, Permiscuous (I'm even sure if I spelled that right) is a Ted Nugent/Kenny Wayne Shephard-esque hard hard rock song (even thought I bet no one else in the band even knows who they are except for that Goldfinger song, "Fuck Ted Nugent"), Thank You is actually pretty punk (with a lot of pop influence, obviously), and Mexican Water is, well, Mexican Water. It's very energetic (and the drum part is completely insane). I'm definitely gonna make them record it tomorrow. We need better songs on our Myspace.

Thomas
08-09-2006, 07:50 PM
Roger Willco.

Jebus
09-20-2006, 05:32 PM
Your band suddenly popped into my head. I've been wondering when you're gonna put up these new songs you were talking about. They seem interesting from your description.

and I relistened some of the songs already up. The drumming is actually quite good.

Thomas
09-20-2006, 06:14 PM
Thanks. And for some reason, our song "The Truth" has a lot more power whenever we play it, so those recordings are basically crap. And to be honest, I am actually a bit ashamed of the drumming in those songs because I have changed a lot of the beats (I had been in the band for 3 days when those were recorded) and they are much better now.

Oh, and recently we wrote these two other songs that are actually fairly hard rock, which means that I went all Danny Carey with my double bass pedals, so those are gonna be sweet. The drum part for one of the bridges is insane, and I can't believe they are making me play it. X_X

T= floor tom
R= ride cymbal
S= snare
H= high tom
M= middle tome

T:|ooo-----ooo-----|ooo-----ooo-----|
R:|----xxx-----xxx-|----xxx-----xxx-|
S:|o-------o-------|o-------o-------|
H:|---o-------o----|---o-------o----|
M:|------o-------o-|------o-------o-|

It makes sense when I play it, I swear.

T-6005
09-23-2006, 11:13 AM
(And I know we already sound exactly like Blink-182, so shut up).

Holy shit, you're actually right - but that your singer's fault, honestly.

Thomas
09-24-2006, 05:08 PM
That and he does about 95% of all the songwriting...

Thomas
12-04-2006, 08:47 PM
We have some new recordings. They came out grainy, but I am still very proud of the way we played them. Tell me what you think. Even if you don't like our particular style of music, at least tell me what you think of the drumming, because I'm very proud of that.

http://www.bebo.com/grp/Grp.jsp?MID=367137231&GrpTypeCd=BD&GrpId=2628412216

Apathy
12-05-2006, 07:16 AM
As You and others have said, you're are exactly like blink.
Even down to the fact that the drummer is the only talented musician in the band.

With that being said, some blink is alright. But I didn't like this much. Drumming is nice though. Sounds a little dirty, but I think it's mostly the recording.

Apathy
12-13-2006, 08:17 PM
Bump.

I was listening through some of your songs a little more in depth and I have some more comments.

1: The song 'Mexican Water' I like a lot. Problem is, the recording sounds awful when the song gets louder. The bass is fun in the beginning of the song, singer gets a bit iffy in some parts. I'm not a big fan of the guitar solo, but other than that, I love it.

2: Hahahahahahah @ your singers voice on 'Thank You'. Tell him to actually try singing. It sounds like he's trying too hard to get that nasally high pitch and its not working very well. His voice cracks terribly in the very beginning of the recording when he says the word "you".

3: Somewhat generic, but it is still a very enjoyable song. There's not really many flaws other than the fact that it's a little long for just being a simple pop-punk song, it got a little boring after about three minutes. Only real problem with it, is that the singers voice gets really quiet somewhere in the first verse. Im not sure if it was intentional or not, but you should fix it.

4. 'Wood Burns to Ash' has got to be the most complete and solid song out of the ones you've got on your site. The lyrics are somewhat cliche and it basically sounds like a blink cover song. If this doesn't bother you though, it's a wonderful song. the drumming at the very beginning of this song is spectacular, the cymbals towards the very end get a little annoying though.

5. I take it back - Unstable is your most complete and solid song. Your recording gets really iffy and rough sounding in spots, but other than that there is nothing I don't like about this song. The usually somewhat annoying singer fits perfectly into this song. Your drumming also matches the song flawlessly, this is probably my favorite out of the bunch of songs.
Hell - I want to download this one but it's not on your myspace. Anywhere else you have it?

Thomas
12-13-2006, 08:59 PM
I would give you all of the songs we recorded, but I don't even have them myself. I think we are gonna find an actual studio to record in soon so we should have good recordings of ALL of our songs (we couldn't play some of my favorites because the lyrics were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too bad to be played in a church, where we recorded these). So yeah, I'll keep you informed on everything we do and once I get ahold of all of our recordings, I'll send them to you.

Wait, was #3 Denial? I remember some vocal parts in that song got screwed up in the recording.

