PDA

View Full Version : So tired

nieh
07-17-2006, 07:27 AM
I haven't fallen asleep before 2am since Thursday. I know that's normal for a lot of you but I'm used to going to bed at 11-12ish so it's hitting me pretty bad right now. Last night I went to bed at 12 and still didn't fall asleep for 2 hours (probably because I crashed for like 45 minutes earlier in the day). Blah.

noodlesfan
07-17-2006, 07:34 AM
Go to the store, and buy some NyQuil.
Stay up for one whole night with some coffee and the next night, you'll be able to fall asleep fast and early so you can get back on schedule.

JohnnyNemesis
07-17-2006, 07:36 AM
Yeah, I'd agree with the second half of noodlesfan's post. To get back on schedule, I often just tough it out and stay up no matter how tired I am, so that I can really fall asleep at a reasonable hour the next night.

I don't drink coffee ever ever ever though, so it's extremely difficult for me to pull off.

Little_Miss_1565
07-17-2006, 07:57 AM
I'm a big fan of Benadryl--take two of those and you will pass the fuck out when you want to. NyQuil makes me jittery and unable to sleep. Go figure.

JohnnyNemesis
07-17-2006, 07:58 AM
NyQuil has a weird effect on me too, lady. It makes me fall into a deep, but really uncomfortable and sweaty sleep, and I always wake up overly groggy instead of just the normal groggy feeling. No good.

noodlesfan
07-17-2006, 08:00 AM
pfft, you two just aren't taking enough at once.

the_GoDdEsS
07-17-2006, 08:01 AM
Wake up earlier. I'm highly fortunate to be able to fall asleep at 10pm these days, but I also wake up early on the other hand. I could only rarely fall asleep before 1am because that was my usual pattern for years.

0r4ng3
07-17-2006, 08:02 AM
NyQuil has a weird effect on me too, lady. It makes me fall into a deep, but really uncomfortable and sweaty sleep, and I always wake up overly groggy instead of just the normal groggy feeling. No good.
That's usually how all of my mid-day naps feel. I always wake up sick, too.

Oh, how I loathe sleep.

Little_Miss_1565
07-17-2006, 08:07 AM
Oh, how I loathe sleep.

Altogther, I've been unable to sleep for a year, possibly two years of my life. Sleep is precious and I love it. LOVE IT. SO MUCH DO I LOVE.

noodlesfan
07-17-2006, 08:08 AM
I've been only sleeping every other day lately.

Nina
07-17-2006, 08:10 AM
I'm the same, Josh. I need 8 hours of sleep if I go to bed between 10 and 11pm, but if I go to sleep later I'll feel tired even after 8 hours.
And lately I couldnt fall asleep at all. A question: Do you go to college / work? If you do neither at the moment (and are on vacation), this could be the reason. I know it's mine.

Sunny
07-17-2006, 08:19 AM

sweaty & groggy.. yes. i do like dayquil though. =p

and tylenol PM ftw.. if you need to fix your sleep patterns.

noodlesfan
07-17-2006, 08:22 AM
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/4/15/103358/720
Try this one out.

Rag Doll
07-17-2006, 08:22 AM
I agree with Sunny....take Tylenol PM. You'd prolly only need to take 1 since you don't take a lot of pills. Take it like an hour before you want to go to sleep and you should sleep fine.

*huggles* poor Joshy.

nieh
07-17-2006, 08:30 AM
Wake up earlier. I'm highly fortunate to be able to fall asleep at 10pm these days, but I also wake up early on the other hand. I could only rarely fall asleep before 1am because that was my usual pattern for years.

I wake up at 6:40 during the week for work and even on weekends I naturally wake up at like 9-10am. Sometimes I'll manage to fall back asleep but that's not something I can count on.

1565 - Benadryl doesn't work for me. It DOES make me drop almost instantly, but it's normally for like 15-20 minutes at a time at first and I end up waking up not feeling like I slept.

Also, staying up all night doesn't always help. After it becomes light again, my body kind of kicks into overdrive and won't let me fall back to sleep. That sometimes last into the night and keep me up.

