PDA

View Full Version : people need to mind their own business

Sunny
07-18-2006, 12:16 PM
ok, so i just picked up a neighborhood paper off my doorstep... and saw a little article that made me pretty pissed.

this is NYC-centric and quite insignificant compared to other people's problems, so don't go telling me there are people dying of cancer and starving children and i'm a bad person for complaining about this. ok? ok.

a little bit of a background... i live 2 blocks away from a large park. i have a dog, as do tons of people in my neighborhood. the park is the ultimate dog hangout, obviously, and everyone loves it.

it's illegal to let your dogs run off leash during daytime hours, and it totally makes sense. however, it's ok to let your dog roam free from 9 pm to 9 am. you know, hours during which most people don't usually visit parks... unless they're walking their dogs!

there is also a lake with a dog beach where the dogs can swim off leash. my own dog doesn't swim, but i like to get him off the leash at night so he can hang out with his doggy friends and chase squirrels freely and all that.

nice, right?

now, the park is located in BROOKLYN.. and some community from Queens, a whole different borough, is filing a lawsuit. their goal is to abolish off leash hours/doggy beach use. IN A BROOKLYN PARK.

does anybody see a problem with that?
i mean, fuck, they don't even LIVE here. if they want to make off leash hours illegal in Queens, well, shit, go for it. this is, however, NONE of their god damned business, and i just can't see why they even care.

i understand that sometimes people from Queens make trips to the park and they don't wanna be terrorized by a bloodthirsty army of vicious toy terriers, shih-tzus and dachshunds on the loose, but come on. at 9 pm a person should be HOME. which is, yknow, QUEENS. not a park. in BROOKLYN.

And maybe they should worry about some of the issues THEIR borough has, which, from what i've heard, are far worse than dogs roaming off leash after 9 pm.

h8 h8 h8 :(

killer_queen
07-18-2006, 12:34 PM
Some people don't have anything to do. That's why they love bothering the others for no reason. Or just to feel themselves important.

Since we've moved in this apartment our neighbours are complaining about my cat. Christ, it's just a tiny, little cat. She doesn't make any sound, she doesn't annoys anyone and most of important thing is she stays at home all day. How can they be so stupid?

Seems like they want to fight for their rights. And when they realize there's no need to do it they just try to make up a new right.

Sunny
07-18-2006, 01:00 PM
yeah, it feels like they're bitching for the sake of bitching. ug.

what's your kitty's name?

Rocky-girl
07-18-2006, 01:04 PM
Yes, there are such people they hate all around them. It's just such people. The best thing that we can make is not to listen to them. I see some old ladies crying at children, just because they were running in the yard and playing noisy game, but they are children! They must run and play and scream! Weird people!

killer_queen
07-18-2006, 01:04 PM
İnci. Which means pearl in English. I know, stupid but my mom insisted on it. But I still call her Cat or White Cat sometimes.

Idiot
07-18-2006, 01:28 PM
I hate communities/groups like that. We had some bloke going round the whole village asking for us to donate to a charity that helps protect animals and the environment in a county/state a good hour's drive away from us! I mean WTF?

sKratch
07-18-2006, 01:38 PM
I'm gonna assume that it's not their intention to spite you, but rather, there is some legitimate reason for this notion that you are either unaware of or haven't shared. Maybe they have problems that they feel merit overbearing legislation, for instance local problems in Queens whose fixing requires changes elsewhere as well. That's just a shot in the dark and I guess I'm mostly playing devil's advocate.

Sunny
07-18-2006, 02:03 PM
well, the reasoning is that the juniper park civic association believes letting dogs go off leash between 9 pm and 9 am is a violation of the city health code, not to mention a "safety issue".

the lawsuit was rejected by the judge, but they decided to refile.

jpca did not even allow for a fenced dog run in their own park, for the record. FENCED.

0r4ng3
07-18-2006, 02:04 PM
This actually reminds me of that PSP White incident a week ago. They pulled the ad in that one place (Amsterdam, I think?) because Americans were so offended by it.

Sunny
07-18-2006, 02:06 PM
hahah, oh yes. that was ridiculous. >_<

the_GoDdEsS
07-18-2006, 02:17 PM
In general such things just keep getting issued because of certain senile or bored individuals who have nothing better to do than send letters of complains over and over. Until something has to be done because even the persons responsible have no choice left.

Nina
07-18-2006, 02:52 PM
Well, a dog chased me today and as a result I fell into a huge pile of stone things in someone's garden. Now my ass hurts. Needless to say this all happened because I am scared of dogs.

Yet I find this entire issue unbelievable ridiculous. Just like a lot of people here I also believe that some people have too much time on their hands, and it doesnt do anyone any good.