And as for Mexican Water, I was most dissappointed with that song's recording qualioty. You can't hear it, but the only time I play a steady beat is the chorus and the bridge. The rest of the song is just my shoving in fills everywhere and I really get to show off there. I actually even stole Neil Peart's infamous ride bell attern for the chorus of that one, too.

Oh, and our lead guitarist, believe it or not, is amazing. One of the songs that we have has an amazing solo of his. Unfortunately, the song is about getting a girl drunk and taking her home, so we couldn't record it in a church. It's not even a punk song, too. It's kinda hard rock/grunge/almost metal-ish. So yeah, enough blabbering on my part, I'll just upload any new material we get (which might be an entire live performance if we can get our guitar player's videocamera to upload to his computer).

Apathy
12-14-2006, 01:14 PM
Yes, I meant Denail. I forgot to mention that, sorry.

Thomas
01-19-2007, 11:29 PM
Just as an update, we've recently gone into the studio. We were planning on releasing a 5-track demo. A few guitar and bass tracks and all the vocal tracks need to be recorded, but what we have so far is sounding great. Tonight, though, we won our school's Battle of the Bands (against The Montazh (http://www.myspace.com/tucsonthemontazh ), Shirts vs. Skins (http://www.myspace.com/shirtsvsskinsmusic), The Skalds (http://www.myspace.com/theskalds), Evil Fudd (http://www.myspace.com/evilfudd), and Kool Shades (http://www.myspace.com/koolshades)) and we won free studio time to record 4 songs professionally. We are most likely going to use all of these tracks and create a new album, which is absolutely amazing. I'll probably have a video or two of our performance soon as well to share with you all.

btw, check out Kool Shades. I was absolutely stunned that we beat them. They are incredible.

Thomas
01-28-2007, 11:21 AM
LIVE VIDEOS!!!!

Thank You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eJRkArd8GA

Emo-less
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wOYJwo_FSo

Denial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX01RjpXN_0

More to come!

:D

JoY
01-28-2007, 11:52 AM
The Shaw, LAWL! Shawified to the max.

did no one get this? or did no one find it as funny as I did?

Thomas
01-28-2007, 03:38 PM
It would be the ladder.

*latter

Don't talk in my threads, retard

JoY
01-28-2007, 04:19 PM
ZagmenO, you'd be the last person on EARTH to know what I was talking about.

& if you don't sign yourself up for some anger management, I'm seriously going to have to consider to delete your ass out of here. because in this forum I am not going to tolerate any useless shit, that isn't constructive for the few users that visit it as it is. those few users come here with great enthousiasm, seeking &/or giving suggestions, critique & feedback, taking the time to listen to other people's work &/or volutarily letting others listen to their best attempts at creativity/music.

JoY
01-28-2007, 04:59 PM
this:

FUCK YOU!!!

I'll talk in whatever thread I wanna talk in, retard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

doesn't exactly appear to be calm.
caps & exclamation marks overdose.

aside from that, I just don't want your junk here. not if it has to be this kind.

JoY
01-28-2007, 05:09 PM
at least you learned how to spell "latter", didn't you?

& it started with you making a retarded comment in my direction in Thomas' thread.

JoY
01-28-2007, 05:13 PM
the second option was only for people who DID get it. if you don't get a joke, it's bound not to sound funny to you. jesus. in anyone's direction your comment would've been retarded, now stop spamming this goddamn topic.

Thomas
01-29-2007, 05:22 PM
Fine. Oh, and by the way, Tommy. Atom's the best drummer ever.

LOL it pisses him off when I say that.

I'm a better drummer than Atom. I don't need to prove that to you. Now shut up and stop spamming.

And since it seems like no one saw it before...

LIVE VIDEOS!!!!

Thank You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eJRkArd8GA

Emo-less
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wOYJwo_FSo

Denial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX01RjpXN_0

More to come!

:D

Original prankstA
01-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Eat shit.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/blogagog/polished-turd.jpg

judging by your new avatar and user title you like shit quite a bit, don't you?

punkrock
01-30-2007, 08:17 AM
Your music is pretty cool, maybe also coz i listen to blink... I dont like very much the singer, he has a voice like Tom when he started but he should have a better voice...

RickyCrack
01-30-2007, 10:28 AM
A joke that's not funny.

That_Guy91
01-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Too sophomoric for you, too?

Congratulations on finding your thesaurus.

Original prankstA
01-30-2007, 06:17 PM
It's a joke.

again not getting the 'casm

Thomas
01-30-2007, 07:50 PM
Sarcasm, you tard.

Thomas
02-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Another video! Yay! I'm very proud of my drum part in this song. I also had a nice in this song. Please tell me what you think.

Mexican Water
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1EBBlVYeuA