Mota Boy
07-17-2006, 09:22 AM
I've been increadibly tired these past few weeks. The problem? I've been going to bed at eleven or midnight and waking up at seven thirty, getting a full night's sleep.

This past weekend my roommate was away and I ended up staying up late and waking up early, from Thursday night to Sunday night I probably averaging four hours a night, if that, and I've been feeling great. I really, really don't know what the fuck is up with my body. For years it keeps giving me the message that it functions fine on four hours of sleep a night, but I still can't trust the bugger.

I'd suggest getting exercise at some point during the day, eating a fairly early-ish dinner and then, before bed, doing something quiet like reading or work for an hour or so. Good luck.

killer_queen
07-17-2006, 10:07 AM
Sleeping well is more important than sleeping long enough. You should be sure that you really rested. Try to go to bed very late and wake up very early. And then go to bed a little earlier and wake up a little more late ever day by day. It worked for me.

Tizzalicious
07-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Back when I studied, I'd never really be able to sleep for very long on sunday nights. And that would fuck with my pattern pretty badly. Eventually I just stopped sleeping on sunday nights so that I could get plenty of normal sleep the rest of the week.

- WCM

Rocky-girl
07-17-2006, 10:37 AM
I havesuch days. Once I had slept only 7 hours in 3 days( that was hard. I rthnk everybody has such day, but we have nothing exept waiting that will over.

Tizzalicious
07-17-2006, 10:44 AM
I know all about being tired, lately I've been going to bed around 8.00, because I wake up at 5.00 am every morning, and I'm just too dead when I go to sleep later. It seemed to have fixed itself a bit now though, I don't wake up that early anymore, so I can sleep a little later. I'm still dead tired all the time though, but that has probably something to do with other health-issues I've been having. It's annoying though, sometimes I wish I could sleep for a week straight and finally feel energetic when waking up.

Nina
07-17-2006, 10:48 AM
At first I thought Per was speaking, that was confusing.

Another thing I was wondering... I never understood the concept of taking little pills to feel better about most things. When you are in absolute pain it is understandable, but cant sleeping problems be solved without medication, even if it's on natural resources? NyQuil, Benadryl.. never heard of any of those.

Tizzalicious
07-17-2006, 10:50 AM
Those are American brands that probably aren't allowed in the EU. There are a lot of sleeping meds in the US. And commercials that advertise them, despite their horrible side-effects (and the fact that they are so powerful it's not allowed to operate heavy machinery afterwards and stuff.)

- WCM

Nina
07-17-2006, 10:52 AM
I really dont like that idea :[
I mostly think: Isnt there a REASON why so many people on the other part of the planet do *not* allow them? Why dont they consider that?

Tizzalicious
07-17-2006, 11:05 AM
I really dont like that idea :[
I mostly think: Isnt there a REASON why so many people on the other part of the planet do *not* allow them? Why dont they consider that?
I think they do consider that. But I mean it's a matter of how much restriction you want. There are many chemicals that are allowed in most EU countries, that Denmark has not allowed into it, because they might be dangerous.

But yes a pill for every problem, is not a good solution at all.

the_GoDdEsS
07-17-2006, 01:26 PM
Sleeping pills never helped me. They only made me feel even more fucking worse. What always knocked me out though were antihistaminics (spelling?). I don't have any allergy, I think but when there were situations in which I had to take them I slept like a bear in winter.

Sunny
07-17-2006, 01:31 PM
I think they do consider that. But I mean it's a matter of how much restriction you want. There are many chemicals that are allowed in most EU countries, that Denmark has not allowed into it, because they might be dangerous.

my favorite shampoo had to be reformulated before it could be sold in the EU.

and the original formula is still sold in the US.
.....thought i'd share. >_>

Rocky-girl
07-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Like Tizz I mustn't wake up early, and my computer is free whole night, so I go to bed in the morning and wake up in the afternoon, this I like more, because I can sit neaar comuputer as long as I want.
Like Simona I don't like pills and prefer not to sleep at all, because if I do, I'll want to sleep all day.
My advise is very simple more coffee and talkative and active friends.

noodlesfan
07-17-2006, 01:55 PM
Sometimes going for a walk at 3 in the morning helps me sleep. It doesn't though when people pull up to you and think you're a drug dealer. God forbid it's the cops that do this.