I just...dont see the problem at all. It baffles me.

JohnnyNemesis
07-18-2006, 02:55 PM
I agree as far as this particular issue is concerned, but I vehemently disagree with the sentiment here that anyone who causes a fuss about something is a loser or has too much time on their hands.

I think actually doing something to affect change, whether it's letter-writing, protesting or any other method of expressing dissent concerning whatever one feels uncomfortable about is a hell of a lot more respectable than just complaining about complaining.

Nina
07-18-2006, 03:00 PM
That's true and I personally agree, but it's difficult to handle this (in general) because people find different things important. In this particular case the issue went to court but they didnt care (as far as I understood), I guess that was a clear "we dont care" statement, and people should accept that instead of still going on. I dont just refer to this case alone, though; what I'm trying to say is that usually people never get tired of doing something like that, which might be a good thing, but most of the time nobody.cares, and it can turn into a bad thing.

0r4ng3
07-18-2006, 03:03 PM
I agree as far as this particular issue is concerned, but I vehemently disagree with the sentiment here that anyone who causes a fuss about something is a loser or has too much time on their hands.

I think actually doing something to affect change, whether it's letter-writing, protesting or any other method of expressing dissent concerning whatever one feels uncomfortable about is a hell of a lot more respectable than just complaining about complaining.
I don't mind the fact that they want change, it's just that it shouldn't be their place to say it. Don't you think they're overstepping their bounds a bit?

Nina
07-18-2006, 03:04 PM
I needed an entire post, he said it with one sentence ;(
*goes off to cry a little*

JohnnyNemesis
07-18-2006, 03:05 PM
I don't mind the fact that they want change, it's just that it shouldn't be their place to say it. Don't you think they're overstepping their bounds a bit?

I do think they're overstepping their bounds, but I covered that in the first sentence of my post. I agree with everyone on this particular issue.

Sunny
07-18-2006, 03:41 PM

I agree, but only to a certain extent. i think a nation of apathetic people who never speak up because "it won't make a difference anyway" would be nothing short of a nightmare. however, the opposite side of the spectrum doesn't look too good to me, either.

i am bothered/made uncomfortable by things on a daily basis, and i'm sure a lot of other people can say the same thing. i don't like that subway stations are not air-conditioned, that fines for forgetting a pooper scooper are really high, that the garbage truck comes VERY early on the weekends and wakes me up, and i don't like that i'm not allowed to have a dishwasher because of noise levels.

i also could do without some of the ridiculous-ass commercials on tv.

i'm sure i could petition against any of these things just because they bug me. however, i don't have the sense of entitlement, the self righteous attitude OR the ego necessary for doing something like that. if i were to petition, i would consider what effect the issue has on my community, whether it is important or a minor inconvenience, and finally, whether it is my place to speak up against it.

there are people, however, who feel that everything that bothers them to the slightest extent is an issue worth raising hell about. somehow they have the hubris to believe that everyone else should listen, be concerned AND change the things they don't like. such behavior only distracts people from real, community-wide issues that need a quick solution. i don't find that respectable - i consider it to be a bad case of being a spoiled brat and a whiny, arrogant loser.

sorry. :/

JohnnyNemesis
07-18-2006, 03:53 PM
I agree 100%. The thing is, your post there is the first time anyone's ever bothered to make that distinction, and it's about damn time someone did, because everyone was sounding ridiculous.

HornyPope
07-18-2006, 04:00 PM
The difference between you and others is you're not spoiled nor sheltered. You don't pressure for changes because you realize how mariginal it is. Other people don't have your life experience, they don't realize how comfortable they sit, where some doogs pooping or whatever can make or break their day.

My suggestion is ignore the bylaws and go by as you were. Try talking to the officer if you get ticketed, explain your situation, he'll probably understand if he's a logical fellow. Otherwise you may contest it in courts--and I don't mean go and fight DA SYSTEM, but just to stand your ground.
At worse, pay up. Consider it a smart-tax, a price to pay for living among very average populace.

Mota Boy
07-18-2006, 10:37 PM
Get a motion started among dog owners in Brooklyn to require people in Queens to STFU. There's still time to get it on the fall ballot if you get enough signatures.

XYlophonetreeZ
07-18-2006, 10:42 PM
Duh, just send the Queens community this picture:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v435/TheUnholyNightbringer/stfu.jpg

Hopefully that'll clear the whole thing up.

the_GoDdEsS
07-18-2006, 10:47 PM

Now don't get me wrong. Things like that are justified because shit happens. But I was talking about people who really do it just to spite the council and their neighbourhood. And I used to know plenty of those types.