Sunny
07-17-2006, 01:59 PM
My advise is very simple more coffee and talkative and active friends.

somehow i don't think dealing with insomnia is that easy, but that might be just me.

Kerr
07-17-2006, 02:09 PM
What always knocked me out though were antihistaminics (spelling?)
Are you thinking of antihistamines? From what I gather, they're anti-allergy drugs, so I thought so.

At the moment, I have a similar problem to Josh. I naturally fall asleep at around 2-ish in the morning and get up between 11 and 12. In the past, I have woken up at 1 in the afternoon though. Because I am working 5 shifts a week for the summer holidays at the moment, sometimes I have to get up at 10 or 9 (for 11-7 or 10-8 shifts, respectively). But I normally feel really lazy and HAVE to lie in. Sometimes I set my alarm from 11 or 10, but I just prefer to lie-in (unless I have a shift). For me though, 8-9 hours of sleep seems fine. Sooner or later I am going to have to change my sleeping habits - I just want to laze around for now. I am going to try getting up earlier (try any time between 9 and 10) and eventually I will fall tired at later times. I also find it's best not to use the computer right before bedtime.

I also find that long lie-ins can make you too tired as well, which is why getting even a mere 7 hours of sleep after having to get up at 9 for a 10-6 shift actyally does me some good too. Coffee helps a bit - only a bit though. I found that for most school days, it didn't help a lot - my state of mind was still not too good.

Does anyone else get nights where they can;t fall asleep until as late (or early?) as 4 or even 6 in the morning? I have had really bad nights like that. Ugh.

Nina
07-17-2006, 02:13 PM
my favorite shampoo had to be reformulated before it could be sold in the EU.

and the original formula is still sold in the US.
.....thought i'd share. >_>

Yeah I get what you're saying... but if someone actually suffers from Insomnia, it has actual reasons, right? Usually something pychological, let it be stress of any kind. Shouldnt it be better to try to deal with the stress instead of taking happy pills to feel better in that moment, but not as a whole? In general I am not keen on taking pills unless someone is in actual problems and cant get out of it anymore unless he gets medical help. ya know?
This isnt even completely directed at you, I just quoted you and based my post on that quote :P I just talk a lot right now because I'm tired and waiting. Forgive me.

the_GoDdEsS
07-17-2006, 02:20 PM
Are you thinking of antihistamines? From what I gather, they're anti-allergy drugs, so I thought so.

Yep, I think that might be the correct word. I couldn't be bothered to look it up. Thank you.

Personally I pulled 8 months of my life sleeping 3-6 hours because I could not sleep properly and worked 10-12. I know I've mentioned it before. Recently improved immensely. And I don't wanna do that ever again. It did not kill me but it's just wrong and you can't function properly like that.

Kerr
07-17-2006, 02:31 PM
I had similar problems going to school - the recent years were a point when I just simply wasn't used to getting up early after late nights, and my mind just slowed down generally and didnít function properly - it was my natural academic abilities that paid off in the final exams in the end because I rarely got a lot of work done in the last several months of school this year (otherwise, I would have been screwed); I even actually fell asleep in some lessons. But it naturally happened to fall asleep late anyway - using the PC as the last minute thing and not going to bed until almost midnight and falling asleep an hour or 2 later, hence only getting 5-6 hours of sleep. Not good. Though the later nights were more due to bad planning of my time. I will have to try and improve on it once I start living independently otherwise it will really fuck me up (especially for work as an adult). That's partly why I prefer day shifts at my workplace.

Sunny
07-17-2006, 02:46 PM
Yeah I get what you're saying... but if someone actually suffers from Insomnia, it has actual reasons, right? Usually something pychological, let it be stress of any kind. Shouldnt it be better to try to deal with the stress instead of taking happy pills to feel better in that moment, but not as a whole? In general I am not keen on taking pills unless someone is in actual problems and cant get out of it anymore unless he gets medical help. ya know?
This isnt even completely directed at you, I just quoted you and based my post on that quote :P I just talk a lot right now because I'm tired and waiting. Forgive me.

i think you made a very good point, and people do turn to pills way too fast instead of trying to fix the problem in other ways. if the problem can be helped with "natural" remedies or changes in activity, awesome. but on the other hand, i am somewhat bothered by healthy, happy people who say "what, insomnia? become more active" or "depression? um, work out, think happy thoughts, take a bubble bath!". you won't fix actual conditions with stuff like that.

this is not to say temporary sleeping problems can't be solved with more activity, and temporary bad mood won't improve after a workout and a bubble bath. it's just that sometimes things aren't that simple, and it bothers me when people (not you) assume that they are.

Nina
07-17-2006, 02:51 PM
Ooohh yes, I know. I hate it when people dont take depression or other actual problems seriously. On the other hand I also hate people (yes, the people) who act like drama queens and speak of being depressed when they arent. The only problem I have with that is the fact that they give the real depressed people a bad image/name/whatever with that behaviour. That problem is bad enough for me to hate them all, yayz.
But what you said...this is exactly why I want to study psychology.
Yes, that's very offtopic. But whatev :P

Sunny
07-17-2006, 03:00 PM
agreed about the drama queens. while i don't feel like i can judge what's "real depression" and what's not, there -are- people who are SO OBVIOUSLY faking it for attention/pouting all the time/etc. drives me nuts. it's their shit that makes REAL mental problems not be taken seriously and the suffering person be perceived as being "emo" or "an attention whore".

rar rar rar!

the_offsprings_monkey
07-17-2006, 03:07 PM
Ahh sleep! I hate it and love it. It depends on where I am, if I'm at my girlfriends house I can sleep like a baby at about 10-11pm and get up at a good time like 7-8am, but if I'm at my flat or my parents, I cannot sleep at all, I fall asleep at crap times like 2-3am and have to be woken up at 7:30am. I've never really been able to sleep at all, especially when I have things on my mind, that's really horrid.

Rocky-girl
07-17-2006, 03:09 PM
somehow i don't think dealing with insomnia is that easy, but that might be just me.
I have one ability that I like very much, I can stay awake, hungry, thirsty,etc for a long time, but if I start eating, drinking, sleeping I can't stop.

One of my the worst day in school was: I woke up that day at 7 am, I had been writing a competition in school for 6,5 hours. I didn't sleep at all, that was a nervous night, one of the worst I ever had, on the other day at 9 am I went to school, them I went to study Maths for 6 hours. I went to bed at 11pm. That was awful, but now when I had to stay awake I remember that 2 days and think if I could do that I can do this)))

- -Lauren- -
07-17-2006, 04:55 PM
Can't sleep? Get a Coldplay album.

But seriously, when I can't sleep I get Benadryl, milk, and a banana. Or you could do easy exercises to wear you out. DDRMAX is good for that.

Llamas
07-17-2006, 08:12 PM
I have terrible insomnia :( but it's currently better. It's very hard work to live a 1st shift life for me.

coke_a_holic
07-17-2006, 08:16 PM
I have mild insomnia, meaning I'm just a night person. I can stay up all night if I want to, I actually went to bed at 6:30 in the morning last friday thanks to Adriann. I sleep when I want to, and the caffeine doesn't make that any earlier than 3 or 4, in general. Benadryl helps, but excercising doesn't. It just riles me up and gets me going.

Betty
07-17-2006, 11:36 PM
I took sleeping medication once. It was Buckley's nighttime. I was sick and delirious and it made me high and knocked me out. Such a wonderful, wonderful thing. Since then I've avoided sleeping pills like the plague cause I KNOW I could easily become addicted. I'd prefer to drink a beer or smoke a joint (but I don't do either of those things to get to sleep, no worries, although they have the tendency to make me sleepy if it's late).

Sleep is definitely one of my favourite topics. Every article I read comes to a totally different conclusion from the last, and every person I talk to has totally different sleep habits.

I wouldn't suggest staying up all night as a way to fix the problem. I tried the rollover a couple of times in the spring and I was so tired by like 6PM or so that I'd either go to sleep too early the next day or end up taking an extended "nap" until like midnight and then staying up anyway. If I did manage to stay up until a reasonable hour the next night, I'd sleep so long the next day that I'd end up not being tired the NEXT night. So it really didn't fix things very well.

I would suggest exercise for sure. The thing is, you don't just need like a 30 min. stroll around the block. But an intense 3-4 hours of activity will knock you out. So... it's pretty rare that that actually happens. I would also suggest reading. It really does work. And if you don't get sleepy, well, if you actually lay in bed reading for like 3 hours, then that's pretty impressive, but at least you're resting.

Out of the people I know, I definitely have the worst sleep habits. I haven't ever met anybody worse. I'll often go three or four days on 2-4 hours of sleep. I'm a basketcase, but I can function. I don't even drink coffee, really. And then I start getting used to being a basketcase, and don't realize how awful it felt until I start actually sleeping regular amounts for a week or so. Getting 5 hours of sleep is a really GOOD night. There are a couple of problems. For one I'm a total night person and as soon as night rolls around I'm wide awake and have no desire to sleep. I also hate, hate, hate waking up in the morning so if I'm on vacation or something I just sleep in everyday. But if I have school or work I do get up and just don't get any sleep. Also, there's just not enough time in the day for me to do everything I want. I enjoy sleep, but I feel like I waste too much time doing it. Nowadays I'm probably getting about 6-7 hours of sleep per night and that is totally sufficient and quite a lot. Sometimes stretching to 5 or 8, but that's fine too. I think what saves my ass is the fact that I sleep solid pretty much every night. Quality over quantity. Also, I eat healthy so that probably gives me lots of energy.

0r4ng3
07-18-2006, 05:51 AM
Can't sleep? Get a Coldplay album.
I can't believe I didn't say that.

This thread was quite the coincidence, because the night following it's creation (last night), I had the most difficult time trying to fall asleep. EVER.

JoY
07-19-2006, 06:47 AM
it's the most horrible thing to WAIT for sleep. it's just.. oh geez, I can't even describe how much I fucking hate it.

joining in the fun: hello, my name is Isabella [insert "hello Isabella!"] & I have no control over my own body whatsoever. well, that sounds muchos worse than it is, but there are certain things in life I don't seem to have much control over, including dayrhythm. when I was becoming a member of the fraternity/sorority they let me sleep for about 3 hours per night & everyone was doing pretty much alright, except me. I'd fall asleep sitting & even standing up, right in the middle of conversations, or when bringing food to my mouth, you name it. hope-less. Ritalin is supposed to wake me up in the morning, but when the alarm rings when I should take it, I jam it into my mouth & easily sleep for another three hours. the way I sleep often doesn't give me rest; I talk, I kick, I cry, I laugh, I dream, I influence dreams... I used to sleepwalk like crazy when I was younger. late at night I can't get myself to go to bed. I know if I do before I feel I'm ready, I won't fall asleep anyway. this can be till 6/7 in the morning. usually I don't fall asleep before 2/3 am & don't get me wrong, I like watching my boyfriend sleep, but I hate it when he wakes me up in the morning at a time that I didn't get the chance to catch a full night of rest. I've tried to shift this to normal times - tried to go to bed when everyone else does & the colour of the sky says it's required, & I tried to get up at a time everyone starts their day. [insert wild nodding & applause]

I almost started a rant about serotonin & melatonin, sleeping pills & medication, but I decided most people here really don't need that kind of unpersonal bullshit taken from a fucking book. especially Josh, who started the topic after all.

0r4ng3
07-19-2006, 06:56 AM
For the past couple of days, I tried going to sleep at an earlier time, like 11pm. However, my body's been interpreting this as a nap, so I wake up again at 12 and can't go to sleep again until 2am. It sucks.

What was that one medicine that makes you go to sleep? NyQuil? I think I just might overdose on it this week.

JoY
07-19-2006, 06:59 AM
For the past couple of days, I tried going to sleep at an earlier time, like 11pm. However, my body's been interpreting this as a nap, so I wake up again at 12 and can't go to sleep again until 2am. It sucks.
*nods wildly*

yes, I have that a lot too. but that's often only if I haven't slept properly in weeks & went to bed way too late every single night. normally when I go to bed around that time, I just lay awake.